over easy savory oatmeal with kale

January 19, 2012

I am so obsessed.

January 18, 2012 016

I don’t know what I’ve been doing for the last 24.5 years of my life, but why I had never made savory oats before three nights ago is beyond me. I loved them so much that I had to make them again last night. It is a deep love, as I made two separate meals because the Husband would never touch this with a 10 foot pole. This is a 10 minute dinner that is beyond delicious and boasts simplicity.

1. Layer of Kale

January 18, 2012 007

2. Layer of Savory Oats

January 18, 2012 012

3. Drippy Egg

January 18, 2012 019

4. Bone Suckin’ Sauce & Nutritional Yeast

January 18, 2012 004

Just go make it. For reals.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 19, 2012 at 6:12 am

I went on a savory oats kick for a week last semester, so good! I’m going to have to try this recipe though, I don’t think I ever put an egg on mine! I usually did kale and beans

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 4:57 pm

The egg is awesome. Just do it!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 19, 2012 at 6:16 am

I love savory oats! But I never have them nearly as often as I would like! This combo sounds AMAZING though! Runny egg pretty much makes everything delicious!

Lauren January 19, 2012 at 6:21 am

Ohhh goodness I haven’t made savory oats in sooo long! Now I miss them.

J January 19, 2012 at 6:29 am

Use 2 eggs. Then add avocado and hummus!

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 6:35 am

Oh avocado would have been perfect – hummus too! I had both of those at lunch though so I didn’t want to overdose on them. ;)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama January 19, 2012 at 6:49 am

Really? I don’t know if I can get on board with savory oats but I’ll have to trust your word that it’s good.

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Just do it. Please please please – I promise you’ll enjoy it.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 19, 2012 at 6:50 am

I lovelovelove savoury oats! I just blogged about it actually! http://lauren-whatlaurenlikes.blogspot.com/2012/01/just-really-good-wiaw.html

Khushboo January 19, 2012 at 6:55 am

I loveee savory oats, especially to make faux risOATo ;) ! Next time try it with some marinara sauce, basil and goat cheese (I’m shocked that despite regularly reading your blog, I’m not sure whether you do eat cheese- enlighten me!)

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm

ha! I loved the “risoato”. too funny!

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm

And I don’t eat cheese!

Lindsay @ biking before bed January 19, 2012 at 6:57 am

Wow that looks so simple and delicious. I have never even thought to make savory oats. And my boyfriend definitely won’t touch these either… but that means more for us!

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Amen!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 19, 2012 at 6:58 am

If it were up to me I would have a sweet meal every single moment for the rest of my life. I’ve tried savory oats and they’re good, but the whole time I’m thinking: Ohhh this would be so much better if I just had a little cinnamon and maple syrup up in here. hehe

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Nothing wrong with a little maple syrup on savory oats – i could see that tasting delicious!

Anna January 19, 2012 at 6:59 am

i LOVE savory oatmeal! I usually make mine with spinach, peas, and even mushrooms mixed in and then top it with a fried egg, some hot sauce, and reduced-sugar ketchup. It sounds gross but its so hearty and delicious..perfect for these cold mornings or breakfast for dinner!

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm

That sounds perfect to me actually!

Stephanie January 19, 2012 at 7:06 am

I am going to make your recipe for lunch today!!!

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Let me know how you liked it!

Stephanie January 19, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I am so obsessed too! I am going to make it tomorrow!

Holly January 19, 2012 at 7:21 am

Yum yum yum yum yum. Let’s have dinner together, ok?

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Come on over!

Carrie January 19, 2012 at 7:31 am

ah! the savoury oatmeal you mentioned in your comment! this looks and sounds fab!

Gloria January 19, 2012 at 7:37 am

I’ve never had savory oatmeal before, but I think today might be the day to make some. That looks delicious!

kathleen @ the daily crumb January 19, 2012 at 8:00 am

i have never tried savory oats — looks like such a quick + easy weeknight meal!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 19, 2012 at 8:00 am

hmmm….I *think* Travis would go for this. But only with a little bacon sprinkled on top. Which i have in the fridge. Dinner is set!

