luck of the irish

March 12, 2012

Did you know it’s St. Patrick’s Day on Saturday? Unless you’re Irish or you really enjoy partaking in drinking a few green beers, probably not. Believe it or not, St. Patrick’s Day isn’t even really that big of a deal in fifth grade. It’s one “holiday” they really don’t care if we celebrate or not. My favorite part of St. Patrick’s Day at school, though, is going to see all the third graders’ projects they make for the holiday. Every year they make “Leprechaun Traps” after their science unit on levers, pulleys, and machines. It’s awesome to go see 60+ projects that they worked so hard on.

When I was younger, on St. Patrick’s Day our rooms used to get ransacked by my sister until I was older and realized that a Leprechaun didn’t really come through my room and create a mess that looked like a tornado flew through. Apparently the logic behind that one is that the Leprechauns get angry that you try to catch them in traps so they leave your home/room a huge mess. I thought it was pretty fun until I had to clean my room up later.

I am Irish by heritage, so I’m allowed to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. And when I say “I’m Irish”, I really mean “I’m 25% Irish and the other 75% of me is comprised of other heritages”. My mom’s side is Irish and German, which is just a horrible combination when it comes to people liking to partake in adult beverages. I don’t drink very often, and since I’m gluten free, I don’t enjoy taking part in drinking green beer. I do, however, really like cabbage — not the corned beef that goes along with it, but cabbage by itself is so incredibly delicious.

To help you decide how to celebrate your Irish holiday on Saturday, I thought I would share my favorite cabbage recipes with you.

Roasted Green Cabbage

January 1, 2012 017

Asian Barbecue Stir Fry

December 15, 2011 007

Cabbage Lentil Soup

November 15, 2011 017

Loaded Cabbage Soup

Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole

And even if you aren’t Irish, you should still celebrate just for the fact that cabbage is even more cheap this week — I got 3 pounds for $0.99!

Question: Do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? What’s your favorite way to eat cabbage?

{ 42 comments… read them below or add one }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: