the girl and the goat

November 20, 2012

During one of our conversations on Saturday, Lauren asked me “what would your last meal consist of?” – and you know what? I had no idea. All I could come up with was that I would have real bread and butter (maybe a Texas Roadhouse roll?) without my stomach feeling like I would want to die.

Little did I know that later on in the night I would eat the meal that I would claim “my last supper”. Miraculously, Lauren got us reservations at Girl and the Goat, a must-try restaurant in Chicago for all people. This restaurant has been in the media far too many times to count, and it is worth all of the hype. From the casual vibe to the music playing over the speakers, everyone there seemed to be having a great time. We arrived a little before seven, and the lights had been dimmed. The kitchen had an open design, perfect for anyone who wanted to watch what was going on in the back. The industrial design made for a loud restaurant, but it just added to the eclectic feel of the place.

We were seated in a cozy booth only minutes after checking in, and instantly had no idea what to order. We started on drinks first (I first started out with a tequila heavy drink that I thought would be much sweeter and ended up ordering a glass of white wine instead. Our awesome server comp’ed the first drink since I didn’t like it. Talk about service!), and quickly decided to order a plethora of dishes to pick at together.

Do you want to know the first thing out of our servers mouth before we ordered? “Are there any allergies at this table?” Now THAT is a sign of service, folks. Right off the bat, I knew I would be safe to eat there (if I wanted to strictly follow my gluten free diet… which I kind of didn’t – whoops.). It made me feel cared for that she thought enough to ask. You could tell she wanted everyone to leave happy and satisfied with their experience. I did.

girl and the goat
From top left going clockwise: Kohlrabi salad with ginger dressing. roasted cauliflower with banana peppers, pine nuts, mint, and parmesan cheese. beet salad. scallops with fried brussels sprouts, pecans, and pomegranate.

My favorite? The cauliflower. Oh my gosh… I am not even joking when I tell you that I had to close my eyes at many moments while eating this dish because I just wanted to savor the moment. Lauren and I could not believe how well the flavors worked together, as unique as they were.

We claimed once our dishes were taken away that we were “soooo full” and that there was “no room for dessert”. That was, of course, until our server asked us if we wanted to look at the menu. Lauren and I looked at each other and figured why not?

November 18, 2012 019
When you’re at a restaurant that typically has a two month wait, you don’t pass down dessert, and you definitely don’t adhere to a strict diet. Regardless of how much my stomach would or would not hate me later, I threw all caution to the wind and ate ::gasp:: gluten and dairy – WILLINGLY. ;)

girl and the goat two

Let me tell you…. both of these were to die for. I ordered the bittersweet chocolate while Lauren ordered the Pumpkin Pie Gelato. Both were out of this world and definitely worth the hot flashes, migraine, and stomachache I had shortly after. :) You only live once, right?

Between it all – the service, the ambiance, the very reasonable bill for two foodies who wanted to try everything – The Girl and the Goat is definitely somewhere I would like to go again. Who says you can’t have your last meal more than once?

Question: What would your last meal look like?

PS – My brother and sister in law welcomed their newest addition, Henrietta Lana (Henri or Etta, they haven’t decided yet!), yesterday afternoon. Congrats Kevin and Dani! We got to Skype with them last night, and our family makes beautiful babies!

Angie @ Pint of Goals November 20, 2012 at 6:15 am

I am SO jealous! My husband and I have been wanting to try that restaurant for years. About three years ago, when I think it was first getting big, we had reservations but canceled them. Idiots!
Looks like you had an amazing meal -those desserts looked to die for.

Michelle@Peachy Palate November 20, 2012 at 6:29 am

Wow that meal looks amazing! Such interesting food! I’d have to be really boring and go with about half a jar of almond butter, pumpkin pancakes with banana softserve, chocolate chips and good drizzle of maple syrup! I’m all about the sweet things in life :)

Lauren November 20, 2012 at 6:34 am

I just had another out of body experience looking at these pictures all over again. I think we shared more at this meal than anyone will ever understand!! :)

Amy B @ Second City Randomness November 20, 2012 at 6:36 am

Some girls and I at work decided we wanted to make reservations to eat there. Girl and the Goat for 4 people scheduled around happy hour? We’ll be eating there in 2.5 months. Can’t wait…

Linz @ Itz Linz November 20, 2012 at 6:39 am

the dessert menu alone looks amazing!!!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 20, 2012 at 7:02 am

Yum! I love trying new and different places. This restaurant looks awesome!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 20, 2012 at 7:28 am

All those dishes look fantastic – especially the desserts!

My last meal would be a cheese plate to start, perfectly cooked fish from my favourite restaurant Blacktree, and a salted chocolate mousse cake with really good vanilla ice cream for dessert!

