a lunch that stuck

February 22, 2012

I have to tell you that taking pictures of all my food yesterday totally threw me off. Since I didn’t have school on Monday, I was totally out of my “Tuesday routine” of taking all my pictures before school. Shortened weeks are kind of bittersweet. While I enjoy the long weekends, the shortened weeks are always so hectic and crazy because you have to try and cram a week’s worth of material into just for days, not to mention the kids are always a little bit crazed. They all must have slept the entire day on Monday or something because they sure had a lot of energy yesterday!

Believe it or not, it’s already Wednesday — time for some WIAW love for Jenn!

Peas and Crayons

Breakfast — 6:00

After a good night’s sleep, I sat down to breakfast and enjoyed my entire bowl of oatmeal (and a cup of coffee!!!! (my one of two cups per week)) and realized I didn’t take any pictures. Which was definitely okay since I have about ten thousand pictures of the same bowl anyways. I’ve got a recycled picture going on, but you better believe it was topped with some of my almond flax butter instead of the peanut butter.

January 24, 2012 004

Snack — 9:30 AM

During my plan time this morning, I ate the other half of my banana from my oatmeal and had a cup of kombucha green tea that I got from Alex last week. I wasn’t really hungry (as I never really am when I eat a snack in the morning), but I always get famished around 10:30 right before lunch. I try to fend off the hunger pangs because if not, I get a horrible stomachache later on in the day.

February 21, 2012 004

Lunch 11:30 AM

Eeeek — overexposed horrible picture ahead! Lunch today was so good — and really filling! I have a hard time making sure I have a filling lunch that will hold me over until my afternoon snack, but yesterday’s really did the trick.

I had a large green salad that was filled with organic sprouted tofu and avocado (healthy fats and protein!) — it was topped with nutritional yeast, balsamic vinegar, and Sabra roasted pine nut hummus. On the side, I had a piece of my gluten free bread with a shmear of Earth Balance.

February 21, 2012 001

I also had a mango Chobani for a little sweetness and a little more protein.

February 21, 2012 003

Snack — 3:45 PM

After an insanely looong day at school, I stayed for a little while to organize my life a little bit (my classroom was a disaster by the end of the day). Once it was cleaned and set up for tomorrow morning, I hit the road instead of grading papers (they’ll still be there tomorrow) and ate my usual snack on the way home.

February 14, 2012 005

Dinner — 6:00 PM

When I got home from work, I took Charlie on a 30 minute walk and tidied up the house a little bit before (seriously) collapsing on the couch for about a half an hour before I got dinner ready. Yesterday I made a total of four recipes for this week’s posts, so I had a lot of food waiting for me in the fridge. I ate a fried egg on top of kale (sautéed with olive oil and liquid aminos), and I also had about a cup of some smashed sweet potatoes that will get a recipe for very very soon. ;)

February 21, 2012 009

All was topped with a generous heaping of nutritional yeast and ketchup (of course).

Snack — 8:00 PM

I ended the day like any day should — with a protein muffin, a bit of Greek yogurt, half of a chopped apple, and an almond butter spoon.

january 24, 2012 039
Another typical day of eats over here (oh + the two squares of dark chocolate I ate right after dinner — can’t forget those!!). Just like that, half of the week is over!

Question: How do you make sure to stay full through the afternoon? Do you have a hard time staying full after lunch?

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee February 22, 2012 at 6:14 am

Roasted pine nut hummus is the best! it’s probably how i stay full after lunch. :) Though I do definitely get super hungry between breakfast and lunch, because for me they’re really far apart. I’m not an elementary teacher, but for me the best part of a long weekend is the short week after! Have a great day!

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:45 am

haha I love how our opinions differ since you’re the student and I’m the teacher!! :)

Khushboo February 22, 2012 at 6:20 am

More than feeling hungry, I always crave something sweet after lunch! I find (unsurprisingly) protein to be best bet for a filling lunch..and healthy fats too! Glad I’m not the only one who had a crazy Tuesday back to work! Days off are fun but the ‘next day make-up’ kinda blows!

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:46 am

I crave something sweet too – sometimes I’ll have a piece of dark chocolate to help me combat that!

