crockpot black bean soup

January 8, 2013

Yesterday when my alarm went off for the first third time, I kept telling myself “The hardest part is getting out of bed. The hardest part is getting out of bed.” Boy, I tell you – it was hard. I know people scoff at the fact that teachers get time off in the winter and the summers. I also know that no one really feels that bad for us when we have to go back to school. You know what I say to that? Poo poo to you! ;)

Low and behold, I finally got out of sweatpants this morning (for probably the first time in 17 days – how sad.. or awesome), I took a shower, and I even was able to curl my hair without burning myself in my half awake stupor. My clothes even (semi) matched this morning. Success over here!

One of my goals for this week is to get back into the groove of things without feeling stressed out. I’m starting another grad school class tonight, so I’m back in the swing of things – fast! One of the things that stresses me out the most during the week is what to make for dinner. If I don’t already have a plan for something to make on days where I have things to do after school, I always feel rushed and anxious about what in the world we’re going to eat at the end of the day. Weird? Maybe – but totally understandable. Since it’s cold outside and I haven’t made a batch of soup for a few weeks, I thought what better way to kick off this stress free work week than with a batch of crock pot soup?

I love using my crock pot, and I honestly don’t use it enough. I wanted to leave the house yesterday morning by 6:50 – I started this soup at 6:42 (very precise). I made it out of the door on time. I felt accomplished. When I got home around 6:00 last night, my house smelled ridiculously delicious, and I didn’t have to lift a hand for dinner. That’s my kind of night. Oh – pair it up with The Bachelor, and we’ve got the perfect day.

January 7, 2013 012

Make this and then invite me over for dinner. Mine is going to go way too fast!

********************************************************************************************************************

Just a few “housekeeping” items to let you know about….

1. If you attempted to sign up for PV.Body and then were not able to get the 20% off, that has now been fixed!!!! You can use my referral link to get that 20% off – remember, with the discount that’s $39.96 for a rockin’ new workout outfit! If you already signed up and did not get your 20% off, please email me or use the contact form to let me know. My contact at PV.Body will get that settled immediately!

2. Remember the Vigilant Eats oats I told you about last week? I have some great news! You all can use the coupon code chelsey10 for 10% off your order!

Simply Life January 8, 2013 at 6:10 am

wow- I am so impressed you made this so quickly! it looks great! I agree- having a plan ahead of time about what to eat with minimal cooking/prep time is key!

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:05 am

It’s a piece of cake – especially if you pre-chop the veggies the night before (I didn’t).

Nicole January 8, 2013 at 6:16 am

Looks delicious! I’ve made it this long without a crock pot so I’ve hesitated to get one, but I think it’s about time!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness January 8, 2013 at 6:36 am

YES! You know I love you and your soup recipes. This one is going on next week’s meal plan no doubt about it. Have a great 2nd day back!

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:05 am

:) Thanks lady!

Abby @ Change of Pace January 8, 2013 at 6:39 am

The recipe looks delicious! My sister is a teacher, and I didn’t feel bad for her either yesterday! The first day back to reality is always so tough though.

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:06 am

If I could, I would stick my tongue out at you. ;)

Abby @ Change of Pace January 9, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Ha- I’m sure my sister felt like doing worse!

kim@hungryhealthygirl January 8, 2013 at 6:48 am

This is my plan for next week…looks delish! And I’m totally with you on the sweatpants! ;)

Lauren January 8, 2013 at 6:59 am

I know what you mean, it was so nice to take a few days out of routine, so I can imagine how difficult it must have felt after a few weeks. But then, there is something about me that does enjoy that routine….although, next week, my life is about to get all turned around again. :) LoL I guess it keeps life exciting.

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:06 am

I do love the routine too. I love structure. Buuuuut it’s hard to get back into it.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 8, 2013 at 7:00 am

I know how you feel! I had to go back to class yesterday morning and it was hard to get out of the house so early, instead of being able to lounge around in my PJs for most of the morning. :P

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:06 am

Amen!

