first signs of spring

March 7, 2012

A few things:

1. I want it to permanently stay in the 60’s until it is summertime. That would be fantastic.

2. That’s not going to happen — it’s going to be 46 tomorrow. Rats.

3. I need to stop being lazy and take nice pictures for my WIAW posts for you all. I’m a slacker.

4. I saw some green poking out of the grass yesterday — come on spring!!!!

Peas and Crayons

Breakfast — 6:00 AM

Oat in a jar made the cut yesterday. You know that jar of almond butter Katie sent me a week and a half ago? It’s gone. Long gone. And I want more. I’m so greedy. It was so delicious though. I had my usual “bowl” and topped it with a part of a crumbled blueberry muffin from OMG It’s Gluten Free.

March 6, 2012 009
On the side I was going to have some tea, but by the time I sat down, I didn’t want to get back up again. Laziness at its best.

Snack — didn’t happen

I was so mad at myself yesterday morning. I usually eat a snack during my planning period (my kids are always in specials for the first half hour or hour of the morning), but yesterday morning we had testing so we didn’t have our usual specials. I forgot to grab my yogurt out of the fridge that I was going to eat while the kids were doing their test — no snack for me!

Lunch — 11:30 AM

Veggie Chili. OMG It’s Gluten Free sandwich bread (can you tell I bought out the store?). Hummus.

March 6, 2012 012

and an orange!! (pictured below)

Snack — 3:30 PM

I can’t tell you how much I love testing weeks. They’re laid back (for me at least!) and it means extra recess so the kids can stretch their legs after working their brains so hard all day. Win. Win. The usual snack was consumed on the way home from school today!

March 6, 2012 013

Dinner — 6:00 PM

Dinner was apparently very… green!? I swear I didn’t plan to use a green plate and to have a very green dinner as well. It just worked out that way. I made a batch of Cheesy Chickpea Quinoa (with kale!) and some roasted green beans that were on their last leg in the fridge. I had seconds of both.

March 6, 2012 015
I’m kind of weird when it comes to green beans. When they’re fresh and pretty long (like French fries!) I have to use my hands to eat them. You learn something new (and probably not wanted) every single day. I can’t eat them with a fork… especially when I try to dip them in ketchup (don’t hate.).

After dinner I broke out the dark chocolate and put it on the couch (on a napkin) for a few minutes. When I came back, IT WAS GONE! Charlie ate it, and I freaked out. The Husband said he’ll be fine, but I spent the rest of the night worried that my dark chocolate would be his demise.

Snack — 8:15 PM

I have been on an oatmeal kick every night for the past week or so. I was out of Greek yogurt and was feeling a little done with the protein muffin kick for a while. Oatmeal twice in one day is always a good thing in my book! Instead of making it on the stove, I’ve been making it in the microwave, which is the way I made it for 3’ish years before I was introduced to stovetop oatmeal. Oh, and I didn’t take a picture of it because I’m lazy and my camera was already put away. It was good though!

Oh, and I ate about 2309203983 spoonfuls of almond butter as I was making a new batch this afternoon.

Be happy friends! It’s already Wednesday!

Question: What is your favorite part of spring?

char eats greens March 7, 2012 at 6:07 am

That quinoa mix looks SO good…I have a butt-load of cooked quinoa sitting in the fridge that I made yesterday…somehow cheesy anything sounds good in my books. I always think of you when I make my little nuts and raisin mix pack. I picture your baggy! Mine has chocolate chips in it, too, because when you mix a raisin with a choc chip, it taste like a glosette. Win-win!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:11 am

haha – that’s so funny! I love it!

Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection March 7, 2012 at 6:08 am

What did you all mix together for that dinner? It looks fantastic!
It was 60ish degrees here yesterday too and SO beautiful–the sidewalks were all filled with people–MN is similar in the fact that 60 is a huge deal, too! : )

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:11 am
Sarah (I Dream of Beets) March 7, 2012 at 6:10 am

Colorado was a total teaser too – 78 yesterday and 30 today with snow. Grr. My favorite favorite part of spring is the smell – so fresh! And, I miss being in Milwaukee for the lake. The windy, choppy lake in the spring is so beautiful. Mountain springs are lovely too, though.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:12 am

That’s a little more extreme than us! We’re back in the 40′s today. Boo.

