a halloween wiaw

October 31, 2012

Oh my gosh, can I just tell you how frustrating the past few days of my life has been with the blog? My server was updating something (I seriously don’t really even know what was going on), and my AWESOME computer guru, Ryan, has taken the wheel and is working on switching servers for me. I’m sorry, but if your services means that my blog is down on and off for three days, then I am no longer your customer! Ugh, glad this is almost over, that’s for sure!

(edited to add: I’m sorry if I offended anyone with my complaining. I know there are a lot more issues going on out there right now with Hurricane Sandy devastating the entire East coast. I didn’t mean for what I said to come off that way. Apologies.)

And now that I’m done being a whiney baby, let’s talk about today. Happy Halloween! I can’t lie — I’m not really that into Halloween. I’m sure it will be different when I have kids, and I enjoy eating my fair share of candy, but right now it’s just kind of “meh”.

But let’s get onto the eats, shall we?

Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats

It’s crazy to think that another month has just flown by — how is tomorrow already November? I’m looking forward to seeing what Jenn has come up with for the theme for November’s What I Ate Wednesday!

Breakfast 6:00 AM

September 13, 2011 003

A nice big jar of overnight oats in a jar! Even though it was cold this morning (30 degrees — brr!), I had gone to work out when I woke up. I was still quite warm even after I got out of the shower and got ready for work! In the almost empty peanut butter jar was:

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 banana, smashed
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • splash of vanilla

Put everything in the jar, stir, and store in the fridge for the morning!

Today was a good day at school — the kids were well behaved, despite their obvious excitement for Halloween. We started off the day with some journal writing where they were able to write a Halloween story. They had to base their story with the following starter: “The house looked haunted…”. I can’t wait to read them all!

Lunch 11:20 AM

Lunch came quickly, and on Halloween, everyone needs to get OUT — a large bunch of teachers went to Chipotle for some laughs.

October 14, 2012 012
I got a salad with brown rice, black beans, veggies, mild salsa, and guacamole. It hit the spot and kept me full for so long today. (Minus the M&M’s I munched on this afternoon — hey! It’s Halloween!)

When I got home, the trick-or-treaters were in full force. The Husband was trying to hide away in his office and hope no one noticed he was home because I was the bringer of the candy! Hopefully word didn’t get out that we were losers with no candy. While I waited for trick-or-treaters, I snacked on a Reese’s.

October 31, 2012 037

Ummmm… how did I not know until a few weeks ago that these are gluten free? I’m pretty sure this is not good news though. I have no restraint when it comes to these! I also read a book that I’m this close to finishing (sidenote: I started it Monday night).

October 31, 2012 039
I’ve never read anything by Green before, but I’m hooked. This story has got me laughing and crying and really feeling for the characters. I’ll do a full review soon.

I got a nice little surprise while I was lounging around — my sister and brother in law brought Aubrey over!

She was a little confused about the whole Halloween thing, but decided she wanted to hand out some candy too. Too stinkin’ cute.

Dinner 6:00 PM

October 31, 2012 041

Tonight was breakfast for dinner! I made a potato hash, and topped it with two eggs and nutritional yeast. A lot of ketchup was on the side!

And I may have had another square of chocolate. Seriously, I’m done with the chocolate for tonight!

I may have a snack tonight, but this dinner filled me up like crazy! I’m looking forward to curling up on the couch with my book and snuggling under a big blanket.

Hope you had a safe and happy Halloween!

Question: What is your favorite Halloween candy?

Beks October 31, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I’m not big into Halloween, either, especially now that I’m out of college. But I love candy! Right now, I’m hiding out in my basement, watching Spooky TV with my dad, avoiding trick or treaters.

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:16 am

haha Halloween in college is so funny. Dress up as skimpy as you can, go out and drink.

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 31, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Um how could you not know Reese’s are gluten free?? It’s chocolate and PB!! And Aubrey is adorable, as always!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:17 am

Because I’m not smart.

