preemptive intuitive eating

March 7, 2011

I’m a “follow a schedule” kind of person.

I like waking up at the same time, exercising at the same time, eating at the same time — well, you get the picture. I thrive off of routine and structure, and in the same respect, I am not one who does will in unpredictable situations.

It’s a good thing I became a teacher. Unless you’re the Husband — then you would have to constantly remind your wife how life can’t always be run like a classroom.

A girl can dream right?

Around the blogosphere, a lot of people talk about intuitive eating. Intuitive eating is basically a philosophy designed around listening to your own hunger cues and satisfying them in the moment. While I can agree that I do listen to my hunger cues and will eat if I am in fact hungry, I am here to tell you that I ::gasp:: often eat when I am not hungry.

(source)

Let me start off by telling you how much of a horribly cranky and not fun person I become when I am hungry. You don’t want to be around me. I’m pretty sure I’ve told you this before. But – seriously. not. joking.

With the amount of food restrictions I have, along with being a vegetarian, it is actually kind of an anxiety producing situation when I have to go somewhere and don’t know when/what I will be eating next. Yes, I can take snacks with me, but I’m a “eat 6 times a day” kind of girl who doesn’t like to miss a meal. Not to mention I have horrible digestion, so going too long without eating actually causes more harm than good in my shoes.

(source)

So, I follow a “preemptive intuitive eating” philosophy. I like to think of it as the following:

1. I eat when I am in fact hungry and stop when I am full.

2. I eat on a schedule to prevent me from getting too hungry and causing digestion issues.

3. I will eat when I am not hungry if I am going somewhere and will not have food readily available.

I think I have trained my body to become hungry around the time when I actually eat my meals and snacks because I usually get a small twinge of hunger just around the time I sit down to eat. It makes me happy. I eat at the following times on weekdays:

5:45 AM — breakfast

9:30 AM — snack

11:30 — lunch

3:00 — snack

6:00 — dinner

8:30 — snack

(source)

I’ve played around with this schedule so much and I know not to miss a meal/snack. For example — if I don’t eat my 3:00 snack, I know I will want to gnaw my arm off by the time I sit down for dinner. Then, I will end up overeating and feel sick to my stomach. Or — if I don’t eat my snack at night (even if I’m not hungry at the time) I will wake up in the middle of the night hungry because I haven’t had enough calories that day.

I rarely ‘overeat’ — one of the worst feelings in my book is being so uncomfortably stuffed that I cannot move. That is one of the reasons why I eat so frequently.

October 24, 2010 018

Of course this schedule isn’t always followed to a T. Weekends are looser and sometimes life just gets in the way. But I don’t think I will ever be a 100% intuitive eater. Because I eat smaller meals more frequently, I tend to overestimate how many calories I actually get a day (especially being a vegetarian as well). By following a schedule, it helps me to fulfill the caloric needs my body requires to function at optimal levels.

Obviously I am not a professional, and from reading this I am sure you can see that I have become in tune to my body to see what works for me. What works for me may not work for you, and that’s okay.

Question: Are you an intuitive eater?

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun March 7, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I wrote something similar to this before. I certainly consider myself an intuitive eater because I will eat what I enjoy and always pay attention to my hunger cues. However, as a busy mom I need some sort of structure and plan/routine for when I’m eating. I also can’t have a ton of options food-wise at my disposal on a food budget so meal planning is involved for me as well. I think the biggest thing is honoring our bodies with how we eat and I do that so I call myself an intuitive eater.

rebecca lustig March 7, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Intuitive eating is something I am working towards every single day. I would love nothing more than to fully trust my body and its wants and needs without inhibitions.

I”m also a six meal a day kind of girl. That way I can satisfy my 234234 cravings and taste buds without feeling like I’m missing out!

Melissa March 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm

This is a great post. I wish I could say I never overeat, but I think, especially when I eat out, I tend to want to finish what I am eating minus a few bites. This was great food for thought, thanks!

