food phases

May 13, 2011

You’re lucky I’m not a superstitious person. Otherwise, instead of a post about oatmeal, you’d be getting a post about my fears of switching bodies with my mother when we go on a Chipotle date this evening. Even more horrifying than that is how Lindsay Lohan turned out. Can I get an Amen?

May 13, 2011 012
But no — luckily for you, today is about oatmeal. Today is also about my obsession with phases. I’ve gone through a lot of phases in my day. There was this one time in fifth grade when I wore the exact same sweater at least twice a week for every week. It was a horizontally striped sweater (think many colors) from Limited Too. I was also in charge of my own laundry by the time I was ten. It probably wasn’t a very pretty sight… or… smell. Just sayin’.

May 13, 2011 003

Then there was this other time when I was obsessed with the “poof”. You know the one I’m talking about. The one with the hair. A little less Snookie, if you will, but a poof nonetheless. In fact, my hair was so accustomed to the poof that I don’t think I parted my hair for a good year. My hair naturally went into the poof. I was a stylin’ girl.

May 13, 2011 001
And then there’s the food phases. You know the ones I’m talking about. When you absolutely without a doubt cannot imagine going one day without a certain food. In the fall it was pumpkin. You may remember my mentioning my family getting concerned because I was turning orange. No, I’m not joking. Right now, it’s sweet potatoes and the raisins/almonds combination for an afterschool snack.

I think I go through more phases with my oats however. There was a time (about a month ago) where I could not even fathom eating cold oats ever again. This coming from a girl who existed solely off of overnight oats last summer is quite a statement. Then, it became 90 degrees overnight. In case you are wondering, YES Chicago’s weather is totally bipolar. NO, we do not have four seasons. We have… winter and summer. Forget spring and fall — they are over rated apparently.

So cold oats it was. But they’re not any kind of cold oats. They are Katie’s voluminous oats trick. In the morning I just add a little more water and stir, stir, stir, and then I add toppings to my heart’s desire. Which right now is vanilla protein powder, blueberries, and cinnamon (and peanut butter — duh).

May 13, 2011 004

Blueberry Protein Oats

• 1 serving Katie’s voluminous oats (with whipped banana and chia seeds)
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla protein powder stirred into the oats
  • 1/2 cup blueberries stirred in the morning
  • cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp. peanut butter

May 13, 2011 011

Apparently I’m also going through a “I think I can afford to go through a container of blueberries every day” phase. Which is getting expensive — is it berry season quite yet?

Since I’m not quite out of this phase yet, I’m going to bundle up tomorrow morning when I eat my breakfast as the forecast is saying it will only be 50 degrees tomorrow.

Chicago, are you for real?

I think I want to have a Friday the 13th experience with anyone who lives in a warm climate year round. Any takers?

Question: What is your most memorable food phase? Do you believe in Friday the 13th?

Freya May 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Haha, I was doing my own laundry at that age too! It wasn’t pretty.
My food phases: honey sandwiches. Mac and cheese. Chocolate and crisps. Banana oats. Green monsters. Kabocha and parsnips. The point in between the first 3 and the last 3 is apparently a black hole, with no phases!

Christine @ Merf In Progress May 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

You don’t want to swap with me. It’s going to be rainy and cruddy here this weekend. Loved this whole post, especially since I am new to overnight oats and am in love with them. But I’m sort of fixated on the comment about Chipotle. I think I can’t go to Chipotle anymore. I have major portion control issues there and am always so full afterwards. Not to mention the ridic number of calories I consume.

