field trip day

April 18, 2012

Why hello there friends! Is it just me or is this week draaaggggging slow like molasses? It might have something to do with the fact that I am like one of my fifth graders and look forward to fun events.

Today we are off on our field trip to one of the museums in Chicago — field trip day is one of the best days of the year! Okay, and the most stressful. When I was a summer camp leader in college, there were only two teachers (me and another teacher) to handle forty kids between the ages of 5 and 12 to handle on our weekly trips to places like arcades, water parks, etc. — I have never been more stressed in my life. So handling 20 fifth graders along with the help of 6 parents seems like a walk in the park compared to that!

After work, I’m also having a fun date with my friend Kelly (hiiii Kelly — I know you’re reading) — we’re going for a nice walk and then out to Cooper’s Hawk for dinner.

But enough about what I’m doing today (am I a chatter box or what today?), let’s talk about what I ate yesterday.

Peas and Crayons

Breakfast — 6:00 AM

Last week I talked about how I was sick of oatmeal — uhhh, please excuse my breakfast. That phase has passed. I think I just needed a little bit of a change. It’s time to break out the overnight oats! These made me happy. Paired with a side of a grapefruit (a la Lauren), it was quite a breakfast.

April 17, 2012 005
At night bring the following to a boil:

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 and 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 banana

And whisk until smooth. Pour into an airtight container, give it a stir in the morning and enjoy with your favorite toppings!

Snack — 10:30 AM

I am totally not ashamed of my snack today — a chocolate chip cookie. I was having lunch with a few students today, and whenever I do this, I always ask what their favorite treats are. It just so happened that one of the little girls I had lunch with today is gluten, corn, and dairy free (my clone!??!), so I made some Purely Elizabeth cookies from the dough that was hanging out in my freezer.

April 17, 2012 010
These were sitting behind my desk while my kids were performing a little song in pairs to help them remember how to subtract integers, and I couldn’t resist. I was getting hungry! And in case you’re wondering what the song is, you sing this to the tune of “row row row your boat”:

“Change the minus to a plus, change the sign of the next. Then all you do is add them up as if they were a plus.”

No, I did not make that up. Did it bring you back to elementary school?

Lunch — 11:30 AM

Lunch was amusing getting to talk with a few of my girls that I ate lunch with. They brought up that it was weird to think about their “teacher has a life out of school” when I was telling them how my lunch was leftovers from last night.

I told them it was a cover, and that I really sleep under my desk every night. ;)

April 17, 2012 008
Lunch was leftover tofu, quinoa (with kale), and the last lonely pizza from Friday night. All of its other counterparts had been eaten cold from the box.

I had a fugi apple on the side… aaaand another cookie.

Snack — 4:00 pm

no words.

July 5, 2011 012
I lied! I do have words! I always forget to tell you my secret about my raisins and almonds. The entire day I’m at school, I store them in the fridge. They’re much better chilled — promise! The raisins aren’t sticky and the almonds get even more crunchy. Best. Thing. Ever.

Dinner — 6:15 PM

Spaghetti and homemade marinara — I changed the marinara up a little bit by using the hand mixer my mother in law gave me for Christmas to get a few of the chunks out. The Husband and I both loved the sauce even more this way.

We both had side salads as well (avocado for her, bacon for him).

April 17, 2012 013

Let’s just pretend I didn’t overcook the pasta and have it get mushy. It was quite a sensitive topic during dinner last night.

Snack — 8:30 PM

Let’s pretend like this isn’t a recycled photo (it is… circa last summer!), but my snack looked a little something like this — except with Love Grown instead of homemade. Perfection.

June 15, 2011 005
If I’m not back by tomorrow, I’ve gotten lost on my field trip. Please send back up.

Michelle@PeachyPalate April 18, 2012 at 6:04 am

Those cookies look so good! I love having a box of cold leftovers for lunch, sometimes things taste even better that way!

Khushboo April 18, 2012 at 6:15 am

Haha I do the same with my almonds and raisins…but then again, I seem to have a preference for cold foods! Chocolate that hasn’t been refrigerated is just not as tasty! Now that you’re back on the oats kick, please try the overnight oats combo with Greek yogurt…you won’t look back (although you’re wallet might hate you ;) )!

cleaneatingchelsey April 18, 2012 at 6:25 am

I put some greek yogurt in mine this morning!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 18, 2012 at 6:18 am

I just ran into some students outside of school this past weekend & they said “you look different outside of school.” lol It’s hard for them to comprehend our “real life!”

