12 fresh and mouthwatering summer recipes

June 30, 2014

The following post is sponsored by Foodie.com – all opinions are my own.

Check out Summer Straight from the Garden

by Chelsey at Foodie.com

For the past three summers, I have had a vegetable garden growing in my own backyard. I loved the whole process (minus the weeding).

Planting the seedlings.

Watching the plants grow.

Seeing “baby” vegetables emerge.

Picking that first ripe tomato off the vine.

Being amazed at the huge zucchini that you swear grew overnight.

Feeling satisfaction from cooking that first meal with picked vegetables.

Needless to say, it’s the best! This summer I decided not to grow a garden, and I have to say – I miss it. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to keep up with it because of the girls, but I am already looking forward to next summer’s garden.

Above you’ll find a slideshow of 12 different recipes that can be made with ingredients straight from your vegetable garden (or farmer’s market…. or grocery store… you can make them regardless of where you get your ingredients!). I am so looking forward to trying all of them out. Enjoy!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl June 30, 2014 at 6:57 am

I love having a garden too! Unfortunately, we only have tomatoes and jalapenos, but we’re drowning in tomatoes. I’m also on the lookout for any recipes that include tomatoes, so I’ll be checking out this your foodie collection. ;)

Maryea {happy healthy mama} June 30, 2014 at 6:58 am

I still have not had the courage to start a garden. Someday! I have a few plants growing in containers, and even that’s intimidating to me. Off to check out your summer recipes!

Katrina-Marie June 30, 2014 at 8:42 am

I love our garden! It’s so nice to go out in the yard and pick lunch :) (And know exactly how they’re grown!) Thanks for the recipes, I’ll have to check ‘em out :)

PS. Is it too late for you to plant certain things? Tomatoes and the like grow quickly.. herbs? They’re relatively low maintenance… (read: they have survived my neglect!) ;)

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat June 30, 2014 at 10:32 am

I love keeping a garden. We did so the past two summers. But, knowing I’d be third-trimester pregnant all summer, and that we have tons of projects to get done before baby arrives, we opted to forego our own and go in on a CSA share. I can’t wait to be back at it again next year. There’s nothing better than picking something you grew and whipping it into a delicious meal on the same day :)

Shea June 30, 2014 at 10:45 am

I’m loving gardening in our new house (more space). Have you looked at Square Foot Gardening? It’s really easy and cuts down the weeding a LOT! We’re just trying it this year for the first time, so we’re about half conventional and half SF, but the SFG has a higher yield for a given area and a lot less weeding– no mulch required :-)

By the way- I don’t comment often, but I’m enjoying all your baby posts. Your little girls are adorable! I had my little guy a couple of months after you did, so can relate to the new parent thing!

Chelsey June 30, 2014 at 11:26 am

Hello fellow Chelsey (w/ a Y!),
Love this post & your blog!
I’m so jealous of my dad’s garden, so every time I go home I “borrow” some kale, tomatoes, & spinach…it’s so much sweeter than anything else you can buy! :)

Casey @ Casey the College Celiac June 30, 2014 at 11:48 pm

All of these look delicious! I’m on a big quinoa kick right now, so I’ll definitely be trying out the salad! :)

Jenn July 2, 2014 at 6:46 am

Yayyyy your HTML worked! And samesies with the garden, I miss mine so much and cannot wait to start one up next year… Oh crap… Year after! Once we move :)

Ranya July 6, 2014 at 5:54 pm

You are so right, as I was reading your description of the tomato growing I could totally picture biting into that sweet ripe tomato, there is nothing better! Yum!
And OMG sweet potato nachos? Those sound absolutely delightful! Thanks so much for the suggestion, I can’t wait to try them!