near perfect weekend

March 19, 2012

The winner of the Trop50 giveaway is #10 Danielle – “Tea!!! Hot or Iced, I’ll drink it any time!” Congratulations! Please email me to claim your prize.

I am so incredibly sad to see this near perfect weekend go — alas, one more week until Spring Break!

I didn’t have any major plans this weekend besides going to dinner on Friday night with a friend, and I really liked it that way. On Saturday, I cleaned our house for a total of 7 hours — and I am still not done with the spring cleaning. Oy.

That part might not be near perfect — BUT! Sunday was near perfect. We had a great day all around in the CEC household.

IMAG0139

Our first stop after church included a Costco run. I didn’t need too many things, but stocked up on some favorites like Sabra Hummus, Silk Almond Milk (when I don’t have a coupon, it’s cheaper to buy the 3 pack at Costco), and orange juice for the Husband.

IMAG0141

Seeing as it was 80 degrees out yesterday (!!!!! please tell me it’s never going to end !!!!!), I quickly changed into some comfortable shorts for the rest of the day. My current “I can go out in public with these on” shorts no longer fit — shopping trip in the near future perhaps?

IMAG0140

The Husband worked hard at fixing up our grill this past week, and he finally brought it home on Saturday afternoon so we could grill out yesterday. It looks like a brand new grill! He painted it because some parts were rusting out and did some other things that I forget. Whatever, it looks awesome. :) I love grilling, although I think the Husband felt like I ripped his man card away from him — I let him flip his burgers.

IMAG0143

Despite one asparagus casualty, everything turned out fantastic. I made asparagus, sweet potato wedges, tofu, and burgers for the Husband. We finished our lunch happy and quite satisfied. The best part about grilling?

IMAG0144

No dishes to be washed!!!

After lunch, the Husband and I quickly made the decision to take Charlie to the dog park. Believe it or not, the Husband and I never go to the dog park together. One or the other usually takes Charlie so the other can get something done around the house without Charlie all up in their business. It was a nice hour to just relax and watch Charlie play with all of his “friends”. I have concluded he’s like the really annoying friend who doesn’t leave you alone and/or understand social cues from other dogs. He’s quite the incessant dog who loves to play.

The rest of the afternoon was spent reading, taking a quick cat nap, and putting away a ginormous pile of laundry that had been sitting on our guest bed for at least two weeks — hence the “near” perfect description. Why oh why do I always put off putting laundry away?

I also decided to head to a vinyasa class that started at 6. It was a donation based class that my favorite instructor decided to hold on Sunday nights — it really kicked my butt. Yoga has gotten harder since I stopped running, and I think it has a lot to do with my core not being quite as strong as before. My balance has totally been off, and I was challenged with the “birds of paradise” pose — my legs were shaking!

When I got home, I was sweaty, thirsty, and especially hungry. After downing two glasses of water, a piece of toast with an egg on top, I took a shower and sat down with a little bit of LOVE to end my night the right way.

IMAG0149
Near. Perfect.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Have a wonderful Monday!

Question: What made your weekend “near perfect”?

Lauren March 19, 2012 at 6:02 am

I always think one of the best parts about grilling is the minimal clean up too. :) Glad it was such a great weekend hun.

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:04 am

Been thinking about you! Shoot me an email about how things are going!

Parita @ myinnershakti March 19, 2012 at 6:05 am

I love weekends where things just happen and I don’t have to put too much of an effort into planning. Glad it was a good one for you!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:05 am

Hope yours was good as well!

Jordan Lynn (Ciao Cow) March 19, 2012 at 6:13 am

My weekend was the end of my Spring Break, and I did a long half-marathon training run, and then, I spent the rest of the day lounging around and skyping people from the States. It was glorious although I could have gone for some 80 degree weather. :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:05 am

I’ll send some your way – I could go for like a 65 degree day right about now!

katie March 19, 2012 at 6:39 am

So glad your weekend was great girl! How nice the husband and you both went to the dog park! Mike and I took a nice walk yesterday, no dog with us though ;)

Love yoga! I am glad you are enjoying it, you will get that core strength back :)

Love you!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:06 am

That sounds like a great Sunday afternoon!

Khushboo March 19, 2012 at 6:43 am

The best kinda weekends are those where little/no planning is done beforehand…i.e. you go into it with no expectations! Saturday night was actually ‘near perfect’ for me- the plan was to go for drinks with a few close friends and then carry on to meet others at a club- 4 of my close friends and I ended up staying at the bar chatting away and it was so great to catch up properly and without any hecticness!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:06 am

Fun! I love nights like that!

Coco March 19, 2012 at 6:54 am

It’s been the opposite for me- I’ve started running and lifting weights more consistently and yoga got harder with the muscle gain. I was also slacking off with my stretching before so that had more to do with it probably!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:06 am

Well that stinks! I hope it gets easier for you soon!

Becky Przy March 19, 2012 at 7:02 am

Impressive grilling skils you have! You really can’t beat not having to do dishes.

