quality time & homemade bread

September 25, 2010

September 25, 2010 001

Did you know that  A LOT of people leave their socks on the counter in the world? It is really quite convenient. Pot holder, kitchen counter rag, or.. just a decoration for fun. It’s even better when they’re extra big for extra the fun. All I can say is, at least they were clean Husband… at least they were clean. It also helps when the Husband foregoes his plans of going to bed to help you dry dishes because he feels bad that you’re “always in the kitchen cleaning”. I bring the messes upon myself though!

Anyways, moving on… today was probably one of the best Saturdays I have had in a long time. After my pancakes this morning (which I am glad you all thought looked delicious!), I  blogged, cleaned, did some laundry, and went for a quick 3.5 miler. I had plans with Mommasita today and was really excited. We used to spend most Saturdays together grocery shopping, doing lunch, and hanging out. We really haven’t had the opportunity to do this since the wedding.

I’ll be the first to admit that I really dislike gym shoes unless I’m running/hiking/etc. I would rather wear flats, boots… anything but gym shoes. This is why I love these….

September 25, 2010 010

My rule of thumb? If I’m going to wear gym shoes, they better be Coach gym shoes.

We started off our morning by going to a bust of a farmer’s market in Bolingbrook. We thought it would be a good one because it’s held in a popular area, but it was horrible. So, we went to Whole Foods, which was conveniently a 15 minute drive away at that point! We only got a few staples here — I wanted to get some things from the bulk bins (quinoa, figs, etc.) and I decided my next bulk bin purchase is going to be millet. It is so cheap!

September 25, 2010 023

After we went to WF, we saw that is was almost lunch time. Since we were already in the area (kind of), we decided to go to Sweet Tomatoes for lunch. It was only right. It was pretty funny though. Mommaita said, “What are we going to do for lunch today?” We just both turned our heads slowly at each other with the same sheepish grin on our faces. What can I say? Like mother, like daughter.

Fortunately, on our way we passed through Downers Grove which has the most amazing Farmer’s Market ever!

September 25, 2010 025September 25, 2010 020

I saw my fair of some crazy looking gourds!

September 25, 2010 021

I think if there were a book along the same lines of “The Ugly Duckling” for pumpkins, this guy would have been the main character.

Gross!

September 25, 2010 022

They even had “market musicians”. I’m pretty sure they were high school students, but they were really good!

September 25, 2010 024

If you’ve never heard of Sweet Tomatoes (or Soup Plantation), it is basically a Soup and Salad bar buffet…. aka: my dream come true.

Please don’t just me for my following plate plates. By plates I mean 3… and then maybe a little bit more.

September 25, 2010 026

I don’t even know if my next plate even counts.. it was a side plate with beets, pickles, and sunflower seeds. Sometimes, you just need a little bit more room for those extras.

September 25, 2010 028

I also had some amazing side salads — one was a roasted potato salad and the other was a bean and cilantro salad. Both were delicious!

September 25, 2010 029

After lunch, Mommaista and I also went to Trader Joe’s(PUMPKIN BUTTER!!!) and Costco. I could spend all day grocery shopping and going to different stores.. which is why I loved my Saturday!

When I got home, I was feeling really ambitious. While I love loaves of bread, buying gluten free loaves can get really pricey. I’ve paid up to $8 for a pretty small loaf of bread.

Now, let it be known that I have never dabbled in the art of gluten free sandwich bread making… or any bread making in general. For some reason it has always really intimidated me. Perhaps it’s the whole “yeast” thing… I know all breads have yeast in them, but just the thought of baking with it kind of scares me.

However, I tried it out with a recipe I found online here. The website claims it is “really good sandwich bread”.

They did not lie.

September 25, 2010 031

September 25, 2010 032

September 25, 2010 033

September 25, 2010 034

Can you believe it? I did it!

September 25, 2010 035

I will never buy a gluten free loaf again. Honestly — this was SO easy! If you’re afraid of making your own bread, don’t be! It was so simple!

September 25, 2010 037

The Husband approved this bread too — he thought it was really good!

September 25, 2010 038

I love how you can see the flax seed sprinkles in the loaf. Next time I think I will experiment with different seeds/grains in the loaf as well to bump up the nutritional values.

September 25, 2010 039

For dinner, I busted out a new buy of mine Mommasita’s (which she so graciously bought for me — thanks Mom!). This dip was really good!

September 25, 2010 041

The ingredient list was absolutely stellar as well. I know the “uses” says to add cream cheese, but I wish I had hummus on hand, because this would have made an awesome spread with hummus!

September 25, 2010 042

For dinner, I roasted up some squash I bought at the farmer’s market. Remember when I had that huge “acorn squash” that fed the husband and I for 3-4 meals? I’m surprised no one corrected me, but it was actually a kobacha squash! I bought another one today and roasted about 1/4 of it using the same recipe as my Roasted “Acorn” Squash.

September 25, 2010 043

On the side I had an open faced sandwich on my gluten free loaf (it was still warm, yum!) with the artichoke spread, mustard, and many veggies.

September 25, 2010 044

After dinner, I did some more…. baking! I’ve been a baking fiend this weekend — I finished up the night with the Husband’s cookies (I bake a batch every week so I don’t have to buy cookies) and a cake for my niece’s birthday tomorrow.  Needless to say, I was wiped out when it was all said and done.

The husband and I just snuggled up and watched a movie… but we watched it on his laptop. I found it to be hilarious we were watching a movie on the laptop when we have this:

September 25, 2010 045

Do you see that nice TV in the background? Unfortunately, my sister is hoarding our DVD player cord somewhere in her house when she borrowed the DVD player for the kids one day. Oh well, it still worked and we got to watch the movie, no big deal!