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:52 am

haha! What grade do you teach again? I think it’s high school but I can’t remember.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 20, 2012 at 7:09 am

10th & 11th! :-)

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 18, 2012 at 6:28 am

HA! Field trip day- I totally know what you are talking about- so fun but so stressful to make sure that they alllllll come back alive and not lost!
The book “My Teacher Sleeps at School” is still my favorite book from childhood (okay, I have several but I do love this one) It is too funny- they imagine where she sleeps, cooks, brushes her teeth, ect! :)
I’ll come looking for you if you’re not back- excuse to travel to Chicago- Wait, can you just hide out for a little while so I can come find you?!

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:52 am

I do love that book! I love it when teachers read it to the littler ones on the first day of school!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon April 18, 2012 at 6:32 am

I have such fond memories of field trips. My favorite was our 5th grade trip to a coal mine!
Have fun!

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:52 am

Oh that is cool! In 8th grade we took an optional trip to DC – that was amazing.

Linz @ Itz Linz April 18, 2012 at 6:36 am

haha lunch with kiddos is always fun! you’re allowed to bake things for your kids? we’re not… store-bought only. way less fun. have you ever tried soaking your almonds in water? it definitely makes them less crunchy but it does make them a lot more flavorful! and there are certain benefits it brings to your body and digestion. i wrote about it once: http://itzlinz.com/2012/03/02/swollen-nuts/ have fun on your field trip! :) :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:53 am

shhh not really.

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy April 18, 2012 at 6:41 am

Have fun!

That pasta fooled me. Al dente is over rated ;)

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:53 am

ha! I know, right?

Tina @ Best Body Fitness April 18, 2012 at 6:42 am

Have fun on the field trip!! Hope it isn’t too stressful. I can imagine how crazy those days can be. And fun to get out of the classroom.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:53 am

It was actually the most relaxing day EVER. It was great.

Sara @my less serious life April 18, 2012 at 6:56 am

great tip about the almonds and raisins! i am totally trying that!

Jeannie April 18, 2012 at 7:00 am

Have fun on the field trip! Everything looks yummy. I am trying to figure out what I’d on top of your overnight oats. My guess is coconut and nuts or nut butter? :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:54 am

coconut flakes!

Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 18, 2012 at 7:23 am

Oh man, I totally feel ya on the field trips! They are a blast, but I always end up running around like a crazy as I’m counting to make sure all my kids are accounted for! Good luck!!!! :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:54 am

haha It wasn’t too bad actually! It was fun!

Parita @ myinnershakti April 18, 2012 at 7:25 am

Field trip days were always my favorite!

And I must say, I’m pretty jealous of those cookies – so many chocolate chips! :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:54 am

Purely ELizabeth mix – you can buy it offline – it’s so good!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 18, 2012 at 7:32 am

Good luck with field trip day – those cookies look amazing!

Lori Lynn April 18, 2012 at 7:39 am

I don’t envy you at all having to be in charge of the field trip. I’ve been a lot of field trips with Kindergarten and 1st grade students, but I’ve usually only been responsible for 1-2 students, not a whole class. For me, that’s stressful enough! Hope it goes well.
I love your meal ideas. Gave me some good suggestions. I’ve been eating oats, but never thought about adding something to it when I boil it.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:55 am

oh K and 1st grade – I couldn’t do it!!!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 18, 2012 at 7:46 am

oh field trip day… they were always my favorite days too! they still would be if i were still in school or a teacher.
isn’t it so nice to be able to take photos of your dinner with sunlight now?! ahh i love the longer days! :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:55 am

Yes! I love the sunlight at night!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats April 18, 2012 at 7:53 am

That’s so exciting, I loved field trips! Minus the boxed lunches we got… Where are you going?? And I love the almond and raisin tip, I wonder if I should just store those in the fridge in the first place? Ps some 3D titanic could be a great study break this weekend… Let me know if you all are interested.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:56 am

Did you go to a private school growing up or something? We tell our kids to bring their own brown bag lunch!

I wish I could go to TItanic this weekend! I’ve got plans tonight and tomorrow – maybe next wee?

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats April 20, 2012 at 6:48 am

Yes, I went to a private school where we actually weren’t allowed to bring lunch, the food was included in tuition. And I could do Sunday this week or sat or sun next week! Just not Friday since I have a 10 miler race the next morning!

Sarah @BlondeBostonian April 18, 2012 at 8:08 am

I love field trip day! Good luck wrangling the kids!

