luck of the irish

March 12, 2012

Did you know it’s St. Patrick’s Day on Saturday? Unless you’re Irish or you really enjoy partaking in drinking a few green beers, probably not. Believe it or not, St. Patrick’s Day isn’t even really that big of a deal in fifth grade. It’s one “holiday” they really don’t care if we celebrate or not. My favorite part of St. Patrick’s Day at school, though, is going to see all the third graders’ projects they make for the holiday. Every year they make “Leprechaun Traps” after their science unit on levers, pulleys, and machines. It’s awesome to go see 60+ projects that they worked so hard on.

When I was younger, on St. Patrick’s Day our rooms used to get ransacked by my sister until I was older and realized that a Leprechaun didn’t really come through my room and create a mess that looked like a tornado flew through. Apparently the logic behind that one is that the Leprechauns get angry that you try to catch them in traps so they leave your home/room a huge mess. I thought it was pretty fun until I had to clean my room up later.

I am Irish by heritage, so I’m allowed to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. And when I say “I’m Irish”, I really mean “I’m 25% Irish and the other 75% of me is comprised of other heritages”. My mom’s side is Irish and German, which is just a horrible combination when it comes to people liking to partake in adult beverages. I don’t drink very often, and since I’m gluten free, I don’t enjoy taking part in drinking green beer. I do, however, really like cabbage — not the corned beef that goes along with it, but cabbage by itself is so incredibly delicious.

To help you decide how to celebrate your Irish holiday on Saturday, I thought I would share my favorite cabbage recipes with you.

Roasted Green Cabbage

January 1, 2012 017

Asian Barbecue Stir Fry

December 15, 2011 007

Cabbage Lentil Soup

November 15, 2011 017

Loaded Cabbage Soup

Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole

And even if you aren’t Irish, you should still celebrate just for the fact that cabbage is even more cheap this week — I got 3 pounds for $0.99!

Question: Do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? What’s your favorite way to eat cabbage?

Faith @ For the Health of It March 12, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I’ve never gotten into St Patty’s day, and while I am enjoying eating more greens lately, I’ve never made cabbage for myself. I may have to try your roasted cabbage recipe in the name of the season!

Lindsey March 12, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I never really have – in University everyone went out to drink green beer and I do not drink beer so I just tagged along.
This year I think I will make me and the hubby spinach shamrock shakes for breakfast to celebrate – oh how times have changed ;) haha

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 12, 2012 at 5:16 pm

i’ve never really celebrate st patrick’s day, but i DO love cabbage! i used to scrunch up my nose to it, but my love has grown for it over the past few years. my favorite way to eat it is either roasted or in a big stew.

Michelle (Peachy Palate) March 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm

This post of course caught my eye..and Irish girl living just outside of Dublin :) Ireland are playing England in the 6 nations rugby this Saturday too so they’re likely to be pandemonium between the parades, the rugby fans and those who stick with the customary few pints of Guinness to celebrate the day! (When I say pandemonium I mean it in the best way possible!) Cabbage and bacon will be on offer for all the meat eaters! (I might just have to make your stir fry!)

Liz March 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm

St. Patrick’s Day is My birthday, so yes I celebrate. I usually go all out (especially when I was in college) but this year my husband and I are going for a little weekend getaway.

Rachelle March 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I’ve never celebrated St-Patrick’s day just never got into it. I love love love cabbage rolls. It’s my favorite way to eat cabbage. Great blog sounds like your sister just wanted to mess up your room lol.

elise March 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm

i knew we shared some heritage! im mostly german and irish too – with some other unknown random stuff. but mostly those two. not big on cabbage, but i enjoy wearing green i guess…kyles birthday overlaps with st pattys so we always celebrate big – for both occasions.

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves March 12, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Cabbage is the cheapest vegetable on earth and one of the yummiest!

Katie @ Raisins&Apples March 12, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I’m not into the big St. Patrick’s day scene, but my family is Irish so we do use the holiday as an excuse to make corned-beef and cabbage.

I just eat the cabbage…corned beef, not my thing!

