a hot mess

March 13, 2013

I’m just going to call today “I’m a hot mess, but my husband rocks and picks up my missing pieces”. Seriously, I could really stop there because that’s my life in a nutshell. We should start at the beginning though.

In the middle of the night, I woke up and couldn’t fall back asleep. A lot of times if this happens, I need a change of scenery. (Seriously.) So I picked myself up (and my phone) to snooze on the couch for the last couple of hours until I had to get up. Apparently, when my phone is more than 3 inches away from my face, I sleep through about a gazillion alarms. I woke up after 6 (I get up at 5:00), and I frantically got my butt to the shower.

After getting out of the shower, I realized I still had to make food for our staff Pinterest Potluck Luncheon that was today.

Crap.

Put on water for pasta.

Go back to bathroom to dry my hair.

Hair dryer doesn’t work.

AAAAHHHH.

At this point I just had to say “screw it” and threw some gel into my hair and hoped my natural waves would pull through (they did).

Bring make up into the kitchen with me.

Make pasta salad while applying mascara. (quite a feat)

Microwave a quick cup of Hot Oats (LIFE SAVER THIS MORNING) and prayed I could make it out of the house before 7:00.

Breakfast – ihavenoideawhattimeitwas

March 13, 2013 004
Seriously, so glad I got another shipment of these bad boys last week. They absolutely saved my morning.

I even made it to work on time!

9:30 AM

March 13, 2013 018
While my kids had Spanish, I snacked on some trail mix. However, don’t be fooled. I certainly wasn’t snacking on the nuts. Do you notice the raisins and chocolate missing from the bag? Yeah, I definitely picked everything out of there.

Lunch – 11:30 AM

Lunch was all kinds of delicious. Like I said, we had a Pinterest Potluck Luncheon (best idea ever). Everyone brought all sorts of delicious recipes. I have a thing against taking pictures of my food in front of my co-workers, but I can assure you I ate well. I brought Jenna’s Greek Chickpea Pasta Salad, and it was such a hit (and so easy to make!). I also ate a delicious salad with avocado and cranberries with a poppy seed dressing as well as an oriental coleslaw. I was full for a very long time!

Snack – 3:45 PM

March 13, 2013 019
By the time I left school, I really wasn’t hungry but knew I should eat a little something. I had half an apple in my lunch box, so I snacked on that on my way home.

Here’s where my wonderful husband comes into play. Remember that hair dryer? He fixed it.

Remember that pasta salad I made this morning? Wellll, I may have left the kitchen in disarray. It was cleaned when I got home.

AND, he was scrubbing the shower when I walked through the door. I think I’m going to keep him.

Since John was busy keeping our home intact, I thought it might be a good idea for Charlie and I to get a nice walk in.

March 13, 2013 021

Guess what came yesterday!!!! I’m in love with my Ellie stuff. I can’t even explain it. I have the Catch Me If You Can long sleeved shirt as well as the My New Obsession Leggings (obsessed!!). The folks over at Ellie also felt horrible that my shipment got mixed up, so they also sent me a pair of Kiss Me Capris. I can’t even explain how amazing this gear is. The shirt is long and soft (so soft!). The leggings are warm, the fabric is flattering, and the fit is perfect. Also, I can’t even begin to tell you about how amazing the waist is. They’re just, literally, part of the pants. There is no weird cutting off at the waist or muffin top going on. I am in love. In fact, I refuse to take off my shirt.

Dinner – 5:30 PM

March 13, 2013 022
If variety is the spice of life, I’m failing. I ate the rest of Jenna’s pasta salad that I brought home from school today. It was just too delicious to pass up, and I thought I was going to die from hunger when I got home from my walk.

There is obviously more food in store for me tonight – I’m thinking some greek yogurt, strawberries, and chocolate love on top for a snack.

Until then, we are watching Harry Potter and enjoying the both of us actually being home tonight. We have a problem with watching Harry Potter every time it is on TV.

And I also apologize for this being the longest post in the history of the world. If you made it to the end, you deserve a medal. This is obviously what happens when I leave you for a few days!

Cori @ olivetorun March 13, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Whenever I’m a hot mess my husband picks up my pieces too… I feel ya. I am SO thankful for him every day as I’m sure you are too! :D

Natalie @ will jog for food March 13, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I have that Ellie shirt too, LOVE it! I think it’s the most comfy shirt I own now.

Linz @ Itz Linz March 13, 2013 at 6:38 pm

What a morning!! Glad & impressed you made it to school on time! Staff luncheons are so fun and no love the idea of the Pinterest theme!’