Jess@HealthyExposures March 7, 2011 at 7:22 pm

We sound very much alike! I actually appreciate you posting this, too. I tend to be hungry about the same time each day, and if I happen to skip a snack because I’m not hungry, you bet I’m ravenous by the next meal and regretting that decision! Sort of throws my whole body out of wack for the day. I’m definitely a “smaller meals with snacks” kinda girl, too. Can’t just do three big meals as I, too, hate being uncomfortably full!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 7:52 am

:) bigger meals just make me feel so weighed down!

Shanna, like Banana March 7, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I certainly *try* to be, but I often eat out of boredom or in search of some immediate satisfaction. Let’s face it food tastes good and makes me happy =)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 7:52 am

I agree – I totally have those days too!

Christina March 7, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I am also a “follow-a-schedule” kind of person. Must be why I also became a teacher. :)

Like you, I need to eat before I get crazily hungry or else I am a horrible person to be around. I also like to eat my meals around the same time everyday- except weekends, as I like to sleep in and end up having breakfast and lunch later than I usually do. I also try to avoid overeating- I hate that too full feeling!

runyogarepeat March 7, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I try to eat until I’m full because it’s a terrible feeling when I’m so full. It is hard eating out or going to people’s houses for dinner being mostly veg, so I try to bring snacks with me.

Olivia March 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I seriously LOVE your intuitive eating plan!! Those are all things I try to follow, especially the, “eat enough now so you won’t be too starving later and cause SERIOUS tummy issues!” That salad looks AHhhmazing! I’m the same way in that if I miss a snack (especially before bed) I wake up Starving in the middle of the night. Boo:( Wow we have so much in common though, I love your blog girlie;)

Kelsey March 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I am SO glad you posted on this. My nutritionist recommended that I read that book when I was recovering from disordered eating. It did help, but I also think part of being human is eating when you aren’t hungry sometimes. Doesn’t everyone? I also have a schedule at school that I follow that helps keep my hunger on tract. On the weekends, it is especially difficult for me because I have no schedule and I find my hunger out of control. I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way :)

thegrassskirt March 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm

You know that I turn into a beast when I am hungry! :) I am definitely an intuitive eater. I wasn’t always this way at all, but now I eat when I am hungry, stop when I’ve had enough, and even listen to what my body is hungry for. It is amazing how how our bodies tell us what they need if we just listen!

Sarah @ goingongoals March 7, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Great post! I am a mix between a scheduled eater and an intuitive eater. I have basic times when I usually have a snack, but am open to skipping a snack if I am not hungry.

I also like you need food or I will not be a very pretty person. So, sometimes I will eat when I am not hungry to be prepared for later when my choice of food may not be available.

Thanks for the post. I always find other people’s eating schedules interesting!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 7:52 am

So do I!

Nicki March 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Thanks for this! I have started eating atleast 6 times a day and it has really helped!

cbrady3 March 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I think it’s hard to be an intuitive eater when you have a job. You have to eat breakfast before work, you have a time period to eat lunch, and dinner is when you get home. I’d love to be able to follow cues more, and I do try by pushing lunch back a bit if I’m not hungry yet, but it isn’t always possible!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 7:53 am

I totally agree. You’re kind of confined to a schedule!

katshealthcorner March 7, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Yes, I eat intuitively. I eat six times a day too! (time for my evening snack right about now! ;) )

LOVE THIS POST!
xoxo
Kathleen

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 7, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I’m with you on eating. I like eating about 5 times a day, breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack and dinner. If I’m not hungry and skip a meal/snack, I am always so hungry by the next meal/snack. I will try and eat a small handful of nuts knowing they are nutrient dense so I don’t need to eat a lot to give my body some energy. But I rarely miss a meal. Doing this, I am always pretty energetic and also it keeps my blood sugar levels stable during the day!

Lisa March 7, 2011 at 8:13 pm

grumpy does not even describe me when I am hungry!