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:08 am

Oh, I definitely left uncomfortable!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) May 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Haha you don’t want to swap with me!! London is not usually sunny or warm! :P

Food phases? Well I go through BIG nut butter phases! One week it’ll be almond, the next week cashew, etc. My collection is pretty big right now! :P

And mmm your oatmeal looks so YUMMY!! Hello blueberry craving! :D

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:08 am

I usually stick with the PB. I can’t get past it. :)

runyogarepeat May 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm

My food phase in elementary school (K-3rd grade) was PB & J sandwiches EVERY single day, then tuna sandwiches for half a year. Kinda weird. I go through phase with coffee – sometimes hot, sometimes iced, other times I just want tea.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm

i call them a food groove, not a food rut, like some ppl do. if you know what you like and it works, then have at it is what i say!

enjoy your oats girl :)

Simply Life May 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm

i love your bowl – looks like a perfect breakfast!

Amanda @ Running with Spoons May 13, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Most memorable food phase? Gah! Where do I even start? There were a few years where I ate nothing but Pop Tarts every day for breakfast… I switched that out to oatmeal, and I’m still waiting for the next breakfast phase to come along… maybe it’ll be pancakes or something. Then there was the few months that I went 100% completely raw vegan, if you wanna consider that a phase. I like to think of it more as temporary insanity…

I’m still waiting for blueberry season to roll around so I don’t have to donate one of my kidneys to feed my habit…

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:09 am

haha – but you only need one kidney. No big deal! :)

I used to eat poptarts like it was my job.

movesnmunchies May 13, 2011 at 5:40 pm

oh my gosh im a FOOD PHASE GAL! i kind of hate it but meh its me!! currenntly im in the banana and pb phase! x 100000.. and the oat phase! altho i CAN go a day without them now!

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:10 am

oh you sure are in the banana phase – 4 of them a day! Ha!

gagagrapefruit May 13, 2011 at 5:56 pm

i just ate pb&choco overnight oats for like three weeks in a row until i couldn’t even eat them anymore. i think i’m over that though and i’ll probably eat them for breakfast tomorrow morning hahah

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I went through a phase when I was 8 where all I would eat for lunch was a tomato and mayo sandwich because I wanted to be like Harriet the Spy. :P

You should check out Costco for blueberries! I just got a huge box of them for $4 there!

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:10 am

I am going to get some at Costco today i ftheyre are reasonable!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 13, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I certainly go through food phases. I’m on a yogurt bowl phase right now.

Tiff May 14, 2011 at 8:00 am

I’m with Tina. I’m currently re-starting my parfait/yogurt bowl phase due to the in-season strawberries.

vegan aphrodite May 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I love cold voluminious oat meal, and it looks so good with bluberries. My fave at the moment is goji berries and walnuts.
I have these food phases too. My chocolate phase started when I as 10, and its still on (Im 23), so I guess that is a life time-phase. However, I have a huge nutbutter phase at the moment. Im noy sure if that one will ever end either- Im totaly addicted:)

missymiller May 13, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I wouldn’t call it a “phase” because I will never get over it I believe but my pickles and peanut butter is remembered by any who observe it, while my Kimchi fetish will be remembered by any who enounter me and the (for some) stinky deliciousness.

I have eaten asparagus daily for….going on two years? I think I might be getting over it and that will be very memorable when I do. YEARS. Everyday.

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:11 am

blech – I always cringe a little at the pickles and peanut butter! hahaa!

marathonmaiden May 13, 2011 at 6:35 pm

i’m in an oatmeal phase right now too. i eat it 2-3 times a day and each time is different! soooooooooo many possibilities.

Lauren May 13, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I definitely go through major phases as well. Right now, it’s a massive fruit obsession. I go through pints of berries by the day. Hard on the wallet, but not as bad as it was a few weeks ago. Thank goodness they are coming in season.

Emily May 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Yummm blueberries and bananas together are amazing!

Colleen May 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Oh my God, Northern VA has the most bipolar weather as well! I was laying out in a bathing suit on Wednesday and tomorrow I’ll need jeans and a sweater. Awesome. Just awesome.

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:11 am

I know – today it’s nasty out once again!

Sara May 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I feel like I’m in a never ending cinnamon raisin English muffin phase, topped with PB&J. I’m sort of afraid that one morning I’ll suddenly hate it….scary!