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola November 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I just learned that the seasonal ones (ie pumpkins, eggs, trees etc) are NOT gluten free… just the regular ones! Weird, right?

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm

WEIRD!!!

Molly October 31, 2012 at 6:58 pm

While I understand your blog was frustrating, as a reader on the east coast without power, internet, or heat, it’s frustrating to hear you complain when the entire eastern seaboard is devastated by a huge storm.

cleaneatingchelsey October 31, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Okay now I feel like a total brat. I’m so sorry. I didn’t really think about that when I was complaining.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 31, 2012 at 7:12 pm

If we followed that mindset, then no one would ever be allowed to complain because millions of people in the world are without power, food or water all the time.

Lauren @ Forward is a Pace October 31, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Totally agree, Katie. There’s always someone who has it worse. That doesn’t mean your issues are any less frustrating! Sorry you had an annoying few days, Chels!

Katie November 1, 2012 at 11:28 am

This may be a little late, but I agree as well. I don’t think that Chelsey venting about her frustration was in any way trying to overshadow what is going on in the East. I’m glad you feel comfortable telling us these things! :)

That being said, I think I can speak for us all when I say we wish the best for everyone affected by Hurricane Sandy and that those without all things mentioned above can begin gaining those things back quickly.

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Thanks Katie!

Steph k. October 31, 2012 at 7:01 pm

It’s funny growing up in Frankfort I’m used to going trick or treating as soon as you get home from school and being done for the night when it gets dark. Here in Texas things don’t even get started until it is dark! It’s 7pm and the streets are still empty!

cleaneatingchelsey October 31, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Frankfort, IL!?

Amy October 31, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Jane Greene is my fav!!! Her earlier books are even better! What did you like of Sharp Objects? The twist at the end definitely surprised me!

cleaneatingchelsey October 31, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Gaaah! I can actually say I wasn’t toooo surprised. I actually thought it in the beginning, then switched over who I thought it was going to be, so it was already in the back of my head.

Amy October 31, 2012 at 7:32 pm

They all seemed off for sure!

Have you read any Chevy Stevens? Definitely out there like Flynn.

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:17 am

I haven’t! I’ll check it out!

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I have to recommend reading Jane Green’s Jemima J – one of my favs!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm

It sounds good!

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 31, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Semi-sweet dark chocolate that I buy in bulk is my favourite — so decadent!! With a little PB spread on it (decadent!), or in combination with a peach (so fresh!!), it’s just perfect! Candy corn is also amazing, but there’s just nothing quite like chocolate. ;)

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:18 am

That does sound delicious! I’m such a chocoholic too!

Becky October 31, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Ugh! This Halloween was already kicking my ass and then you put up a pic of my fave! This is my 1st Halloween since my January corn-allergy diagnosis! No candy here!

On a positive note, I DID find a candy bar that I can eat – made by Justin’s – the maple-almond-butter guy. Too bad I have none of them!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:18 am

Yeeeah, sometimes I overlook that corn thing. Fortunately it’s not a true allergy and only an intolerance so sometimes I’ll deal with a stomachache! ;)

Becky November 1, 2012 at 6:48 am

I wish I could do that. My husband & I always talk about “what symptom would be worth it?” And apparently joints swollen so badly I can’t walk AND the GI ‘stuff’ just isn’t! :)

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm

UGH! I toally agree!

Kaitlyn October 31, 2012 at 7:21 pm

teacher to teacher, YAY for surviving Halloween!!!!! Oh my goodness, my kiddos (3 year olds) were BOUNCING off the walls all morning, and at the end of the day, one kiddo actually lay down on the playground and curled up next to a basketball. Now, let’s see what tomorrow brings….:)
I Hope grad school is going well for you!!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:19 am

Oh my gosh – I can’t imagine 3 yr olds!!!

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 31, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I feel kind of “meh” about Halloween as well. Christmas is a whole ‘nother story, but Halloween isn’t too exciting for me right now. Your night sounds pretty close to my plans: snuggly blanket, couch, book…and a big glass of wine :)

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:19 am

LOVE Christmas.

