“second is best” chickpea curry burgers

August 4, 2011

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.

August 4, 2011 012

Coming straight from the mouth fingers of a teacher. You can tell I am about ready to go back to school, can’t you?

Sometimes when I get ready to post, I come up with some big elaborate story to entertain you along the way. This time, however, I just couldn’t. I was too excited that I actually had a successful recipe come out of my kitchen for the first time since I made granola two days ago. BUT, before that… it had been nineteen days. Remember that?

Oh, and before I go any further — I must tell you I’m having a hard time thinking of anything that has to do with chickpea burgers because I found out today I go back to school one day earlier than I thought. Get out your violins and play me a sad song please. And yes, I’d like some cheese with that whine. And no, I will not build you a bridge and get over it.

I thought the kids came back on the 19th. Well, apparently they come back on the 18th. That would have been a funny surprise, wouldn’t it? “Hello kids! Meet your crazy teacher who doesn’t have anything ready!” Yikes. Glad that was settled — although, I’m kind of not. Because now I have to live with the reality that I am starting school two weeks from today.

But besides that sad sad news in my life, today’s recipe is brought to you by my new curry powder bottle!August 1, 2011 003

I was going to write something about how it was 3 ounces — like how I could smuggle it on a plane just in case my curry cravings seem to be too much and I needed to pour them over my dry roasted peanuts. But then I remember that: 1) I think you can have “powdery substances” over 3 ounces — although maybe not because that sounded suspicious and 2) I can’t eat those darn dry roasted peanuts anyways. Rats.

August 4, 2011 004
I don’t know where my curry obsession has come from all of a sudden, but it’s like I neeeed it — I have to have it. It’s a want actually.. not a need. I think I have always been afraid of curry powder because so many people have told me not to eat it because curry powders can be iffy if (haha two if’s in a row!) you have a gluten sensitivity. Then I read conflicting views — yes it’s okay, no it’s not. I took matters into my own hands and actually read a label. Um, yes I can have this curry powder, thankyouverymuch.

August 1, 2011 004
So off I went on my second attempt at chickpea burgers, much like how I need multiple attempts at doing this workout before it ever seems easy to me. Goodness gracious, guess who got it right on the second time? That would be moi — and if you’re confused that is “me” in French. Although, I’m sure you got that. What was wrong with my last ones? Too liquidy and not enough binding them together.

The solution? No zucchini (too much liquid!) and more oats. Done and done.

August 4, 2011 005

Second is the Best” Chickpea Curry Burgers (makes 6 patties)
inspired by my curry powder

• 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/3 cup gluten free oats
  • 2 carrots, shredded
  • 1/4 cup onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp. curry powder
  • 1 tbsp. barbecue sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Place your oats, carrots, onion, and garlic cloves in a food processor (note: if you don’t have a food processor, use a blender to break apart the oats and hand shred/mince everything else). Once the carrots are shredded, add your chickpeas to the food processor and pulse until the mixture is still “chunky”. Add your spices and barbecue sauce and pulse to mix. Using your hands, divide the mixture into six equal sized portions and roll into balls, flattening them to make patties. Each patty should be about 1/4 — 1/2 inch high. On a greased sheet (or silpat), bake the patties in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes on each side.

Enjoy on a hamburger bun with your favorite toppings or on top of a salad!

August 4, 2011 010
These are crisp and crunchy on the outside, and warm and soft on the inside — just the way a veggie burger should be.

Glad I got these on the second try. First is the worst, second is the best… and you know what they say about the third.

August 4, 2011 016

Third is the one with the hairy chest. There, I said it.

Question: What was your favorite part about the first day of the school year when you were younger?

Kendayl August 4, 2011 at 5:29 pm

These look delicious! I’ll definitely be making this! Chelsey I feel your agony on going back to school; however I don’t go back for teacher work week until Aug. 29 (the kids come Sept. 6) but the days are flying by!!

cleaneatingchelsey August 4, 2011 at 5:42 pm

SEPTEMBER 6?!?!? UGGGH! :)

Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice August 4, 2011 at 5:36 pm

My favourite thing about the first day was always the nice new outfit I’d pick out for it! I’m such a girl. But…i loved all the crisp new note books, pencils etc.

Also – I have a sneaking suspicion that regardless if they showed up one day early, you would be perfectly golden. I bet you are a great teacher!

Sarah September 1, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I agree Jayme! The nice new outfit (picked out daysssss before of course) and all the new supplies!

Can’t wait to make these burgers, Chelsea!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 4, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Yum! I love a crispy on the outside veggie burger! :) My favorite part about going back to school was getting new school supplies. lol. Yes I’m a nerd. I also really enjoyed getting out at around 1 PM for the first few weeks because my school was too old to have air conditioning!