Good tip about putting the almonds in the fridge. I thought I was the only weird one who liked them that way.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:56 am

Oh yay! I’m glad I’m not the only one!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 18, 2012 at 8:10 am

Field trips were the best days ever!! I hope it’s not too stressful for you! Those cookies look fantastic, as does your bowl of overnight oats :) . Have fun today!

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:57 am

It wasn’t stressful at all – it was a great day!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 18, 2012 at 8:14 am

Have fun on the field trip! I used to LOVEE field trip days! My favorite was Sea World in 6th grade. Oh, those were the days! ;)

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life April 18, 2012 at 8:24 am

Field trips are the best! Have fun with your students :-)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 18, 2012 at 8:24 am

I can’t believe you just said field trip day is fun. You are a saint! When I was a camp counselor I dreaded the field trip day. We went every Thursday and it was a nightmare! Kids everywhere, counting heads every 5 minutes… but ya, I guess they were fun looking back now.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:58 am

Camp counselors and field trips are horrendous. In actual schools, it’s not too bad!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 18, 2012 at 8:34 am

Hahaha, I’ve never heard that integer song but I will admit that I’m sitting here like a total tool singing it to the tune of row, row, row your boat to see how it sounds.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:58 am

haha I’m glad you are testing it out!

Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air April 18, 2012 at 8:43 am

That summer camp experience sounds crazy! Glad you have some parent support on this trip!!

anna April 18, 2012 at 9:04 am

field trips are SO much fun, I’m jealous. I’m also from chicago :) and totally agree on the raisins and almonds, best combo ever! Pistachio and dried cherries are also a really good combo

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:58 am

oooo pistachios – those are delicious!

Abby @ Change of Pace April 18, 2012 at 9:14 am

Thanks for the almond and raisin tip! I’m going to put mine in the fridge right now.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:59 am

How did you like it?

Abby @ Change of Pace April 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm

They were actually delicious. I loved the texture of cold raisins. I’m a convert!

christina April 18, 2012 at 9:23 am

Those cookies look sooooooo good. Have fun today!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 18, 2012 at 10:00 am

I used to LOVE field trip days as a kid. It was like a get out of jail free card :)

Those cookies and that tofu…both look fab!

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 5:59 am

Thanks!

Alysia @ Slim Sanity April 18, 2012 at 10:23 am

That overnight oats recipe looks really, really good. I’ve never had them before, I think I’m going to have to try it out!

Danica @ It's Progression April 18, 2012 at 10:58 am

Every time I think I’m sick of oats my cravings rebound after a good day or two haha
I’m a teacher too and know exactly how stressful field trip days can be, they’re totally worth it though!!

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:00 am

I knew oats would make a comeback sooner or later. ha!

Taylor Kerby April 18, 2012 at 11:19 am

Hey! I just came across your blog and just had to comment!!! I, too, am a fifth grade teacher!!! I have some INSANE thyroid issues and one month ago I was fed up with it. I bought a juicer and started eating clean (ok, ok it’s more like 75% clean and 25% just trying to keep my head above the water!) In one month I’ve lost 16lbs and am feeling great! Thanks for the motivation and the recipes!!!

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:01 am

We are quite similar!!!! Thanks for reading!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

GOOD idea to stuff the almonds/trail mix in the fridge! geniiiiuuusss :)

Lauren April 18, 2012 at 11:30 am

Yay for the grapefruit! Loved that I inspired you with citrus. :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:01 am

haha I was missing out!!!

Corrie Anne April 18, 2012 at 11:31 am

Hope the field trip was amazing. Love your tip on chilling nuts & raisins. Interesting!

kaila @ healthyhelper April 18, 2012 at 11:53 am

Aaaaaah the days of school field trips! How I miss them LOL! They were always such treats when I was younger! Enjoy yourself! :)

Amber K April 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I keep all nuts/seeds in the freezer because they last longer, but mostly because they taste soooo much better cold!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Haha I find your writing so funny. It’s awesome! I remember being in school and my friends all thought our teachers had no lives. I knew better because both my parents are teachers, but I get how it would be weird. That quickly changed – I grew up on an island with maybe 30,000 people so by high school we were partying with our teachers at the bar on Friday nights. Weird, I guess. Lol!

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:01 am

haha thanks – and that’s hilarious about partying with your teachers!!!

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I’m just not a fan of cold overnight oats……maybe if I re-heated them in the morning that might be better!

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:02 am

I cannot even think about stomaching them in the winter, but once it starts to get warm, I can’t event think about stomaching warm ones!

Leonor @FoodFaithFitness April 18, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Your food looks yum! I’ve never had overnight oats, I may have to try them. Althought like the post above, I may have to re-heat them.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:02 am

Try them cold!