I like to be on a schedule, especially when eating. Luckily for me I am a teacher so I have a scheduled snack and lunch time during the school year :)

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 7, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I think we’re the same person when I read your blog. I eat around a schedule and I do get anxious if I don’t know when/where I’m going to eat next. And my fiance worries about it as well – because like you, I am THE nastiest person to be around if I haven’t eaten in a few hours. And yeah, sometimes I eat when I’m not hungry. Like half of the chocolate chip cookie dough Larabar that was calling my name a few minutes ago :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 7:53 am

We might be! :) The Husband worries the most about me getting food as well – “We’re oing to be gone for a while. DO you have snacks?” He does not like to be around me when I’m hungry!

fitnessnfoodiegirl March 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I eat around a schedule as well. I am the worst ever when I’m hungry and when I’m hungry I have to eat NOW! So I try to prevent becoming very hungry, so my body is pretty much on a schedule as well. I typically eat about 5 times per day. I like the keep my stomach happy :)

Renée March 7, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I wish I could say I’m an intuitive eater, but like you, I’m more of a schedule type of person.

Jenny March 7, 2011 at 8:25 pm

My body works like clock work. I like eating at the same time too plus after such a long time of doing it I always get hungry at the same time :)

Katelyn March 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Girl we are twins. I have been planning a post about this for a few days now, are we telepathic or what?:)

I try to eat intuitively, but the truth is that I am a creature of habit, routine, and schedules. I always eat at specific times because of my school schedule, and I have also trained my body to be hungry at certain times. Lately though, I have been trying to eat more intuitively.

Kristina @ Life as Kristina March 7, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I feel like when i’m trying to pay attention to whether or not i’m hungry I eat even more (maybe out of spite?) I love food too much:(

Emily March 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm

So not an intuitive eater. I follow a schedule like whoa. I like it, but sometimes it’s a pain when things get in the way of my sched. I try to calm myself down, not evvvvvveryday has to be the same. Guess it’s just my OCD side getting the best of me!

Michelle March 7, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I really like your attitude toward eating. I would like to say I’m an intuitive eater, but growing up, food was often some form of reward or comfort. I’m slowly getting over that, but it definitely takes time.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 7:54 am

Oh I definitely have an emotional aspect to my eating as well sometimes!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 7, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Your eating schedule looks a lot like mine. Well, except my breakfast is not at 5:45am. I’m still in bed at that time! :-)

I do think I’m an intuitive eater. I eat when I’m hungry and if I’m not hungry, I don’t eat. I eat what I crave.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 8:15 am

I love the “I eat what I crave” – me too!

Alexa Besgen March 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I wouldn’t even know how to classify myself. I think I am, but then again I sometime eat when I’m “bored,” which I definitely want to lessen. Sometimes I think it’s hard to tell!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I try to do something similar. Unless I’m really full, I try to eat at the same time of day to prevent myself from getting too hungry. I’m a monster if I’m not fed!

Alaina March 7, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I used to track my food, which helped me in my initial weight loss, and then I tried intuitive eating. I think knowing when and what I’m going to eat each day works for me. I haven’t really gained any weight from intuitive eating but it’s not as easy as I thought.

Angie @ The Fitness Apple March 7, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I also hate the ” I can’t even move type of fullness” ugh it’s the worst!!!! I trained my body to eat smaller meals now and I can’t even have half as much food as I used to be able to scarf down inn one sitting!

Katie March 7, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I turn into a beast when I am hungry. INteresting about getting GI issues when you’ve gotten to the “too hungry” stage. I’ve been getting really bad stomach cramps in the evenings, and I’ve been too busy for my pm snacks lately. Hmmmm……?

Cara Craves... March 7, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I am not that much of an intuitive eater…I just eat when I want to…
I don’t think I overindulge a lot, but I just like to eat. Most of my eating is fruit and vegetables anyways.

BrittFit March 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm

It’s actually been my new years resolution to eat intuitively and I think I’m getting a hold of it! I love the way I feel after I eat and I feel more satisfied with the things I’ve eaten. Also, I am a VERY scheduled person..I have a food schedule at school that I follow almost every day

Diana March 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I’m definitely not an intuitive eater – I have a schedule that I tend to stick to. I’m a three meals a day kind of girl, but I have to admit that hunger doesn’t play a massive part in how I eat. I eat at mealtimes, hungry or not – maybe spreading out the meal if I’m not too hungry, but I still eat the same amount. That said, I don’t necessarily eat when I’m hungry, because if I attempt to snack, it inevitably turns into a full-on carbfest and ending with massive amounts of guilt. Snacking just doesn’t work for me (I can go 8 hours without eating a meal during the day), but I realize that my eating habits are way different from everyone else.

