homemade date syrup

August 1, 2011

The winners of the Muir Glen Organics giveaway are #164 Melanie and #249 Holly (Mrs. Cooper). Congrats! Please email me your contact information and I can email Heather from Muir Glen Organics!

What did you call dating when you were younger?

Me? Thanks for asking — I called it “going out”. When a boy asked a girl to “be his girlfriend” (usually via a note passed through a best friend), that was called going out. Which is funny — because we usually didn’t go anywhere. Wow, I sound like my mother.

Which makes me wonder what kids these days do to ask each other out. Facebook message? Text? IM? Are the old passing notes in junior high days over? If so, I’m sad for this generation.

July 31, 2011 009

Actual dates were a different story. While I had a lot of boyfriends in junior high and high school, my first “official date” was not until the end of my sophomore year of high school. My second semester of my sophomore year, I took Drama as an elective. I loved that class, and one of the most fun aspects of it was that it was a Sophomore-Senior class, which meant I got to bat my eyes at older boys (so kidding — I was so shy around boys). I was single at the time (obviously), and there was this senior who always talked to me in class.

To tell you the truth, I wasn’t really into him. In fact, I don’t even remember his name now. Erick? Aaron? Jake? I don’t remember — and really, that’s not the point. The point is that he asked me out… on a date — a real date! IN PERSON! Which meant that I obviously had to say yes. Along with my shyness, I also had this intense fear of peoples’ feelings being hurt. Just ask the Husband — I have gotten over that fear as of late.

July 31, 2011 016

So the “boy who shall remain nameless” (because I forgot his name) asked me out for a Sunday afternoon date right before finals at the end of the year. That should have set me off immediately — Sunday afternoon? What are we — 80? Needless to say, we were off with the senior citizens to Cozi for a dessert for two: S’mores.

He came to my house, picked me up (in a car no less! Without his mom driving — big step here) and off we went to Cozi for our romantic $7.00 dessert. We found a table for two, and unfortunately the Mariachi band serenading people wasn’t there that day… Rats. I couldn’t tell you what we talked about, as I was far too involved in toasting the perfect marshmallow instead of listening to “boy who shall remain nameless” speak. Mainly because all he was talking about was himself, and well… what kind of girl enjoys that? Not this one.

July 31, 2011 004-1

The real deal breaker, of course, was when he asked me if I wanted to go play some DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) with him at the arcade after our S’mores. Um, no thank you… I don’t want s’more of this date please. Instead, I lied — I told him I had to go home because my mom wanted me to study for my final the following day. In reality, I was a good student and my mom never checked up on my study habits.

As heartbroken as he looked, I stood my ground and told him I needed to go home. So off we went, in his car (which was looking uglier by the second), and of course… he took the longest route home. There is a large main road in my town (and the neighboring towns) that was under construction at the time. It took almost triple the time it would have taken if we would have driven on the back roads. When I told him he could have taken a different way (as we were sitting in stand still traffic), he looked at me with a glint of crazy in his eyes and told me, “I know — I just wanted to spend more time with you.”

Um, gag me. And get me home. Why did my mom let me drive in a car with a boy when I was 15? Bad parenting right there.

July 31, 2011 003

Homemade Date Syrup (makes approximately 2 cups)

• 10 dates, pitted
  • 1 and 3/4 cups water
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions: Place the dates, water, lemon juice, and vanilla in a high powered blender and soak for approximately 10 minutes. Puree until smooth (1-2 minutes). Store refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks.

*Date syrup can be used in place of agave, honey, or other sweeteners*

July 31, 2011 005

The kicker of this entire story?

I never spoke to that boy again.

Not even in Drama class the next day.

Awkward.

Question: What was the absolute WORST date you have ever had? Make me laugh people.

