health tips 101

June 11, 2011

Today’s guest post comes from Jessica @ Dishin’ about Nutrition. Jessica has some health tips for all my readers today. Please remember that Jessica is blogging about her own health journey and is not a medical professional. For any questions/concerns you are having, please see your physician or dietician.

Hey CEC readers!

My name is Jessica and I blog over at Dishin’ About Nutrition. Like you, I come here for inspiration, fabulous recipes, hilarious stories and Chelsey’s all round positive attitude towards life. And although she swears up-and-down that she does not give good advice, she has certainly done so for me on many occasions. Chelsey was kind enough to lend me her blog today so in keeping with the theme of her blog I decided to share with you some of my best tips, tricks, advice and random knowledge I have acquired on my journey to a healthier me.

1. Diets don’t work – If it’s not something you can realistically see yourself doing forever, than forget it. You must be able to make healthy eating and living a lifestyle. I for one, could never live without chocolate, so I adapt my diet so that I can have a small piece of chocolate everyday. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies, I exercise regularly and I limit myself to a small portion, usually one square of dark chocolate (which is actually very good for you!).

2. Big girls don’t cry; when cutting onions – Don’t shed another tear while chopping onions! Simply stick your tongue out before your first cut to your last! I swear this trick works like a charm every time!

onions_-_pic_1

3. Have your cake, and eat it too, but just a bite, one for me and one for you – Everything is OK to eat in moderation. Deprivation just sets you up for disaster. It’s like telling a little kid not to pull the fire alarm, it makes them want to pull it A MILLIONS times worse! I will have a "naughty" dessert every once in a while and allow myself to completely forget about it. Not dwell on it, not think I have to workout for longer the next day. I just enjoy it and move on!

4. These boots are made for walkin’ – Take advantage of moving your body every chance you get throughout the day. Take the stairs rather than the escalator. Walk rather than ride the bus or train. Every little thing counts, the more you move the better! I wear a pedometer everyday and track how many steps I get in each day. I am always trying to beat my number from the day before, it’s actually a lot of fun!

5. Soup for the soul; a.k.a leftovers- Ever find yourself throwing away left over produce and feeling horrible about it? I always keep some broth around the house and I whip up some easy soup so I don’t end up wasting food and money. It’s healthy, its tasty and most importantly, it’s financially responsible. Now if only I could find a way to cure my shoe addiction….

Shoes_-_pic_2

6. Drink up buttercup! Water that is… – I confess, this is not my strongest attribute. I am a self described Beverage Diva – I HATE water! It is a chore to drink it but I know that I need to, our bodies requires it. So I carry a water bottle with me at all times (both to encourage me to drink more and to improve my carbon footprint!). If I catch myself not taking advantage I will use the help of tea, crystal light, lemons, ANYTHING to get my H2O in. I notice that the more I drink, the less cravings I have, the better I feel and the more energy I have.

Drinks_-_pic_3

7. Fill up on greens - Filling up on nutrient-dense foods like a spinach salad or steamed kale ensures your giving your body good fuel it can use to perform its best and will make you less likely to over-indulge in the "bad stuff" later in the meal. Greens are some of the best things you can give your body. And most are chock-full of fiber and essential vitamins and minerals that your body craves. (Check out my all green dinner – cucumber salad, asparagus, kale and green beans)

Greens_-_pic_4

8. Cook without oil – I didn’t know this until recently but olive oil contains close to 120 calories per tablespoon! Food manufactures remove the healthy fiber, vitamins and minerals that are naturally in oil leaving the nutrient level low but the saturated fat level still really high. I have found that oil really isn’t necessary most of the time and there are easy substitutions so why not save myself a few extra unnecessary calories and save my arteries from clogging. Use veggie stock, water or cooking spray to sauté and substitute it with applesauce when baking – easy as pie!

