pumpkin pie confession

October 21, 2011

Thanks to all who donated on behalf of Bella. The winner of the prize package is Noel! Please email me to claim your goodies!

Can I let you in on a little secret?

October 20, 2011 015

You seriously can’t tell anyone.

October 20, 2011 014

This could be my deepest, darkest confession.

The truth is, as much as I love pumpkin.. and pumpkin flavored things, I’m not really a fan of pumpkin pie. I might as well be shunned from my family on Thanksgiving and Christmas this year because I don’t know if I have ever admitted that before.

There’s something about the actual texture of pumpkin pie that I can do without. Sure, I love me some pumpkin bread.. and some pumpkin ice cream… and pumpkin coffee… and pumpkin, well, everything — but a big slice of pumpkin pie? Meh, I can do without it.

There’s something left to be desired when it comes to pumpkin pie. Maybe a little crunch? A little chew? A little less of the “I feel like I’m eating baby food” feeling? Whatever it is, I might just be mad because I’ve been too lazy to make my own pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas for the past two years. Talk to me again in November if I try to attempt it.

October 20, 2011 016
I used to be a big pumpkin pie freak — that is until I realized how much I loved apple pie and chocolate. Maybe I should make a chocolate pumpkin pie? Now I’m onto something.

Until then, I’m going to continue to make pumpkin pie flavored things. Because it’s like the real thing.. but better. All of the flavors of pumpkin pie but without that weird texture that is making me scrunch up my nose right now in disgust.

The other day I saw Allie post about how she found Pumpkin Spice Roasted Almonds at the store, and my mind has been thinking of nothing else since. But seeing that a) I’m cheap and b) I’m cheap — I figured I could whip my own up in less than 30 minutes.

I’m thinking of putting up a barricade in between my living room and my kitchen. Somehow I keep finding my way back in there to take just “one more taste”. That was okay… 30 tastes ago.

October 20, 2011 006

Would you judge me if these roasted nuts were most likely going to be gone by the end of the day? And that I am the only one who has eaten them? And that I just giggled like a school girl when I typed “roasted nuts”?

Judge away.

Margaret @ Have A Good Run October 21, 2011 at 6:04 am

I’m so with you! I love pumpkin baked goods but I cannot stand pumpkin pie – go figure. These almonds look delicious, I’ll have to try them myself!

Lauren October 21, 2011 at 6:04 am

I’m not a fan of pumpkin pie either. But I am so glad you posted this recipe because I’ve been looking everywhere for those new Planters Pumpkin almonds. Now I can just make them myself.

katie October 21, 2011 at 6:07 am

I am not a pumpkin pie lover either! I just love everything else pumpkin!

These look great! Yummy!!

Happy Friday!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 21, 2011 at 6:09 am

These look amazing!! Haha your secret is save with me! I love all pumpkin things though :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 21, 2011 at 6:12 am

omg those would be deadly for me….like, i could take down the whole batch in about 14 seconds. AMAZING!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 21, 2011 at 6:12 am

oh and I’m pinning this to my pumpkin board on pinterest, stat.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 21, 2011 at 8:34 am

Love that you have a Pumpkin Pinterest board! ;)

Amy B @ Second City Randomness October 21, 2011 at 6:14 am

I’m not a big fan of pumpkin pie, either. I think it’s almost too overwhelming… if that makes sense? The ratio is all off…

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 21, 2011 at 6:14 am

Yum! I love that you make what YOU want to make- whatever it is that you are craving or wanting to reinvent. Oh, and one more thing-
HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

char @ char on a mission October 21, 2011 at 6:17 am

What a great almond idea (for the cheap ;) ) and love the new ‘print the recipe’ with the picture. I think you’re onto something there, as well. I need me some pumpkin pie-like things because can I let you in on a little secret? I’ve always hated pumpkin pie…until I tried it last year. But now, I want a vegan version, so I really can’t see myself eating it until that happens. Almonds are such a good replacement for now, though!

Liz October 21, 2011 at 6:19 am

Oh wow, these look awesome. I’ve been loving almonds to snack on lately so these would be just the (seasonal) treat. BTW, I can’t believe you don’t like pumpkin pie – it has been my favorite pie for YEARS! But I know it’s definitely a love it or hate it type of thing.