Katie @ Raisins&Apples February 22, 2012 at 6:27 am

those potatoes…oh my! I like to eat with my kids during their snacks and lunch too, so even though I have a protein based lunch I’m still snacking throughout the day. Plus, it’s fun introducing them to new foods!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness February 22, 2012 at 6:28 am

Mango Cho and roasted pine nut hummus are my two faves of each. So good! And definitely make for a delish lunch.

PS – I’m smiling knowing I was chatting with ya while writing this post.

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:46 am

:) You were!

Simply Life February 22, 2012 at 6:31 am

looks like some great eats! yes! I always eat my “afternoon snack” about an hour after lunch because I can’t stop thinking about it and decide to just eat it – but then I get so hungry around 3 or 4pm! I even tried bringing an extra snack but ate that too :) Maybe I need to keep my lunch further than arm’s distance away :)

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:47 am

haha on weekends and in the summer I definitely eat my afternoon snack almost right after lunch – it works!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles February 22, 2012 at 6:33 am

I always have a quick snack when my kids go out for their 2:00 recess- I can’t make it to the afternoon snack if I don’t. I tried giving up the snack yesterday (usually an apple) and was dying by the time I got home to have a snack before my walk.
PS- I am putting a homemade pizza hummus on my salads at lunch with nutritional yeast- tastes like I’m eating pizza for lunch! Wonderful! :)

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:48 am

The pizza hummus sounds awesome!!

Linz @ Itz Linz February 22, 2012 at 6:47 am

i have more of a hard time making it from breakfast to lunch… i’m always a snack monster then!

Sara @my less serious life February 22, 2012 at 6:55 am

a fried egg on greens is one of my favorite combinations!

katie February 22, 2012 at 6:57 am

Oh those mashed sweet potatoes look so good! I need to buy more sweet potatoes today for sure!

Happy WIAW! <3

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:48 am

I think I eat a sweet potato every single day!!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 22, 2012 at 7:13 am

I usually have a hard time staying full after breakfast, not lunch! Great eats :D

Tessa @ Amazing Asset February 22, 2012 at 7:28 am

Mmmm sweet potatoes, I am pretty sure I could live on these :) And yes, I do feel hungry after lunch! I am usually looking around for more food within 90 minutes or so… it definitely depends on what I did for exercise so far that day though

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:48 am

Me too! I swear I eat one every day!

Lisa B. February 22, 2012 at 7:38 am

Question…I see that yo have been enjoying protein muffins a lot lately. Do you have a recipe for them? I couldn’t find them on your site.

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:49 am

I do! http://cleaneatingchelsey.com/2011/10/07/long-awaited-pumpkin-protein-muffin/

I haven’t updated my recipe page in a while – whoops!

Maureen February 22, 2012 at 7:39 am

Your lunch looks really good! If I do not eat enough at lunch, I will be starving by the time I get home.

Maureen February 22, 2012 at 7:39 am

Briana February 22, 2012 at 7:43 am

Love these posts!

The biggest issue I have is that I have a desk job that sometimes has a lot of lulls, particularly after lunch time, so I’m sitting here with not much to do and..oh! I must be hungry! I try to bring 2 small snacks because even though they might add up to the same stuff if it were 1 larger snack, it’s kind of playing a bit of a mind trick because it’s 2. Today, I’ll be eating white bean, spinach & artichoke chili (which I think is one of your recipes?? Can’t wait to eat it!) for lunch and then for snacks I have a banana and then later carrots and hummus. Roasted. Garlic. Hummus. The greatest hummus ever created.

eliza February 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Same.. and I always try to make it until atleast 11 AM before I dig into a snack! Its all about the timing ;)

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:50 am

That is one of my recipes! :)

I find that on days where the kids are more independent and working on things without my help I am definitely more “hungry” (aka bored) – doesn’t happen too often, but when it does, I want food!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 22, 2012 at 7:55 am

Looking forward to the smashed sweet potato recipe!!
I also have a hard time staying full after lunch and will usually eat a snack at around 2 and then another at around 4!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 22, 2012 at 8:15 am

love that mango chobani flavor! now that i’ve been adding a mid morning snack (that i try to make carb + protein), i don’t get nearly as hungry after lunch. i used to feel like i needed at least 2-3 snacks to get me through the afternoon til dinner, but now 1 usually will hold me over. it totally depends what i eat for lunch too. a protein + healthy fats filled meal usually does the trick! ;)

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:51 am

I agree – putting more snacks in throughout my day has helped as well!

