incessant english muffins

December 28, 2010

December 28, 2010 094

One personality trait that I have is how incessant I am. I’m still trying to figure out if this is a gain or a flaw on my part. At times it can be both I suppose.

Take for instance, my mom and me. We get these crazy ideas in our heads sometimes, and no matter what we are doing, we must stop to put the idea to life. I distinctly remember a time where we were cleaning/decorating for Christmas, and we decided that a certain item of decor would look great on the mantle. Instead of finishing up and going shopping for it later, we needed it NOW. We dropped everything, house in disarray, to go and find the decoration. Did we find it? Yes. Could we have waited? Absolutely.

December 28, 2010 081

Which is why when this morning I saw Jess had made homemade English muffins, I had to make some. Not later today, not a week down the road — I needed to make them NOW! I blame this on my mother.

Imagine my frustration when I saw one must use English muffin tin rings to make English muffins. Who on earth has English muffin rings? Not me! Bound and determined, I went to 4 stores in 1 hour trying to find said rings. I came home empty handed.

I was really bummed, but still feeling incessant. I had to figure out a way to substitute for the rings — muffin tin? No.  Small glass Pyrex containers? Ehhh…

What happened next made me upset — really upset. I Googled “English muffin rings” only to find one could use foil in place of the muffin ring.

Seriously? Incessant mixed with a little impatience — nothing like it.

I started by tearing off a foot of foil.

December 28, 2010 050

Cut it in half (hot dog style)…

December 28, 2010 051

Folded it in half (hot dog style)….

December 28, 2010 052

Folded it in half again…

December 28, 2010 053

Then, I formed the foil into little rings, making sure to tuck the ends under each other so they wouldn’t fall apart.

December 28, 2010 056

Incessant English Muffins (adapted from Hey, That Tastes Good!)

• 1.5 cups gluten free flour mix (Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. xanthan gum
  • 1 T active yeast
  • 1 T turbinado sugar
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 1/4 cups plus 1 T hot water (about 110 degrees Fahrenheit)

Directions: Place all dry ingredients (including yeast) into a large mixing bowl. Mix until all ingredients are friends.

December 28, 2010 057 December 28, 2010 062

Add your hot water and olive oil and mix, mix, mix. I used a whisk for this — it’s more of a “batter” than a dough. This is GOOD!

December 28, 2010 065

Grease a baking sheet and line with 6 foil rings. Grease the rings as well with cooking spray.

Pour 1/4 cup batter into each muffin ring, smoothing the top of each one.

December 28, 2010 068

Place your baking sheet in a warm area (I used my UNheated oven) for 30 minutes. The dough should double in size.

December 28, 2010 069

After dough has risen, take the cookie sheet out of the oven and preheat is to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake English muffins for 15 minutes.

December 28, 2010 071

After English muffins have cooled for a few minutes, carefully peel away the foil from each individual muffin. Feel free to lick the pieces of foil for crumbs.

December 28, 2010 074

Fork the English muffin open an “oooh” and “aaah” at the nooks and crannies — or as the Husband likes to call them: the honeycombs.

December 28, 2010 080

Right at this moment, I’m feeling pretty good about being an incessant person.

December 28, 2010 087

Because when I popped one of these in my mouth, I actually had to think to myself: “Holy cow, I actually made these?”

December 28, 2010 093
I must say I patted myself in the back a couple of times today — for both food and photo purposes.

December 28, 2010 096

Incessant, impatient, and egocentric — wow. I’m not making myself look too good here.

If only I could get those characteristics to make the Husband make the bed in the morning…

Question: What is one personality trait you’re proud or not too proud of?

Amy @ Second City Randomness December 28, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Victory is yours! lol

I’m stubborn. There was no way I’d be anything but- it comes from my mom and my dad.

This is a gift and a curse.

cleaneatingchelsey December 28, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I am so stubborn – the husband hates it!!

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com December 28, 2010 at 5:38 pm

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!! Those look amazing, I need to make those. I am loving your new camera:) I am not too proud about my personality trait of always being late…I didn’t used to be but now I can never be on time!

cleaneatingchelsey December 28, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Oh no!!! I’m not sure if we can be friends anymore – just joking! I’m always early , and the Husband is always late. So together we’re on time!

Babygirl December 28, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I love this recipe.. This looks simply good. Have you tried English Muffin pizza? It’s good as well.

cleaneatingchelsey December 28, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I love English muffin pizza! It’s so good!

Gina December 28, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Congrats on your beautiful english muffins!

I have a fear of making bread from scratch for some reason. I always feel like it won’t set up right or something. But these are inspirational ;)

cleaneatingchelsey December 28, 2010 at 9:41 pm

It’s super easy – and you really can’t screw this one up. You don’t even have to proof the yeast!

