grilled chocolate banana muffins

June 7, 2011

Oh yes I did.

June 7, 2011 015

This morning I had big plans — plans for these overly ripened bananas to meet their destiny.

June 7, 2011 008

Muffins. Banana muffins. Chocolate Banana Muffins. Chocolate Banana Blueberry muffins.

You’ll have to excuse all these flavors in the muffins — I get a little overzealous in the mornings.

However, when I woke up this morning, it was hot. I know this is the story of my life for the next three months, and I’m okay with it. What I’m not okay with is using the oven when it’s hot outside — which can be a problem when you are a food blogger in need of new recipes. All I wanted to do was bake today. What I didn’t want to hear was my niece and nephew complain the second they walked through the door that it was hot in my house.

A thought popped into my brain — could I possibly …. grill baked goods?

June 7, 2011 009

Well, there’s only one way to find out!

June 7, 2011 012

Turns out, you can grill muffins.

June 7, 2011 013
It was a long and difficult 18 minutes if you want my opinion. I had every intention of sitting right next to the grill, watching these muffins like a hawk, but then I got hot.

I went inside by the AC and watched from the window instead.

June 7, 2011 014
Grilled Choco-banana Blueberry Muffins (makes 12 ginormous muffins)

• 1 and 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix
  • 1/2 cup chocolate sunwarrior protein powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. cinnamon
  • 3 very ripened bananas
  • 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. flax + 3 tbsp. warm water)
  • 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 2 tbsp. maple syrup
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup blueberries

June 7, 2011 016
Directions: Begin by combining your flour, chocolate protein powder**, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, mash your three bananas with a fork. Add your agave, maple syrup, vanilla, and applesauce. Stir until smooth. Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.

Next, spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. You will want to have preheated your grill for about five minutes — set the burners to low.  Place the muffin tin pan on a cookie sheet (to avoid burning) and place them on the lowest burner. Cook for 15-18 minutes. The muffins are done when a toothpick (or a fork) comes out clean.

**Note: If you do not have protein powder, use 1/2 cup flour and 1-2 tbsp. cocoa powder.

June 7, 2011 018

I think I’ve found my calling — grilling everything. There hasn’t been a day in a very long time where the grill has not been turned on.

June 7, 2011 019

I think I created a monster.

Question: Have you ever grilled anything that was “unconventional”?

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

How interesting! You are a genius. :-) Gotta try this.

Lisa Fine June 7, 2011 at 9:34 am

Yum! Deliciously clever idea.

When I visit Australia I make grilled eggs pretty often, since they’re common there. My partner’s Australian, and whenever we visit his family, I ask for barbecued eggs. They’re really good.

Jessica @ How Sweet June 7, 2011 at 9:34 am

You are a genius. Holy delicious.

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 10:26 am

Coming from you, what a compliment! :)

kaila @ healthy helper June 7, 2011 at 9:35 am

Oh my! These sound sinful!!!! So deliciously amazing! And I love that they’re grilled…lawd knows I don’t wann be tunring on the oven in the summer!

Kelly@RahRaw June 7, 2011 at 9:36 am

Seriously? Wow, what an idea to grill baked goods! :) They look divine!!! Enjoy your day!

kate June 7, 2011 at 9:38 am

what an awesome idea I hate heating my kitchen up when I bake this is perfect!

funinphotos June 7, 2011 at 9:38 am

So smart!

GF Grad Nut June 7, 2011 at 9:38 am

Bahaha, this is awesome.
P.S. I’m sitting here sippin’ on my teeccino sample from you, and it is delicious!! You just made my morning.

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 10:26 am

Yay! I’m glad you liked it!

Felicia @ Natural + Balanced June 7, 2011 at 9:45 am

that is so funny! never even thought of grilling baked goods.. now i know what to do if my oven ever stops working :)

Claire @ Live & Love to Eat June 7, 2011 at 9:45 am

These look so lovely and healthy! What a grand idea!

Lindsey June 7, 2011 at 9:56 am

That is amazing! I would have never thought of doing this but now I have to!

I have only grilled the regulars, nothing special. But last night I told my husband I want to grill peaches, which we have never done.

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 10:26 am

Oh yum!

Tiff June 7, 2011 at 10:11 am

Brilliant. I’m really impressed by the creativity here. I haven’t gotten creative with the grill yet – that’s the Mr’s territory, and I know my place. haha

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 7, 2011 at 10:18 am

Let the baked goods continue through the heat of summer. Hallelujah!!! :)

Emily June 7, 2011 at 10:19 am

This is amazing! I totally want to try it!