Jackie Smith August 4, 2011 at 5:46 pm

This will make you feel better–I have to start next Thursday. Boo!

I do love the possibilities of a new school year, though!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 4, 2011 at 6:11 pm

They look soooo good!

Good luck with your return to work…ugh! Vacations are never long enough!

Sam August 4, 2011 at 6:28 pm

You guys are going back so quickly it seems!

I really want to try making on of these buggers! They look so amazingly good. Second looks the best to me!!

Sweet and Savvy August 4, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Looks awesome! We go back the 18th..:/

Ashley August 4, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I cannot believe school is starting back up! Summer just doesn’t last long enough :( It will be nice to see all the little faces again though.

cleaneatingchelsey August 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

::sigh:: I suppose ;)

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 4, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Bookmarked! I definitely want to make these, and I have all the ingredients! Thank goodness I never got around to making that hummus that I bought my can of chick peas for. See? Laziness can pay off sometimes ;) And my favorite part of going back to school was always getting to buy new school supplies. I was a sucker for pencil cases and all that jazz :D

cleaneatingchelsey August 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I loved my Lisa Frank folders and erasers!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 4, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Yum! I have been looking for a good chickpea burger recipe…thanks! I loved the first day of school as a kid, my favourite part was buying new supplies and picking out my outfit. Nothing really school related haha :)

cleaneatingchelsey August 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

YESS! I loved picking out my outfit!

Katie @ Raisins&Apples August 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Looks awesome!

What buns did you use? I’ve had gluten-free buns from a specialty bakery, but they were super dry and icky.

cleaneatingchelsey August 4, 2011 at 7:02 pm

These are Rudi’s GF hamburger buns! They are amazing! They don’t fall apart at all!

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun August 4, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Those look really good! I love chickpea burgers…I’ll have to try this one!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 4, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I can’t believe how early schools start in the US! Here we don’t start school until the second week of September! When I was a kid my favourite thing about the first day of school was getting to use all my new binders, pens, etc. :P

These burgers look amazing!

Jess@HealthyExposures August 4, 2011 at 7:54 pm

These. look. so. good. I go through phases with curry powder, too! And now that you mention it…it’s about time I brought it back into my life. I think it’s been months!

Carly D. @ CarlyBananas August 4, 2011 at 8:05 pm

These look delicious! I am a huge fan of curry powder. Yummmy.

Pure2raw twins August 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm

YUM!! Lately I am on a cumin kick…and a little cayenne too.

cleaneatingchelsey August 4, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Oh I always love cumin! It’s the best!!

kaila@ healthy helper blog! August 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm

These look absolutely fabulous!!! And the pics are gorgeous. You make food look so pretty :)

cleaneatingchelsey August 5, 2011 at 6:24 am

Why thank you! Since we’re on the theme of saying corny things… practice makes perfect! :)

Molly August 4, 2011 at 8:38 pm

my mom always took “back to school pictures” i loved that :)

cleaneatingchelsey August 5, 2011 at 6:24 am

My mom didn’t, but I made her take a picture of me before my first day as a teacher. :)

Katie August 4, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I’m sure this won’t surprise you, but I loved everything about the first day of school. I was the kid who got excited when they started the back to school sales earlier and earlier every year.

You forgot one – Want me to call the WAH-mbulance? Hahahahaha

cleaneatingchelsey August 5, 2011 at 6:24 am

DARNIT! I forgot about the wah-mbulance!!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles August 4, 2011 at 8:54 pm

“inspired by my curry powder”-love it!! No worries, my granola the other day was the only recipe I’ve EVER gotten right on the first try. It usually takes me more than two…

I hated when my mom would finish that rhyme with “treasure chest”. Clearly she didn’t understand the joy I got out of informing my younger sister she had a hairy chest. And OF COURSE the best part about the first day of school was new clothes and shiny new kicks!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 4, 2011 at 8:57 pm

This will make me sound like a nerd, but I loved shopping for school supplies. There’s just something about the smell of new paper and pencils that gets me excited for back to school season…even though I’m no longer going back!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food August 4, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I also have a slight…no, wait…a very large curry obsession! My aunt used to have tea parties for her garden club and she would make little curry chicken tea sandwiches and I’ve been in love ever since! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

cleaneatingchelsey August 5, 2011 at 6:26 am

ooo those sound good! Now I want to make a tofu curry salad!

Missy August 4, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Dand, girl!

I still haven’t got may act together enough to make these marvels

Now what? Do I put this recipe on 2nd? or bump it up to first?
I need to get moving!
Oh, the conundrums you cause in my life. JK. <— do people even use JK anymore?

cleaneatingchelsey August 5, 2011 at 6:26 am

Oh goodness, that’s a toughy! I love those persnickity burgers! :) I use JK all the time.