Cara Craves... December 28, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Oh my goodness they look perfect!
I am super impressed!
You incessantness (is that a word?) paid off

Leah @ Why Deprive? December 28, 2010 at 5:54 pm

AAAHHH!! I’ve wanted english muffins for SO long but I cant find any at the grocery store without super shady ingredients!! Obviously I have to make them.

Can I mention how much I love your “hot dog style” references? My favorite teacher from elementary school always used to say that, and “hamburger style” when giving folding instructions. :)

cleaneatingchelsey December 28, 2010 at 9:42 pm

You know you’re an elementary school teacher when….

Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 28, 2010 at 6:11 pm

You are so funny! How clever are those little rings? Great job!

Lauren December 28, 2010 at 6:28 pm

My husband is the exact same way, I just never knew what to call it until now. Once he gets an idea or task in his mind, he will drop EVERYTHING to do it just that moment. There is one story about this that actually ended our marriage due to his incessant need to move the fridge while I was cooking dinner. Let’s just say a HUGE gash in my brand new kitchen floor didn’t bode so well with a new wife. LoL, but it seems like you incessant aims are much more successful. These muffins look like little pillows of heaven!

cleaneatingchelsey December 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Thanks!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 28, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I totally want to make these!!
vegan + gf! die and go to heaven!

i grew up on eng muffins but never thought id ever have one again…you have given me hope :)

way to be incessant. I call it persistent. that’s what i am…almost to a fault!

healthyexposures December 28, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Ican be the SAME way with some things – especially baking! I have a million and one bookmarked recipes, but nothing will strike my fancy until all of a sudden, I see something on a blog and everything is put on pause so I can go and make whatever it is I saw :P
Your english muffins look beautiful – I’m glad I could be of some inspiration :P And your photos? Looking good!!

cleaneatingchelsey December 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

A photo compliment from you is possibly the best thing you could have ever given me Jess!

cookinginnh December 28, 2010 at 6:43 pm

English muffin rings?! Haha…well it looks like they came out perfect without them! Yum!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 28, 2010 at 6:48 pm

These look BEYOND amazing..I’m going to have to make them soon!! Slash I just ate dinner and now I’m craving english muffins.

I have the same “flaw” as you – when I get an idea in my head, I drop everything right then and there and HAVE to do it! I view it as more a good thing than a bad thing. I like to say I’m a “go getter” ;)

Katy @ A Healthy Shot December 28, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Those look great! I’ll have to try out your recipe sometime. And the pictures are awesome also :)

I’m the same way… as soon as I get an idea in my head, it has to happen NOW! I get it from my dad, though.

Kelly December 28, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Awesome…those look amazing!!

TheSceneFromMe December 28, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Wow, those look delicious and like something I need right now to warm my soul!
I am extremely non-diagnosed OCD. Clean, clean, clean, I feel like that’s all I do. Good and bad trait that I have :)

peacebeme December 28, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Wow those look so good. I really really need to work on my gluten free baking. I had forgotten you were gf too so I need use some of your recipes!

lindsay December 28, 2010 at 8:38 pm

OH MY GOSH!! I am so excited to make these. I have missed english muffins so much! Your brilliant, and I am so glad you are incessant!! :)

christina December 28, 2010 at 8:56 pm

what a great idea w/ the tin foil! i get like you too, where once i have an idea in my head, i HAVE to do it.

Muncher Cruncher December 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Oh my gooooodness. I am going to have to give those a try. They look so good! I absolutely love your blog, girl. Keep the good stuff coming! :)

Ashley@thefitacademic December 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Wow – these look amazing! I cannot believe how perfect they look! When I make stuff myself it NEVER looks this perfect!

missymiller December 28, 2010 at 10:06 pm

mmmm…delicious!
Think of it this way..did you happen to pick up or spot any new things on your “hunt?”

Lord knows one trip to Bed Bath and Beyond and I am fully aware that I am lacking so many culinary devices.

I want a mandolin slicer so bad. Anyways…shopping is fun, its your vacay, enjoy it! Imagine if you HAD to find an english muffin tin after work..much less enjoyable. (Because if you are that incessant you would have HAD to have gone there….)

Missy

cleaneatingchelsey December 28, 2010 at 10:17 pm

This is SO true. I got toilet paper on my trip. Does that count?

Melissa December 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm

These look amazing. My bread baking goes as far as quick breads, however I picked up active yeast on a whim the other day and it looks like it will be coming in handy!

cleaneatingchelsey December 29, 2010 at 7:31 am

Super easy – don’t be afraid of it!

Allie December 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Umm can I be embarrassed for a bit that I never heard of the word incessant before? Moving on! Great job on the english muffins, they look fantastic. Even have the nooks and crannies! Mmmm.

cleaneatingchelsey December 29, 2010 at 7:32 am

I’m sure you have – Mariah Carey, Always Be My Baby circa 1994?