fashionfitnessfoodie March 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I try to eat on a routine during the weeks – But during the weekend I tend to overeat entirely way too much! It’s super frustrating and I’m still searching for that balance…

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 7, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I am def an intuitive eater but sometimes I do eat when I am not hungry yet- because I too have some food restrictions/dislikes. Good post :)

Lauren March 7, 2011 at 11:09 pm

It’s really hard to be an intuitive eater when you’re on a specific work/school schedule and it’s ESPECIALLY hard if you like to eat healthy. I sometimes eat when I’m not all that hungry because it’s pretty much now or never. Did you know your body releases an enzyme at your regular meal times to tell you you’re hungry? So you’re right, you really have trained your body to eat at certain times!

Maryann (The Balanced Bean) March 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I eat a lot like you, I get hungry every couple hours so I prefer to eat several small meals throughout the day. I definitely overeat if I skip a snack…Im not the best at intuitive eating, but I can tell im definitely getting better.

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy March 7, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I would say I am intuitive eater. I have somewhat of a schedule that I like to follow when I pack my food for the day–but if I’m home all day then all bets are off! :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 8:16 am

If I’m home, it’s definitely more laid back!!

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily March 8, 2011 at 12:39 am

I am defiantly a creature of habit. I like to know how my day is structured as well as my meals.

Hungry Dancer March 8, 2011 at 2:25 am

I wish I could say I was an intuitive eater…but I also find myself on a schedule!! It’s hard for me to really know when I’m hungry!

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY March 8, 2011 at 5:09 am

I am also not an intuitive eater. Some meals, like lunch I need to eat at a certain tim because my mind just needs a break.

14yearoldvegan March 8, 2011 at 5:19 am

You’re kidding me, aaah i thought i was crazy for waking up at five thirty every weekday to make breakfast.. i have the same exact eating schedule as you. plus, i eat when i’m not hungry too, it’s a bad habit for me.. but what can you say.. food is good and if you want it, eat it. i’m glad someone else has a planned schedule :) sometimes my family gets annoyed with me because i always want something to happen at an exact time hahah

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 8:16 am

Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day! :)

Sweet Tooth Runner March 8, 2011 at 7:05 am

It’s weird because I don’t really think about it at all…I just EAT when I want to!! Sometimes I force myself to when I know I need to (like straight after a workout) but other than that I just eat whenever really! :)

movesnmunchies March 8, 2011 at 7:28 am

IM JUST LIKE YOU! i feel like im intuitive becuz i eat when im hungry but i always get hungry when im ‘supposed to’ according to my eating schedule! i eat 6 times a day too- i need to eat every few hours otherwise im a HUGE HUGE CRANK..!

Freya March 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

Ahaha this is a faboosh post! I try and eat intuitively, but I tend to stick to a schedule anyway. I could count on one hand the number of times I’ve been truly hungry for dinner in 2011! But if I don’t eat, I knowI’ll be a starvin marvin 1.5hrs later, and by then it’ll be late and I’ll get cranky (I get low blood sugar v rapidly) and it’ll be a baaad situation! IE works to a point, for me.

Trisha March 8, 2011 at 8:05 am

Sometimes I feel like we are the same person! Eating restrictions, digestive problems, having a schedule…some times I drive my family crazy because I “have” to eat at certain times. If i don’t, my digestion goes crazy, I get cranky, and when I eat the next time I will just feel sick. They have learned to let me do my thing :) Thanks for the post…it is nice to know I’m not alone!

simplynutritiouskate March 8, 2011 at 8:13 am

I think it is all about what finding what works for you and your body, I know im the same way, if I get hungry I get irritable and I hate going places and not knowing if they will have something I can eat. Thanks for the info, great post :)

Kendall March 8, 2011 at 8:19 am

Chelsea: Would you mind just giving a quick run down of your portions for your meals and snacks? Also, how long are you normally up before you eat? I find I have a hard time eating first thing in the morning and need about an hour before I really feel that hunger pang.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 9:36 am