Jess@HealthyExposures May 13, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I go through ridiculous phases, too. Hello, I had a cold oats and waffle obsession last summer…then moved to pancakes…then the banana scramble with some occasional french toast…back to waffles…and now I’m on cereal. And it’s funny how in the middle of each phase I always think “oh my God I love ____ I don’t think I’ll ever go back to _____.”
I’m impatiently waiting for berry season, too. It can’t get here soon enough!

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:12 am

I always think that too! It must be part of the phase.

BrocStar May 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I really need to try her oat trick.. I’ve been seeing it everywhere.

You think twice a week is bad? In middle school I wore the same pants and shoes every single day. When I bought new ones, I would simply retire my old loved pair, not mix them together throughout the week.
I also tended to wear the same sweatshirt every day.

My most memorable food phase was probably spaghetti. I used to eat it SO MUCH.

Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 13, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I’m definitely in an overnight oats phase. I had them 3 times the other day! In my defense I was completely out of food in my dorm :)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

haha yes I was a wee bit shocked when I walked out the door for a run this morning! I want the hot Chicago weather back! :P

see even during the hot weather, I never crave cold oats. I know I just need to give them a try but there is something wonderful about a big warming bowl of steamy oats. Yes clearly I am also addicted ;)

Have a great weekend! :)

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:13 am

I used to think the same thing – then I got over it last year abecause I’d be sweating while eating breakfast.

Lindsay@livinglindsay May 13, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I needed an oat recipe for my morning breakfast – think I’ll try this!

Jess May 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

These oats look so yummy!! I am stuck in a perpetual sweet potato phase..which I hope never ends :D

megan @ the oatmeal diaries May 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Beautiful oats! Last year around this time I had overnight oats with sliced banana and almonds literally every day. Also you just reminded me how much I love the movie Freaky Friday!!

Lauren May 13, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Ummm this is out of control! I can’t wait to try this trick. PS I only understood the body switching comment when I got to the end of this post.

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:13 am

You’re hilarious. And I forgive you – sometimes it takes me a while to catch on to things too.

Audie May 13, 2011 at 10:53 pm

wasn’t too into the whole Friday the 13th superstition things until today…

woke up at 630 to a flooded apartment (washer exploded while we were sleeping apparently)
&
our bank charged us dumb fees and basically just stole 1/2 my paycheck .. . .
:P on the bright side, I did win a $5 gift certificate while grocery shopping today!

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:14 am

Oh no! I would have freaked. I hope you get it all figured out!

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. May 14, 2011 at 12:26 am

I love Katie’s voluminous oats, i’ve made them twice – she has TOO many great recipes to choose from! I know i’m in a permanent oatmeal phase but depending on the weather its hot or cold and I get on toppings/mixings phases with my oats. SMOOTHIES are my major ‘phase’ right now because it’s getting warmer. So delish :) Have a great weekend Chelsey!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy May 14, 2011 at 12:37 am

Mother Nature is little miss moody! It was in the 90′s and now it’s in the 40′s – dressing in layers is where it’s at right now! ;)

Laura @ Meet Virginia May 14, 2011 at 6:30 am

I think I had that SAME Limited Too sweater! Then again, wasn’t almost everything they had multicolored and striped? Haha. I would love to see a picture of you with that poof! ;)

My most memorable food phase was probably my sophomore year of college when I ate Special K cereal with 1/2 a banana for breakfast legitimately every single morning. Now I wouldn’t touch the stuff. I burnt out on it, not to mention it doesn’t really have any redeeming nutritional value.

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:15 am

I used to live off of Kashi Go Lean Crunch! I’m pretty sure I still would if I could have gluten.