Valerie @ Spice In Our Life June 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

No way! That is awesome! They look delicious.

Tabitha June 7, 2011 at 10:27 am

What a brilliant idea! Props to you. I must try these.

Just out of curiosity…how “chocolatey” does the protein powder make them?

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 11:03 am

Not too chocolatey!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 7, 2011 at 10:39 am

Is grilling pineapple considered unconventional? Or pizza… But actually you are my hero. Everything everything EVERYTHING tastes better when it has been grilled. I bow down.

Faith @ lovelyascharged June 7, 2011 at 10:41 am

Nope, haven’t grilled anything unconventional, persay, but I do remember getting strange looks from my former students when I brought corn to grill so I could partake in their end-of-summer BBQ last year…”Miss Faiiiiiith, why dont you want hot dogs???”

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 11:03 am

I would be really tempted to tell them the REAL truth about hot dogs. :)

Shanna, like Banana June 7, 2011 at 10:44 am

WHAT? This is genius. Look how perfect they turned out. I must try asap.

TheNewHealthy June 7, 2011 at 10:52 am

What a great idea! A great way to bake in the summer without turning on the oven!! :)

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey June 7, 2011 at 10:53 am

Incredible. I would have never thought of grilling muffins!

Question – did you close the lid down on them to seal in the heat (like an oven)? I’d imagine so, but didn’t see it above…

~

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 11:03 am

Yes I did!

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 7, 2011 at 11:03 am

In Germany we would grill our toast on it with butter and cinnamon sugar so I could have tea parties.

But I love this muffin idea. Now I need a grill.

Cait June 7, 2011 at 11:26 am

What?! You can grill muffins!? I have never in my life heard of this! This is so cool!! I’m seriously in awe here, haha.

And chocolate banana? You really can’t go wrong with that flavor combo :)

BrocStar June 7, 2011 at 11:29 am

Ha- I love it. What are you going to do next- a pot of water on the grill to cook noodles in?

Heather June 7, 2011 at 11:31 am

I so wish I had a grill to try these out! I’ll use the oven and pretend!

sugarcoatedsisters June 8, 2011 at 12:26 am

Ditto, our’s has been out of gas for almost a year :(

Jess@HealthyExposures June 7, 2011 at 11:34 am

no. you. didn’t. oh my lawd, you are my idol. i’ve been worrying about how soon i’ll have to stop baking my muffins that i practically live for…worry no more!

caitlinoco June 7, 2011 at 11:36 am

So amazing! And sounds delicious! Do they taste any different than making them in the oven? More summery perhaps =)?

Cassie June 7, 2011 at 11:41 am

Drooling over these!! :)

Liz June 7, 2011 at 11:46 am

My boyfriend just bought a grill. I know what I’m doing next time I’m over…

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 7, 2011 at 11:54 am

Grilling muffins… my goodness, that’s fantastic! I wish we had a BBQ but it’s just not on our list of things to buy this summer with the fence, deck, and yard. Next year. Next year I will make these muffins!!

Mac June 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

I have never tried grilling muffin, very creative! I have heard of dashboard cookies though, which is VERY unconventional. My friend swears on her life that if you make dough and put them on a pan in your car (when it’s hot out) and you leave them there for a while they will bake… not sure if it works, but she swears it does haha!

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm

That is really cool! I’d be afraid some birds would try and get them!

Kelsey @ Unmitigated Grub June 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm

that’s AWESOME! love it :)

Great way to kick off your summer!

sara @ the foodie diaries June 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm

That is the COOLEST thing ever! I never thought of grilling baked goods. Speaking of grill stories… It just so happens last night my family, Paul, and I were grilling out. I had told Paul that he didn’t need to use a lighter to start the PROPANE GRILL but he insisted that “he knows what he’s doing”. He starts up the grill, leans over to light it with a lighter, and WHOOSH! A great big ball of fire pretty much engulfed him!! We all screamed, and THANKFULLY he was fine, but his arm hairs were completely singed off. That’s what he gets for not listening to me.. just because I’m a girl doesn’t mean I don’t know what I’m doing! :)

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm

oh my gosh!!! That’s crazy! I’m the grill master in our house. The Husband is a good griller, but I want to eat like the INSTANT he walks through the door.

