long awaited pumpkin protein muffin

October 7, 2011

I’m a big late night snacker.

October 5, 2011 043
I have never been, nor will I ever be, one of those girls who can eat dinner and just be done for the night. Are you kidding me? In between 8 and 10 o’clock at night is basically my prime snacking time — that is, of course, if I make it until 10:00 (which is highly unlikely).

I go through phases with my nighttime snacks. I went through a granola phase. I’ve gone through a coconut milk ice cream phase. I’ve gone through a peanut butter toast phase. Right now, I’m in my protein muffin phase.

October 5, 2011 041
So technically that’s not the whole truth — I’m in a “protein muffin with some greek yogurt on top with some apple slices, raisins, and peanut butter” phase. There, I said it. You now know my deepest and darkest of secrets.

I guess there was this one time where I mentioned a pumpkin protein muffin recipe, and everyone jumped on me like I was with holding the key to happiness (I was). And that’s technically not the whole truth either because I’m pretty sure I dangled that protein muffin thing in front of you for at least five WIAW’s.

I’m sure you have heard that patience is a virtue.

I have trained you well, my young grasshoppers.

It is time.

Pumpkin Protein Muffin

Serves: 1
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 6 minutes

• 1 scoop Sunwarrior protein powder
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. ground flax + 3 tbsp. warm water, left to sit for ~3 minutes)
  • cooking spray

First things first — grab those ingredients!

October 5, 2011 001
Spray an individual baking dish (or mug) with cooking spray.

October 5, 2011 008
Add your 1 scoop protein powder, cinnamon, and baking soda to your baking dish. Give it a whirl with a fork to mix it all up.

October 5, 2011 015

Once the protein powder mixture is well incorporated, add your pumpkin, flax egg, and vanilla to the dish.

October 5, 2011 018

October 5, 2011 019
Stir, stir, stir until it’s all mixed up.

October 5, 2011 021

And microwave this bad boy for 3 minutes. Let it sit for about one minute. It should come out looking something like this.

October 5, 2011 034

You’re not done quite yet! Take a butter knife and loosen the muffin away from the edges.

October 5, 2011 035
And flip your baking dish over onto a small plate. 10 points to anyone who can figure out where I got my baking dish from!

October 5, 2011 036

You’ll be left with a delicious protein muffin, ready to be devoured!

October 5, 2011 039

There are a few great things about protein muffins. For one, the clean up is quite minimal.

October 5, 2011 022

Second, they are quick to make and filling to eat. And last but not least, they are a blank canvas for many toppings! I never just stop with the protein muffin. There is always something on top of it — jams, nut butters, Greek yogurt — the possibilities are endless.

October 5, 2011 045

Question: Are you a late night snacker? What is your favorite late night snack?

Lauren October 7, 2011 at 6:03 am

I was JUST thinking about making a pumpkin buckwheat bake! I was surprised not to see one yet but this is just as good if not better.

Khushboo October 7, 2011 at 6:06 am

This looks FAB- hellllo protein! I am the ultimate late night snacker–> hungry or not, my night doesn’t feel complete without one! I look fwd to it as by then I’m literally just chilling and life seems so stress-free! I’m going through a Kashi GoLean, natural yogurt, applesauce, almonds+pb phase…and sometimes I’ll chuck in a few choc chips for good measure ;) !

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 7, 2011 at 6:11 am

I am a total late night snacker- in fact, I need to cut back. I need to fix something like this and stop eating, but why is it so hard to stop? Especially when I’m mindlessly eating during Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, or Happy Endings?!
I’ll have to give this thing a whirl, it looks like the perfect breakfast to take to school as well! Mmm! Thank you for making us wait, now we waited so long- it will be the first thing on all of our baking lists this weekend! :)
HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 7, 2011 at 6:11 am

NICE!
I do something fairly similar with bananas + oats and call them microwave banana cakes and sometimes I add prot powder but not usually. Your cakes look great!

“In between 8 and 10 o’clock at night is basically my prime snacking time ” <— mine is even later and I think I ingest most of my RDA of sugar in those hours :) I cannot sleep if I dont have a full belly of snacks, i.e. desserts :)

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign October 7, 2011 at 6:16 am

Mmm, this sounds great! And simple to make!

