lemon garlic roasted eggplant

October 1, 2010

Rabbit Rabbit! Happy October 1st! Did you know you are supposed to say “rabbit rabbit” to people on the first of every month? While I do not go around saying this, I always think about it. In my favorite book series when I was younger (Babysitter’s Little Sister by Ann M. Martin), the main character Karen always said “Rabbit Rabbit” on the first of every month. In actuality, she said it to her stuffed animals the second she woke up. It is horribly wrong that I remember this. Someone please tell me you remember this — otherwise I will just go hang my head in shame and go read another book.

Anyways, let’s skip most of the daily eats today. Why? Well, how many times do you REALLY want to see Overnight Oats a la Mode, Maple Butternut Squash Casserole, and globs of hummus shmeared over whole carrots? Let’s be perfectly honest with ourselves here.  No one should be subject to the kind of pain which ensues after meal repeating as many times as I have done this week.

However, that’s in the past. Let’s focus on the present for the moment, shall we? Remember when I said yesterday I had to run an errand to go to the bank?

October 1, 2010 007

Goodbye old car….

October 1, 2010 008

HEELLOOOOOOO NEW CAR!!!

October 1, 2010 009

I am so excited — I have wanted a new car for well, years. I was actually going to buy a car last year, but life got in the way. Instead, I bought a house and paid for a wedding. Good thing I married a man who is freakishly crazed about the kind of vehicles we drive.

October 1, 2010 010

Isn’t she pretty? I want to drive it… now! Good thing I have a lot of errands on my plate tomorrow!

This evening for dinner, I had a couple of different veggies to use up since I want to make an appearance at the farmer’s market tomorrow. I still had about 1/4 of a kabocha squash left and a whole eggplant still from last week’s purchases! I am always craving roasted veggies — let’s be honest here. Most nights the only reason why I cook anything but roasted veggies is because the husband would whither away and die if I didn’t make him some carbs. Thankfully, the husband likes hamburgers… and I don’t. So, this eggplant was all for me.

Lemon Garlic Roasted Eggplant

• 1 eggplant, cut in half, then cut into wedges (you should have 16 total)
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • garlic & pepper to taste

Place your eggplant wedges into a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil into the bowl and top with lemon juice, garlic, and pepper. Toss the eggplant in the bowl with your hands so they are evenly covered. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes, flipping once at the halfway mark.

October 1, 2010 013

October 1, 2010 014

October 1, 2010 015

October 1, 2010 017

This eggplant was so good — it was crispy on the outside, but nice and gooey on the inside. The skins were nice and tender (sometimes eggplant skins can be tough) and there was no bitterness at all!

October 1, 2010 018

Who says making delicious food has to be difficult? I am all for easy, simple recipes. The majority of the food I make takes almost nothing to make it! The only thing you need to do is plan to make some sort of dinner each night. I usually start cooking around 5:00 or 5:30, with dinner on the table no later than 6:30 each night. Most of the time is down time for me as well. Once I start dinner, I can more than likely walk away from it.

It really is a matter of wanting to cook too. I am instantly relaxed when I am in the kitchen. I could spend all day cooking or baking. But for all of you out there who have commented that you don’t have the time, I promise you do!!

I’m off to go relax for the rest of the night. I swear, the husband and I just might be the most boring pair of 23 year olds out there. I’m over it though — I am far too tired on a Friday night to do anything fun.

Question: How long does it usually take you to prepare your meals? Do you cook every day or rely on one meal to carry you through a few days?

PS — For those of you who guessed, I paid $5 for the vase from Target. I love clearance sales.

Donna October 1, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Nice car! Who won the Lara Bars? I’m waiting to be notified. :)

cleaneatingchelsey October 1, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Way to be 5 days behind momma – there is a post entitled larabar giveaway.

Lauren October 1, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Congrats on the new car! It looks beautiful! So does your eggplant dinner.

Megan October 1, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Love the new ride! And I’ve never heard of the “rabbit rabbit” thing but I think I like it. At college when I make meals they are fasttt- ten minutes maybe?! Haha it’s just easier that way!

healthyexposures October 1, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Oooh – congrats on the new car!! Very exciting. What have you named her?!
The eggplant does look delicious. For some reason, as much as I love eggplant, I’ve never just eaten it roasted, plain? Hmm!
After a day’s work, I spend about 10, 15 minutes tops making dinner. Seriously! I just want to eat and veg out. Some nights that means having leftovers (and not “blech, leftovers.” I mean “oh, I’m so glad I’ve got leftover ____” leftovers! haha) and other nights it means cooking up a quick grain, throwing it with a protein, and roasting some veggies. Still delicious ;) I do enjoy taking time on meals when I have days off, though.

highonhealthy October 1, 2010 at 8:51 pm

My meals can take anywhere from 5 minutes to over an hour, it all depends on what I feel like doing. I love trying out new recipes though so a lot of the time I’m in the kitchen for longer than most people would want to be. I don’t mind though. :)

Amy @ Second City Randomness October 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Lovin’ the new car!

And I used to read those books, too- almost forgot about them! lol I read the BSC books, too and was super excited about the movie… :)

cleaneatingchelsey October 1, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I’m pretty sure I could watch that movie tonight and be happy about it. I <3'ed Stacey – mainly because I was boy crazy.

Elizabeth October 1, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Hi :)

I just found your blog recently and I <3 reading it.

I thought I was the ONLY one who remembered that silly "Rabbit, Rabbit" saying. I haven't done it in years, but I used to say it to myself first thing in the morning when I woke up on the first of the month!

Lisa October 1, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Def. said RABBIT RABBIT this morning!

Those veggies look good. I love eggplant!

Ashlei October 2, 2010 at 6:09 am

LOVE your new car!! My first car was a civic coupe and I miss that car. :) You’ll LOVE it!

The eggplant wedges look really good! They look like fries. I love eggplant. Have a great weekend!

teenagehealthfreak October 2, 2010 at 7:34 am

nice car!!!! i like to cook…but it’s kinda nice to make some things on sunday…then your ready for the week…your eggplant looks good. i’m scared of eggplant.ew..last time i had it..it was awful..i must have done something wrong!!!! or it just wasnt’ good. and WOW $5 for that vase..it looked REALLY expensive…that’s a score! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 2, 2010 at 8:03 am

LOL I totally remember that part from those books! I’m pretty sure I read that entire series when I was younger. :P

Congrats on the new car! I know absolutely nothing about cars, but it looks like a nice one!

I never make leftovers, so I make a new dinner every night. Sometimes it takes me 15 minutes and sometimes it can take me over an hour. I don’t mind though, as long as the result is delicious. :D

Rebecca October 2, 2010 at 8:46 am

Mm i loveee roasted eggplant :) so good!

Ameena October 2, 2010 at 10:29 am

Congratulations on your new car! I love the color and I love that it’s 2-door.

I can’t wait to get rid of my mom-sedan and buy myself a two door when my lease is up in 6 months!

Enjoy your weekend and your lovely new car!

cleaneatingchelsey October 2, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Thanks! The funny thing is I wanted a SUV, but John told me I would be driving those for the rest of my life when we have kids!

thehealthyreminder October 2, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Your car is so cute! I love the color! Do you like the interior?
Also, I just found out that I love eggplant! Ahh, we have catching up to do!

cleaneatingchelsey October 2, 2010 at 1:03 pm

We sure do!!

Michal October 2, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Girl i love your new car! Its super fierce! And I have never heard of the rabbit rabbit thing, but I will say it next month!