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Hey my husband would probably eat this if I served it with bacon too.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 19, 2012 at 8:14 am

I’ve never done the savory oats thing either. You might’ve convinced me though with this. This is a perfect lazy weeknight dinner!

Faith @ For the Health of It January 19, 2012 at 8:18 am

I’ve tried savory oats once – Mexican style – and they were just okay, so I never really tried them again. Anything with Kale, though, sounds like a winner over here!

Marina January 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

This recipe is for my kitchen: everything kale lives here! thanks!

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I love kale too! I always forget to get it at the grocery store, but it’s amazing!

kaity January 19, 2012 at 8:32 am

i always was alittle afraid of savory oats but with a drippy egg i dont see any problem! yumm

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves January 19, 2012 at 8:52 am

Yum! I often do a runny egg over grits, but never thought of doing it over savory oatmeal!!! Can’t wait to try it.

Katie C January 19, 2012 at 9:06 am

Love savory oats! This looks delicious, but my husband wouldn’t touch it either. Might have to make his and hers breakfasts this weekend :)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama January 19, 2012 at 9:06 am

Brilliant. I’ve never made savory oats before either, but I’ve been wanting to. You just inspired me. If I could only find that nutritional yeast I bought over a month ago and stashed away in the pantry. :) he he!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 19, 2012 at 9:09 am

I’ve never had them either but gosh do they looks and sound delicious! …..I am going to have to pick up mooooore nutritional yeast on my way to the dr. today. I’m in love with the stuff!!!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 19, 2012 at 9:44 am

I have never in my life had savory oatmeal. This looks delicious though!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy January 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

I love oatmeal but I have never prepared is savory before! Looks delicious!

Colleen January 19, 2012 at 10:47 am

This scares me for some reason….I’ve never had oatmeal in any other form besides mixed with egg whites for breakfast (10+ yrs). Maybeeee I’ll branch out and try this.

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I have been mixing an egg white into my morning oatmeal as well – I love the texture it gives the oats!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 19, 2012 at 10:51 am

Aren’t they good!!!! I thought savory oats sounded like the weirdest thing ever…until I tried them last year.

Mattie @ Comfy and Confident January 19, 2012 at 11:07 am

This looks great! it combines all my favorite things, greens, oats and eggs. My bf will never eat this in a million years, but i dont care. I want to try this out! Yumm.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 19, 2012 at 11:09 am

I just tried savoury oats one or two months ago for the first time and I got hooked on them too! I think I have a weird obsession with eating mushy foods haha. :P

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I kind of like mushy foods too – no biggy.

Katie January 19, 2012 at 11:10 am

I wish I like oatmeal soooo badly. This looks amazing. I do, however, love kale with all my heart – so maybe I’ll just have a bowl of kale and and an egg. ;-)

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm

That is just one thing I will never understand about you. ;)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I love savory oats baked with pureed cottage cheese and a crap ton of egg whites, grilled, sliced, and served with a spicy dipper! I love the idea of the egg being ON TOP!! fab.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Still something I haven’t tried – but I need to!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Knowing your tastes and palate, I am sure you are totally into this..,savory, a little salty, this is so you.

Glad you found something you’re loving and that’s so easy!

Maggie January 19, 2012 at 1:14 pm

ohmygosh these look amazing. i’ve always wanted to try savory oats but i’m too much of a sweets fanatic to fathom doing it, however, these look delicious enough to try!

Linz @ ItzLinz January 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm

oatmeal and kale?!?! never would have dreamed of this combo, but i like both, so i may have to give it a try!

Emily @ The Swallow Flies January 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm

How easy?! I’ve never even THOUGHT to make oats savory! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kelly @Leafy Not Beefy January 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I’ve never tried savory oats before and, to be honest, my thought the whole time making this tonight was “oh, this sounds pretty gross’…but I figured you really did know what you are talking about. So here I am, enjoying my (very hearty) bowl for dinner (i didn’t have any bbq sauce, but i bet that would have made it even better) Thanks!

cleaneatingchelsey January 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm

YAY!!!! Glad you liked it!