I’m not a nighttime snacker, but more of a morning one. I swear I eat more between 6 and 11am than I do all day!

cleaneatingchelsey October 7, 2011 at 6:18 am

That makes more sense – it’s better to frontload calories!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 7, 2011 at 6:16 am

The appears to be a Crate & Barrel dish?! AKA, the happiest place on earth! :-)

I am definitely a snacker!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 7, 2011 at 6:21 am

I am a huge late night snacker! Haha right now I am in a granola phase, but I think it might be time to crack open a jar of pumpkin :D

cleaneatingchelsey October 7, 2011 at 7:26 am

Can I let you in on a secret? THe only reason why I’m not in a granola phase is because I’m out of granola and I’m too lazy to make more. ;)

Lauren October 7, 2011 at 6:32 am

Mmm, I can see this being added to my night time snack rotation. I look forward to my night time snacks and plan them out in my mind while during homework. Last night, it was a heated up apple cinnamon muffin topped with nut butter + almond milk.

cleaneatingchelsey October 7, 2011 at 7:27 am

If I were on facebook, I would “like” this.

Sam @ owlmazing October 7, 2011 at 6:43 am

I am definitely a late night snacker and i love me some toast and peanut butter!I also definitely could not go from dinner till bed without food! what is that?? Maybe I will have to try this pumpkin protein muffin sometime…

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 7, 2011 at 6:53 am

I always have to have something around 8:30 or 9:00. Usually some dark chocolate or a scoop of ice cream. My sweet tooth just won’t stop! ;)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 7, 2011 at 6:53 am

Which reminds me – I have been thinking of you every night while I have my dark chocolate treat. ;)

cleaneatingchelsey October 7, 2011 at 7:27 am

And I have been thinkign of you when I have my dark chocolate after dinner! :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 7, 2011 at 7:21 am

I am definitely a late night snacker! I have to have something after dinner and I am definitely trying this out!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 7, 2011 at 7:32 am

I need to go buy a ramekin and protein powder so that I can make this!

I always have a night time snack, otherwise I wake up starving in the middle of the night. My favourite combo is vanilla Greek yogurt, berries, and cereal!

Lindsey October 7, 2011 at 7:39 am

That’s going to be my breakfast right now! I eat supper later (7-7:30pm) so unless I am up past 10pm, which is rare, I don’t snack much.

Faith @ For the Health of It October 7, 2011 at 7:44 am

Taco Bell (ahem, Toxic Hell) invented fourthmeal for a reason…sometimes ya can’t just quit after three ;)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 7, 2011 at 7:57 am

Omggg…This looks so good! :) I am definitely a snacker at night and I don’t necessarily see it as a good thing! I’m working on it!

Do you think this recipe would work with a Chia egg?

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 7, 2011 at 8:19 am

Even though I JUST said in my guest post for Janetha that I was tired of all things pumpkin…I’m SO making this tonight!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 7, 2011 at 8:19 am

YUMMY! I’m definitely a late night snacker…and by late night I mean 9pm :) . I am always super hungry like an hour and a half after dinner so there’s no way I could go without eating. That muffin sounds fantastic.

AmandaRunsNY October 7, 2011 at 8:29 am

I am not a late night snacker. I’m more of a late night drinker…..hahaha. But my boyfriend calls 9pm the witching hour and is forever trying to have a cookie or ice cream at that time. I’m trying to turn him on to salads instead. Can you guess how well this is working out?

Felicia @ Natural + Balanced October 7, 2011 at 9:15 am

im a snacker! i eat dinner around 5, and by 8 i need something again, especially since i work out right in the morning. love making single serve protein muffins :) i haven’t done it with pumpkin yet so i’ll try this!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 7, 2011 at 9:19 am

This looks great! I’m definitely a late night snacker too – something I’ve been trying to decrease just a tad. I, too, know that I could never be one of those that just stops eating right after dinner though. There’s usually always some sort of snack. I also go in phases… right now it’s a granola and/or cereal phase. About a month ago it was ice cream. We’ll see what the next phase is – possibly pumpkin protein muffins?! ;)

chelcie October 7, 2011 at 9:44 am

I’m definitely a late night snacker which honestly I really hate doing, because I feel like once I start I can’t stop. I’ve noticed its good to eat one filling thing then a bunch of non-filling little items. This muffin looks so good I can’t wait to try it!

Liz @ iheartvegetables October 7, 2011 at 10:22 am

I am a HUGE late night snacker! and this sounds delicious!!! I’m bookmarking this one :)

nicole @ simply Nicole October 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

not a huge late night snacker, but my boyfriend is. So I’ll usually have a cottage cheese double! The kind with fruit on the side! So delish.

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 7, 2011 at 10:31 am

I just started at the computer screen with a huge “I HAVE ALL THAT STUFF!!!!!” grin on my face.

that’s being made. tonight.

and thank you for also being a crazy latenight snacker. I’m out of control.

Corrina_R October 7, 2011 at 10:43 am

That looks so good. I don’t have a microwave tho, any suggestions for baking it in the oven??