Emilia February 22, 2012 at 8:31 am

I always have a hard time staying full from lunch until snack/dinner, lunch is such a weird meal in general. I find that I have to have a small lunch and a large snack, only way to last until dinner for me! :)

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy February 22, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I’m the same way. I am not a lunch person..I’d rather eat breakfast for both meals :) …or just snack through lunch.

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:51 am

ugh me too – but during the school year I don’t have much of a choice. Lunch time is a great time for me to socialize with the other teachers!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 22, 2012 at 8:49 am

I usually have a salad for lunch too, but I have that problem where I’m full from all the veggies and then 2 hours later I’m starving again! Feel free to quit be a teacher and come make me lunches. Oh, and those mashed sweet potatoes. Those look amazing…

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:52 am

I have that problem sometimes too which is why I’ve been pairing up my salad with a whole grain/protein – that way I don’t want to gnaw my arm off!

Jessica February 22, 2012 at 8:56 am

I love your pumpkin protein muffin! Amazing. It is definitely my new favorite snack/dessert. Last night I took it to a whole new level of awesomeness by melting some of my dark chocolate bar on top of the muffin then eating it with my plain greek yogurt mixed with cinnamon. Crazy good!

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:53 am

Oh I’ve definitely had that combo before!!!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 22, 2012 at 8:57 am

I have a tougher time staying full between breakfast and lunch.

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family February 22, 2012 at 9:00 am

I have a really hard time staying full after lunch. Part of the reason is that since I am a stay at home mom, I am home most of the day and have full acess to my pantry and fridge. When the kids go down for a nap in the afternoon, I use that time to relax/blog which is always accompanied by lots of snacking! And it doesnt really seem to matter how much I eat for lunch. My husband told me he needs to put a lock on the pantry for me…may be true!

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:54 am

I can definitely see that being a problem – I would do the same!!

chelcie @ chelcie's food files February 22, 2012 at 9:07 am

mango chobani is one of my favorite flavors!

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:55 am

That the was the first time I had that one – it was really good!

Maggie February 22, 2012 at 9:08 am

I always get hungry a few hours after lunch but I think it’s mostly because I’m just tired and ready for a nap! (and rarely actually have time for that nap)

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:56 am

Me too! You should see me driving home from work – my head is usually trying not to bob up and down. It’s scary some days.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 22, 2012 at 9:36 am

I think it’s more mental than actual hunger but the days that I can go without a snack between the hours of 3-4 are few and far between. I usually need something to get me through the end of the work day, even if it’s just a cup of tea. Something to keep my mouth busy (twss).

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:56 am

haha!

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign February 22, 2012 at 9:45 am

I always get snacky right before lunch and dinner, too. It helps when I make a point to have a snack before I’m hungry (i.e. at 3 instead of at 4:45) so that I don’t spoil my dinner!

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:57 am

I definitely broke that rule yesterday – I didn’t leave school until around 4:30 and found myself eating my snack until then! Unfortunately, I had to be somewhere else at 7, so I had to eat my dinner even though I wasn’t hungry!

Grace February 22, 2012 at 10:14 am

I have a hard time in general because as a college student my days always seem different and this semester I just cannot seem to get into a routine! My biggest problem is actually making dinner stick and not snaking late into the night when I’m up doing the homework that is due the next day thanks to procrastination.

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:57 am

I always give into the night time snacking – I love eating something before bed too much!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 22, 2012 at 11:22 am

My lunches usually keep me really full until about 3 or 3:30 when I have a snack. But I have a hard time staying full after breakfast! :P So I’ve started adding a morning snack on days when I eat an earlier breakfast. I can’t argue with eating more food! ;)

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:58 am

Amen!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 22, 2012 at 11:26 am

I need to find out if they have Chobani here in Canada – I see it all over the blog world! I have yet to see it in Whole Foods but bar Whole Foods I haven’t hunted around too much…I seriously want!!!! :)

Also, Sabra roasted pine nut hummus is the best thing in the world. Period.