Hi Kendall – I am hesitant to do a “daily eats” post because of others reading too into it, but I am thinking about doing one in the near future. I have to wait a half hour before eating because of medication I take every morning. However, then I usually drink lemon water and let that digest for anywhere from 20-30 minutes. So I’m usually up an hour before eating!

michele March 8, 2011 at 8:27 am

You could have been writing about me! I have the same issues, plus also being hypoglycemic. I can’t go longer than 2hrs (at most) without something. I eat preemptively and take snacks with me everywhere I go – just in case. Being a gf/df/sf/vegan who also has to avoid corn and yeast just adds to the fun – not. Really relate to the part about not being a nice person if I need to eat – drives my husband nuts.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 9:36 am

Yikes! I agree you HAVE to have food with you at all times just in case since there is so much that oculd happen with hypoglycemia!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 8, 2011 at 8:37 am

I’ve been working on intuitive eating for a long time, and I think I’ve gotten the “eat what you crave” thing down pat, but I’m still working on the timing thing. I do the same thing as you- I eat pre-emptively, because I HATE being hungry. I don’t think there’s anything bad about doing that, as long as it doesn’t cause anxiety if you CAN’T have a snack at your usual time. Plus, my meals and snack times vary based on the schedule of my day. I’d like to be a bit more intuitive when I’m home all day and know I don’t have to do the pre-emptive thing though!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 9:37 am

That’s awesome Gabriela! I defintely have gotten the “eat what you crave” thing down too. I know if I don’t eat it, I’ll end up wanting LOTS of it later!

Katy March 8, 2011 at 9:50 am

I think its funny that I am not the only person that is nasty when hungry! My boyfriend knows not to talk to me before my breakfast because he could get a nasty response back. I eat around a schedule also mine starts a little later because I do to the gym in the morning and normally go on an empty stomach because I cant with something in it. I also have issues following a schedule on the weekend my body tend to want to be lazy with the hunger also and the only time I am hungry on the weekend is in the morning and then at dinner but I do eat when I am not hungry so I do given into temptations when starving later (drive through is easier to slip up on when your starving!) Also I am loving the lunch bag just wish it kept things cold.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 8, 2011 at 9:51 am

I eat 5-6 times a day at basically the same times every day. Just like you, my body knows when to expect food so I begin to get hungry at that time.

I’m a cranky person when hungry, and nobody likes a crank so I keep snacks with me all the time just in case.

Megan (Braise The Roof) March 8, 2011 at 10:21 am

I actually think that you are more of an intuitive eater. Maybe it’s not a “spur of the moment” kind of thing for you, but the whole basis of the concept is listening to what your body really needs and you’re definitely doing that! And I’m a cranky person when I’m hungry too, so at least you’re in good company. ;)

Christine @ Merf In Progress March 8, 2011 at 11:05 am

Hey Chelsey! I had my tonsils removed on Friday and haven’t been able to read any food blogs because it’s too depressing, since all I can really eat right now is eggs. But I’m back! :-) I try to be an intuitive eater, but I do have to remind myself to eat, because sometimes I won’t notice that I’m hungry until it’s too late, then my blood sugar is out of control and I get sick/nauseous.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Well get caught up already! :) Just joking, of course! I hope you recover quickly!

Jodie March 8, 2011 at 11:25 am

I would love to be on intuitive eater. Ten years with an eating disorder has allowed my mind to rule my body. I am in recovery and working at it but Im not sure I will ever get there.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Good luck to you Jodie!

Sami March 8, 2011 at 11:43 am

i’M THE same way. very schedule based at eating! and looking at food blogs doesn’t help things! it always makes me hungry!
lol
xo.

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey March 8, 2011 at 11:53 am

I totally know how you feel about having a difficult diet and needing to bring food with you. It’s stressful to me if I can’t plan + figure it all out, because I know I will have a hard time with no food. I loved this post and I try to eat the same way. You are awesome. :)

Lisa @ Healthy Diaries March 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Intuitive eating is something I almost always do during the week. I only eat when I’m hungry. On the weekends I try my best to do the same but, of course, it doesn’t always go that way!

I truly believe in listening to yourself and eating when you’re hungry and in need of nourishing your body!