The weather made the weekend near perfect–a bit windy, but 70′s in MN, in March, I’ll take it! And it was fun watching our 2 year old kick and chase a ball around the yard. I think she gets her lack of coordination from me;-)

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:08 am

Why thank you! I do pride myself on my grilling skills!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 19, 2012 at 7:13 am

The weather this weekend made it perfect for me! So gorgeous :)

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction March 19, 2012 at 7:22 am

I went to BoYo (Boston Yogurt) for some frozen yogurt on Sunday! It was amazzzing! :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:09 am

That does sound quite nice!

Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 19, 2012 at 7:29 am

Having my husband come home from a bachelor party yesterday afternoon ended my Sunday perfectly! Aaannndddd being in a nice clean apartment… I did about seven hours of serious spring cleaning as well!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:09 am

Isn’t being in a clean house so nice? TOo bad it lasts only like 2 minutes.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 19, 2012 at 7:30 am

Getting to be in CO with my parents for the first half (skip over the flying back to Chicago part and the bad long run) and then being super lazy Sunday on my last day of spring break! That’s what made it “near” perfect.

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:09 am

I would have to say so! I would have loved to have been in CO!

Tiff March 19, 2012 at 7:37 am

My weekend rocked because I got to party it up for St. Patty’s, spend time with the family, and enjoy great weather. Hurray for Spring!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:10 am

Nothing better than that!

Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air March 19, 2012 at 7:40 am

Having all those grilled veggies would have made my weekend near perfect! In all seriousness though, running in my first ever race made my weekend near perfect – and being rewarded at the finish with kegs and eggs

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:10 am

Congrats on your first race!

Anna March 19, 2012 at 7:43 am

near perfect = having the weekend off from work and getting to go visit my best friends.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 19, 2012 at 8:01 am

that sounds like my definition of a perfect weekend too! i’m glad it was a great one for you! it ended up being rainy/snowy/cold here this weekend, which i was totally bummed about. it was gorgeous all week, and then the weekend comes and the sun decides to go away. oh well, it’ll be back soon! i can’t wait to grill outside!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:10 am

I hope this upcoming weekend is nicer for yoU!

christina March 19, 2012 at 8:29 am

Grilled vegetables! I want! That’s what was missing from my weekend, ha!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:11 am

Come over! I’m grilling again tonight!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles March 19, 2012 at 8:41 am

Ooooo, mine was pretty much perfect too! I got to go home and spend uninterrupted time with my family- mom & dad, sister, + niece & nephew, and my husband too—– HEAVEN! It was awesome, I got to play with the kids, bake sugar cookies with my sister and nephew, chill with my mom and dad, and just enjoy the time- WITHOUT rushing to get back!
I’m so glad that spring break is on your horizon! Happy Monday!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:11 am

How nice! Been thinking about you! Hope all is going well!

Kelley March 19, 2012 at 8:59 am

I love, love, love Sabra Roasted Pine Nut Hummus! We also had a pretty amazingly beautiful weekend in NC!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 19, 2012 at 9:07 am

Spending time with my lovely boyfriend made the weekend perfect.

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 19, 2012 at 9:20 am

The warm temperatures, and an early Easter celebration with my fiance’s family on Saturday. His family will be out of town on Easter, so I get to celebrate twice this year!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:11 am

That’s so much better than having to go to two places in one day like we do!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 20, 2012 at 7:24 pm

True. We usually do tha and it’s just too hectic!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 20, 2012 at 7:25 pm

that*

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

Glad you had the nice weather! It’s been cold, rainy, windy, just AWFUL here for 3 days. Think November in Chicago weather and totally miserable and horrible…that’s the weather in “sunny” San Diego. ugh! This may be one weekend where the Chicago weather trumped San Diego by a mile. Glad you had a stellar weekend!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:12 am

I’ve heard the weather in Cali is just miserable while we’re enjoying all the sunshine!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 19, 2012 at 9:43 am

Haha, I say the same exact thing about our dog. She is seriously THAT annoying friend. Thank God human friends don’t chase you around trying to “play” bite your neck though. That would be awkward…

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:12 am

I think our dogs would get along swimmingly!

natalie @ southern fit foodie March 19, 2012 at 10:05 am

We had beautiful weather here too! I can’t believe the mid-80′s weather in March – I love it!

I also put off putting clean laundry away as long as possible. :)

Suzie March 19, 2012 at 10:17 am

It is always nice to have a relaxing weekend! That grill is making me jealous… we dont have one, but grew up always having some BBQ– I think its a must in the near future, especially as Spring is here! And today I’m due for some Spring cleaning… wish me luck ;)

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:13 am

Yes! You must get a grill – look on Craigslist for a cheap one!

Marina March 19, 2012 at 11:13 am

The weather: no tornadoes, no severe thunderstorms, just two nice sunny days: perfect!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:13 am

Where do you live? Did you get tornadoes two weekends ago?