Rachael @ Happy Healthy Runner October 21, 2011 at 6:24 am

I’m pretty much shunned in my family because I don’t like pumpkin pie either – it’s definitely a texture thing because I’m obsessed with everything else pumpkin. It’s nice to know I’m not alone and that other people have weird texture issues with stuff like that too!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 21, 2011 at 6:26 am

These look incredible – I can almost smell them roasting! Can’t wait to try this recipe.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 21, 2011 at 6:34 am

You’ve never had my grandmas pumpkin pie! Her crust is like heaven….i think you’d be a convert LOL! Those almonds look incredible! I am sure the house smelled amazing when they were cooking!

Rebecca October 21, 2011 at 6:44 am

Those look so addicting. I’m not in love with pumpkin pie either…which is why I make pumpkin cheesecake :)

cleaneatingchelsey October 21, 2011 at 7:50 am

loooove pumpkin cheesecake. That reminds me of one of my best friends.

Kerry October 21, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I make my pumpkin cheesecake with an Oreo crust. Delish!

Val October 21, 2011 at 6:47 am

Sounds so good:)

Lindsay @ biking before bed October 21, 2011 at 7:00 am

I’m not judging you. These wouldn’t last an hour in my house. I’m impressed that you recreated these. I have been thinking about them since I read Allie’s post too!

An inspiration for you.

cleaneatingchelsey October 21, 2011 at 7:51 am

Oh you would… you would Lindsay!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} October 21, 2011 at 7:08 am

Whaaaaaaat? Pumpkin pie is the absolute best form to eat pumpkin you silly girl! :-) I’ll forgive you, though, because these almonds look pretty amazing.

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 21, 2011 at 7:13 am

Oh yum those look and sound fantastic! And while I do love pumpkin pie, I’m can totally understand why you wouldn’t like something based on the texture- my post today is about that haha. And if you made a chocolate, crunchy, pumpkin pie that would awesome!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 21, 2011 at 7:21 am

Okay, I giggled too at roasted nuts. And I would not judge you one bit if those were all gone! This looks so easy, I’m going to have to try it!

cleaneatingchelsey October 21, 2011 at 7:51 am

Great minds think alike – getting pumped for our run!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 21, 2011 at 7:58 am

me too!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 21, 2011 at 7:29 am

Really?! I can’t believe you don’t like pumpkin pie! I seriously look forward to it all year long. :P

These almonds look amazing though! I don’t blame you for wanting to eat them all in one day – I would too!

Blog is the New Black October 21, 2011 at 7:32 am

Although I’m not a pumpkin whore like most peeps this time of year, I do enjoy pumpkin flavored things time to time! However, the texture of pumpkin pie? Yea. No.

Britt October 21, 2011 at 7:32 am

I hate pumpkin pie as well, but for the past few years my Momma and I have made a pumpkin ice cream pie on Thanksgiving. It’s amazing, graham cracker/pecan crust, pumpkin and vanilla ice cream…way better than pumpkin pie!

cleaneatingchelsey October 21, 2011 at 7:52 am

why oh why must you tempt me.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 21, 2011 at 7:34 am

Whaaa??? haha. It’s okay – I love pumpkin, and I love beer. However – I am not crazy about pumpkin beer. I always get excited about them, but then after buying one, I’m usually bummed.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count October 21, 2011 at 7:49 am

I’ve recently become an almond FREAK and these look wonderful!!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 21, 2011 at 8:04 am

I’m with ya on the feeling of pumpkin pie – I can do with or without it. As much as I LOVE pumpkin everything else, the texture of pumpkin pie is just not my favorite. You’re totally right when you compare it to a baby food texture! I’ll stick to my pumpkin breads, muffins, cookies, oatmeal, etc. and eat some pecan or apple pie on Thanksgiving thank you very much. ;)

Paige @ Running Around Normal October 21, 2011 at 8:08 am

I used to hate pumpkin pie! Now I love it…only if it has a healthy dollop of whipped cream on top, though ;)
Those roasted nuts (tee hee hee) sound delicious.