Great post! :)

Kelly March 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm

No. I am honestly not. I eat at my “scheduled times” and eat what I have planned. I rarely eat above or below that and I am usually always on schedule.

Heather @ kissmybroccoli March 8, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’m the exact same way! I have to have snacks on me at all times to prevent beig stuck in a situation where I’m caught without food and wanting to gnaw my arm off. Plus it can cause me to overeat at my meal time.

Honestly, I don’t understand how people can truly eat intuitively if they work outside the home. I work in a hospital and I never know when or sometimes IF I’ll get a lunch break so a lot of times it’s eat when you can!

thefitacademic March 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I’m currently in the process of trying to train myself to eat more frequent (and smaller) meals, so I’m forcing myself to eat when I’m not really hungry – for snacks, etc. Hopefully it’ll pay off once my body gets into the right routine!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Ditto to this whole post! I eat snacks when I’m not hungry too because I HATE the feeling of being hungry. But I don’t really think I’ve got the hang of the whole intuitive eating thing yet, especially at restaurants. I tend to be a member of the “clean your plate club” when I eat out, even when it makes me uncomfortably full. :P

Dana March 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Hi Chelsea!
I was really happy to stumble upon your blog. I have really similar issues (food intolerances including gluten, soy, eggs, etc., digestion issues) and have also been trying lemon juice and a liver ‘cleanse’ drink (lemon, ginger, garlic, olive oil) in the mornings. Was just wondering if you have had much success with lemon juice in the AM? I’m still waiting for some relief!
God bless!
Dana

missymiller March 8, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I have been working on this for months now and still trying to work out the quirks. Right now, I have realized that waiting until I am hungry at night is preventing me from a healthy sleep pattern so in order to break that I have to adjust and start eating by a schedule to which my body will adapt.
That being said, I feel the most IMPORTANT part of intuitive eating is eating WHAT you want and eating it MINDFULLY.
That is the most life-enhancing lesson.
I feel like if we can tune into our bodies, they will tell us what they need. And it’s a hard practice but with each mistake you make is a lesson learned. I tend to ignore my bodies call for carbs sometimes because that isn’t what I had planned for dinner. Then in the next day or so I will find myself elbow deep in a bag of terra chips or scraping the bottom of an entire chickpea can’s worth of hummus. Tummy…ouch. Lessons, learned.
I think you got this pretty well figured out!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2011 at 6:58 pm

You sound like you have learned so so much!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 8, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I am a 100% intuitive eater. I follow a schedule, but allow my taste buds to lead the way. I do however have a huge problem with eating when I’m not hungry. I’ve really, really tried to get a handle on it these last couple of months, its SO hard! Thank you so much for this post, Chelsey. Serves as a great reminder :)

Parita @ myinnershakti March 8, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Trying to be…right now my focus is on slowing down. I think that’ll help me be more intuitive (I hope)!

Nicole @ Of Cookies & Carrots March 8, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I wish I were a more intuitive eater… I try, but it’s hard. I tend to not eat enough during the day (sometimes I”m hungry and I dont have time, depends) and then eat too much at night to compensate. Sigh.

Your way sounds completely legitimate though!

I also tend to just keep eating until something’s gone. fortunately this often happens with vegetables/fruits that I end up kind of overeating, but whatever.

Adi March 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I feel the EXACT same way. I actually did a post on why I think everyone would benefit from a meal plan.
I struggle with being ok with following a schedule a lot so thanks for letting me know I’m not different.. I feel like I should be an intuitive eater. But when you eat differently than most people, (I’m close to pescetarian and eat almost exclusively whole foods) you have to plan. I too found that if I don’t stick to a plan, I don’t get in enough calories.
The idea of intuitive eating is to honor your body right? I’ve found that sometimes following a schedule is the best way to honor it and its needs.
Oh, and my nutritionist said that when she made my meal plan, part of its purpose was to train my body to get hungry at those times so you are probably right. When you’re eating is when your body wants fuel.
Loved this, love u. Keep it up and thanks :)

Ashley March 22, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I eat at like the exact same times as you! And am so thrown off every weekend when I don’t.