Michelle January 8, 2013 at 7:10 am

This looks yummy!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 8, 2013 at 7:15 am

This soup sounds so perfect, and the fact that it is a slow cooker recipe makes it 10 x better! I love my slow cooker, but have yet to use it in a little while. I think I need to get with it and use it to make this soup!

And you are right…pairing any delicious food with the deliciousness of Sean from the Bachelor is never a bad thing! ;)

Angela @ Health's Angel January 8, 2013 at 7:16 am

Thank you for all these yummy recipes! I just got a crock pot for Christmas and I have been scouring the internet and pinning crock pot recipes like crazy. This WILL be made soon! :)
I think I need to repeat that getting out of bed mantra to myself in the morning from now on. It just gets so much harder to wake up when it’s dark and cold out!

Linz @ Itz Linz January 8, 2013 at 7:24 am

Going back to work was rooooouggh!!!

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:07 am

Yessss another teacher! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 8, 2013 at 7:29 am

Looks like another good one! I can always count on you for delicious soup recipes. ;) I probably use my CrockPot at least once a week, especially during the winter months since it seems to magically produce a warm and comforting meal. I love it!

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:07 am

I know – magic!!!

Kate @ quartercenturysouthernliving.wordpress.com January 8, 2013 at 7:35 am

This soup looks amazing, especially for the winter months. Thanks for sharing!! :)

Sharla January 8, 2013 at 7:44 am

We would literally starve without the crock pot!! Think I need to add this soup to the rotation :)

Mackenzie January 8, 2013 at 8:33 am

This looks SO yummy and healthy. Do you know the nutrition facts though?

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:08 am

It’s roughly 250 calories per cup. :)

Shannon (Healthiful Balance) January 8, 2013 at 8:38 am

Yum! My whole family would love this. It would also make great leftovers!

Kaitlyn January 8, 2013 at 8:38 am

Ughhh it drives me bonkers when people tell me I have such an “eassssssssy” job b/c of the vaca time. It’s funny though, even with my summer and winter breaks, I still work more hours each year than most of my friends who aren’t teachers. ha! :)

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:08 am

I hear ya!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

I need to use my crockpot more, too. I love the nights when I use it. It makes dinner time and clean up so great. Your soup looks fantastic!

Beks January 8, 2013 at 9:02 am

Think you could do this with dried black beans? Or soak them over night, and put them in the crock pot in the morning (I’m still learning about using dried beans vs. canned. It’s definitely cheaper!).

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:09 am

Absolutely! I’d rinse them after soaking and maybe add a little more liquid just in case the beans absorb it. I need to get back into using dried beans!

christina January 8, 2013 at 9:10 am

Yum and yum. And probably more yum. Last night I made black bean beet burgers. Woah awesomeness. Have you read the book How To Train A Wild Elephant? Check it out sister. I bet you’ll love it. :)

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:09 am

No I haven’t!! I love book recommendations. Thanks!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 8, 2013 at 9:25 am

Haha I don’t feel bad for you at all. But I do feel bad your first day back was also your first day of grad school classes! Yuck!

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:10 am

Wellll… I sure won’t feel bad for you when you go back either!!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 8, 2013 at 9:49 am

I’m so afraid to leave my crockpot on all day like that! Is that what you do? Gah I need to fight my fear and try this, it’d be amazing to come home to a dinner fully cooked after a long day at work.

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:10 am

Yup! That’s what they’re made for! I’m totally not freaked out about it.

Carly @ Snack Therapy January 8, 2013 at 9:49 am

I’m loving this! I have school days where I’m on campus from 11am – 8:30pm! This is the perfect meal to whip up in the morning. I’m pinning this so I remember!

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:11 am

Woah long days!

Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

i feel like i need to get a crockpot! i’ve never used one before but i’ve been seeing so many posts and recipes! good luck w/your grad class :)

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:11 am

You do! It’ll change your life. I wish I were joking.