Miranda @ Miranda's Munchies March 12, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I love St. Patrick’s day! Everyone makes a pretty decent effort to celebrate it here, drinker or not (although I’m not Irish and there’s not really that many Irish here). I’m not really a big drinker so I definitely won’t be going to the bar or anything, but my husband and I will wear green and pinch those who don’t ;)
My favorite way to each cabbage is kapusniak soup (fermented cabbage, like sauerkraut in soup). So good :)

Marina@cowboycountryvegetarian March 12, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I am not Irish, but cabbage lives in this home. And a lot of it. Top of it is homemade sauerkraut (I know, you don’t like it. But we grew up with it too and love it. ) Next would be cabbage rolls, cabbage stew, polish bigos (aka Hunter’s stew), soups, and zillions of cabbage salads. I can tell you that: since October 2011 we’ve ate 97 pounds of cabbage (2/3 of it in sauerkraut form)! And still no Irish…:) Great post!

Lauren March 12, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Yay for the Irish! I am Irish by decent. My maiden name is O’Neil and I couldn’t be more proud!

char eats greens March 12, 2012 at 6:26 pm

My grandpa’s birthday is on St. Patty’s Day, so I’m sure I’ll be partying it up with him….kidding. But I do secretly wanna know how he celebrated back in the day! haha

Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 12, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Ohhh I’m so excited to try that roasted cabbage!! Since this St. Patricks day falls on a Saturday, I might just have to partake in the festivities!

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness March 12, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I let out a little squeal today at the grocery store when it was $.19 a head for cabbage! Roasted cabbage is my new love in life and I’ve been throwing cabbage into anything I can lately :)

Katie March 12, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I most definitely celebrate St. Patrick’s Day! My family is super Irish, even though my new married name may fool you. This will actually be my first St. Patrick’s celebration without an Irish last name, so I’m determined to compensate for it!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I’ve never been one to get all that excited about St. Patrick’s Day! Plus, I’m not the least bit Irish!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 12, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Oh I love the looks of that first pic. YUM! Roasted veggies are great and roasted cabbage is fabulous (except for the way it makes your house stink…LOL)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 12, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Haha we made leprechaun traps as an elementary school project too and I remember getting SO into it! The teachers even judged them and gave candy to the designers of the best traps.
And don’t worry, I’m Irish and German too (half and half) and I can’t STAND beer!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats March 12, 2012 at 7:44 pm

St. Patrick’s Day is a huge celebration for me! We go out hard every year with corned beef and cabbage.

Michelle (Better with Berries) March 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I have a huge head of cabbage in the fridge that I need to use – I may have to roast it! I’ve never had it that way before. I’ve always just made asian slaw with it.

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile March 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I’m irish and german too! Very small amount though haha. No gluten/beer for me either, oh well. I used to love corned beef and cabbage!

kathleen @ the daily crumb March 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

i need to try that roasted cabbage!! thanks for the reminder :)

by the way, our a to z’s are kind of scarily similar (is scarily a word…?!)

cleaneatingchelsey March 12, 2012 at 8:44 pm

they are, but that just means we are meant to be soulmates or something. Ps – 12 more days until our next veggie omelet eating fest!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 12, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Ummmm are you from Chicago? Haha from what I understand it’s a pretty big deal here! Although I can’t say I’m disappointed that I can’t drink green beer. I much prefer the corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots that my mom used to make every year! Sooooo delicious. And all gluten free! Yay! And I asked my mom if I’m Irish, and apparently one distant relative was Irish… I’m mostly German, English and Welsh, although I pretend I’m Irish on St. Patrick’s day since I can pull it off…

Karina March 12, 2012 at 8:56 pm

i’ve had your cabbage lentil soup bookmarked for forever and finally bought everything I need to make it this week! i plan on roasting the leftover cabbage….i’m pretty sure i’ll love it since i love any roasted veggie!

natalie @ southern fit foodie March 12, 2012 at 9:41 pm

We don’t really celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at all – although I do try to wear some tiny speck of green that day! All of the bars in our area are PACKED on St. Patty’s Day (obviously), so we usually take that opportunity and stay home. :)

I LOVE CABBAGE! My family grew cabbage (like acres and acres and acres of cabbage) until I was in middle school. I actually believed that I was “found” under a cabbage plant until I was around 6 or 7 (thanks to my older brother convincing me that I was really a cabbage patch kid – it made sense to me). We ate cabbage with dinner tonight – stir fry mix of cabbage, zucchini, and broccoli with a little chicken thrown in – all topped with sriracha and light soy. AWESOME!

