fun facts friday

February 24, 2012

1. Does anyone else feel bad for birds during the winter? On my way home from school today, it was freezing rain and I looked up in the sky (perfect idea while driving 75 mph on a highway by the way) and said out loud “those poor birdies”. I’m a freak. Oh — PS, I did look back at the road too.

2. Speaking of birds, I kept hearing one last night over and over again while sitting on the couch. I asked the Husband if he saw a bird out the window, and he laughed. Apparently the sounds of birds was coming from his iPad — and they were very very angry.

3. SNOOOOOOOWWWWW!!! I thought we were in the clear for snow this winter. Whatever, I don’t care. It snowed.

4. I get to meet this lady tomorrow. We’re going for yoga and brunch. I am so so excited, and I can’t wait to talk for hours with her.

5. I’m convinced that Charlie understands every word that comes out of my mouth. He probably only wags his tail because I pet him, but I swear he knows what I’m saying. I always wonder what he is thinking in that brain of his. Probably something like – “maybe if I wag my tail for long enough she will give me more food?”

December 20, 2011 013

6. My next movie obsession is going to be The Hunger Games — oh my gosh I can’t wait until that movie comes out. I devoured those books last year and have been waiting for the movie to come out ever since then. It was all the rage in fifth grade last year.

7. Yesterday, my doctor gave me Chinese herbs to begin taking 3x a day — they taste gross. I don’t care.

8. Today marks the end of my second trimester of the school year. Where in the world did the first two of them go? For real — I can’t get over this.

9. I ate this for dinner last night. It’s something even the Husband will eat (with a side of chicken for him of course).

10. Sometimes when you have no more money for groceries, you can still bribe your husband to go to the store to get a few things and go over your budget. And then you can go to your mom’s house and she’ll give you food to bring home. Good things, too — like almonds, hummus, eggs, brussels sprouts, granola bars. I heart her.

11. I’m reading this book to the fifth grade during our bike safety unit. I usually teach science to all three classes (we switch for a half an hour of the day to prepare them for middle school), but since it’s the end of the trimester, we are switching it up for a few weeks. Reading this book once is sad enough, but reading it THREE times out loud is absolutely heart wrenching. I had to do everything in my power today not to cry while reading it.

12. It’s Friday!! (duh!) Have a great weekend!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles February 24, 2012 at 6:12 am

HAPPY FRIDAY!
…..YAY you’re half way through the year! :) That is super exciting and scary each and every time that it happens- you’re half way to summer! …… I need to check out that book, except I would cry reading it if it’s sad- it’s pretty much a guarantee! …..You’ll get used to those Chinese herbs and be able to take them like a champ in a couple of weeks!

cleaneatingchelsey February 24, 2012 at 6:17 am

2/3 through the school year!!!!

Khushboo February 24, 2012 at 6:13 am

Fo real- where is this year going?? Apparently it’s already March next week!! Have a great weekend! I’m jealous about your dinner last night- cooking quinoa is so hit & miss for me! The other I overcooked it to the point where it ended up being mush…i.e. inedible! Throwing it out was painful!

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:03 pm

That’s so sad! I hate to waste food.

Blog is the New Black February 24, 2012 at 6:15 am

I can’t WAIT to see the Hunger Games!!!!

Cara Craves... February 24, 2012 at 6:19 am

Just started reading the Hunger Games…I had to see what all the hype is about. I am looking forward to the movie as well.

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:03 pm

You are going to LOVE the books!!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 24, 2012 at 6:22 am

None of my friends or family has read the Hunger Games books. I might have to see the movie the day it comes out by myself, but that’s okay.

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 24, 2012 at 6:28 am

1. SO excited for tomorrow!
2. herbs are absolutely disgusting… but so good for you!!
3. i NEVER pass up an opportunity to grocery shop with my mom… or in her pantry :)

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health February 24, 2012 at 6:28 am

Happy Friday! Soo funny that you thought you were hearing an actual bird :) . That’s totally something I would do! And I’m so with you on The Hunger Games. I cannot wait for the movie! I just started rereading the first book in order to prepare for it haha.