Emilia April 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Looks like a great day of eats! I’ve never had overnight oats prepared like that before, but I’ll have to try it soon. Love the idea of keeping nuts/seeds in the fridge. I’ve frozen dates before, but never thought of simply refrigerating raisins etc. Sounds yum :)

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola April 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm

That sounds like such a fun fieldtrip you have planned! Can’t wait to hear how it goes. I can’t believe that they would make you take so many campers on those field trip in the past though! I’d be stressed too! In London, I used to see all the schools on the tube on their way to field trips. All of the kids looked adorable in their shorts, knee highs and blazers but sometimes they’d take 20 3-4 year olds with only 2 teachers! I was always nervous a kid would get left behind on the tube! Oh and those cookies look fabulous.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:02 am

taking 3-4 year olds on the subway? NO thank you.

Lisa April 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Your cookies look divine. What a fun field trip, I remember when I was younger and saw a teacher outside of school I’d be so confused, like what are they doing here. I always thought teachers were living at the school. I love keeping my nuts in the fridge so they are more crunchy.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:03 am

haha i used to think the same thing when I was younger.

Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 18, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Tofu quinoa…I wonder if the hubby would notice what I am feeding him. Hmmm :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:04 am

haha that is NOT what the husband ate. he would not touch tofu with a 10 foot pole. The quinoa, yes.

Brandi April 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Have fun on the field trip! :)

Corrina in beautiful BC, Canada April 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Your tofu looks delish!!! How did you make this one??

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:04 am

Press it, soak it with balsamic, liquid aminos, and olive oil. sprinkle pepper, garlic, and basil – cook it at 425 for 30 minutes, flipping once!

Meg April 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I agree! This week really has gone by very slow! But, for me that’s a good thing! I have had three exams this week, so I needed all of the study time I could get!

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:05 am

That is good – universities are about to wind down, aren’t they? Lucky!

Brittany (Delights and Delectables) April 18, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I bet you are a great teacher! :) I would love your homemade marinara recipe!! I am trying to cut excess sugars out of our diet, and store bought marinara is a big offender!

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:05 am

Aw thanks Brittany!

Maggie April 18, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I’m going to have to try your refrigeration idea for raisins and almonds because I eat that snack every Tuesday/Thursday as well! :D I hope you survived the field trip, those were always so much fun as a student!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Phew I’m glad the oatmeal love is back. I was getting worried there for a second. ;)

I hope you survive the field trip!

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:05 am

I survived!

nicole marie April 18, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Interesting! I hadn’t any idea that you worked in Chicago! My brother-in-law is a fourth grade teacher at a Chicago suburb (Naperville, perhaps?). Perhaps you are one of the pretty school teachers with whom he works (and of whom my sister is jealous, hehe) ? :) I would not doubt the possibility! Sorry for my absence at your blog lately! The scandalous comments at mine have taken over my extracurricular blog life. Nice to check in with you. You are a breath of fresh air! :) x x x

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:06 am

Naperville is pretty close to where I teach!

Elizabeth April 19, 2012 at 6:39 am

I make overnight oats often. How do the oats you made for breakfast differ? I see you boil them stovetop before overnight fridge? Do they taste the same?

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:06 am

They get all voluptuous and plump! :)

Elizabeth April 20, 2012 at 10:02 am

Aww, sounds like me back in college ha!

Tiff April 19, 2012 at 7:42 am

I helped chaperone a field trip for my mom’s students. Wow – so stressful! We only went to a museum, but they were 8th grades. You know – right at that age where they try and get separated from the group.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:07 am

ha! When I was in eighth grade, we went to six flags for a day (we got to go around all by ourselves – big deal!!!) and then we also went to DC for 4 days. It was a blast!

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food April 19, 2012 at 11:22 am

This week has been draaaaaggggggggging for me too! Maybe time is just slowing down now or something. Hope the field trip is fun!

Kris April 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm

YES!!!! I loved Field Trip days in school!!!! Have fun!!!!

Mmmm these cookies?! Seriously??? I’d marry them.

xxoo

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:07 am

They were quite delicious!

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Aww, haha I remember thinking that teacher’s lives only happened at the school too! lol too funny.

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I was a camp counselor for four years in college, so I know that anxious feeling. I once (briefly) lost a camper in a children’s museum that had a lot of twists and turns, but luckily she knew to go right to an employee and wait for me. Scariest moment of that summer.

cleaneatingchelsey April 20, 2012 at 6:07 am

haha! Oh yes, those are scary moments!