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews October 21, 2011 at 8:17 am

Those almonds look unreal! I must make them soon.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 21, 2011 at 8:18 am

You don’t like pumpkin pie?!? That’s craziness!!! But I guess everyone has their thing…. :-)

katie @KatieDid October 21, 2011 at 8:32 am

And that’s the thing I love about pumpkin pie- that odd texture hah! Buttt there’s also nothing like crunchy roasted nuts (lol), these sounds delicious and i bet your house smelled simply amazing. Grind these into a nut butter, I bet it’d be fabulous!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking October 21, 2011 at 8:36 am

I feel the same way about the texture! Last Thanksgiving, I tried a new pumpkin pie recipe from Cook’s Illustrated with sweet potato in it it and it was WONDERFUL. The texture was so silky and smooth – not like baby food at all!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 21, 2011 at 8:41 am

No judging here because that is genius.

And I giggled at roasted nuts before you even said you did. Love you!

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen October 21, 2011 at 9:26 am

You aren’t alone. I feel the same way! I have never liked pumpkin pie! Give me anything else pumpkin and I will love it. The pies texture is just so blah and mushy.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 21, 2011 at 9:57 am

I hate pumpkin pie but love sweet potato. The two are NOT as similar as they make them out to be. I think it’s actually the pumpkin lobby’s doing. Or the jack o lantern society.

nicole @ simply Nicole October 21, 2011 at 10:03 am

I’m not really a pumpkin pie fan myself. But that recipe looks amazing.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 21, 2011 at 10:06 am

1. These pictures are gorgeous!
2. I completely agree with you on the pumpkin pie thing. Go figure that my husband who is not a dessert person at all (crazy, I know) loves pumpkin pie of all things! I’ll continue making pumpkin flavored everything but pie? Not so much.

Felicia @ Natural + Balanced October 21, 2011 at 10:29 am

ouhhh these look so good! honestly i can do without pumpkin pie too. i love everything else pumpkiny though :)

Heather @ Girlyeverafter October 21, 2011 at 11:07 am

I love me some pumpkin pie, but I don’t like pecan pie and am the black sheep on holidays. It’s just too sweet and I have to have ice cream with it, but if I eat ice cream then I’ll be on sugar overload. You see my dilemma? haha

Amber K October 21, 2011 at 11:22 am

I love pumpkin pie – but ONLY if it has whipped cream on top. I just don’t like it otherwise. It doesn’t have to be a dairy-based whipped cream, as long as there’s something there. But my gluten-free pumpkin pie doesn’t even have a crust, so really it’s just like eating pumpkin pie pudding, so maybe that doesn’t even count? Now I’m going to have to post about my pumpkin pie! Because I really want some… ;)

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 21, 2011 at 11:55 am

meh, if you’re weird, so am I. I’m a big texture person, and pumpkin pie just doesn’t have enough crunch to it.

Katie October 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm

These look way too good to be true. I would eat them all in 5 seconds flat.

Brittany @Little b October 21, 2011 at 12:26 pm

These sound awesome but dangerous :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm

i’m not a huge pumpkin pie fan either!! although, if it’s made in a good graham cracker crust with a dollop of whipped cream, that’s a different story. can’t wait to try this recipe!

Lauren October 21, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I don’t think we can be friends anymore. Sorry. Just kidding, I’ll forgive your dislike of pumpkin pie if you start sending me your piece :P

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm

These sound very addictive! :)

Missy October 21, 2011 at 1:35 pm

This post got me thinking about how much better pumkin-pecan pie be instead of pumpkin.
I guess, you’d have to like pecan pie, though.

Save a few of those nuts for your oatmeal, woman!

Cynthia October 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin cheesecake. I love anything pumpkin flavored actually . . . except maybe the pumpkin flavored candy corn. Those are not good at all.

You really should have posted this recipe last week . . . before I bought my pumpkin spice almonds. :) These look amazing!! The ones I bought at the store are tasty, but these look good too . . . and cheaper too! I’ll be making these soon.

Ashley October 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm

omg I’m the same way!!! everyone looks at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them how much I hate pumpkin pie because it’s too gelatinous haha! Glad I’m not alone!!

Brittany October 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I used to HATE pumpkin pie for that same reason! I actually don’t mind it too much now but it is definitely still too mushy. I’d probably still eat it though? I haven’t had it in forever so we’ll see this year! You’re killing me with all these pumpkin recipes. This is definitely one that I will be making.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm

My whole family hates pumpkin pie – I’m the only one that likes it! And I have had ones that were really mushy and I hate those too! But I have had ones that you bake for longer and they get firmer, almost like a cheesecake, and that I can cope with. Texture is EVERYTHING in food!

kaity October 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm

i just found your blog the other day and already made those pumpkin muffins with pb wich makes everythin better and they were amazing (and my fams very skeptical with my desserts they loved them)! now i cant wait to make this! glad i found your blog!!

