something to gawk about

September 5, 2011

Every night before I go to sleep, I always do the same thing. Around 8:45 (get that mocking smirk off your face), I go into the kitchen and make lunches. I will wash the remaining dishes that inevitably make their way into the sink after dinner and curse myself that I didn’t realize there was no dishwasher in our house until after I had signed a contract. I blame my realtor who was only in it for the 3% commission (aka: my mom who didn’t take her commission from us. such a nice lady!).

After those dishes are done, I look around the kitchen and think to myself about what I would possibly want for breakfast the following morning. You might think that’s weird since breakfast is 8-10 hours later, but in reality, if I want to eat oats, I have to make them at night and stick them in the fridge so their nice and voluminous for this girl who likes her food to be big (weird?).

But last night, I just wasn’t feeling the oats. Sorry oatmeal, but for the last two days, you have not sounded delectable to me at all. Maybe after 6 years of eating oatmeal almost every morning has finally caught up to me, but I wanted something different.

September 5, 2011 010
Enter in Mama Pea’s Protein Pancakes that popped up when I Googled “perfect vegan protein pancakes” — I can always count on Mama P. Because the truth of the matter is I could not for the life of me perfect a protein pancake nor could I find a great one that actually stayed together and made my taste buds scream for joy. So yesterday and today, I enjoyed these babies with peanut butter and vanilla Chobani (<3) for breakfast, totaling in at a whopping 40 grams of protein each morning.

September 5, 2011 006
After I decide what I want to eat for breakfast, I eventually make my way to my TV watching Husband, give him a kiss, and go to the bathroom where I spend about thirty minutes (not really, but this is the Husband’s perception) washing my face, taking out my contacts, and brushing my teeth. Once I make it to my bed, I take out my Kindle, give Charlie a nice scratch when he makes it over to the side of my bed, and read until my eyes refuse to stay open any longer.

But last night, before I did all of this, I eventually found my way to Foodgawker, where I frequently visit. I have submitted pictures to Foodgawker countless times, but each time I have been rejected. Sad story, right? Wrong. There’s something in me where I will not accept failure, which makes me work even harder to perfect something that I want. So last night, I went through some of my best photos and submitted three, crossing my fingers for the best.

You’ll imagine my surprise when I woke up to a tweet from Chocolate Covered Katie congratulating me on seeing a photo of mine on Foodgawker’s site — two of my pictures had been accepted!

image
For some, this may seem like “no big deal” or you might not even know what Foodgawker is. To me, this is a big deal — as Foodgawker is very picky about the photos they feature. I’m not sharing this to brag, but I am really proud of myself. I work really hard in everything I do — whether it is teaching, taking photographs, working on recipes, or writing on this blog — so to accomplish this and finally see my photos on Foodgawker is quite an achievement.

Needless to say (and you can probably see), this has finally convinced me I need to purchase Lightroom, as Averie has been urging me to do for quite some time.

So when it came time to finally eat my breakfast this morning, I was so excited that I didn’t even realize I had been happily eating my food until it was gone.

September 5, 2011 001
Whoops.

September 5, 2011 007
There’s always tomorrow, I suppose.

Question: Have you ever had a goal that was difficult to achieve? How did you feel when you finally accomplished it?

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food September 5, 2011 at 8:35 am

Yay! Congrats! :-)

Also, my boyfriend says I spend an hour in the bathroom getting ready for bed. He usually calls in from the bedroom, “What are you doing in there? Come to bed!” Haha!

Katie September 5, 2011 at 8:36 am

Gah! I’m so excited for you! I’ve submitted a few to foodgawker, only to be turned down. I’ll keep trying, though. :-) Good for you!

Happy school-day-off, enjoy it!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 5, 2011 at 8:40 am

Congrats! That’s awesome! I’ve heard that Foodgawker is very picky, so that’s an awesome accomplishment.

I’ve heard (from a certain husband) that my “getting ready for bed” routine is a little lengthy too… Well unless he wants to me not brush my teeth, get a freaky eye infection by leaving my contacts in & wake up covered in zits from not washing my face, he’ll just have to deal! :-)

cleaneatingchelsey September 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

Amen!

katie September 5, 2011 at 8:40 am

SO proud of you!!!!! YAY!!! This is exciting news, you are not bragging in a bad way at all! You should be so proud!!! LOVE foodgawker, I like to stalk that site, and I submit too, but no published yet, maybe one day!

I am looking into light room as well, Averie suggested it as well, she is a rockstar with photography ; )

Love you! Congrats! xoxo

Debbie (Accidently Delish) September 5, 2011 at 8:40 am

congrats!!! that is so great and such a HUGE accomplishment.

I’m going to go look for them. haha. and your breakfast this morning looks delicious!!

Again, congrats! how great! <3

cleaneatingchelsey September 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

Thanks!

and PS – You won one of my giveaways last week! Can you email me your address?

Debbie (Accidently Delish) September 5, 2011 at 8:43 am

OH! awesome! Yes I will. Thank you for letting me know!