Tina @ Best Body Fitness February 24, 2012 at 6:38 am

I can’t WAIT for Hunger Games to come out either and I just got sucked into them!

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Come to Chicago and we can go to the movies together.

Linz @ Itz Linz February 24, 2012 at 6:42 am

we started our third tri on monday :) :) yaaaaay! but that means parent teacher conferences are next week! must.get.through!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 24, 2012 at 7:17 am

Happy Friday :D

Lori Lynn February 24, 2012 at 7:23 am

I was in Speech/Forensics when I was in High school, and that book was floating around as a serious prose piece. It was EXTREMELY popular. There were sometimes two people performing it in the same round. I’ve never read the whole book, but I know from what I remember, it was really sad.

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Did they just take an excerpt from the story and perform it?

Lori Lynn February 26, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Yeah, for dramatic effect it was usually the part where the sister finds out her sister had been killed. (about 10 min worth of cutting)

Kristin February 24, 2012 at 7:29 am

LOL at the Angry Birds – Glad they WEREN’T in your backyard!

I have managed to remain oblivious to the whole Hunger Games pnenomenon, but I keep hearing so much about it, I may have to find out what all the fuss is about…

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers February 24, 2012 at 7:31 am

I wish I could make a food run to my mom’s house. Sadly, North Carolina to Kansas isn’t exactly budget-friendly.

Happy Friday!

Lauren February 24, 2012 at 7:33 am

I so wish I could join you ladies tomorrow! Two of my favorite people!! :) Have a great weekend hun.

Michelle@PeachyPalate February 24, 2012 at 7:40 am

Cheesy chickpea quinoa for dinner tonight for me!!! what are the chinese herbs for???

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:06 pm

To get my hormones normal! :) It’s part of my baby makin’ regime. ;)

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 24, 2012 at 7:43 am

Happy Friday :) I also believe that my dog knows exactly what I am saying at all times! haha

Marina@cowboycountryvegetarian February 24, 2012 at 8:03 am

When I got to #3 I was cold too, like one of those birds you were talking about! Dogs and cats,yes I do think they know what we say, and they choose not to answer! Wise creatures!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 24, 2012 at 8:03 am

I cannot wait for the Hunger Games movie!!!!! And have fun at yoga

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) February 24, 2012 at 8:30 am

Wish I lived closer to you. We could dress up like Katniss and be the first ones in line for the movie! Think our husbands would be game for dressing up like Gale and Peeta? hmm…

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:07 pm

mmm probably not, but we could still do it!!! haha!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) February 24, 2012 at 8:31 am

oh, PS- please kiss Charlie’s little nose for me. He’s adorable.

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:07 pm

ps – I will! :)

Felicia @ Natural + Balanced February 24, 2012 at 8:33 am

herbs are amazing, especially when its a chronic issues. but yes…not fun to take hahah. he may or may not tweak the formula based on how you feel and respond, but hope it helps you!! :)

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:08 pm

This past week he put me on something that wasn’t quite as “aggressive” as he usually has people take since we don’t know where I am in my cycle. However, I am responding INCREDIBLY well to them already!

JEM February 24, 2012 at 8:40 am

Charlie is too cute, seriously. I just want to smoosh/hug him.

christina February 24, 2012 at 9:32 am

it’s friday!! you’re going to kill me, but my very favorite thing out of this whole post is that you spelled brussels sprouts correctly. i adore you for that S that everyone seems to forget. :) :)

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:08 pm

haha darn those people!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 24, 2012 at 9:38 am

I swear dogs understand you. They have to! Or i’m just nuts and talk to my dog anyway ;D

Anna @ On Anna's Plate February 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

Don’t dogs have a vocab of roughly 100 words? So, he might not understand EVERY thing you say– but probably a lot!!! My dogs always seem to know exactly what I’m saying too :-)

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I actually googled that after I read your comment and there was an article all about how dogs know about 100 words or so!