Hollywood Healthy October 31, 2012 at 7:39 pm

smarties for sure

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:19 am

Reeeally!?!? I’m not a smarties person. I’ll send all of mine your way! ;)

Lauren October 31, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Are you on Bluehost? They were doing major upgrades this week but thankfully, my friend is an IT guru and did mine all manually so I didn’t have to worry about my site going down. Glad to see your back up and running though.
And I totally broke into our halloween candy too! Unfortunately, our trick-or-treat night got canceled so now it looks like I have an entire bag to myself. Crap! :)

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:20 am

No I was/am/will be switching from Dreamhost. I heart about all of the upgrades though, but some of their VPS stuff was not doing well because of it. Regardless, it was annoying! Bring that candy with you in a few weeks!

Jennifer October 31, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Chelsey you rock!!! Thanks for all the hard work you put into bringing us this blog! Happy November!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:21 am

Thanks Jennifer – you’re too sweet! :)

lindsay October 31, 2012 at 8:28 pm

i’m always whiney when it comes to computer stuff, so feel free to whine to me! but give me reeces first. ;-)

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:21 am

fantastic. I can follow that protocol!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 31, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Cutest witch i’ve ever seen. :-)

And I am all about the Reese’s – so, so good.

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:21 am

haha I told my sister I didn’t like that hat because you couldn’t see all of her cute little hair!

Amy @ Juice Boxes + Crayolas October 31, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Loved that book! I read it over the summer and ended up finishing it on a plane, all the while trying to hold back tears so I wouldn’t be that crazy crying lady in the window seat! :) Such a beautiful story–it was my first Jane Green too.

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:22 am

I seriously wanted to cry when I was done reading it last night!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 31, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I’m not really huge on Halloween either. I wish I was, because I miss getting excited about everything like I did when I was a kid, but you’re right – having kids will probably change that someday. At least we can still enjoy the candy :D KitKats for me!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:22 am

mm I do love some Kit Kats! Although unfortunately I can’t eat them. ::tear::

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 31, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Your dinner looks awesome! I freakin’ love breakfast for dinner.

My favorite candy? Gosh, there are so many….but if I had to narrow it down I would probably go with Twizzlers and Reeses (especially the holiday ones because everyone knows they have like twice the amount of peanut butter as the cups)!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:23 am

Are you a pull n peel twizzler kind of girl?!

Rose Bakes... October 31, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I wonder if your site was down because of the storm damage!? I’ve heard some servers located in the NY area were able to run on generators for awhile but when they eventually lost power, lots of blogs and websites were affected! I’m not sure if that’s true or not, but it sounds plausible!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:14 am

It definitely sounds plausible. However, I got an email saying it was because of a system upgrade! A lot of other servers were going through the same thing but were able to work through it within a few hours.

char eats greens November 1, 2012 at 3:39 am

I was a ‘meh’ Halloweener (hehe) this year too. Plus, we didn’t even get any kids on our street – it’s brand new and still way too muddy, so I get where the parents are coming from. If any kids even live on our street. So it kinda worked out perfectly that no one showed up. Maybe by next year, once our neighbourhood isn’t a building/construction zone anymore we’ll actually get kids and I’ll actually be more enthusiastic! haha

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:23 am

:( Maybe some new kiddos will move in within the next year or so! How many weeks do you have left? It’s getting close, isn’t it?!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 1, 2012 at 5:33 am

I’m so jealous that you have enough time to go out to eat during the school day! Our lunch period is only about 25 minutes!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 6:13 am

We get an hour – it’s a neighborhood school where a lot of kids go home for lunch! :)

Linz @ Itz Linz November 1, 2012 at 6:58 am

hmm maybe almond joys.. i love chocolate and coconut! who is your blog guy? i need to switch over to self hosted and can’t do it on my own!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Almond Joys are the best! If you email me I will email you ryan’s info!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 1, 2012 at 7:05 am

I’m not really that into Halloween either. I live in an apartment, so I don’t even get to see all the trick or treaters. Also that means I don’t need to buy any candy… but now I want some! :P I might have to hit up the post-Halloween candy sales at some point over the next few days. I’m craving some Caramilk bars – those are the best!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm

What are Caramilk bars?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm

These guys: http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/cadbury_caramilk_1.jpeg

Do you not have them in the US?!

cleaneatingchelsey November 2, 2012 at 5:55 am

I don’t think so! We have Cadbury Eggs, that’s it!