Linz @ Itz Linz March 13, 2013 at 6:39 pm

That was supposed to say “I love” not “no love” oy maybe I’m a hot mess now??

cleaneatingchelsey March 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm

It happens.

Sarah March 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Loved this post. I am impressed by your morning, well done. Lately, I feel like the clock has been playing tricks on me, I think I am on time, and then I blink and suddenly I am running late. I’ve got to try out Ellie!

Amber K March 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm

What a great hubby! I love it when mine is super thoughtful like that. :)

kim@hungryhealthygirl March 13, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Your hubby is definitely a keeper! We’ve had a pinterst potluck at my school too. And I totally feel you on taking pics of my food in front of coworkers.

Alisa Rhinehart March 13, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Girl…. I’m a hot mess about everyday of my life! LOL!!! My wonderful husband cleans out the sink of dirty dishes (from the night before) everyday before I get home from work! SO thankful for him too! :) Pasta salad looks great!

Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength March 13, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Okay..I’m starting to want this Ellie stuff now. Everyone seems to love it!!!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 13, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Definitely a keeper! Does he give lessons? ;-)

Ashley @ Life and Fitness March 13, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Hahaha I love sam’s comment. That is one good husband!!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 13, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I’m starting to think that I definitely need to get myself a man that can clean up my hot messiness. Are they a common breed or do they come in short supply?

christina March 13, 2013 at 8:26 pm

omgggg i have the same ellie top and i am sooo in love with it. i just blogged about this too. like i don’t ever want to take it off!!! i got different pants than you but i love mine as well!

Nelly March 13, 2013 at 8:26 pm

This was totally my day today…and on top of it my 9 month old ALMOST ate the dog food, but I caught her just in time :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 13, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Where’s my medal?

Allison March 13, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Glad everything turned out okay in the end and that you had your husband there to help :) I also watch Harry Potter every single time it is on TV…I can’t help it.

Eating 4 Balance March 13, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Now you make me want to join up with Ellie, even though I’m not one to work out. Lol. That shirt looks so soft!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness March 13, 2013 at 8:37 pm

All the rave reviews of the new Ellie line make me want to try it. And, whew, what a morning! That would have sent me into a tailspin. Thank goodness for Love Grown. PS – you picked the best flavor.

Lauren @ Fun, fit and Fabulous! March 13, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I love the blue color of your shirt and the thumb holes are my favorite!!

Carly @ Snack Therapy March 13, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I call days like that “Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Days.” (Alexander style!)

On a brighter note, that pasta looks fantastic!

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite March 13, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Boooo to those type of days! Pretty sure your hubby is a saint.

Lauren March 13, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Oh goodness girl, you’ve had quite the day, but glad it’s ending on a low key note. :) Miss you!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 13, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Wow, that sounds like one heck of a day! I bet you are glad that Wednesday is almost over! ;)

That pasta salad looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing the link :) .

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 13, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Haha I love you. This totally is my life. Thank goodness for awesome husbands that keep us intact, right?!

Emma March 14, 2013 at 3:57 am

That pasta looks gorgeous! And seriously great husband award.

Emily March 14, 2013 at 8:45 am

You poor thing, I HATE days like that! Sets the tone for the whole day. I hope today is going better for you! :)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 14, 2013 at 9:14 am

Totally had a morning like that more than once! It always feels awful at the time, but it’s great that it all worked out and you honestly probably got a nice laugh out of it. I always watch HP whenever it’s on TV too. Even though I own all the DVD’s. It’s somehow more special when it’s on TV…

Annette@FitnessPerks March 14, 2013 at 11:13 am

I am impressed you got there on time!! I am always late…..to anywhere.

When I am a hot mess, my man picks up after me too. Keeping him! ;)

Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 14, 2013 at 11:26 am

Awww, what a harried day! I’m glad it ended well! I also have a personal rule about always watching Harry Potter when it’s on TV ;)

Angie @ Pint of Goals March 14, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I added Jenna’s recipe to my “to make after pregnancy” list (trying to avoid soft cheeses…boo). It looks delicious and will be a great summer lunch or dinner for me! Love the color of your new top, and I adore thumb holes.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 14, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Wow, your hubby definitely earned some brownie points! ;) Good for him!

colleen March 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Ughhhh. What a day! I can’t believe you still managed to get breakfast and lunch prepared in the morning. That Pinterest party is a good idea!

Clara March 15, 2013 at 5:41 am

What a day!!! I’m glad you got to work on time (and with food!) I think I would have cried if I realised I had to cook in the morning before work after I overslept! :D

Rachel @ Clean Lean College March 28, 2013 at 11:16 am

Loving Ellie! Just discovered the website and I’m obsessed!
And I way overslept the other day and was so thrown off all day.