Tala @ Bite Size Wellness March 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I LOVE cabbage! I can’t wait to make your cabbage soup. Thanks!

Jenn's Adventures March 13, 2012 at 12:35 am

My boyfriend and I definitely celebrate St. Patrick’s Day — It’s our Anniversary! =)

Sara @my less serious life March 13, 2012 at 6:51 am

i see roasted cabbage in my future!!

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 13, 2012 at 7:05 am

Oh my goodness, I LOVE St. Patrick’s Day! I’m quite Irish, and my family has always made a big deal out of the holiday. I’m praising Jesus that it’s on a Saturday this year :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 13, 2012 at 7:11 am

St. Patrick’s day is a huge deal at my school – it’s basically an excuse to skip class (or go to class with booze), go downtown, and spend the entire day at a bar. Ridiculous green booty shorts are often included. :P I’ve been dragged downtown by my friends for the past few years and it’s always pretty fun!

Ruth March 13, 2012 at 7:40 am

The past few years I’ve gotten in to celebrating “holidays,” no matter how minute. I baked up a loaf of Irish soda bread last year, and I am really excited to recreate it again Saturday.

Lizzie @TheWeekdayVegan March 13, 2012 at 8:49 am

I will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day this year by carbo-loading for my first ever marathon which is the day after St. P’s!

By the way– I am recently gluten free. I am trying to figure out what to eat the night before a race that is gluten free…any tips?? Much appreciated!!

Kate March 13, 2012 at 11:42 am

Thanks Chelsey! I’ve been looking for a great cabbage recipe for St. Patty’s Day. I have an odd question though. I remember my Irish grandparents cooking a lot of cabbage on March 17′s past, and it always made the house smell. I live in an apartment. If I make one of these, are my neighbors going to run me out of town?

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola March 13, 2012 at 11:47 am

St. Patrick’s day is a holiday that I’ve never really gotten into either. In college everyone went crazy for it, getting up at 3:30 in the morning to go to this one bar to start drinking. I however, always preferred my beauty sleep (and had class) so I never partook in these traditions. The 3rd graders projects sound much cuter! These recipes all look great! I’ve never thought to roast cabbage but since I’m pretty obsessed with roasting veggies I need to try it!

Wendy Heath March 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Looove St. Paddy’s. I’m a Caucasian Mutt (TM)- but there is legitimate Irish and Scottish in my heritage (and as much as they’ll decry it, there is much cultural and ethnic similarity there). I used to Irish stepdance, and my favorite event of the whole year is our local Scottish/Irish Highlands Festival in a mountain town near us. We usually do up St. Paddy’s with corned beef, cabbage, and RED beer (like Killian’s). Dyed Budweiser is a travesty, the green beer thing is absolutely ridiculous. This year, however, I’m running a 5k the morning of after working a 12 hour overnight, and then we’re teaching night navigation on our local search and rescue team, so it’ll be a very nontraditional St. Paddy’s indeed!

Jentry Nielsen March 13, 2012 at 1:24 pm

That stir fry looked delicious! I’m part irish so I love St. Patricks day! It’s so fun, such a silly holiday, but so much fun to celebrate! haha I’ll have to try out some of these recipes, the family would be so impressed! :)

Amber K March 13, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I love coleslaw, but I’ve never tried roasting cabbage. It looks delicious!

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 13, 2012 at 1:51 pm

seriously, roasted cabbage it PERFECT, so juicy but crunchy (outside crispiers) and wonderful!

Nescett @ bananaoats.wordpress.com March 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Perfect timing! I have cabbage coming in my vegetable delivery on Friday and I was wondering what I was going to do with it!

Alaina March 14, 2012 at 9:17 am

I’m not really a big fan of the crowds on St. Patrick’s Day. I live in Boston so they are huge! I celebrate the day after St. Patrick’s Day…my birthday! :-D