Lauren August 1, 2011 at 12:35 am

This sounds perfect!!! I love cooking with dates but I never would think to make date syrup. Yum!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 1, 2011 at 12:42 am

AHAHAHAHAH I want to marry you. I legitimately went on a very similar almost the same date with a guy named yuriy….YURIY….who was actually really hot but that’s besides the point, he asked me on a sunday afternoon date and we um, drove around. I told him to stop at my friends house cause i wanted to get away from him. Suuuuuper awk. Oh and I am making this and drinking it with a straw.

Sophie @ threetimesf August 1, 2011 at 7:38 am

Hahah I knew a guy called Yuriy once…….he was a complete weirdo!! :/

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 1, 2011 at 12:45 am

Holy cow, seriously LAUGHED OUT LOUD!!!! ….. This date story stole the thunder of your first real date…. The date syrup is SO getting made when I get home from my honeymoon re-do!
—My first date = AWFUL! …. I went out with a college boy, I was a senior in high school. He had a crush on me via my sister and seeing my picture on her fridge. Sign #1 he’s weird- no college boy wants to date a high school girl. … So, he picked me up in his HIDEOUS little pickup and we went out on a date to a really nice restaurant. He talked about himself the. whole. night. …. I hated every minute. He asked me to come over to a college party he was throwing that night after our ‘amazing’ date, he wanted to see me again. (maybe he thought I was a theripist????) …I went to this party, it was awkward. He liked me, I didn’t like him.
He ended up CRYING !!!!!!!(mainly because he was drunk) Yep, he cried because he could ‘tell’ that I wasn’t into him like he was me……. Geeeeze, it has been so long, thanks for the flash back! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :)

cleaneatingchelsey July 31, 2011 at 7:48 pm

oh my goooossshhhhhhhhh!! ahahahaha!!!

Morgan @ Endorphaholic July 31, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Ahh this is hysterical! Crying drunk boys make for the best stories.

And yessss another 49er fan!!

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries July 31, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I went on a date with a senior towards the end of my freshman year in high school (I was a hussy, I know.) He picked me up from a family get together at one of my uncle’s houses. He rolled up (IN A CAR) and I tried to scoot out before all 30 family members saw me. As I scurried to the car, out from the house runs 5 of my cousins and two uncles with tin-foil hats on their heads yelling about how their hats kept the aliens out of their heads. It was traumatizing. Thank GOD this boy and I didn’t go to the same high school. Needless to say, that was our first (and last) date.

cleaneatingchelsey August 1, 2011 at 6:48 am

That’s hilarious. One of my Husband’s uncles pretended to be deaf when my brother in law brought a girlfriend over. She left crying.

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 31, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Hahah….I love you! Um, I’m not entirely sure I’ve ever had an awkward “date” per se. But, a few weeks after I started dating a guy my senior year of high school I found out that the original reason he had showed interest in me was because of a bet he made with one of my friends. She had told him that I would never “go out” with him and she would buy him a case of beer if he could get me to- mind you, we weren’t 21 so I have no idea where this beer was coming from haha. I should have known then that we wouldn’t work out…but for some reason I stayed with him for over 2 years…eek! And I’m not really friends with that girls anymore.

christina July 31, 2011 at 8:31 pm

HAHA i love awkward boy stories!! That was hilarious…..and that syrup? Looks delicoius!!

kaila @ healthy helper! July 31, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Hilarious girl! And that date syrup looks amazing! Perfect for baking!

Morgan @ Endorphaholic July 31, 2011 at 9:00 pm

On my first date with my current boyfriend, we went hiking. We got lost. Hundreds of feet above the trail with no way down. We ended up rock climbing down a series of 30 foot vertical waterfalls. I had been in charge of directions.. Never gonna live that down.

But now I’ve got cool first-date scars!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 31, 2011 at 9:07 pm

The date syrup can do no wrong.

Soaked dates + water + vanilla extract is the base for about 17 of my raw vegan desserts!