Allison @ PickyEatingRD June 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Wow! Such a great idea DELICIOUS!! I am unsure how you stood outside for even a minute today it is sooo gross!

Lindsay@livinglindsay June 7, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Great discovery, Chelsey! and my husband will thank you for saving us a few dollars on our electric bill. When I bake, the air conditioner works overtime to compensate for the heat. This is a great idea! I wonder if you can grill cookies, cakes….hmmm….we shall see!

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Don’t worry – I’ll check for us all. :)

sugarcoatedsisters June 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm

This is so interesting! I never would have thought that you could grill muffins!!! I’ve never really grilled anything unconventional, but the best thing I’ve had grilled is salmon covered in horseradish. I swear it is sooo delicious, especially if you like having a little spicy kick in your food :)

sunshinevegan June 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Haha muffins on the grill! That is so creative!
I have the same problem with it being too hot to bake here in Florida :/ so I might just have to try this the next time my homemade muffin craving strikes!

runningonapples June 7, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I grilled peaches once, didn’t turn out too well haha. So do the muffins have a slight BBQ flavor?

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm

haha nope!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I think it’s already been said, but you are seriously a genius! There’s nothing worse than a hot kitchen on an already hot day! :P

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I love that you grilled muffins!

And I could love to eat anything that’s grilled with chocolate. :)

I dont actually have a grill anymore but that’s ok. I have a microwave. lol

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm

microwave muffins = good as well!

char on a mission June 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Coolest idea ever! I would have never thought to do that. I usually stick to grilling meat and veg. The only ‘odd’ thing I’ve ever grilled was corn in aluminum foil and you may be saying that’s not weird at all..but for me, last summer (aka the first time), it was weird!

glitzglamgranola June 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Omigosh, these look AMAZING! I had no idea that you could grill muffins?! What a great idea! I think I need to make these asap!

britchickruns June 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm

You grilled your muffins.
CEC, I just fell in love with you all over again!
I don’t even know how to use my oven grill, so the answer to the Q would be…no.!

Jess June 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm

The weirdest thing we’ve ever grilled is veggie packets. Yep, pretty exciting!!

Haha, those look FANTASTIC!!

Katie June 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm

That’s my kind of grilling!

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I knew you would be proud.

cbrady3 June 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Is it weird that I was honestly really curious all night as to what your genius recipe idea was?
Who knew you could grill muffins and they would turn out like normal! Neat!

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) June 7, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Genius! I love that a) you tried it and b) it looks delish. Since you’re starting with dessert, here’s a dinner idea (gluten-free and vegan): forbidden rice with sweet potato, red pepper, and green onions. http://bread-n-chocolate.blogspot.com/2011/06/summer-salad-forbidden-rice.html

Enjoy!

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm

That looks good! I might be making that tomorrow!

jsedney June 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm

such a creative idea! Did they have a grill taste?

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Nope – they tasted like muffins! My nephew scarfed one down the second he walked through the door.

elleeatsvegan June 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

omg what a good idea! I love baking during the summer, but hate heating my apartment up… I’ll have to try this :)

cheerfulfeast June 7, 2011 at 4:10 pm

So awesome for the summer when you don’t want to heat the house by turning the oven on! I like grilled fruit, but I think that is becoming more mainstream!

Stephanie June 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Chelsey, you’re brilliant. I wish my nanners were over ripe so I could justify making these. I’ll just have to wait, I guess. Or not ;)

Alexa @ Simple Eats June 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Wow. What an awesome idea! These sound fantastic!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) June 7, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Oh my gosh – they even plumped up nicely! These sound incredible. Since you have the summer off, I think you should drive to NY to deliver me some grilled muffins! ;)

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition June 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Annnnnd I’ll be making these this weekend!

Jennifer (The Gourmetour) June 7, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Very cool!!! Those look amazing.

I wrote a post about this a few weeks ago, it wasn’t necessarily unconventional becuase I grilled pizza, but unusual because they were frozen pizzas (at least I thought so, I’ve never seen frozen pizza grilled).

Amanda @ Running with Spoons June 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Lol oh wow, these sound fantastic. I love grilling/cooking banana… brings out SO many flavors. I’m not sure I’ve grilled anything unconventional… pineapple and peaches, but that’s been done.

Lauren June 7, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Uhhh, you are awesome! I never would have thought to grill baked goods! I just made banana muffins too, but adding chocolate would have made them so much better. I love grilling fruit and have been meaning to grill pizza too!