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles March 7, 2012 at 6:12 am

Is this your only week of testing or will you have to go back? I saw you had them down for an AM & a PM session of it (blah! no fun for them!) ….We have T,W,Th this week and then I have to go again in April- I was just wondering how other states do it. Good luck CEC’s kiddos. I have been praying for focus for my kids *so* much lately- I wonder why?! ;)
Spring is on the way and that means summer is at least somewhere around! I love *ALL* of spring! It’s my favorite season!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:12 am

We only have testing this week!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 7, 2012 at 6:13 am

Aw Charlie looks like a pretty big dog; I think he’d have to eat a lot of chocolate to get sick!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:12 am

Yeah, he’s still alive and kickin’! :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb March 7, 2012 at 6:16 am

the flowers! i love when color pops back into our front yard.

i’m totally fine with these 60 degree temps sticking around as well. wishful thinking?!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:13 am

You didn’t wish hard enough! It’s 40 again today. ;)

Katie @ Raisins&Apples March 7, 2012 at 6:23 am

I love sundresses and bright flats. I’m not much of a fashionista by any means, but I love the spring wardrobe!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:14 am

You and me both! Although it does mean that I have to start shaving my legs more frequently!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 7, 2012 at 6:29 am

Ha! I always eat my green beans that way! My favorite first sign of spring is when the farmers market starts back up! I love walking down there on Saturday mornings!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:14 am

You just made me so excited for the market!!

katie March 7, 2012 at 6:30 am

I had oats in a jar today, have not had in forever because I never went thorough peanut butter or almond butter so fast like I am now! Its a good thing! So funny, I used to buy almond butter and no lie have that jar for like 3 or 4 months, now I am almost done with one jar in one week, yay!

Happy Wednesday! <3

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:15 am

That’s so good! I’m so proud of yoU!

Lauren March 7, 2012 at 6:41 am

Everyone knows those extra licks from the jar don’t count! Especially when it’s homemade. :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:15 am

Amen.

Linz @ Itz Linz March 7, 2012 at 6:45 am

the weather for sure!!

jana @ newly wife healthy life March 7, 2012 at 6:53 am

Why, oh why are oats in a jar so cute?! Ha ha! So much better than oats in a bowl! :-)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:15 am

I agree! Except I always burn my tongue because they don’t cool off like in the bowl!

Laura | A Healthy Jalapeño March 7, 2012 at 6:56 am

Chelsea, I am loving all this green.. and what a cute idea to walk us through a daily food menu. Nice work.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:16 am

Thanks Laura!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 7, 2012 at 6:59 am

I love the warmer weather of spring! Also the produce :D

Blog is the New Black March 7, 2012 at 6:59 am

Spring weather, and outdoor walks, for sure!

Katy @ A Shot of Life March 7, 2012 at 7:41 am

Spring = opening the sunroof! Sounds silly but I always get super excited the first time I’m able to open it up after winter, and inevitably crank the tunes and act like a high schooler again. ;-)
That quinoa salad looks great!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:16 am

I’m all for that as well! Except I don’t have a sunroof, so I’ll just have to do the windows!

Emilia March 7, 2012 at 7:44 am

Completely agree on sixty degrees until summer, it’s so much easier to get things done when the weather is nice!

Those oats in a jar look fantastic. I’m always kind of jealous when I see photos of oiaj, it’s like I want to eat them right now. haha :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:17 am

Although warmer weather is nice, it’s almost near impossible to get the kids to focus when it is nice outside!!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 7, 2012 at 7:52 am

My Jack Russel ate 1/4 of a chocolate cake with chocolate icing last week. She’s still alive, but I was worried!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:17 am

Charlie’s still alive and kickin’ too!

Alaina March 7, 2012 at 7:54 am

I love the smells of spring! And the 60 degree weather is just perfect for me.

That quinoa dish looks delicious!!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 7, 2012 at 8:15 am

my favorite part of spring is that the days get longer! and that green starts to appear!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:18 am

Don’t forget to “spring ahead” this weekend!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 7, 2012 at 8:15 am

It’s going to be 61 here today and I’m already itching to take the afternoon off work and go play outside! My favorite part of spring is seeing the bulbs start to come up. My daffodils are like 3 inches tall right now and I’m psyched :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:18 am

I saw some poking out of the ground as well!

Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 7, 2012 at 8:21 am

Yippieee for spring!! I really can’t choose my favorite thing… Flowers, sundresses, sandals, outdoor recess (!!!), sunshine, picnics, etc etc etc…

Lindsey March 7, 2012 at 8:22 am

I always like to add some bright colors into the house at Spring time, just to get out of the dreary winter feeling! I also love hosting our family’s Easter brunch :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:19 am

Fun! I love picking up fresh flowers to put on the kitchen table. It makes everything feel so nice!

Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona March 7, 2012 at 8:24 am

I always look forward to the tulips and crocuses coming up. Even if there’s still snow on the ground they’re persistent, pushing up out of it. It reminds me that there will be more pretty green things soon, and the snow will be gone!