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) May 14, 2011 at 6:45 am

I feel you on the food phases, especially the overnight oats! This winter I was so into hot oatmeal with melty peanut butter on top, and couldn’t imagine ever wanting the cold stuff again. But like you, the warmer weather has brought back my love for overnight oats!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 14, 2011 at 7:01 am

Oh gosh, I’ve had so many of them. I think right now I’m on a “chocolate on ANYTHING” phase. A couple of weeks ago it was yams, before that, apples. My most memorable was probably potatoes. That lasted for a solid year. I made myself homemade fries in coconut oil everyday after work. It was a huge problem haha

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 7:15 am

Doesn’t sound like a problem to me! :)

Katie May 14, 2011 at 7:30 am

Hi love!!!!

Oh my , most memorable food phase was cereal! I would eat it for breakfast and lunch for a long time! So bad I know, but all I wanted was Kashi Heart 2 Heart cereal! lol!

Thanks for the info on the book! I truly appreciate it, I knew the first one was ok, but I never researched the others yet, but thanks for the heads up!!

xoxo <3

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 14, 2011 at 7:36 am

That oatmeal looks awesome. I’ve been going through a major protein powder kick lately…not really sure why!! I used to be obsessed with Lean Cuisines and Special K. Now they both totally skeeve me out…glad that phase is over!!

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm

ME TOO! I used to love both!

Julie H. May 14, 2011 at 10:22 am

I go thorough food phases like mad! ….RECENTLY I’ve been through the protein smoothie in the morning, apple and cheese and spinach every lunch, carrots and hummus after school, Greek yogurt parfait, sweet potato with cinnamon every night… and I’m talking EVERY day!
For this month it has been green monsters every morning! This habit of eating only certain things for months at a time drives the husband BONKERS!!!

cleaneatingchelsey May 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Oh I eat almost the same thing every day except for dinner – and even then it usually always involves a sweet potato!

rdexposed May 14, 2011 at 11:03 am

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food

Allison @ Runs A Latte May 14, 2011 at 11:35 am

I know – this Chicago weather is totally nuts!! One minute I wake up sweating in the middle of the night, the next day I need my coat on. I miss spring and fall!

I’m always going through food phases. I tend to kill any foods I love and vow never to eat it again because I’ve overdosed. I’ll usually come around to them again. Right now, I’m in a PB&Co. phase. I’m obsessed with almost all their flavors! Can’t.stop.eating!

Jenny May 14, 2011 at 11:37 am

I’m definitely on a huge oatmeal kick right now. Hot, cold, baked, anyway I can get them. I had some today with Reeses peanut butter chips, amazing! :D

char May 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm

PB is always a good friend of mine and I swear I’ve been on a pomegranate kick for like a year (yes I did enjoy one last night and will take every red drop that gets on my clothes just to enjoy it’s amazingness).

Amy @ Second City Randomness May 14, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I’m still in an oatmeal phase right now. But there was the year of toast. The year of cheese and crackers. The year of pasta and marinara at least every other day…

It seems I have a trend of just varying up how I get my carbs…

kbwood May 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I MISS YOU!!!!!! im still reading on your life tho :) i love oatmeal. i dont think ill EVER get out of that phase! its what ive had for breakfast for like 2 years, haha! i like it HOT too!!! i go through major food phases with my late night snacks! LOVE YOU

Shes A Speedracer May 14, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I know that I’m always going to love oatmeal, that is for sure not one of my phases. Its soo yummy, i’m for sure going to try out the recipe. :)
just started blogging!

Erin May 24, 2011 at 10:58 am

Hi Chelsey! Just found your blog via Averie’s blog, and I love your blog too! I was laughing b/c I think I owned the exact sweater you are talking about from Limited Too! Was it black and white and multi-colored horizontal stripes? If so, yup, I too also wore it way too much. Funny. Right now, I’m going thru a banana/coconut milk/cinnamon/peanut butter a.m. Smoothie made in the good ole vita mix :) yummmmmmmmmmm
Looking forward to reading more of your blog! Thank u! :)

Sweet Cheeks July 29, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I am so the same way! except i think i’ve been in an oatmeal phase for my whole life, haha!