Debbie (Accidently Delish) September 5, 2011 at 8:44 am

can’t seem to find your email on here. what is it? thanks!

cleaneatingchelsey September 5, 2011 at 9:03 am

it’s on the right side underneath my picture! cleaneating chelsey (@) gmail (dot) com

Katie @ Raisins&Apples September 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

Congratulations!

Your pancakes look great—I wish I made those this morning. Mine were disgusting and dry, apparently coconut flour is not my friend.

Mama Pea September 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

I’m glad those pancakes worked out for you! I love ‘em too.

Congrats on Foodgawker! (I’ve never submitted anything. I’m so lazy) :)

Janetha September 5, 2011 at 8:49 am

Yay! That’s awesome, Chels. I bet you feel very accomplished– rightfully so. My mom waa my realtor, too. Isn’t it the best?! No worries about signing important documents because you totally trust your mom!

Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze September 5, 2011 at 8:51 am

Oh my gosh congrats!! I’ve heard how difficult it is to get something accepted on foodgawker so that’s a HUGE accomplishment!! And I’m one of those people who never gives up (aka I’m really really really stubborn)… I just love the feeling of accomplishing something, especially if it was really difficult!

Sweet and Savvy September 5, 2011 at 8:53 am

Congrats !! :) All of your photos look great.. and so do those pancakes!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} September 5, 2011 at 8:54 am

Congrats on your Foodgawker acceptance! I’ve only submitted a few and haven’t been accepted yet. YET. :-) I’m like you and don’t give up easily. Happy Labor Day!

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas September 5, 2011 at 9:10 am

Congrats Chelsey!
I had to overcome an eating disorder about a year and half ago. It was and will be the hardest thing to recover, but knowing that I did tastes (literally) great! :)

christina cadden September 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

Congrats on your photos making it!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well September 5, 2011 at 9:15 am

That’s an awesome accomplishment! I’ve only heard of Foodgawker but haven’t checked it out at all. I’ll have to look into it and see which of your pics was featured!

christina September 5, 2011 at 9:18 am

That is a huge accomplishment! Congratulations. I wish my photography could be as nice as yours…I need to put more effort into it. :)

Grace September 5, 2011 at 9:41 am

I am all about setting goals because when you set them they seem impossible but that makes accomplishing them even better!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli September 5, 2011 at 9:45 am

Congratulations! I remember how excited I was when they accepted my first submission. I need to sort through my pics and submit some more!

Brittany September 5, 2011 at 9:53 am

Congratulations!!! That’s definitely something to brag about ;) I am the same way. If I get rejected it makes me want to work even harder to reach my goal and prove that I can do it. I love reading your blog, you deserve it!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 5, 2011 at 10:01 am

I’ll let you know in 2 years when I finish law school!

Corey @ Learning Patience September 5, 2011 at 10:30 am

Way to go! You just inspired me to go and submit some pictures…

xoxo from Trinidad

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 5, 2011 at 10:33 am

Yay congrats Chelsey. That is super exciting! Beautiful pics.
P.S. And now I want protein pancakes. :)

cleaneatingchelsey September 5, 2011 at 11:41 am

They were DELISH!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 5, 2011 at 10:40 am

Congrats on your first pictures on foodgawker! All of your work has paid off!

natalie @ southern fit foodie September 5, 2011 at 10:41 am

I’m definitely a goal-oriented person, and I’m constantly setting new goals for myself (big and small, short and long term).

I’m really excited that your photos got accepted on foodgawker! I know they are super picky. I asked for a Rebel for my birthday (this month!!!), so hopefully I will be able to start learning how to take some good food pics (instead of just using my phone HA).

My getting ready for bed routine seems to take forever, but Daniel never complains. I guess he would rather me be happy, clean, have fresh breath and clear skin haha.

cleaneatingchelsey September 5, 2011 at 11:41 am

If you get that Rebel, you’ll love her! My only advice? Don’t even “start out on” automatic settings. Shoot in RAW from right away. It takes some time, but the photos are well worth it!

Natalie @ southern fit foodie September 5, 2011 at 12:03 pm

thanks!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 5, 2011 at 10:46 am

You can totally brag about that acheivement, Chelsey!! We read about your life to celebrate the acheivements and to offer prayers and support during rough times.
That’s awesome – great job, girl!

cleaneatingchelsey September 5, 2011 at 11:44 am

You’re my favorite. That was the best comment ever.

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! September 5, 2011 at 10:47 am

Congrats on getting on foodgawker! That feeling of accomplishment is one of the greatest ever :-)

Parita @ myinnershakti September 5, 2011 at 10:50 am

That is awesome! Congrats! I absolutely love your pics…always leave me drooling.

Lauren September 5, 2011 at 11:03 am

Congrats, Chelsey!! I’ve submitted once and was rejected :( I guess the only think you can do is try try again.

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles September 5, 2011 at 11:04 am

Yay! Congrats on getting into Foodgawker. They are definitely picky, that’s a great accomplishment :) I’ve had Lightroom on my Amazon wish list for a few months….maybe for Christmas.