Michelle December 28, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I attempted to make English muffins once before, but they were a big flop! These look amazing!!

Ameena December 28, 2010 at 10:49 pm

These muffins definitely look worth the effort! I would totally do something similar. But I have to say that my bed is made every morning, 5 minutes after I wake up!

cleaneatingchelsey December 29, 2010 at 7:32 am

Mine would be too, but I’m never the first one out of it!

And the muffins weren’t much of an effort to tell you the truth!

Katie December 28, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I am scared of gf and yeast baking. But, this looks so easy. You’ve been bookmarked.

cleaneatingchelsey December 29, 2010 at 7:33 am

so. not. hard.

Usually GF baking needs either more liquid or more flour – those two contradict each other so much, and I’m not quite sure how it’s one or the other!

fashionfitnessfoodie December 28, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Second post i’ve read today about homemade english muffins…That means I need to try to make some asap!

kristy @ ksayerphotography December 28, 2010 at 11:29 pm

These look delicious! Baking them in the oven would be so much simpler than doing them in the frypan because you can bake them all at once!

cleaneatingchelsey December 29, 2010 at 7:33 am

I didn’t know english muffins were usually done in the fry pan!

lauravirginia December 29, 2010 at 12:33 am

Oh seriously – this is genius! I am so making these when I get home this weekend! One of my characteristics that I’m not too fond of is that I have THE HARDEST time getting out of bed in the mornings. No matter how hard I try, I always hate waking up! I set like 3 alarms and still sleep through them… sheesh!

cleaneatingchelsey December 29, 2010 at 7:34 am

I’m the exact opposite! Once I wake up, I basically jolt out of bed!

movesnmunchies December 29, 2010 at 3:03 am

these look so good! and they don’t seem too difficult for my kitchen abilities! — iam VERY incessant too.. VERY!

snackgirlgoeshealthy December 29, 2010 at 3:38 am

dang chicha! Those look good! I saw those on Jess’s blog too and really want to make them! Thanks for the extra-extra kick of motivation!
I’d have to say my worst trait is how easily annoyed I am, especially, most speciaifically my mom and people who dont know when to stop. ya know?
I mean i get along with everyone fine i sometimes want to strangle them ;) all in a good way though! Loving and kind way!
and i totally just noticeed those were GF too! SCORE! I love you!
Celiac twins!! lol
did they taste good? I mean with bob red mill and everything?

cleaneatingchelsey December 29, 2010 at 7:35 am

They tasted amazing – I couldn’t believe I did it!

I am easily annoyed too, more likely with people I’m close to!

Simply Life December 29, 2010 at 6:32 am

wow! those look amazing! nice work!

Pixie December 29, 2010 at 7:39 am

I am the same way. My better half is always like why would you go from store to store instead of calling ahead to find the store that has the item you want. This is not something you should say after I have been to several stores in three states (I live in DC) in two hours only to come home empty handed. I’m glad you figured out you could use something you had on hand. The bright side is at least you had tin foil.

cleaneatingchelsey December 29, 2010 at 9:13 am

My Husband is the same way – I would rather go out searching than sit on the phone for some reason. It feels like more of an adventure!

Lauren @ Coachlauren.net December 29, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I happen to share this trait with you…once you get an idea in my head…it’s all I think about until I do whatever it is! I am also very stubborn which can be a good or bad quality depending on the situation, however, most of the time it’s bad…

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Oh my God these look amazing. So soft and pillowy and warm and carby and just YUM.

Bad trait? I get really, really, really uptight when I’m stressed. Like, REALLY uptight. It’s not pretty.

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel December 29, 2010 at 2:15 pm

im sending you the biggest hug i can over this computer. why? cuz ive been looking for recipes and through all my recipe books to find how to make english muffins. plus i need to find versions that are gluten free so i can enjoy them now… cant find any at the stores around here. you’re the best, bookmarked this and will print it off tonight. woohoo!! <3

cleaneatingchelsey December 29, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Yessss! I’m glad you can enjoy them since you’re now going GF again!

Lauren December 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm

If being incessant means I get to steal English muffin recipes from you then, please, be incessant. These look fabulous. I’ve been meaning to make my own but the fact that I have an entire package of them in my fridge, waiting to be eaten tells me I should hold off till those are gone.

I am SO stubborn and particular and sensitive. Such a curse ha ha.

cleaneatingchelsey December 29, 2010 at 6:59 pm

:) hilarious – I am all of your personality traits.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather December 29, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Way to take charge of those English muffins! I gotta say, i’m real impressed too. They look awesome.

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 29, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Mmmmm looks great!!!

I am a lot like you! I will drop everything I am doing to go and get something! Otherwise, I will probably never go and get it.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 29, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Ooh yum these look good! I’m so impressed with your bread-making skills!