Cecilia February 24, 2012 at 9:49 am

Okay I have never posted (I guess I’m one of those lurkers:)) but I just wanted to say I love your fun facts Friday posts! The other day I thought it was friday and when I realized it wasn’t I was really sad that I wouldn’t get to read your post! Anyway… I love your blog and am a fellow Chicagoan! Also, I had to take Chinese herbs once and yes, they taste disgusting.

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm

:) Thanks Cecilia!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 24, 2012 at 10:09 am

Chinese herbs always taste gross to me! No matter which ones..they aren’t exactly candy-like.

Snow…ugh. That’s why I hate Chicago and the midwest…you think it’s done for the year and then, it’s not. Hang in there!

Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat February 24, 2012 at 10:16 am

I Just found your blog… and I love it!! I’m with you on the Hunger Games, I’ve been waiting for the movie since I finished the books (and even bought advanced tickets a couple of days ago, how dorky is that?!) I’ve just read through this post and your “about me” but can’t wait to read more! Happy Friday!

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Hi Stephanie!! I’m glad you found me. I’m about to buy advance tickets – not dorky at all!

katie February 24, 2012 at 10:48 am

Have fun at yoga tomorrow! I did yoga 3 times this week, I love it so much!

Mike is out near your way right now, he told me the snow did come! Winter is back! Hope spring comes soon!

Have a great day love! <3

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 24, 2012 at 11:07 am

I really want to read The Hunger Games… but I’m seriously not going to have a minute of spare time to read until the summer. This semester is brutal for me! :P

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:10 pm

That’s so sad – do you have a break any time soon?

Brandi February 24, 2012 at 11:43 am

Is it already Friday!!?? Wow, this week has gone by fast! :)

I KNOW my cat understands me. He cracks me up!

Happy Friday!

Jen February 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

I can’t wait for the Hunger Games movie!
Such a cute pic of your dog too

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm

that angry birds story made me giggle out loud. anddd yes, I bought my Hunger Games ticket. ;)

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Am I a dork or what?

Amber K February 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I’m super excited that Hunger Games is finally coming out. Although it’s going to be a good long while before I go see it. I hate packed theaters. I also heard that the Maze Runner series is going to become a movie too, excited!

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites February 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm

are you going to any blogger retreats any time soon Chelsey? :)

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I wish, but it’s probably not in the financial cards this year!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm

OMG I am so excited for The Hunger Games movie too – I devoured those books. But while I know a ton of people in the blog world that are into them, I don’t know that many of my friends who have read them so I need to start nagging them so I can have a buddy to line up with me a midnight haha (well, maybe that’s pushing it a bit far…)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I NEED to read The Hunger Games!! I am just trying to find time to read things I actually want to read and not textbooks!

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family February 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I talk to my dog like he understands me too. And honestly, I kind of think he does…

Carol @ Lucky Zucca February 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I am totally one of those people that thinks their dog understands everything they say. My boyman and I joke around and say “Sadie speaks English!” I figure I’m just too boring for her to actually respond. hahaha! And I am SO excited for the Hunger Games movie too!! I just finished the books last week and am obsessed. I kind of want to read them again already.

Maureen February 24, 2012 at 4:35 pm

YAY! 2/3 of the way through the year. I am counting down the days until my school is out! HUnger Games is amazing and I cannot wait for the movie…I just got Mockingjay because I am about 2 chapters away from finishing book 2 and obviously cannot go any longer without reading the last book!

Shayla @ The Good Life February 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Moms are so good at knowing what you need and sending you home with delicious goodies…moms just always know best :) Happy Friday!!!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes February 24, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I also take gross herbs 6x a day. You’ll get more used to the taste. If it’s in a liquid dropper like mine I put some water in my mouth first and then swallow. Can barely taste it.
SO pumped for the hunger games movie too! I hope it’s not horrible.

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:11 pm

6x a day? That is intense!!! I was told 3 times a day or I could split it up and just do 2x a day. I’m sticking with the 2x a day.

