1 potato, 2 potato, 3 potato, 4.

September 20, 2010

If you can believe it, I was in bed at 9:00 last night. I’m not sure the last time that happened, but it felt good. And, in reality, the last time that happened was probably a couple days ago. However, I digress.

Somehow, though, getting up at 4:30 is still quite the challenge on a Monday morning. I actually did enjoy my run this morning. I think while I was training for the last half I felt like I “had” to run, and wasn’t running because I “wanted to”. The run may have been enjoyed because I knew I had a bowl of pumpkin overnight oats waiting for me in the fridge.

I made this one a little bit differently. I didn’t mix in the pumpkin until this morning. I liked it more because it was more fibrous than when I mix it in at night. Whatever the case may have been, it was delicious.

September 20, 2010 003

I won’t lie to you, this morning I almost willingly got into about 15 accidents. People just really did not know how to drive today. It was so frustrating, especially when I just wanted to curl up in my bed and sleep.

I also did an especially horrible job at photographing my morning snack today. I had a meeting with my principal during my plan time, and I’m pretty sure he would have found reason to think I am a little odd for photographing my snack.

Lunch was not filling. Although this Tupperware container really is the size of my head, salad without protein is horrible sometimes. Today was one of those days for sure.

September 20, 2010 004

I also had a large container of fruit salad (this cantaloupe rocked) and an unpictured apple.

September 20, 2010 005

Needless to say, I spent the afternoon with horrible hunger pangs. The second school got out, I made a mad dash to the teacher’s lounge for my enormous bag of almonds. I may or may not have eaten about 100 of them.

I had one thing on my mind when I got home: potatoes.

But not any kind of potato, potato pancakes. Sweet potato pancakes to be exact. Okay, I’m still not being specific enough: Ashley’s Sweet Tater Apple Pancakes.

Yes, apple and sweet potato. I thought, how could it go wrong? Those are two of my favorite fall flavors — surely they would work together nicely.

September 20, 2010 007

I went through a lot of pain to make these babies. My hand was seriously about to fall off due to the grating. Was it worth it?

September 20, 2010 006

You have no idea.

September 20, 2010 013

These were absolutely divine. They were sweet and the absolute essence of fall flavors. Thanks, Ashley!

I paired my sweet potatoes with some sauteed veggies and tomato slices.

Don’t be deceived either — I had ummmm…. 12 of these? Yeah, I know. But, you would have too!

September 20, 2010 014

I also made some regular potato pancakes for the husband (and me — yes, I ate these too).

Green Onion Potato Pancakes

• 1 large baking potato
  • 1/4 cup flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free)
  • 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp warm h2o)
  • 1 green onion stalk, chopped
  • garlic, pepper, and salt to taste
  1. Grate your potato until your arm feel like it’s a bowl of jelly.
  2. Place potato between paper towels to sop up some of the moisture
  3. Chop green onion and add to the grated potato in a large bowl
  4. Add your flour and mix until well incorporated
  5. Add your flax egg and spices and mix thoroughly.
  6. Heat a skillet with 2-3 tbsp olive oil to medium-high heat.
  7. Make 1/4 cup sized balls of the mixture and place in the skillet. Smash with a spatula.
  8. Cook on one side about 3-4 minutes, flip, and cook until browned on the other side.

September 20, 2010 008

These were to die for. The green onion really made the dish.

September 20, 2010 015

The husband asked me which ones I liked better, and I really couldn’t pick. They were so different with totally opposite flavors. I liked them both.

Originally after dinner I wanted to make pumpkin muffins after seeing Amy’s and Gracie’s today.. until I realized I am almost out of my GF all purpose flour. This could easily be remedied by making the 2 minute trip to the grocery store, but remember how I have been up since 4:30? Yeah, I’m tired… it’s so not happening tonight!

In other news, I updated my recipes page. What could have taken me about 2 minutes after each new recipe was created, it took me about an hour to update the page last night. I have learned my lesson the hard way. No more not updating that page. So, if you don’t see Green Onion Potato Pancakes on there in about five minutes, someone please slap me.

I’m also getting excited because there is a blogger meet up tomorrow night in Chicago for dinner! I kind of feel like I’m going on a blind date with about 10 girls. The husband told me “not to get kidnapped”. So, if any of you were planning on kidnapping me, please don’t. The husband won’t approve.