Elizabeth November 20, 2012 at 7:33 am

I’m planning to run the 2013 Chicago Marathon and now I know where I want to eat. I guess I need reservations now?

cleaneatingchelsey November 20, 2012 at 7:36 am

HA! Yes, definitely!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness November 20, 2012 at 7:35 am

Looks amazing! I’m with you on the bread and butter for my last meal! Anything involving bread would totally be on that list!

alyssa - life a la wife November 20, 2012 at 7:41 am

My last meal is a lobster roll from Neptune Oyster in Boston. It is AMAZING!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 20, 2012 at 7:45 am

That dessert looks good! Congrats on being an aunt again :) !

Emily November 20, 2012 at 7:59 am

Ahhhh!!! I want to go there so badly! I walk past it almost everyday during my walks at work!!! Gah!!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 20, 2012 at 8:00 am

Wow, that is amazing! I remember that restaurant being on my list of places in try when I was in Chicago, but I figured we wouldn’t have been able to get in. Those desserts are definitely unique – I would have been all over the chocolate one!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 20, 2012 at 8:03 am

I do the same thing once in awhile! Even though I have a gluten allergy and I know I’ll pay the price for eating it, sorry, but sometimes it’s just plain worth it. Especially for dessert… and pizza… and real crusty, chewy bread.. ok I need to stop! haha

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 20, 2012 at 8:06 am

What’s sad is that out of all of the amazing food in this post, I am now most craving a Texas Roadhouse roll …..gosh, they are just SOOO good! ;)

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots November 20, 2012 at 8:07 am

those scallops look to die for!! so does the dessert, I will put this restaurant on my list of places to eat at the next time I visit Chicago!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 20, 2012 at 8:23 am

Yum! Wow, everything looks so good … especially the dessert!

I feel like the ‘last meal’ question is just too difficult for me. There are so many foods I love, I don’t know how I’d choose. I think I’d need a “last month of meals” instead! ;)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 20, 2012 at 8:33 am

Yummm. When I come visit you, I know where we’re going! ;)

Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete November 20, 2012 at 8:58 am

Last meal? That’s definitely tough! I keep thinking of all this delicious food I’d want to eat. But if I had to pick, I’d say I’d want a steak dinner (w/ garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli). And congratulations on your brand new niece! :)

Ashley @ LibertyBelles November 20, 2012 at 9:46 am

Soemthing with ice cream fo sho. Also maybe mexican. Need some more time to think about it though. haha.

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City November 20, 2012 at 10:02 am

I LOVE girl & the goat!! I’m allergic to eggs & dairy and have a sensitivity to gluten so I had no idea what I’d be able to eat there. I decided to order off the vegan menu and just deal w/ the gluten issues and all of my food was amazing. I couldn’t believe they had a separate menu full of delicious stuff just for vegans!

I’m glad you had a great dinner and truly enjoyed yourself :) .

Annette@FitnessPerks November 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

Holy moly that all looks delicious!

My last meal would consist of a HUGE dessert. PRobably warm chocolate chip cookies with caramel ice cream.

Natalie @ Free Range Human November 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Congratulations! I’m not sure what my last meal would look like exactly, but it would definitely include ice cream!

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola November 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Omg a restaurant where the serve was knowledgeable about food allergies?? AMAZING! A lot of times the more popular/trendy restaurants are the worst with that kind of stuff because they feel it “ruins the integrity of the dish” (Blah) so it’s nice to hear this place wasn’t like that! Everything you had sounds amazing- especially those desserts! YUM!

Angela @ Beauty in Strength November 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Congrats on being an aunt again!
I agree, some sort of bread and butter or another baked good!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal November 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I really wanna check out the Girl and the Goat! A friend of mine used to be a hostess there and she said it’s a really neat place. Nice pics and review :) I had no idea they had 2 month wait for reservations though, wowie.

Sarah November 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Holy crap that sounds like a great meal.

Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 20, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Food is fantastic, but family is better… Congrats to your brother and sister in law! :D

Becky (have turtle will travel) November 20, 2012 at 5:21 pm

My last meal would be totally gratuitous and contain french fries and cheese pizza with real crust and lots of cheese. And rocky road ice cream. Screw you LI. I might would skip the pizza and just eat lots of ice cream and a few fries. Nondairy ice cream is not the same. I completely get you on the idea that sometimes you do what you want and deal with the consequences.

Katie @ Livehalffull November 20, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I love the Girl and the Goat! When I went I also had the chocolate dessert-it was so amazing!

And my last meal I actually have thought about before. I would have my Mom’s mushroom soup, sushi from my favorite sushi place and bumpy cake. It’s this amazing chocolate cake with buttercream filling that you can only get in Michigan. It’s so good!

Amber K November 21, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Oh man, I wish I could ignore my gluten problems for just one meal! Some things taste so worth it. Totally not worth the week I spend with my intestines absolutely pissed at me though. Ugh.

Verenique B November 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm

hope you have an wonderful thanksgiving!

Steph @321delish November 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I was just in Chicago before Thanksgiving and I went to the girl and the goat too! (I went on Sunday!) It was OUTSTANDING! I ate so. much. food! We had the brussels, the kohlarabi salad, the beets, the mushroom ragu and two of the pork entrees. SO. GOOD.