It was a great day — I can barely remember the last time I had a “relaxing” Saturday where I could just do what I wanted to do!

I hope you all have been having a fabulous weekend!

Question: How many grocery stores do you go to while doing your weekly shopping? I go to anywhere from 1-4 stores — it depends on who has the best deals and what I actually need!

PS: Don’t forget to enter my LARABAR GIVEAWAY! It ends Monday, September 27 at midnight.

Simply Life September 26, 2010 at 7:08 am

Sounds like a great day! Isn’t making your own bread the best?! I’m telling you – once I started it I can’t handle buying it in the store…it’s so much more rewarding and cost effective to make your own! I have to get better at sandwich bread though.

healthyexposures September 26, 2010 at 7:21 am

you saturday sounds perfect!! ilove all the farmers market, tj’s, wf’s and soup plantation lovin’ – and the baking!! i love baking my own bread, too. i’ve decided that the key is following instructions…something I fail at…and so I usually produce and ugly but still delicious loaf of bread! haha
I go to 1-2 stores. Either the big daddy – Price Chopper (blech – nowhere near as cool as TJs or WFs, but it’s all we’ve got!) and the co-op. The Co-op is priiiicey, though – so that’s about every other week ;)

Momma September 26, 2010 at 7:39 am

Yesterday was THE BEST! Had so much fun with you too!!!
BYT.. just ate the pumpkin pancakes. Delicious!!!
However your neice Alyssa- not interested. She ate corn flakes ( my glueten free honey’d ones) shhh. What she doens’t know only makes her healthier!

Megan September 26, 2010 at 7:40 am

What a fun day!! Your homemade bread looks awesome… you know what it would taste good with? TJ’s PUMPKIN BUTTER!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 26, 2010 at 7:55 am

That sounds like such a great day with your mom! I love spending my Saturdays going to farmer’s markets and grocery stores too!

That’s so awesome you found an easy GF bread recipe! When I was being tried out for Celiac, I almost went crazy from the lack of good GF bread! It was always so dry and crumbly. Yours looks amazing though. :D

Lisa September 26, 2010 at 9:12 am

That bread looks delicious! thanks so much for the recipe! I don’t eat wheat either and I cannot wait to try that out!

Charmaine September 26, 2010 at 10:19 am

Sounds like a perfect Saturday! I love going to different grocery stores to scout out the deals…I try to do that when my hubby is busy because he finds it boring haha! Also, the bread looks so awesome…I definitely need to have a go at making my own. And I want to find this pumpkin butter badly!!

cleaneatingchelsey September 26, 2010 at 2:45 pm

My husband isn’t too big on grocery shopping either – he does like it though when I come home and show him the “money saved” portion on the bottom of the receipt!!

highonhealthy September 26, 2010 at 10:47 am

Ooooh, that bread looks great! I try to limit my wheat intake as much as possible so I haven’t had bread in forever. All the GF bread in my grocery store has less than stellar ingredients so I’ve gone without. I really need to get around to making my own because that looks fabulous!

cleaneatingchelsey September 26, 2010 at 2:46 pm

It was honestly the easiest thing to do EVER!! As long as you have a couple of hours for the rising/baking, you’ll be good to go!

Lauren September 26, 2010 at 12:20 pm

That sounds like my perfect Saturday too! Nice job on the gluten free bread :) I usually have to make at least 3 stops to get all my groceries for the week which is slightly annoying but I don’t mind running around for good food.

Sara @ myfancytuna.blogspot.com September 26, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I love grocery shopping! Everyone thinks I’m weird for liking it, but I love taking my time when I go grocery shopping – it’s relaxing to me :) I usually only go to one store, though. There’s not much to choose from where I live. I want to try making bread now that you say it’s easy – I’m so intimidated by yeast! I think I’m going to make some b.nut squash quick bread today…I’m hoping it’ll taste the same as pumpkin in a bread.

cleaneatingchelsey September 26, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Oooo yum! I keep seeing butternut squash shake recipes – I think I want to try that too!

Meagan September 26, 2010 at 3:12 pm

AHH! You go to the DG farmer’s market too! Such a small world! I highly recommend their market, everything is always so fresh!

cleaneatingchelsey September 26, 2010 at 3:41 pm

We loved it! If it wasn’t a half hour drive, I would go every Saturday… well, I think I still will! :)

Amy @ Second City Randomness September 26, 2010 at 3:31 pm

The yeast is what makes me shy away from bread making as well- I remember how frustrated my mom would get if it wouldn’t work out… lol

And Sweet Tomatoes!!! It’s been too long!

cleaneatingchelsey September 26, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I couldn’t even remember how long ago I had been at Sweet Tomatoes.. which made it time to go!! :)

izzy September 26, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Oh my gosh, your bread looks amazing! It legit looks like those fancy pant Ezekial loaves …that hemmorage my wallet so :( . Truth: I’m scared of yeast (or baking with it, atleast), but if you say it’s easy…I may have to try that recipe!!

I go to 3-4 stores for my weekly shopping. First I scour the fliers, collect my coupons and head out. I don’t mind, though – I LOVE grocery shopping!! :)

izzyy
xox

Lele September 26, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I think your husband may somehow have met my sister, who likes to leave her bra in our mail basket.

Jess @ MTL Veggie September 26, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Congrats on the bread-making! I’m still super intimidated and have yet to attempt it, but yours looks absolutely delicious.

Jess September 26, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Love all the FRESHNESS of this post! Gotta love WF, although I’ve never been. SO JEALOUS :D