Question: What two fall flavors do you think would pair nicely? What would you make with those flavors? OR Have you ever gone on a meet up? Did you feel like you were going on a blind date?

Amy @ Second City Randomness September 20, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Yeah- totally felt like a blind date. But after 10 minutes, it’ll be like one of the best blind dates you’ve ever been on! ha ha- the conversation doesn’t stop!

I hope you girls have fun tomorrow! Sorry I can’t be there…

Jess @ MTL Veggie September 20, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I went on a blogger meet-up last month and we had a blast! I wasn’t that nervous as I was only meeting up with one other blogger, so I was really just excited to meet her. Have fun :)

healthyexposures September 20, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I love going to bed early and waking up feeling all rejuvenated. Of course…not sure if you felt so rejuvenated at 4:30 am, but it’s better than having gone to bed at midnight! :P
Those sweet potato pancakes look SO good!! Will need to remember it :) I love fall combos like pumpkin & cranberry, apple & cranberry, apples & cinnamon…oh, the list goes on and on!

Lisa September 20, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Hi girl! I just discovered your blog. I am in a big beleiver in clean eating as well and like you I have a lot of food allergies (for me its wheat, dairy, and soy). I am really looking foward to reading! I love your approach and philosophy! All those foods look delicious especially the sweet potato pancakes =)

cleaneatingchelsey September 21, 2010 at 5:53 am

Welcome! I’m glad we have the same philosophy!

My mom has wheat and soy as well! Guess it runsin the family over here!

I can’t take credit for the sweet poatot pancakes – it was all ashley!

kbwood September 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm

soooo jealous of your BLOGGIE MEET UP girlfrand! dangg!!!
i wana meet youuuu!
those tater pancakes look SO good! love you!

cleaneatingchelsey September 21, 2010 at 5:53 am

haha I know right? Doesn’t it kind of stink to have buddies all across the country and not being able to hang out?

allieatfood September 20, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I went to bed at 8:30 last night!! So don’t feel bad about it. It feels so good to get a good nights rest. And those potato pancakes look amazing. I definitely will be trying those. I wish you could send some to me in the mail!!

highonhealthy September 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I’ve only went on one meetup and it was this summer.. so awesome! Definitely felt a bit nervous but once you meet the other person it’s totally fine and like you’ve been friends forever. At least that’s how it seemed to me. And everyone thought I was going to get kidnapped too.. in fact, because I stayed 2 hours longer than I thought I would, when I checked my phone I had tons of texts and angry/worried voicemails. Oops.

Jen September 21, 2010 at 6:21 am

Yummm!!!! I’m not a fan of sweet potatoes, but I can’t wait to try the regular potato pancakes!

Jen

teenagehealthfreak September 21, 2010 at 6:49 am

sry for your hunger pangs…happens to me all the time at school…sometimes i just wish i could have a fridge in my locker..life would be easier!!! lol…
those potato things look awesome. i love sweet potatoes..and i like cranberries in fall too!!!!

cleaneatingchelsey September 21, 2010 at 7:47 am

ooo cranberries would be PERFECT in these! Cranapple sweet potato pancakes? Next on my list! You’re a genius!

Megan September 21, 2010 at 8:05 am

I loove going to bed early! Hahaha I’m like the old lady of my friend group. Those pancakes look delish! And to answer your question- I want to study abroad at the U of Sydney in Australia =D

cleaneatingchelsey September 21, 2010 at 8:46 am

That would be awesome! I would totally visit you… if the plane ticket didn’t coast 5K

Lauren September 21, 2010 at 9:39 am

The SAME thing happened to me with the lunch salad. Not filling = me stuffing my face later. I really want to try Ashley’s recipe! Have fun at the meet up :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) September 21, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Sorry I won’t be able to make it to dinner tonight! Eat an extra piece of roti for me! :) Hopefully I’ll catch you next time- after the success that brunch was I’m sure there will be more of these meet-ups to come.

cleaneatingchelsey September 22, 2010 at 7:31 am

I definitely ate enough for both of us! We missed you!

Ashley September 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Aww, I’m so so glad you liked them! They look perfect. And I totally know what you mean about your arm falling off. I think I was swimming before I made them and seriously had a hard time with it. :)