There are sooooooo many things I want to say right now about Magic Mike — sooo many things. However, I’m in sort of a weird spot. Do I want my Husband reading about how wonderfully beautiful Channing Tatum was on the big screen? Do I want my mom to know her daughter went and saw such a smutty movie? (which really wasn’t that smutty — and she actually wanted to come see it with me. I firmly told her N-O.) And what about those students of mine? Someday they may get it in them to Google their teacher — do we really want the first thing that pops up to be a review of the movie millions of women lined up to see in the summer of 2012? Yeah, probably not. All I have to say is it was gooooooood people. Real good. Story line? Not so good. Casting and male roles? Thank you, thank you, thank you.
And that’s all I’ve got to say about that.
Other good things going on over here? Air conditioning. I don’t know why mother nature decided to be so temperamental this summer — but really? 98 degrees again today. You can find me indoors at all times. Yesterday I went outside to pick a zucchini, was outside for two minutes, and came in sweating. Not a fan.
And because all good things come in three’s, let’s talk about pancakes (good things = magic mike, air conditioning, pancakes) — because pancakes are just darn good. And these are no different. It seems quite ridiculous that I keep making pancakes for you all (or actually for me — ha), but when you’re gluten free and have about ten different flours hanging out in your pantry, you experiment and sometimes come up with recipes you can’t help but share.
Brown Rice Flour Pancakes
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour **
- 2 tbsp. almond flour **
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup — 1 cup non dairy milk (start with 3/4 cup and add to the consistency you desire)
** you could substitute the coconut flour and almond flour for another 1/4 cup of brown rice flour, although I’m not sure they will be as fluffy!
1. In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, and cinnamon. Toss until mixed.
2. Once mixed, add in the vanilla, egg whites, apple sauce, and non dairy milk. Mix until the batter is smooth. This batter is a little on the chick side because of the xanthan gum, but it’s necessary for the pancakes to stay together.
3. On a greased skillet, make equal sized portions of the batter. You’ll have to spread it out a little bit. Cook 3-4 minutes on one side and flip. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Make sure the pancakes are cooked thoroughly!
Oh, and I put blueberries in mine — you know, if you’re into that kind of thing.