Shana November 1, 2012 at 7:11 am

I read that book and loved it!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness November 1, 2012 at 7:24 am

You just made my night to know that reese’s are gluten free!!!! I had no idea and I love them! Hope you had a great halloween!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots November 1, 2012 at 8:15 am

I am not into Halloween and my boyfriend really isnt into it because his grandma passed away on Halloween. But the fact that many houses were powerless and they moved halloween to november 7th I really did not get into halloween this year and totally forgot about it yesterday! Bring on Thanksgiving and Christmas!!

Natalie @ Free Range Human November 1, 2012 at 8:24 am

I am definitely a Reeses girl. Those are without a doubt my favorite. That’s a cute little witch who came to visit!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life November 1, 2012 at 8:32 am

I’ve thoroughly been enjoying my Twix and 100 Grand bars this Halloween :)

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I’m glad! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 1, 2012 at 9:08 am

So much delicious food in this post! You’ve pretty much included all my favorites here… oatmeal, Chipotle, Reese’s, breakfast for dinner! You’re my kinda gal (obviously).

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Obviously is right!

Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits November 1, 2012 at 10:44 am

Yum! Everything looks so delicious! I’m definitely a Reese’s girl but it’s been way too long since I’ve had one!

Alysha @Shesontherun November 1, 2012 at 11:11 am

I love Jane Green. I read “Another Piece of My Heart” on audiobook. Her voice is so slow and dare I say it, annoying. I wonder if I would have liked it better if I would have read it like you!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

haha! I bet you would have!

Missy November 1, 2012 at 11:53 am

I’ve read all of Jane Green’s books and they are all very good! So engaging and easy to swallow and offer stimulating topics to think about too!

Have fun reading them…..Jemima J is one of my favorites.

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm

You’re the second person to have said that!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal November 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I love that book. It’s so good. Glad to hear you feel the same.
I almost got some Chipotle yesterday too but I didn’t. Oh well.

Have a nice day!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm

From 4-close they were giving away $2 burritos if you came in costume!! haha!

Amber K November 1, 2012 at 3:22 pm

There’s no way I could pick a favorite. While I usually opt for Reese’s at a store, I actually hate the individual ones you can get during Halloween. They always seem to be dry, crumbly and often broken.

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I was always a Reese’s miniature kind of girl!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I’m jealous that you get a lunch break that’s long enough for you to go out! I’m a substitute teacher and we only get about 20-25 minutes by the time we take the kids down to lunch and get our own lunch ready to eat!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm

:( I’m sorry! I am pretty fortunate to get that long!

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife November 1, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I feel the SAME WAY about Halloween. Candy is cool but the holiday itself is just not that exciting for me at this stage in life. When I have babies, I’m sure I will change my outlook on that situation. ;)

Annette@FitnessPerks November 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm

What kinds of books do you like best? I am always looking for good recommendations!

I like Halloween, but I don’t LOVE it, like so many do. I think it’s kinda silly, and I don’t really go gaga over candy. Esp not Reeses. But you already knew that ;)

That dinner sounds incredibly good, actually!

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Seriously, I read all kinds of books – funny ones, love stories (like sappy chick flick kinds lol), thrilles, suspense. Love them all!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com November 1, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Glad your blog is back up!!! I adore candy…it’s a problem! : )

Laura November 4, 2012 at 7:18 am

Looks like a very yummy day! :)

Megan @ Fiterature November 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Totally just made those oats for tomorrow AND I friggin love Jane Green. I’ve read every one of her books and wait for new ones. She’s the best!!!