Emily January 19, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Every time I’ve made savory oats I haven’t been able to stomach them. There’s just something about oatmeal that screams “sweet!” to me. But, I have to admit, this recipe sounds amazing. Anything with kale has to be delicious, right?
I think it’s time I gave savory oats another chance. (:

Karlee January 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm

i love love love love oatmeal, but only hot sweet oatmeal. i can’t do overnight oats :( . i have never tried savory oats, but i will def. have to give it a try. this combination sounds delicious. i just don’t know if it would weird me out. i need to get some nutritional yeast. i can’t find it anywhere!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life January 19, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Wow, that sounds amazing! I have never thought of doing savoury oats – though I’m not sure I need an excuse to eat more oats haha. I love eggs too though so that looks amazing!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy January 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I have been loving savory oats lately too! It always kind of freaked me out, but I’m so glad I finally tried it!

Carrie January 19, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I have been trying (and failing) to make savory oats for soooo long! Maybe tomorrow night I’ll be able to get it right :)

Lindsey @ happyhoneycrisp January 19, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Hmm.. I’ve never tried savory oats before. For some reason they never seemed to appeal to me but this combo is actually giving me a craving for savory oats! Perhaps it is the drippy egg, they seem to make everything 10x better.

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 19, 2012 at 11:19 pm

This looks like a super interesting meal! I have never tried it or ever heard of it, but I would game to try it! :)

nicole marie January 20, 2012 at 3:23 am

the extensive ingredient list for the egg must have consumed several hours of pondering just the right way to articulate such a robust set of information. haha! and as a child, i’d call these “dippy eggs.” they complimented saturday morning cartoons and time with my dad and sisters. :) x

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 20, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Never tried savory eggs + oatmeal, but its sounding like brunch tomorrow ;)

Sarah January 22, 2012 at 7:37 am

I wish i could jump on the savory oats bandwagon. Unfortunately i just cant! It doesnt seem normal for oats to not be warm, creamy and sweet.

College Lifestyles January 22, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Yummy! Oatmeal can be amazing! Here we have an article on oatmeal many ways ;)

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 24, 2012 at 9:03 pm

THIS LOOKS AMAZING! YUM :)

Alexandria January 29, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I just made this with Paleo “oats” and it was soooo good! Next time, I’m adding mushrooms & lots of hot sauce.

Donna February 18, 2012 at 4:07 am

@ Alexandria (or anyone?)…I would love to try this scrumptious-looking offering, but would like to sub a paleo-friendly ingredient for the oats…just what are paleo “faux oats?”..Thanks to anyone for any enlightenment!

cleaneatingchelsey February 18, 2012 at 6:36 am
Donna February 18, 2012 at 8:35 am

Wow…thank you kindly for the ultra-rapid response….I checked the recipe out, and liked the “oatless oatmeal”…except for the banana…not a fan…and it has too high of a glycemic index for me…Do you recommend any substitution?..I may try it simply omitting the banana …or using applesauce?…or more ground flax?…I have subscribed to your extremely informative and well-formatted blog…Thank you again for your tireless work and creativity…it is highly appreciated.

Donna February 18, 2012 at 8:35 am

jana @ newly wife healthy life February 8, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Something about the runny yolk mixed with oats sounds amazing! Definitely on my must try list. :-)

Andrea R. February 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Hi Chelsey, I’m a new reader and all I can say is wow! This dish is killer! I made it exactly as you described and fell in love at first bite. Oats are going to make an appearance on my dinner plate far more often. Thanks for the fab idea!

Ashley October 22, 2012 at 9:24 am

Hey Chelsey! I’ve been reading your blog for a few weeks but I just came across this post…..I’ve been making similar savory oats for a while! I posted a recipe kind of like yours on my oatmeal blog…oops, great minds think alike! :-)