Marina@cowboycountryvegetarian March 20, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Thank God, no. We had “only” tornado watches then. And another scary night last night. I live in the South, come visit me to see where…:)

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves March 19, 2012 at 11:53 am

The warm weather and lots of outdoor time! Glad you had a great weekend. :)

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola March 19, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love weekends where everything just feels nice and relaxing! How fun that you got to grill too and enjoy such gorgeous, warm weather! I’ve never thought of grilling sweet potato wedges but you better believe that once it gets nicer I’m going to try it! And my weekend was near perfect with a fun time with family and friends at tea on Saturday, a great church service Sunday and watched one of my favorite movies too. It would have been perfect if it hadn’t been pouring rain and freezing the whole weekend!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:14 am

That does stink the weather wasn’t all that great! Hope next weekend it warms up for you!

Emma March 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Yum I love sabra hummus, and I can’t believe you had 80 degree weather! Jealous! What made my weekend great was finally starting my own blog! It’s not much right now, but I would love it if you checked it out! (And maybe someday added me to your awesome blogroll) http://barefootbaker.blog.com/
Have a great week!
-Emma

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:14 am

I checked it out – it’s looking great!

kathleen @ the daily crumb March 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm

mainly the weather :) but also a wide open calendar, just like you! as much as i love being busy, sometimes it’s nice to just relax on the weekends.

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:15 am

Agreed – and PS it might be raining on Saturday morning. :( If it is, we’ll just have to settle for our omelets and no walking.

Amber K March 19, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I went out dancing twice this weekend and still had time to snuggle on the couch with my husband. But yeah, that blasted laundry just kept mocking me from the bed. I still need to actually do it…..

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List March 19, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I got to hang out with Tina and some other bloggers in Atlanta! That was pretty darn nice!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:15 am

I saw that- JEALOUS!

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm

This reminds me I need to go to Costco!

I’m slightly, more like immensely jealous of your weather, it snowed here yesterday :(

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:16 am

Ridiculous Where do you live?

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 20, 2012 at 8:41 am

Meridian, ID- The weather here is so random though. It was snowing on Sunday and tommorrow its supposed to be 65 and sunny….. I just take all the sunny days I can get when they arrive!

Jentry Nielsen March 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Oh yes anytime Costco is involved it does make it a perfect weekend! ha I love that place!!!
That grill looks amazing, I’ve never thought of putting sweet potatoes on the grill, they sound delicious! I’m going to have to try that this weekend! :)

Jordan@almondjay March 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Having the sun come out after days of rain.
I don’t think anyone can have a bad time grilling :)

Kait March 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Snuggling with the beau after being away for a week!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy March 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I hope this awesome weather never ends either! Besides for Christmas, I’d love it the weather were in the 70s-80s year round. :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:16 am

Amen!

Juice Plus+ MD March 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Running the Dolphin Challenge in VA Beach – 8k on Saturday & Half Marathon on Sunday….SWEET (with the Husband & one son)

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:17 am

That sounds awesome! Congrats!

Lisa March 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Haha at first I thought your sink had quarters soaking in it…oopsy. I need a costco card, I always have to steel my parents! And I’ve actually never tried Sabra, it’s everywhere though. Can’t wait for grilling weather!!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:17 am

haha – nope, just my “pebbles” sink mat!

Corrie Anne March 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Ah. So wonderful. Well, my weekend wasn’t quite perfect. But I did get Starbucks TWICE!! My husband had a ton of homework to do so that was a bummer, but the weather was gorgeous! :) I know what you mean about walking the dog. We totally take turns too.

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:17 am

Starbuck’s twice IS perfection!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 19, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed your weekend! But how could you not with such amazing weather as this? I hope it never ends!

My weekend was awesome because it involved sushi with A Dash of Meg, a Saturday afternoon of chilling with friends in a backyard, and a trip to the indoor farmer’s market!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:18 am

Sushi = amazing. I have to get some soon!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? March 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I love not having any dishes to wash after grilling!!! This sounds like a lovely day.

Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath March 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm

My weekend was near perfect due to getting to spend lots of time outdoors in this beautiful weather and catching up with a friend! :)

Glad you enjoyed your weekend!

Sara Webb March 20, 2012 at 6:30 am

I am so, so, so jealous of hearing about everyone’s flip-flop, sundress and sun filled days! Spring/Summer has come so early at home… but its still chilling winter here in Korea >_< But it's okay, I'll live vicariously through sunny weekend posts like yours :)

Michelle (Better with Berries) March 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Well, it wasn’t exactly this weekend, but yesterday I finally got to make a little road trip to see my boyfriend for the first time in months! I don’t want Spring Break to end :-)

Those veggies on the grill look great! I’ve never tried grilling asparagus, but I think I need to!

Ali March 23, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Hmm.. going to the doctors office today…. jeans and shorts not fitting.. could you be pregnant already!?!??

cleaneatingchelsey March 24, 2012 at 8:05 am

haha absolutely not – thanks for the well wishes though! :)