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:58 am

I don’t think WF carries it! And I’m not sure if Canada has it – I have yet to see it on any Canadian blogs!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables February 22, 2012 at 11:34 am

I love ending the day with a couple of squares of dark chocolate! So delicious and a satisfying way to end the day :)

I need to keep almonds on hand for an on-the-way-home-from-work snack, so I’m not ravenous by the time I get home!

Jordan@almondjay February 22, 2012 at 11:35 am

I actually have a harder time staying full from breakfast to lunch but once I’m done eating lunch I have finally filled my stomach enough that it usually makes it till I get home from work.

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 22, 2012 at 11:46 am

I can’t wait for the smashed sweet potato recipe! Sounds great!

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen February 22, 2012 at 11:46 am

My day is ALWAYS full of snacking…such is the life of an elementary school teacher who grabs whatever she can WHEN she can. It’s not always glamorous…which is why you rarely see a ‘real’ food diary from me. ;)

Oh nutritional yeast + avocado…and Sabra’s Roasted Pine Nut Hummus? What is it about it that makes it so delicious?

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm

All your eats look great! I make sure to get protein and healthy fats in every meal. That is what seems to hold me over the longest :)

Carrie Purchase @ Myhealthyaddictions February 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I always eat every 3 hours, whether Im hungry or not! That way I will keep my metabolism up and never have hunger pains!
Lately I’ve been having a hard time with healthy fats as I am allergic to Avocados and Flaxseeds. Its been Peanut and Almond Butter, Almonds and Olive Oil… Any other suggestions anyone?

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:59 am

That’s my strategy as well!

Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection February 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I hit that same hunger wall around 10:30 in the morning and always bring something to work with me between teaching classes…I always have an afternoon snack around 3, too. Clearly I’m a snacker–I just can’t stand to be so hungry!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I haven’t had that mango Chob but it looks great… I need to try that one. Bet the family would love it too…we’re mango fans here!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 22, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Protein and healthy fats at lunch really pull me through…I also need a good healthy carb otherwise i get a bit grumpy lol. Recent favourite is chicken salad with melon, blueberries, and a little bit of cooked quinoa all topped with a zingy lime dressing…very filling and fresh!

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 5:59 am

That sounds delicious!

Jess @ Healthy 'n Hungry February 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Everything looks delicious! Do you think you could use applesauce instead of the pumpkin in your protein muffin?

cleaneatingchelsey February 23, 2012 at 6:00 am

You definitely can! I’ve done it before when I’m out of pumpkin!

Jentry Nielsen February 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Oh I love the mango chobani flavor, one of my favorites! I cannot survive without my midmorning snack. I will over eat way too much when it comes to lunch time if I don’t have something! Same with dinner. I usually like to have some fruit with a nut butter or mixed in a greek yogurt. Some fiber and protein usually does the trick! :)

kaity February 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm

yumyummm cant wait for sweetpotatos there my fav! and i been on my peanutbutter detox for over 2wks now (my fam thinks im crazy wen i say i been “clean” for 2wks lol) and been loving the almond butter, my first try a couple of yrs ago wen it was the “healthy”thing to have i cudnt even finish the jar now im just as obsessed as i am with pb def cant wait to make urs gotta just get bak to costco to get my jumbo bag of almonds!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy February 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Your food always looks so good! Lately I’ve been at a loss for what to bring to work for lunch. Nothing sounds good to me anymore…I’m in a slump, haha. I did have mango Chobani for my afternoon snack today. It’s the first time I’ve tried that flavor, and I was happy with it!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 22, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I am hooked on Kale Chips right now! I just love them sprinkled with sea salt.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 22, 2012 at 10:12 pm

That salad looks so great! Can’t wait for the sweet potato recipe :)

Mei February 28, 2012 at 1:24 am

Have you tried Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) or Barney’s Almond Butter (crunchy is to dieeee fro)? Both are incredible and much more peanut butter like!