(edit: I think that cooking with oils that have healthy fats — ie: coconut, olive, grape seed — is great for your health! You want to steer clear of oils like soybean oil, peanut oil, canola/vegetable oil, and corn oil.)

9. Cheers to good health! I like to enjoy a glass of wine at dinner but I try to take my alcohol intake in moderation. I only have red wine (which has the added nutrition benefit of antioxidants and resveratrol, which is believed to be heart healthy. I didn’t always follow this code, particularly in college. I definitely don’t miss the hangovers and the horrible damage I was doing to my body. Sticking to my one glass a night has made a huge difference. Although I have become quite a "cab-snob" :)

Cab-_pic_5

10. Sleep tight! Sleep is a very important, under-rated part of being healthy. Most people need between 6 and 8 hours but I just listen to my body, sometimes I need more. I am in bed before 10 most nights and up around 6 or 7am. Sleep helps restore and repair the body which is crucial for muscle growth, energy and so much more.

Question: What are some of your best health tips?

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 11, 2011 at 6:03 pm

tongue sticking out works?! haha I’ve also heard of chewing gum…? :P I think that just enough oil (maybe like pam) is good enough to cook with. I don’t think we need as much oil as the chefs on the food network slather on the pan hehe

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 11, 2011 at 6:05 pm

oh! and one workout tip is that even if we can’t go all out for 30 minutes or more within a day, there are days when we can just do a few 5-8 minutes of intense movements here and there, like pushups, pullups, explosive squats, etc., throughout the day. This is better than not doing anything at all in my opinion :D hope this helps!

Katelyn June 11, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Haha I love the tongue trick! I actually never have cried while chopping onions, maybe it’s because I wear contacts?! Also seriously — -diets do NOT work!

runyogarepeat June 11, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Love these! I carry my water bottle with me everywhere, and I swear the water gives me so much energy. Cabernet is the best too :)

lawfullyweddedwife June 11, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Great post, Jessica! I’ve never heard that onion trick before–I have to try it!!!

sugarcoatedsisters June 11, 2011 at 6:59 pm

WOW! That is so good to know about the onions… I always get teary and it drives me crazy!

I really enjoyed these tips– especially the “filling up on greens” and “cook without oil” Those two techniques are part of my everyday eating typically.

Great info, thanks!

BrocStar June 11, 2011 at 7:38 pm

That is a LOT of shoes. I think I own maybe 5 pairs!
Thanks for the onion tip.. it looks quite dorky, but if it works then I am all for it! I have terribly sensitive eyes.

Jess June 11, 2011 at 8:04 pm

My best health tip is probably to just plain get movin’!! You’ll feel better, have more energy, and WANT to fuel yourself to you can perform well at the gym (or wherever you exercise!).

These are all awesome tips :)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! June 11, 2011 at 8:10 pm

That is such a cool tip about the onions!!!! I have got to try that out!!!! And I love the shirt you’re wearing in that onion pic! So cute!

SweetKaroline June 11, 2011 at 8:12 pm

great tips! minus the oil thing (low fat diets are so 1990s yuck). i’ll have to try out the onion trick as well.

Beyond Bananas June 11, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I will definitley have to try the tongue trick. I have many photos of myself wearing hs chem lab goggle while cutting onions!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee June 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm

That onion thing is the weirdest!! I have a tip: if something hurts acutely (a muscle or tendon hurts, etc.) take a rest day from working out, or at least exercise a different part of the body. It’s better to take a few days off than seriously injure yourself and be out for weeks!

Mac June 11, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Is the one about the onions really true, because I’m extremely gullible and will be in my kitchen with my tongue sticking out… please don’t make me look like a fool unless I have to :)

cleaneatingchelsey June 12, 2011 at 9:20 am

do it when no one is home! :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I’m totally trying the tongue trick next time I chop onions! I always cry a river haha!

Allison's Delicious Life June 11, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I’ll have to try the tongue thing… I always end up crying when cutting onions!