Your syrup makes me…thirsty. I want to drink it! :)

Worst date… I have been the victim of violent crime. That officially goes down as the worst.

cleaneatingchelsey August 1, 2011 at 6:49 am

Yes, I can definitely see that going down as the worst date! So sorry you had to go through that!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 31, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I always snack on dates but I have never even heard/eaten date syrup! sounds like fun to make and eat :) thanks!

Laura @ Cookies vs. Carrots July 31, 2011 at 9:36 pm

OMG, aren’t high school dates the worst?

My worst first date was one that I didn’t even realize was a date. A kid that was new in our school asked me to a school dance, and since I also suffered from the inability to say no and potentially hurt someone’s feelings, I said that I would go with him as a friend. The kicker was that we weren’t friends. So, I felt the need to hang out with him to get to know him before the dance. We went bowling one day (as friends), and then a month later (a week before said dance), he brought me flowers to commemorate our one month anniversary. Mortified… mortified.

That was the moment that I learned sometimes it is best to say no, even if you think it might hurt someone’s feelings. The End.

cleaneatingchelsey August 1, 2011 at 6:51 am

Awkward!

natalie @ southern fit foodie July 31, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I don’t have any weird dating stories, but I do have some good news for you! As a 7th grade teacher, I can assure you that note passing is still in existence in the classroom. :) If they could have their phones out in school, I’m sure the kids would be texting each other instead of writing notes, so without their precious iphones they have to resort to old school note writing.

Lindsey July 31, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Date Syrup?! Yum!

We called it “going out” too,which makes no sense you are right!

I cannot think of any really bad dates but the one that does stick out in my mind is when I was 16ish and had a date with a boy who decided to “surprise” me with our afternoon activity – so I spent all afternoon getting all pretty and wore a super cute outfit – think summertime so a skirt, tank and high wedge heels. He comes to get me (doesn’t say anything about my outfit being appropriate or not so i assume it is) and takes me to a corn maze! haha. We spent the next 3 hours lost in a dirt path corn maze. I was not impressed ;)

PS Love the new blog look!

cleaneatingchelsey August 1, 2011 at 6:50 am

That is hilarious – I would have been so mad!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 31, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Gah. I’ve had some horrible dates in high school. Those years were just so awkward and I think I’ve successfully managed to block most of them out from my consciousness. But I went on a date not too long ago with a guy that wouldn’t stop talking about himself, and name dropped all his friends as if I should be impressed that he knows a guy named “Mike” and a guy named “Steve”. The worst part about it was that I tried to leave like 10 times but he just wouldn’t shut up. IT was painful.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 1, 2011 at 7:02 am

Hahaha this was awesome! I hate it when guys only talk about themselves – it’s such a big turn off!

I don’t really have any bad dating stories… well, now that I think about it, the last guy I dated kept on taking me to his soccer games. And then he apologized for not playing well over and over again, and he expected me to reassure him and tell him he was good. He was pretty self-involved. So needless to say, things with him didn’t last long. :P

Kelly August 1, 2011 at 7:15 am

I went out with a guy, Nick, one time to dinner and didn’t feel it. So I avoided him in school for the next week. Then about a week later I was home listening to the radio. 96.7 was the cool station and all of the sudden Nick calls into the radio station to tell the DJ he wants him to call this girl (ME) to find out why I didn’t like him. So the DJ does…um…call me…on air to ask what I didn’t like Nick. Horribly embarrasing! I didn’t answer. I let my machine pick up and as the city of Austin heard my message the DJ left me one telling me to give Nick another chance. The next day of school…so much fun. Not.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} August 1, 2011 at 7:19 am

I almost didn’t click over on this post because I thought it said “Homemade Date Soup”. I’m glad I reread it–date syrup. That I get! :-)

Sophie @ threetimesf August 1, 2011 at 7:46 am

Hahaha, this post and the comments are hilarious!