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas October 7, 2011 at 10:55 am

Am I a nighttime snacker?! Is this a trick question? LOL

I LOVE banana soft serve and just yesterday I dipped a spoon into…chocomole a.k.a. chocolate heaven!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 7, 2011 at 11:28 am

Haha I try not to be but of COURSE I am. I also went through the coconut milk ice cream phase – the So Delicious ones are yum! Then I went through a VitaMuffin phase, which is similar to this I guess – high-fibre and protein muffin. So I for sure want to give this one a try! Microwaved in 3 minutes? That’s ridiculously easy!

janae jacobs October 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I really don’t understand how people can not snack at night! Girl, that muffin looks good and I love all of the extra toppings that you throw on top:) Have an amazing weekend!

Jenna (A Fit Girl's Martini) October 7, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I am definitly a late night snacker.

I love to cut an apple into slices, sprinkle with cinnamon, and heat in the microwave for 40 seconds. Top with a squirt of whipped cream and a few dark chocolate chips.

Amazing!

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) October 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I am totally like you. I could never be done after dinner. I also go through phases.
I think I went through my peanut butter toast phase for 2 years, at least. I just recently went through a granola phase, but I’m out of it now so I’ve been forced to replace it with chocolate. Sucks, I know…

Jackie @ That Deep Breath October 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm

This looks great! It may have to make an appearance for breakfast tomorrow!!

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land October 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I just finished eating a pumpkin protein muffin for lunch. With fresh raspberries from the farmers market. Mmmm. It was gooood! I make mine with eggs instead of protein powder so I will have to try your version and compare. :) I wonder how it would work out with chocolate Sun Warrior?

cleaneatingchelsey October 7, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I’m sure it will be delicious!

Amy October 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Do u add flax to an egg? This looks so good I’m def going to try it. Also, hows the Sun Warrior protein powder? I always use Dymatize

cleaneatingchelsey October 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I made a flax egg – basicall you take 1 tbsp. flax and mix it with 3 tbsp. warm water and let it sit for a few minutes. It gels and takes on the consistency of an egg, which can be used in vegan baking!

Michaela October 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm

def a late night snacker, especially if I have to do some work later (for university for example) and this muffin seems like the perfect treat :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm

While I’m sure this is good as a snack, I’m envisioning tomorrow’s breakfast loaded with toppings :)

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun October 7, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Mmm…that looks good. I’m going to have to try it. My favorite nighttime snack is banana bread smeared with almond butter. And when I say smeared, I mean more than 1 Tbsp :)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 7, 2011 at 4:51 pm

ALWAYS a late night snacker! I’m in a coconut milk yogurt phase now. This looks AH-mazing though!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 7, 2011 at 4:58 pm

This looks amazing! Well worth the wait! I love the addition of flax!!!

Pure2raw twins October 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm

love it!!! I try not to be a late night snacker but it does happen from time to time :)

Lilly October 7, 2011 at 8:37 pm

This may be a dumb question but how much is a scoop of sun warrior, like two tablespoons? This looks amazingly tasty but I have a different type of protein powder and no scoop with it and I want to make sure the measurements are right. :)

cleaneatingchelsey October 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I think it is 2 tbsp. :)

Leah October 7, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Also wondering how this can be made sans microwave?? Looks delish! You’ve got me on a pumpkin kick…I’ve been making pumpkin/peanut butter shakes: frozen pumpkin, almond milk, pb, and spices plus a little agave to sweeten it up. I’m wondering how much pumpkin it takes to turn orange.

cleaneatingchelsey October 8, 2011 at 6:31 am

hmmm I would say 375 for 15 or 20 minutes? I would keep checking it with a toothpick until it comes out clean. I’ve never done it in the oven, but that’s just what I think (and make sure your baking dish is oven safe).

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles October 7, 2011 at 11:49 pm

pinned! Can’t wait to make this :)

Tammy October 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Can your protein pumpkin muffin recipe be multiplied by 12 to make a whole batch in muffin tins?

Anne October 8, 2011 at 9:07 pm

This look delicious!

Just curious though if you think they could be oven baked… this way I could make a batch in a muffin tin all at one time! Idk if they would turn out the same. What time/temp would you suggest??

cleaneatingchelsey October 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I would say 375 for 15-20 minutes? Not completely sure!

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm

i am a HUGE late night snacker. something i am constantly working on, actually. i try and keep it relatively healthy but, like you, 8 – 10 p.m. is prime snackage time!

Holly October 9, 2011 at 4:58 pm

These sound awesome! Love how easy they are to make- makes them even better. :) Just wanted to complement you on your pictures too- what an eye you have for photography. I always think it’s funny to say pictures of food are ‘pretty,’ but seriously your pictures are really pretty!

Caitlin October 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I just made one of these and topped it with vanilla yogurt. yum!

Olviya November 1, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I tried making your pumkin protien muffin 3 times and was unsuccesful!

It was delicous, but gooey…definately not muffin-like
I used a different brand of protein powder so I’m guessing that might be it? Or maybe my “scoop ” was bigger/smaller than yours? Any suggestions?