Maria June 12, 2011 at 5:59 am

Never tried the tongue trick before… but now I want to go chop an onion to find out !

movesnmunchies June 12, 2011 at 6:35 am

I LOVE these tips!! im defs gna try the sticking out ur tongue whilst cooking onions!!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 12, 2011 at 7:18 am

I’m a red wine girl too and I love that I can feel sort of healthy while drinking it! :D

I love your tip to make soup with old veggies. Great idea!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food June 12, 2011 at 9:29 am

Great tips Jess :)

I agree with so many esp eating greens, drinking lots of water, and getting plenty of sleep!

I had never heard that onion trick before, I will have to try it! :)

sunshinevegan June 12, 2011 at 9:52 am

Love these tips! I’m really trying to drink more water lately. It’s so important to stay hydrated in the summer heat :)

Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) June 12, 2011 at 10:43 am

Thanks for the healthy tip reminders! I need to work on the “Have your cake, and eat it too, but just a bite, one for me and one for you” I have a huge sweet tooth! Recently one of my health tips is to eat a little protein with every meal or snack. I started adding a tablespoon of almonds or ground flax to the meals and snacks that I usually ate without protein. I think even just a little extra protein has helped keep me full longer so I don’t crave as many sugary snacks.

Leila (spinach and skittles) June 12, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Sticking out the tongue while cutting onions, eh? I’m going to have to try that, I’m all about the waterworks, sniffles and all.
I also have a shoe addiction that rivals my produce addiction. My brother used to live with us, so we purchased for 4 (he eats a lot). Now that he is gone, we’ve had a difficult time cutting back on groceries. We wind up with so much extra produce that goes bad! Thank God for roasting ;)

Christine June 12, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I love the simplicity and common sense- if we all did most of these we’d be lighter, healthier and happier. Easier said than done sometimes, though!

ChellBellz June 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm

These are great tips! I’m looking and searching for tips that aren’t confusing. I get discouraged to get it together sometimes.

I think the one thing on here that i practive is Getting Water in , which is by far the easiest thing for me but not without some training. I remember when I barely drank it. I loved juice, and sweet tea. Then one day i discovered that i had diabetes type II. I had to stop cold turkey but it was so hard, so instead i would pour a cup of juice 1/4 of the way and added water 1/2 way. It was crazy but it worked. Or i would fill a cup to the brim with ICE, pour the juice and sip through my meal remembering that once it was gone that was it. I eventually started making my own tea, and i used less and less sugar each week. Eventually my taste buds were so crazy that anything too sweet wasn’t good, and it caused me to drink more water to get the taste out. Good Luck to everyone out there, and keep up the good work.

Cait's a Runnerchick June 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm

thanks for the post and everything you said is great advice! also, i love the picture of you cutting those onions…so cute. :) i totally agree that when you live healthy and stay active you don’t have to ‘diet,’ and everything’s fine in moderation, baby! and if it’s been a particularly hard workout day, maybe even a little more than just moderation…when it comes to sweets i have a major weakness! thanks again for the tips and great writing!

kissmybroccoli June 12, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Great post Jessica! I’ll have to try that tongue trick the next time I’m balling over a board of onions!

My healthy tips would be:
Try new to you foods and different ways of cooking…even if you don’t think you like something the first time you try it, give it another chance. It may turn out to be one of your favorites one day!

And engage in physical activities that get you moving and are FUN! Nobody likes trudging along on the treadmill while staring at their watch wondering when it’ll all be over. You’re more likely to stick with exercise if it’s enjoyable! And don’t forget to switch it up a bit so you’re body doesn’t get bored!

Danielle @ www.DeliciousExistence.com June 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Great post!

My #1 health tip would be: if it contains ingredients you can’t pronounce or recognize as edible and/or food, don’t eat it!

katshealthcorner June 24, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I LOVE THIS!! I will have to try the tongue trick! I always cry when I cut onions!