Lauren June 7, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I remember having a grilled blueberry muffin at a diner one time and thinking it was the best thing I’ve ever had. Grilling food rocks! No matter what the food is.

Corey @ the runners cookie June 7, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Ah that’s awesome! I would never think to grill something I’d usually bake. The muffins look fantastic – banana and chocolate anything is ok with me! We’ve grilled a pizza before, but that’s not exactly unconventional. Very impressed!

Angie (Losing It and Loving It) June 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I love reading blogs! Our plan tonight was to grill pizzas (they turned out AWESOME by the way) and I knew I had to make these since the grill would already be hot. They turned out quite good. A bit dry but nothing a tiny bit of Earth Balance couldn’t make right. I actually used an egg (don’t have flax) and wasn’t sure what else to do (I don’t cook LOL). Now I want to try more muffins that way. We grill year round here in Chicago even in the snow, so this will be fun. If you try any more grill dessert recipes, I want to know about them. Hubby says he likes the muffins but they just aren’t sweet enough. Hmmmm

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Glad you made the muffins! Mine didn’t turn out dry at all! I wonder why yours did!

cleaneatingchelsey June 7, 2011 at 9:16 pm

and I should have warned about the not too sweet thing – I’m not a “sweets” kind of person!

Angie (Losing It and Loving It) June 7, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Oh no worries! I think I left them on a bit too long. A few of the toothpicks came out wet but not all so I bet if I would have brought them off early, they wouldn’t have been so dry.

Diana June 7, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I did a post on grilled brownies. I don’t like to turn the oven on in the summer. It works against the air conditioning and I don’t see a reason to be wasteful.

Baking Serendipity June 7, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I love grilled pizza, but I’m honestly not sure how unconventional that is anymore. Grilled muffins is a fantastic idea! Living in Phoenix, I love any reason not to turn the oven on and still eat well :) Will definitely be making these this summer…thank you!

happytalesblog June 7, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Get outtttt! Grilling muffins?!!? Who woulda thought?! They look so normal… so GOOD! I’m way impressed, Miss Chelsey… you going to try your hand at anything else? I don’t own a grill…and even if i didn’t i’d have NO idea how to turn it on!

cleaneatingchelsey June 8, 2011 at 7:18 am

I think I’m going to try a lot more grilled things. :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 8, 2011 at 1:09 am

This is so brilliant! I would never have thought to grill muffins, but the muffins look like they turned out beautifully! This is the perfect solution because our oven is out of comission at the moment. I’ll just use the grill!!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles June 8, 2011 at 1:35 am

These muffins look super yummy! I have no bbq or grill, however, so I’m gonna have to go with the good ol’ oven! =)

cleaneatingchelsey June 8, 2011 at 7:18 am

I would say use the oven at 375 or 400 then!

Christina June 8, 2011 at 6:31 am

AH! Vegan muffins! Grilled! You just made my day!

Laurie Sloan June 8, 2011 at 9:24 am

I love reading everything you do. You have a sasstacular gift!! However, yes its like a but, Grilling will be the next topic of discussion while volunteering =) Keep up the good work!!!

cleaneatingchelsey June 8, 2011 at 10:55 am

haha you crack me up – I’m actually going to come in tomorrow! Maybe around noon’ish?

Nichole June 8, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Grilling baked goods is absolutely genius!!!!!

janetha @ meals & moves June 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm

GRILLED MUFFINS. you just rocked my world.

ashleyatcookingforjohn June 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm

yum!! i am making these tomorrow after school (i’m a teacher aide @ a middle school) we are almost on break- friday is the last day!

i just started a blog and will post about these there once i whip em up! i love you blog, it has definitely been an inspiration for me! :)

cleaneatingchelsey June 8, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I like you already – I cook for John as well. :)

owlmazing June 9, 2011 at 6:41 am

So cool! I would definitely try this as it is BOILING in my apartment but I don’t have a BBQ :(

Megan@eatmybeets June 9, 2011 at 8:32 am

Haha wow how creative! I’ve been wanting to bake quite badly as of late. Unfortunately I haven’t had the time. Wish I had a grill so I could try these out but I will have to bookmark it and make them in my oven :-)

ashleyatcookingforjohn June 10, 2011 at 9:55 pm

wish we had a grill to make these in (we live in an apartment), but i am going to make these for a saturday morning treat tomorrow and will blog about the results!! :)

Brittany Ruesga May 22, 2012 at 10:32 am

Very nice website, thanks for share this article with us