Grace August 4, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I feel like the whole first week is a fashion show where you get minimal work and maximum socializing time! It’s funny to think back because college is so different than grade school!

cleaneatingchelsey August 5, 2011 at 6:27 am

Yes, the first week is a fashion show! My mom always gave us $300 for school clothes shopping. I got the most bang for my buck!

Amy Franklin August 5, 2011 at 12:31 am

Hey Chelsey!

Loved to see your spice from Target…my hubby and I actually met while we were working at Target back in high school….love that store! Now that we live out of the country, we love it even more. Our first trip to Target during our trips back to the states takes about 3 hours, just to peruse, and admire! Great job on the Chickpea burgers…they look delicious!

My favorite part about the first day of the school year was actually two things, a: not having to do anything super hard because it was the first day back (read: syllabus overview, meeting new teacher/classmates, etc) and b: seeing what friends were in my class! Loved the first day of school ( I was totally one of those nerds back in elementary school that cried on the last day of school because I had to say good-bye to my teacher, etc) Enjoy!

cleaneatingchelsey August 5, 2011 at 6:27 am

I’m a total target girl! My best friends and I used to go there just about every other day in college! :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 5, 2011 at 3:53 am

Yummy! I love chickpeas flavoured with curry, I bet these are delish :)

My favourite part of going back to school was new books and stationery! I’m such a nerd that way.

You go back to school really early!

Kate August 5, 2011 at 6:08 am

These look AWESOME! I’m a huge fan of curry powder too, and I never thought to use it that way! guess I know what I’m having for dinner tonight :)

I always loved choosing a special outfit for the first day of school and laying out my brand new bookbag and supplies and labeling all of my notebooks so they’d be ready to go the night before…..ok actually I still do that. And I’m starting graduate school this fall….some things never change I guess!

cleaneatingchelsey August 5, 2011 at 6:29 am

I loved that too! And I just loved the “feeling” of walking to class the first day – especially on the first day of college. Talk about a grown up. ;)

Rebecca August 5, 2011 at 8:31 am

Those are amazing looking chickpea burgers. I can’t believe its almost time for kids to start back to school, it doesn’t even seem like they’ve been out long. My favorite part of the school year growing up was the newness of everything. New classes, teachers, and supplies to use :D

Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 5, 2011 at 8:37 am

Those look so good! Curry is either hit or miss with me…I’m gonna give these a try though, I trust you!

Marissa August 5, 2011 at 8:38 am

I go back to school on the 18th, too! Senior year. I’m excited. The beginning of the school year always reminds me of being a little kid again because everything’s kinda brand-new and different. Scrambling around trying to find new classrooms, trying to get the feel of new teachers, a new schedule, figuring out where to sit in the cafeteria…

Lisa @ Healthy Diaries August 5, 2011 at 10:16 am

I totally loved picking out the outfit I was going to wear! I’d usually buy something new and tried to look super cute! :)

These burgers look great. It’s been a while since I made my own veggie\bean burgers!

Freya August 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm

OH CEC – recipe of my dreams! Curry + chickpeas = best thing ever :-)

Meghan August 5, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Glad that you had success this time! I love all things chickpeas so I will definitely have to try these :)

Megan@eatmybeets August 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Ah I looove curry! Two weeks ago I was on a HUGE curry kick but I’ve recently not used it as much. Definitely going to have to change that soon. Those burgers look delicious :-) I remember I used to not be able to sleep well before my first day of school because I was so excited!

Susie September 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Hi, these look great! Do you think I would be able to make them and freeze them before cooking? Then defrost and cook as required? Thanks.

cleaneatingchelsey September 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm

i’m sure you could! I also just made my batch and then froze what I didn’t want to use at the moment!

Khushboo December 28, 2011 at 9:26 pm

These look yummy, I am on a curry powder kick! Then again I am Indian so that may explain it :) ! I used to love the first day back because of all the new stationery…Lisa Frank played a role :)

becky oliver November 14, 2012 at 6:04 pm

hi. can i swap the oats for quinoa??

cleaneatingchelsey November 15, 2012 at 7:07 am

I think so!

Gina Stryker December 7, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Just want to say how much I enjoy reading posts. You have a great personality!!! I just got diagnosed with celiac’s and was thinking ” now what”. I’m 48 and finally understand what vegan is and why. Now I know why I felt guilty eating meat. Thank you for great ideas for a new life style. ( now getting my husband on board ..lol).

cleaneatingchelsey December 8, 2012 at 6:42 am

:) Thanks Gina!

Mel April 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Did you add sunflower seeds to the mix as well? These are in the oven right now, but they were a little too mushy in consistency I think… We’ll see what comes out, I maybe pulsed too many times and took too much of the chunk out.