Marina@cowboycountryvegetarian March 7, 2012 at 8:33 am

I am glad to see you had some Kale on Tuesday. Why? My blog may have some answers …:)
The smell of the spring is the most amazing part: when new green leaves just open up and have a fresh pure scent of green… Spring is about the smile: each bloom is like a nature smiles to you, and you want to smile with all your heart… Spring is romantic… Spring is beautiful…

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 7, 2012 at 8:47 am

Your oats in a jar look fabulous!

And I agree, I am soo ready for warm weather!

Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach March 7, 2012 at 8:51 am

We’re getting into the 60s today and maybe even breaking 70 tomorrow! Love love love the first taste of spring! My favorite part – being able to roll down the windows and open the sun roof on the car and smell the fresh air! Yay!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:19 am

I love fresh air too! We’ve been sleeping with our window open for the last two nights. It’s been AWESOME!

Kelsey March 7, 2012 at 8:55 am

I’ve been eating oatmeal twice a day lately! I can’t get enough especially with some coconut butter in it..o ..m..g..

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:20 am

I haven’t had coconut butter in FAR too long!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness March 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

I’m SO bad about remembering to take pictures of my food lately!

And the dog eating the dark chocolate in my house would have been her demise. Don’t mess with my nightly chocolate! ;)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:21 am

haha – I think he was mad at me. He NEVER eats my food!

janae@hungryrunnergirl March 7, 2012 at 9:12 am

You missed your morning snack?!?! That is precious for teachers…you are never allowed to miss that again. GREEN sprouting up, that makes me beyond happy! I hope it warms up again for you gorgeous girl! Have an amazing day!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:21 am

It was pretty horrendous. I was upset! :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

I am LOVING this weather! I wore a normal (aka not giant knee-length puffy northface) yesterday and today! So happy. And I need to check out OMG It’s Gluten Free!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:22 am

You need to the next time you go to the doctor. It’s pretty close to Dr. Stratton’s!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile March 7, 2012 at 9:28 am

I go through nut butter like there is no tomorrow!! Your cheesy quinoa look deliciousssss. Here in Florida it’s always spring/summer so I can’t answer that question hah

Brandi March 7, 2012 at 9:32 am

I thought that I was the only one that ate my green beans that way! :)

I love Spring and all of the flowers it brings! We are about to get 5 days of rain….ugh.. Not fun, but I guess we need it.

Have a great day!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life March 7, 2012 at 9:52 am

I love your eats – nothing wrong with a green plate. And I need to get on this homemade almond butter thing…just not sure my processor could handle almonds at the moment :( !

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:22 am

Oh no! Is it on it’s last leg?

Grace March 7, 2012 at 9:55 am

My favorite part of spring is spring break! And I really love the Easter Holiday especially all the pastel colors!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga March 7, 2012 at 10:51 am

Making oatmeal in the microwave is the only way I make it. I know some people say the stovetop is better, but I doctor it up so much anyway, anything lost in the making process is gained in the doctoring up process.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:23 am

haha – I swear by stovetop oats. They’re much creamier!

Brittany @Little b March 7, 2012 at 11:02 am

I will tell you what is NOT my favorite thing about spring… Allergies! Mine are going nutso which is in turn making me nutso!

But my favorite things would have to be spring training (I live in AZ) and tanning… even though it’s bad for me. oops.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:24 am

That stinks! I have seasonal allergies, but they’re not tooo bad.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats March 7, 2012 at 11:43 am

My favorite part of spring is the sound of all the birds in the morning! It makes me happy! By the way… my dog ate 3/4 a batch of brownies a couple of weeks ago – I totally know that freaked out feeling!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:24 am

Yikes! I hope he’s okay!

kaila @ healthyhelper March 7, 2012 at 11:57 am

That cheesy quinoa sounds delicious! I have to go check that recipe out!

My favorite part about spring is the longer days! Yay for more day light and warmer temps!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:25 am

Don’t forget to spring ahead this weekend!

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola March 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Right there with you in wanting it to stay warm until summer! We had a glorious warm weekend and now it’s cold again… boo! Your OIAJ look fantastic- I need to try my hand at making some since I have a peanut butter jar that will soon be depleted! And I’m right there with you when it comes to green beans! If they’re cut up I’ll use a fork, but if they are roasted like that I love to use my fingers and dip them in ketchup! Yum!

My favorite part of Spring is when the sun starts coming out more and the temps start rising! And when I was in school it was of course Spring Break but sadly I don’t get that anymore!

christina March 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I am jealllllous that you got some of Katie’s nut butter. Move to SC if you’re ready for Spring. It came early. In like November. Ridic.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:25 am

haha – Chicago’s winter has been pretty pathetic as well.