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee February 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Hahaha some people I know have already pre-bought movie tickets for the HG opening night! Sorry the herbs taste gross- that stinks! I can’t swallow the huge Mucinex pills so when I have congestion (i.e., pretty much always) I have to take the kids’ which is supposed to be grape but actually its just disgusting. I read a lot of Barbara Park books when I was younger, but I don’t remember that one. Maybe a good thing? Have a great weekend! :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 24, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Hahaha!!! I love these posts!! Chinese Herbs…I’m all over these, but they do taste like gym socks!!

Happy Friday! xxoo

Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama February 24, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I am so excited about the Hunger Games movie. And I don’t get excited about many movies. Parents are the best. Mine always buy us food too!

Jeanna @ myadventures February 24, 2012 at 7:43 pm

OK, so totally feel you on the birds thing. I always feel horrible when it’s really windy and they are trying to fly against the breeze. Also your dog is so adorable she reminds me in a way of my Allie-girl. Hunger games is the best and glad that your year is almost done :)

Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath February 24, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I still need to READ The Hunger Games! It’s on my to-read list :)

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 24, 2012 at 9:23 pm

This week was the first week of our last trimester at school. I can’t believe how quickly it’s going, yet how summer still seems so far away :-)

Emily February 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I’m convinced that dogs understand us. WAY more than we think they do. They’re so smart, it amazes me.
And I always feel bad for birds during the winter! I’m so glad I’m not the only one.

Clare @ SweetnSimple February 24, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Charlie is adorable! :)

Baking Serendipity February 24, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I talk to my dog like a crazy lady too…and I’m fairly convinced he’s started to speak my language. No bigs.

Emilia February 25, 2012 at 5:48 am

I keep on hearing about the hunger games, I think the universe is trying to tell me something! And…I’ve never thought about what birds do in the winter (it is kinda sad and strange though) but I have wondered if they could fly across large bodies of water. This after seeing a pigeon walking around Heathrow Terminal Four after getting 2.5 hours of sleep…
Hope you (had) a fantastic Friday!

Kaitlyn @ Pain Can Be Fun February 25, 2012 at 7:52 am

Ohhh I’m OBSESSED with the Hunger Games! SO excited for the movie next month :)

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries February 25, 2012 at 8:21 am

I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE HUNGER GAMES MOVIE!!! Obsessed.

Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third February 25, 2012 at 10:49 am

Yippppiiieeee for the school year flying by!!! I feel the same way. It’ll be summer before we know it (wishful thinking at it’s best).

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy February 25, 2012 at 2:10 pm

My fiance plays Angry Birds on his phone every time we’re watching TV on the couch together. It kind of works out, because I get to watch my girly shows without any complaints :) .

Alexis @ Hummusapien February 25, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I just drove home from school to Cleveland and there is so much snow here!! So I feel ya on the snow surprise.

I’ve been meaning to make your cheezy chickpea quinoa…as soon as I hit up Whole Foods bulk bins I’ll be sure to whip that up!

PS– still dying over your mexican socca pizza….seriously obsessed :)

Lily February 25, 2012 at 8:50 pm

YOUR DOG IS SO CUTE. And I’m reading The Hunger Games now, so good! Can’t wait to see the movie. I hope you have an awesome day tomorrow!

cleaneatingchelsey February 26, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Thank you! I’m quite partial to him. ;)

Mary Legare Whaley February 25, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Haha! The bird comment? Yes, I feel bad for birds in the winter and in the wind. I’ve seen birds fighting a cold wind, and I wonder what they’re thinking. When I run on a cold windy day, my thoughts are something like: “Mother f$*%@#$ wind! I hate this brutal cold!!!” So I wonder if birds are thinking the same thing.

Julia Poccia February 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Charlie is so cute! I feel completely out of the loop, but I have no idea what Hunger Games is or what it is about.

Tiffany February 27, 2012 at 9:38 am

I have been reading your blog for a long time and the baby making stuff is right on target with me, what herbs are you taking? I am also in the Chicago area not far from you I think and I was wondering what Dr you are going to?

Lauren February 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Gah, I randomly stopped getting my period sophomore year of high school and went to a acupuncturist who mad me take herbs and it was like drinking dirt every morning!