I think I have the exact opposite personality trait – I bookmark a zillion recipes that I want to make, but I take months before I actually make them! :P

Jana Brown December 30, 2010 at 8:03 pm

The other thing you can use for rings is empty cans the size of tuna cans, waterchestnuts, any can that is fairly short and about 3 inches across. I popped the top and bottom out of a set and keep them as my English Muffin squad of tins. Cheap and reuses something I was using anyway.

~JB

kissmybroccoli December 31, 2010 at 11:08 am

Oh wow! I have to make these! I love how you told how to fold the foil “hot dog style,” too cute! Definitely know you’re a school teacher!

Nicole February 3, 2011 at 11:59 am

Looks yummy. Do you think brown rice flour would work? I just went GF and only have brown rice flour.

Kasey May 26, 2011 at 7:38 pm

have you tried using other types of flours for this recipe? I try to stay lower carb and higher fiber so I use a lot of coconut flour! Just wondering if it would work the same? Also, love your website!!!

cleaneatingchelsey May 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I’ve never cooked with coconut flour before, but I’ve been wanting to! I’ll have to try it with coconut flour and see how it works!

Megan March 18, 2012 at 7:11 am

I’m so glad I found this! I live in Brazil right now and another expat gave me a box of King Arthur english muffin mix. I was so excited, then discovered I needed those rings! I haven’t made them yet because of that! Now, I know I can use foil! Thanks!

Louise March 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Ok, so, I just found this post and my mind was blown over the idea to use foil in place of those stupid english muffin rings! Whoever initially thought of that was a genius, and I’m so happy you figured it out too. I love having homemade english muffins, and I’ve made them a few times, but in the past I’ve used empty tuna fish tins instead of rings (seriously, who owns those?). It’s a hassle to remove the bottom of the tin, and the english muffins don’t come out as well without the bottom of the tin removed. I also feel like the rings aren’t clean enough so if I really think about it I think it’s gross! Anyway, thanks!

cleaneatingchelsey March 20, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Tuna fish cans are pretty ingenious too!

Haley August 31, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Hi! Just wanted to say I am exactly the same way. I adopted a clean eating lifestyle last month and ever since then I’ve been in the kitchen EVERY NIGHT for hours just cooking and baking my life away. I’ve even had to look into buying a deep freezer to hold all of the stuff I’m making. *facepalm*

I, too, was going to suggest the tuna fish tins :P But it seems as if it has already been suggested! I use a safe edge can opener to open the ends that way I can fiddle with it and not get cut. I also run them through the dish washer before using them.

Ann Brooks March 7, 2013 at 6:48 am

I have made your english muffins twice – they are awesome! Thank you so much for sharing!
The second time I mixed Quinoa flour in with Bob’s Al Purpose. I also put a little corn meal in the bottom before putting the dough in the form. Just adds another element of the english muffins I have missed for all these years. Love your recipes!!

Jennifer June 1, 2013 at 8:10 pm

These are the BEST GF bread type product I have ever had! I love everything I have ever made on your site!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine January 26, 2014 at 12:34 pm

This is so perfect! I will be making these tonight! Have you ever frozen extras? How would you sugget doing so if you have any experience?

cleaneatingchelsey January 27, 2014 at 7:36 am

I have! I would just put them in a freezer safe bag/container and use them within a month or two!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine January 27, 2014 at 9:25 am

I successfully made them yesterday to use as vegan burger buns and they came out perfect! I froze 4 that didn’t get used each wrapped in wax paper and then put into individual sandwich baggies!

Kelly February 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm

is there something else that can be used in place of aluminum foil? I don’t like using that to cook with, doesn’t sound safe to me. For my own piece of mind I have been looking for something else but can’t find anything else to use? any ideas?

Rosi March 10, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Just made these! Pretty sure they look nothing like yours but maybe that’s because I used a different gluten free flour. Any who, I’ll be keeping at because I love the concept. :)

Iva March 15, 2014 at 12:36 pm

OMGeee! Amazing! I didn’t have any all-purpose flour. Used 3/4 cup brown rice flour, and 1/4 each of garbanzo/fava flour, tapioca and arrowroot. Wanted to use potato flour but I forgot. I was in a hurry so they came out a little underdone. My husband suggested toasting them and they were perfect! Just like English muffins. Love ‘em!

Melanie May 25, 2014 at 10:17 pm

I just made some of these, although mine didn’t turn out like a batter at all, more of a dough, so I put the mixture into my Thermomix and whizzed it up, then added more water and more oil but just turned into more of a wetter sticky dough. I proved them in front of my fire but it didn’t rise at all, after about 40 minutes I didn’t think anything was going to happen so I popped them into the rings that I made and baked them, they turned out more like a mini crumpet, but still soooo good, even my 4 year old boy likes them, and thats saying something!!! Thankyou so much.
Any idea why my mix didn’t go thin like batter?