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 5, 2011 at 11:31 am

Ahhh congrats!!! That is so exciting :) . Good thing you didn’t give up on it!!

Alexis September 5, 2011 at 12:12 pm

CONGRATS! I would be soooo overly excited about that. I’m obsessed with foodgawker. I love their app for my ipod too :) I browse through it every night before I go to sleep

Gina @ running to the kitchen September 5, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Congrats!! I remember being super psyched when i got my first acceptance email from fg. Feels like initiation ;)

Amanda September 5, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Congratulations on foodgawker! That’s awesome! I would love to be able to get on that site. Our place has bad lighting and a point & shoot camera so no time soon.

What kind of flour did you use in the pancakes?

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy September 5, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Congratulations! My boyfriend thinks I take forever to get ready too..whether it’s for bed, to go out to eat, whatever. They just don’t understand…

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food September 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Yey for making it onto Food Gawker that is a wonderful accomplishment! :D

Yes many goals that are very difficult to achieve. Some successful, some not, and many still in the works!

Laura September 5, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Congrats on the foodgawker status, the pancakes look terrific!
Eating ‘fear foods’ or upping my daily cals is always a great accomplishment for me :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath September 5, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Congratulations!!!! That is awesome!!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee September 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Congrats on making foodgawker!!! :) I too make my lunch and breakfast for the next day around 8:45 at night. It lets me sleep in a little!

Amanda September 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Congrats on your post! That’s awesome! :)

Lindsay @ biking before bed September 5, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Don’t apologize for bragging… You earned it! True story… My boyfriend the carnivore looked over my shoulder the other day when I was looking at some of your vegetarian recipe photos. He said they all looked delicious!

cleaneatingchelsey September 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Wee! You guys should come over for a dinner partay! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 5, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Congrats on your FG accepts!!!

Once you get LR, your job is going to be even easier! Yes, I fully advocate proper shooting techniques and getting the shot right rather than relying on editing and post-processing but…we don’t live in a perfect world and editing with the proper tools, i.e. Lightroom, is just gonna be soooo awesome for you. You get a teacher discount so it’s CHEAP for you! Do it!

And the pancakes look great. I actually saw your tweet and was going to tweet back but my vegan GF pancake recipe wasn’t a “protein” pancake recipe per se, just vegan GF.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!

Stephanie September 5, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Congratulations! I’m one of the people who doesn’t really know what Foodgawkers is…but that doesn’t mean that I’m not feeling warm and fuzzy from your warm and fuzzy. Way to stick to it until you succeed!

Dilek&Alba September 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I want to branch out for other options for breakfast too! I haven’t made pancakes in years, maybe I should try this recipe. Hmmmm.

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse September 5, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Brilliant, congratulations, especially two of them!
I had to laugh as I read that because I do almost exactly the same before bed; make lunch, decide on breakfast and random bits of washing up :-)

Liz September 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm

That’s awesome, Chelsey! I used to try getting pictures accepted into Foodgawker and Tastespotting all the time, and I gave up because I decided if they didn’t want to show my pictures, then I didn’t want to spend the time submitting them. ;) But that’s a huge accomplishment… makes me want to fight and try again!

Also… those pancakes look sooo good – and all that protein!

Lisa September 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm

congrats on your photos! yay!

just made those pancakes for lunch. they are soooo yummy! thanks for sharing!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! September 5, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Congrats!!! That is the best feeling ever, I would be SO excited too. I’ve submitted a few photos and I’ve always been rejected. :/ I don’t have the best camera anyway. Maybe one day I will. But I’m going to keep trying!

Sally Anne @ PaleoRunnerGirl September 5, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I have just recently discovered your blog and I LOVE it! I am a fellow gluten-intolerant girl, so I am enjoying perusing your recipes!

I am 100% the same about getting everything ready to go the night before. I just know that if I wait until morning, there is no telling what would happen!

cleaneatingchelsey September 5, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Thanks Sally Anne! I am so glad you are enjoying reading my blog!

Pure2raw twins September 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm

pancakes sound perfect! love me some pancakes

and congrats on the photos :) they reject our photos too, just keep trying!

Sam September 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Congrats! I totally understand how you feel. I have gotten a couple photos onto foodgawker but many many refused! I just take it as a motivation to work harder on the next one. Although it is still a bummer to be rejected! I am obsessed with foodgawker and have stalked it for YEARS <3 I want lightroom too but it's definitely an investment.

Sophie @ threetimesf September 6, 2011 at 3:28 am

Congratulations on your foodgawker debut! :)
I don’t find it weird that you plan your brekkie, but isn’t it difficult for you to know what you will feel like the next morning 10 hours before?!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

Congratulations!! I just got my first foodgawker photo accepted too. It’s so exciting, and trust me, I understand what an accomplishment it is.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Congrats Chelsey! You definitely deserve to be on there because you take beautiful photos. :D