Ilyn @ Real Food, Feel Good January 8, 2013 at 10:01 am

That soup looks mighty delicious! I’m always paranoid about using crockpots though. Maybe I’ll try it on the stovetop instead ;) Thanks for sharing!!

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:11 am

Even if you’re home?

Ilyn @ Real Food, Feel Good January 9, 2013 at 11:04 am

Ah, well not so much when I’m at home! I was thinking when I’m out and about. Though, using it overnight seems a bit scary also haha.

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin January 8, 2013 at 10:02 am

I don’t own a crockpot, but I really should for recipes like this. I love a big bowl of soup for an easy dinner…and I have to admit I watched (and laughed my head off at) the Bachelor last night as well. Too entertaining and ridiculous.

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:12 am

Oh my gosh, it was ridiculous. I had a blast watching it. The Husband and I were commenting about everything. Hilarious.

Erin January 8, 2013 at 10:06 am

I’ve been reading your blog for awhile and haven’t commented yet but I love your recipes! I made your white bean spinach and artichoke chili last night for my family and it was great! I’ll definitely have to try this next :)

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:12 am

That’s one of my favorites! I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Ferdie January 8, 2013 at 11:02 am

Above recipe is great for sure, but what I find very helpful is to let the nature work a bit more. I drink puerh tea after every big meal, as I’ve found out it eliminates unwanted and leftover, hard-to-digest fats. My favourite is Pu-erh 1st Grade, or Pu-erh Mini Tuo Cha cakes. Give it go, it helped me and few other friends.

Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee January 8, 2013 at 11:28 am

I’ll definitely be trying this recipe. I’m all about soup lately! Thanks for sharing :)

Christine January 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I’ve been trying to use my crock pot more as well. Definitely going to be pinning this one.

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy January 8, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I wish I had this in my slow cooker now. I am loving beans and soup at the moment, so this is a perfect combination.

Emily @ Run the Healthy Road January 8, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I totally relate to you feeling stressed and anxious about dinner by the end of the day. By the time 3:00 runs around (if I don’t have a plan) I am silently wigging out! I am glad I am not alone in the lack-of-dinner-plan blues.

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:13 am

You are not alone! :)

Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I miss being able to spend the entire day in my PJ’s :( Adult clothes are overrated. But slow cookers aren’t, apparently. Can you believe I still don’t have my own? I should probably look into that, huh?

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:13 am

You definitely should!

Madison January 8, 2013 at 5:31 pm

That looks so good! I used my crock pot yesterday and love it the most because it makes such a big quantity= leftovers! :)

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:13 am

I agree! Although we’re such big soup people that it’s gone in like 2 days!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 8, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Mmmmm, sounds like a win! I love my slow cooker for soups.

Christine @ BookishlyB January 8, 2013 at 8:27 pm

As a teacher NOTHING irritates me more when people give me the “but you get so much time off” crap. This holiday break I pointed out to people that 1- we don’t get holiday bonuses 2- we get paid for the days we work; our salary is built on 175 work days a year, so I’d gladly work more if they want to pay me more and 3-our extra week off was because of unpaid furlough days. And then I “jokingly” say “suck it” and smile. Rant over. Your soup looks great.

cleaneatingchelsey January 9, 2013 at 6:14 am

hahahaha best comment ever!

Heather January 8, 2013 at 9:30 pm

bookmarked! looks delicious!!

Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes January 10, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Know what I tell people who complain about teachers getting time off? “You should have become a teacher!”

Katy January 14, 2013 at 11:58 am

I have a crockpot and I need to use it more often too! I’m definitely going to try this recipe. I love black beans!

Britnee R January 14, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I just made this soup today on this FREEZING Monday. It definitely hit the spot :) thanks Chelsey!!

cleaneatingchelsey January 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm

You’re definitely welcome. I’m glad you enjoyed it!