My worst date…I was 18 and had only been on a few ‘real’dates before. The guy was pretty hot – we went to school together but hadn’t ever really spoken that much, and definitely not just the 2 of us. We went out to a cheap local restaurant, and all was going well until he mentioned his ex (seriously?!) and started crying (I mean really – the boy was 18 – it can’t have been that serious!!) I tried to comfort him at first but really couldn’t get him to stop and he didn’t seem to get the hint that people were staring. I had to pretend to go to the toilet ad actually left!! (I thought people only did that in movies?!) Needless to say, we didn’t go out (or talk!) again, and thankfully school finished soon afterwards! Awkward!

Ooooohh, and I too work in a school and confirm that note passing is very much still at the height of fashion!

Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 1, 2011 at 8:24 am

Ughhhh bleak, sometimes dates are just not meant to be.

The very worst date I ever went on was actually a second date with a guy who had done fairly well on his first one. There was a big span of time in between the two, though, so it went from making s’mores in his fireplace one bedroom apartment with super high ceilings to heading over to his single-dorm room to drink from a sweet box of Franzia Chillable Red and watch quite possibly the LEAST APPROPRIATE DATE MOVIE EVER: American Psycho.

Instead of feeling romantic, part of me just feared for my life.

Faith @ For the Health of It August 1, 2011 at 8:37 am

There was one {first and last!} date where the guy was 40 minutes late and proceeded to say “hey, at least it was under an hour!”, and then talked to me all night about Google and computers! Supremely special indeed.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 1, 2011 at 9:08 am

Lucikly, I haven’t had too many bad dates; none that particularly stick out to me anyway!

I teach high schoolers & it’s so funny to watch their “relationships”!

Freya August 1, 2011 at 1:31 pm

1 – you are a GENIUS to create the date sizzle! So simple, and so delicious. I have a jar of the stuff in my fridge and I adore it, and now..I can get more, free of charge! Hooray :-)
2 – I’ve only ever had like…2 dates? With the same guy (my 1st boyfriend) – he took me out on my birthday, and for dessert, cos he knew the waitors, he had them write ‘happy brithday Freya’ in chocolate sauce on my plate :-) The second time we went out was bowling. Awful. I hate bowling.
I did have dates when I was 5 ot 6 though! Once to watch Aladdin at a boy’s house, and the other time – with a different boy! *gasp* – to just ‘hang out’. His mum cooked us baked beans and fish fingers, and I watched him jump on the sofa. Wild times. He’s now a drug addict.

Ani August 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm

We love date syrup! We buy ours online however. We find it’s hard to make one for as cheap considering a pound and half of organic neckline in each jar! Plus the texture is hard to replicate. Does make an awesome sweetener!!

Ani August 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Medjools, as opposed to neckline. Haha! Silly smartphones.:)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles August 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Oooh date syrup, yessss! I don’t even think I ever went on a real “date” until my current knight in shining armor swept me off my feet. And by that I mean I chased him for months and one of his buddies convinced him to take me out. It all worked out!

But once a kid invited me to his (nasty) apartment to watch a sporting event with his (loud and smelly) roommates. I’m no super girly girl, but really? I went. I was the only girl. It blew. And smelled. The kicker? Still dated the kid. Twice.

Becky February 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm

In college, this guy asked me out through mutual friends (his best friend was married to my best friend), and we got coffee downtown. The conversation was so boring. We talked about canned macaroni and cheese that had just gone on the market (and has since been retracted, I believe), and how I thought it was gross, and he thought it sounded great. He got stalkery after that. It was bad.

Pam April 1, 2012 at 11:23 am

I tried making this date syrup and it seems to be a little “runny” What did I do wrong?

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm

How runny is it? It’s not supposed to be really that “thick” since it can be used in place of agave or maple syrup.

Pam April 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm

it’s watery no thickness at all. I have agave and this isn’t close. Maybe my dates were small. IDK

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm

could you try adding more dates to thicken it up? I’m sorry it’s not working for you!