P.S. I love your blog! I recently found it through another blog and follow it daily:) Keep up the great posts

cleaneatingchelsey November 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm

That stinks! I had another person tell me theirs exploded! My scoop is 2 tbsp. of protein powder. If it’s still gooey after that, try reducing the pumpkin amount.

Olviya November 1, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Okay I feel silly! I just read Lilly’s post and got my answer. Ill try it again with 2 TBS

Christa November 16, 2011 at 9:58 am

Just made this and topped with homemade apple butter. Absolutely delicious!!! Thanks for a great recipe!

Kelly January 29, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I just also tried in the oven….used probably a little more than 2 tbsp of protein powder (I used half of my powder’s scoop), cooked them at 450 for….um….35 minutes. I started the timer at 10 minutes and checked them every ten. After 35 min I had muffins that were burned on the outside and contemplating turning into something delicious on the inside. Oh well. My kitchen smells delicious, though, so it was totally worth it :-) I will try again at a lower temp….maybe that would help? I’ve never made homemade muffins before so I was really just guessing.
Anyway, I LOVE the idea of this recipe, so thank you!! I’ll keep trying :-)

Tim February 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm

This looks so good. My last attempt to make one was a disaster. I’m not using that specific protein powder, so I am not sure if it’s the protein, the amount (because I don’t know the size of your scoop), or the microwave, but it exploded all over the microwave. It was a mess and I had to toss the whole thing out. I was so disappointed that I didn’t try again. Perhaps tonight I will try again.

Tim February 9, 2012 at 8:01 pm

So I tried it again and it worked out pretty well this time.

Madi Ford February 11, 2012 at 11:03 am

going to thaw out my homemade pumpkin puree right now so I can make this later. this looks absolutely amazing! I can’t wait to see how it is going to taste with my homemade sunbutter! yum yum yum!

Amanda February 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Oh my gosh this is so freaking yummy! I just made it for the first time and couldn’t believe how good it is, although it shouldn’t be that surprising since every recipe of yours I have tried comes out delicious! Anyways, I did a little soy yogurt and almond butter on top…perfection :) but I will of course be trying some different toppings next time

And even though this was my mid morningish snack today i will definitely have to use it as a late night snack too :)

Kristen February 26, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Hello!! This sounds great for someone like me who has to watch my gluten intake and carb intake for diet purposes. It doesnt seem like there would be a lot of carbs in this but do you think you could give me an idea of the carb count? Thanks so much and I LOVE your blog :)

Kelly March 3, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Persistence pays off —third time’s the charm! I used the microwave instead of the oven, used different dishes than the last time I microwaved, and came out with 8 awesome muffins!! Can’t wait to experiment with some of the delicious additions you suggested as well! :)

Eileen April 27, 2012 at 10:17 am

Yum – just made this for my mid-morning snack. Added some raisins and topped it with plain greek yogurt. Love!! Next time, topping it with peanut butter or almond butter. Thanks for the great recipe :)

Sadie April 29, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I looove nighttime snacks. I am currently obsessed with chocolate coconut covered strawberries. 1/2 T coconut butter, 1/2 T almond butter, 1 T maple syrup, 1/2 T carob; mix together and cover strawberries then freeze until solid!

Ashley Pomes June 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I am so happy I found this recipe. It looks so good I cannot wait to try it. I have been looking for one without egg since I found out I am allergic. Also my nutritionist said this is a great recipe too which makes me double excited.

Elisabeth Burack October 21, 2012 at 9:53 pm

These look amazing! We have been looking for a great autumnal breakfast treat, so thank you for posting this! We will definitely be trying them!
xox Liz and Lo {celesteandpearl.blogspot.com}

Dana September 22, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Just found this, and can I say yum? I did make a few alterations (my protein powder has no sweetener so I added some trivia, I know, I know, GMOs…), I didn’t have pumpkin but I did have sweet potato baby food which worked well in a pinch, and I added a bit of pumpkin pie spice. Remade it this morning it was so good! Thank you!

Jennifer October 18, 2013 at 9:22 am

I absolutely love this recipe. I use Lean Whey and my scoop seems small (maybe 2 T.) so I double it (for a total of 25 grams of protein, about a quarter cup) and it works perfectly. I have even replaced the pumpkin with apple sauce and added blueberries. I will be trying some different toppings. I was so excited when I first tried this, I had to show my bf. He also loves this. The first time I used too small of a bowl and it was a bit of a hairy situation. :) haha…. Best food pin on Pinterest!!!! Thank you.

Stacy @Stacy Makes Cents January 11, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I made this for breakfast – I used a little stevia in the batter. And I iced the top with sweetened cream cheese. It kept me full for a long time. Thanks!