Khushboo March 7, 2012 at 1:07 pm

You can’t beat the springtime flowers, longer days and not needing a jacket!

Amber K March 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I love Spring in that it’s not Winter anymore so I can stop freezing my butt off. And it’s before Summer and I’m cursing at the heat wishing it was Winter again. The only thing I hate about Spring is the rain. The weather finally gets to a perfect place and I have to get rained on all day. So basically I’m never satisfied…LOL

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:25 am

haha!

Coco March 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I made almond butter last night and it is very dangerous to do when your in that snacky mood.. Good thing it’s yummy and healthy.. even if you eat half the jar :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:26 am

I definitely went to bed Tuesday night with an almond butter stomachache!

Sadie March 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I too must eat green beans with my fingers. I often realize halfway through my portion how inappropriate it is, but it just seems right. My kiddos start state tests next week…aaahhh.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:26 am

I don’t do it in public – just at home! :)

Jentry Nielsen March 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Your green dinner does look delicious!!!
If I am making anything with nut butter, I always have that extra spoonful while I’m preparing it…it’s a bad habit to break!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List March 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Favorite thing – TIME CHANGES this Sunday!!! YAHOOOOOO!!!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:26 am

Woohoo! Spring forward!

Whitney @ The Adventures of Now March 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I can’t wait for spring! I love daffodils they’re always the sign that spring is really on it’s way. Something about picking them on the playground when I was little. So excited to ditch the heavy coats.

Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Ketchup and green beans…I am not sure about that one!
I am so ready for spring too. It is 60 degrees in NYC and I can hardly stand that I was cooped up at a desk all day!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:26 am

I put ketchup on everything! ;)

Carrie @ MyHealthyAddictions March 7, 2012 at 4:28 pm

You crack me up! Ha I am lazy about getting up after sitting down to eat too!
I still need to make my own Almond Butter!
Good news for me- its supposed to be in the 60′s this weekend :) :)

kaity March 7, 2012 at 5:00 pm

ughh i really gota get to costco to get my almonds to make the almond butter! and made your cheesy chickpea quinoa other night, delish! i was gettin bored of just makin stuffed peppers with quinoa so figured i try something diff:)

Michelle (Better with Berries) March 7, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I always have a snack during my second hour plan, but today we had to do “learning walks” (when teachers go to observe other classrooms just to get ideas) so I didn’t get to eat it. So I ate it in front of my 3rd hour students. They were not happy :-)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:28 am

hahah! My kids are allowed to snack during the day if they want to, so I’m allowed to as well!

Sarah March 7, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hi Chelsey! Because of you, I too found the love for almond butter. I will give you appropriate comments at my funeral (from almond butter overdose) one day. I enjoy your WIAW’s, but what on EARTH is that stuff in your tupperware container at lunch?! THAT’S the hummus?? It looks like a dead fish. What kind of hummus is this? I’m sure it’s tasty…:)

cleaneatingchelsey March 7, 2012 at 8:21 pm

AHAHA!!! That was the funniest comment in the world!! It’s just a blob of Sabra roasted pine nut hummus. You’re right – the way it’s “plopped” in the container makes it look like a fish!

Rachel March 7, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I love green beans as does my son, but my daughter will only eat them with ketchup. This makes my husband crazy, but better a green bean with ketchup than no green bean at all! I LOVE green beans with barbeque sauce.

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:28 am

Ketchup is a vegetable.. right? ;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 7, 2012 at 8:25 pm

My favourite thing about spring is definitely the warmer temperatures. I am constantly cold all winter long, so it feels amazing to finally NOT be cold in the spring. :P

Lily March 7, 2012 at 9:10 pm

yum! everything looks great. especially your breakfast!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 7, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I cannot get enough OIAJ!

Katie March 7, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Yay for testing weeks!! I’m happy for you…such a welcome little break in the Spring. And it means summer is riiiight around the corner! Yipee!

(glad you liked the AB and figured out how to make it for yourself, too!)

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:29 am

yeah I’m just a nut case. When I made it the other week, it was thicker because of the flax seed, but I wanted this batch to be super creamy. It worked!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 8, 2012 at 12:08 am

I eat green beans with my hands too. But no ketchup…i save that for roasted broccoli. Fav part of spring would be seeing all the flowers come into bloom and welcoming back all the yummy fruits of spring and summer. Your cheesy quinoa looks yumm…gonna have to try that!

cleaneatingchelsey March 8, 2012 at 6:29 am

Roasted broc and ketchup is also an acceptble combo.