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land October 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only pumpkin pie flavor lover who seriously dislikes actual pumpkin pie. From my family’s reaction you would think I go around kicking puppies or something. These almonds sound fantastic though–maybe I’ll make these for Thanksgiving dessert and really cause a ruckus!

Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) October 21, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I’m actually the same as you. I’ve never liked pumpkin pie much, it used to make me want to gag, but I’m obsessed with all other things pumpkin. And those pumpkin almonds look dang good!

Izzyy October 21, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I’m SO glad I’m not the only one on this one – I am just not the biggest fan of pumpkin pie! I will eat pumpkinANYthing – even the stuff straight outta the can, straight up. I’m a big texture person as well, though. I cannot stomach cottage cheese, the textre just makes me GAG :\

And since I don’t have magical places like Trader Joes in my viscinity (read: COUNTRY – get on that, Canada!), I don’t have places to buy amazing things like Pumpkin Pie Nuts (hahaa). Recipe: STOLEN!

izzyy

Leah October 21, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Just popped some in the oven…storage container..yeah right, these babies will never last that long.

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee October 22, 2011 at 8:58 am

Mmmm those almonds look delicious!! I personally love pumpkin pie cause of the super creamy texture! :) To me it’s not any different than a very thick smoothie or oatmeal or mashed potatoes.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 22, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Pumpkin pie I can handle, but I like cheesecake better. Maybe I’ll create a better textured pie for ya! No guarantees, I do not claim to be en expert by any means. I just love pumpkin.

I’m making these tomorrow! And probably eating them tomorrow…

Allie@LiveLaughEat October 22, 2011 at 9:45 pm

You recreated them! I wonder how similar they taste. I bet homemade taste better!

cleaneatingchelsey October 23, 2011 at 7:21 am

haha the thing is – I have NO idea if they taste similar because I’ve never had the Planter’s ones. They still have a great roasted pumpkin pie taste though!

elise October 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm

see, i KNEW we were meant to be best friends. i dont like pumpkin pie. never have. but i love pumpkin as a flavor, so its weird. whatever, im weird. additionally, i am way too cheap to buy flavored roasted nuts because thats just something i cannot do. clearly this post of yours has just been bookmarked. yum!
also, jelly (as in jealous) has got to be THE most annoying thing ever.
actually, even more annoying to me is “nom nom nom”

Brooke October 23, 2011 at 10:37 pm

These almonds sound yummy. I will give the recipe a try. Thanks for the recipe.

Phat Chow October 23, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Yo, I feel the same exact way. I always take a slice to fit at thanksgiving gatherings but can never eat more than a couple bites. Love the sweet roasted almond recipe : ) thanks!

Jessica @ Forgiving Jess October 25, 2011 at 10:54 pm

YUMMM! I just made these and they are cooling as I type! Cannot wait to eat a few (which we both know means them all!)

Kara October 26, 2011 at 12:35 pm

i agree completely!! love pumpkin flavor, just not the texture of punkin pie! ickkk! can’t wait to try these!

Sarah October 4, 2012 at 11:57 am

What a great idea! I must make these.

Shelly November 16, 2012 at 11:53 am

Wow, I completely and totally agree! I LOVE pumpkin flavored anything, except pumpkin pie. I too, cannot stand the texture. Really just makes me gag, haha! I have been looking for pumpkin almonds in the store, and have been unsuccessful. Cannot wait to try these. Yummmmy!

Shenna December 1, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Omg I love pumpkin flavor I have been looking all over to find the Planters Almonds can’t find them so I will be making my own!! YAY!!!

anthony January 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm

if i let them soak over night in the mixture will they come out more flavorful?

Melissa October 17, 2013 at 7:42 am

These look so delicious! I love pumpkin spiced anything and have been looking for a way to spice up the almonds I eat. Fantastic!

Hilaire October 29, 2013 at 6:42 pm

My cousin had this link on her Facebook page this morning. I just made them. Yummy. Thank you for a great recipe.

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut October 19, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Well I guess I’m a few years late..but…these look amazing! I would never have even thought to pumpkin spice nuts. giggle.