slow cooker butternut squash and apple soup

October 27, 2011

The Husband is afraid of weird colored foods.

October 27, 2011 004

It’s true. I’m pretty sure that anything that is green, yellow, or orange are in his “off limits” territory when it comes to eating. Guacamole? Not so much — he claims it’s all about the “texture”, but I’m pretty sure it’s because guacamole is green. Brussels sprouts? No siree — although I may or may not have won that battle already. That boy has already eaten brussels sprouts twice in his life.

October 27, 2011 017
I have finally gotten him to enjoy squash in its “whole” form — he loves stuffed acorn squash as long as it is filled with some sort of carb and cheese. I can do that for him.

Now, here’s the thing — I’m not trying to trick the Husband into eating something. I would never do such a thing. What I am trying is to get him to at least try different foods without getting the “86” on the dish I made without him even trying it. Call me a bad wife or tell me that I am bossy, but I think that’s a reasonable request.

Yesterday morning, I  was holding my breath and crossing my fingers that the Husband would like the soup.  As he sat down to dinner, I knew it was coming.

“What’s this?” — he asked.

“Soup.” — I replied

“I can obviously see that. What kiiind of soup is this?” — inquired the Husband.

“Squash soup — butyoureallylikesquashremember?"” — I had to get that one out really fast before he could say he didn’t like it.

“Do I like squash soup?” — the Husband wanted to know.

My usual reply would be something like “yes, of course you do. don’t you remember eating squash soup last year?” But I decided to go with the truth.

“I’m not sure — but there’s only one way to find out.” — holds breath and turns blue.

October 27, 2011 002

I was ready on defense to tell the Husband to try a few bites before he made up his mind. I was almost passing out because my breath was being held for at least 6 hours (did you see the cook time on that slow cooker?).

I, in fact, didn’t want to bring up whether he liked the soup or not. I figured if he didn’t like it, he would just keep it to himself (maybe) and let it be. If I asked, there could be repercussions.

October 27, 2011 006
His response after many saltine filled bites?

“You know.. this soup doesn’t really taste so ‘cleaneatingchelsey.com”’.

October 27, 2011 019
I’m taking that as a “oh my gosh this soup is so good and delicious and creamy that I can’t believe it’s vegan and doesn’t have any dairy in it. You should make me this soup every day for the rest of my life so I can turn orange and we can look orange together and people can make fun of us for the rest of our lives.”

October 27, 2011 009
I’m excellent at reading in between the lines.

The winners of the Sparkly Soul headband giveaway is #185, Beth and #198, Rebecca! Please email me to claim your prizes! For those of you still interested in Sparkly Soul headbands, you can use coupon code CHELSEY for 15% off until Tuesday, November 1st!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 27, 2011 at 5:34 pm

haha! It’s funny how we treat our husbands like they are 5 year olds trying something new. ;)
This looks delicious! I really can’t decide which route I want to go with the butternut sitting on my counter. Roasted, soup, stuffed…so many options!

cleaneatingchelsey October 27, 2011 at 6:10 pm

It’s the only way that it works! haha!

Linz October 27, 2011 at 6:56 pm

it’s funny how they act like 5 year olds!! haha my husband is the same way!!

Jessica @ How Sweet October 27, 2011 at 5:51 pm

i feel your pain… and i’m definitely making this!!

cleaneatingchelsey October 27, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I definitely knew you would. I just had a feeling.

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 27, 2011 at 5:51 pm

love slow cooker soups! this one looks fantastic.

my husband is scared of colored foods as well… and soup. oh well, more for me!

Felicia @ Natural + Balanced October 27, 2011 at 5:58 pm

beautiful photos and serving bowl!! love!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama October 27, 2011 at 6:14 pm

If you think husbands are hard, just wait until you have kids! It’s kind of a myth that you can create a “good eater” by starting them out on healthy, whole foods. Some time between age 2 and 3 they develop a mind of their own and getting them to try new foods is TOUGH. Sounds like you are getting good practice. :-)

cleaneatingchelsey October 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm

haha – my kids are going to be perfect, didn’t you know that? ;) Gaah it will definitely be a struggle with any child!!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 27, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Haha I would take his comment that way too!! And those colors are all the best foods! Especially orange pumpkin.

Alex @ Happicakes October 27, 2011 at 6:36 pm

i can’t wait to make this! my boyfriend is the same way as your husband haha. more for me!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 27, 2011 at 6:38 pm

This looks great!! Glad the husband liked it! Haha I definetly would :)

Lisa Fine October 27, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I love butternut squash soup, and it doesn’t need cream when it’s so thick on its own. Adding apple is a great idea.

Lauren October 27, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Haha! This sounds like an exact convo I would have with my husband!!! Every time I give him something new he immediately asks, “Do I like this…?” What the heck! Like I know? I know I like it and that’s all that matters. :)

Jamie October 27, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I could honestly read your blog just for advice on how to successfully convince my husband that he should try (and he might even like) many of my creations. This post cracked me up. I made a very similar soup recipe and I’ll just say I tried to serve it to him but ended up eating butternut squash apple soup with my lunch all week.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 27, 2011 at 7:19 pm

that looks great and I love that you used a slow cooker. set it and forget it, baby.

i need to dust mine off!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 27, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Awesome pics, yet again, Chelsey! Love that bowl, err, triangle dish.

Simply Life October 27, 2011 at 7:20 pm

ha, I love this post! my husband is very similar- I don’t like him to see me cooking so I can sneak in certain ingredients and then tell him after he’s cleared his plate :)

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves October 27, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I just bought butternut squash and apples. I think it’s fate for me to make this soup this weekend!!! (or just that they are in season and cheap at the grocery store :) )

Katie October 27, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Apples and squash?! This soup is like fall smorgasbord! And your husband sounds a lot like mine. Just yesterday he asked me “Why do you always make things that I might like instead of making things you know I like?” – it’s about broadening your horizons, Mr.

Syndie October 27, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Just ordered my Sparkly! Would never have if you didn’t give rave reviews! They don’t stay on my head. Excited to try ;)

Heather October 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Um, holy yum. Yes, please and thank you, I’d like to come over and feast on whatever you haven’t already licked out of the bowl. ;-)

Megan October 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I made the same soup tonight! small world :) Definitely a fall favorite!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Haha what is it with men and their picky eating habits? :P

This soup looks awesome though – I think he would have been crazy to NOT like it!

Meghan October 27, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I loveee butternut squash! Just bookmarked this recipe and can’t wait to try it:) I had the same feelings towards off colors as your husband…with pea soup. It took me a while to try but now I love it!

Val October 27, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Looks amazing! I love everything butternut squash!!! Can’t wait to try this recipe. Bookmarking right now!

Emily October 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Life is all about reading in-between the lines! That’s exactly how I would have taken it too.
What a gorgeous soup!

Khushboo October 27, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Hahaha I would love to come over just to watch you and your husband together- so hilarious…love when you share marital stories :)

cleaneatingchelsey October 28, 2011 at 5:48 am

I don’t know if that would be such a great idea – you might see me in a much different light!!

Krystina (Organically Me) October 28, 2011 at 12:55 am

Men… :P

I bet this soup tastes awesome.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama October 28, 2011 at 2:44 am

OMG- LOVE reading between the lines. My husband won’t touch anything that doesn’t resemble “man food”. :) This post is cracking me up and this recipe is making my hungry at midnight. ha! I have a huge butternut squash and I might just have to try this. I’ll let you know what my husband says (or what I THINK he says). :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness October 28, 2011 at 5:52 am

LOL! I love it! The husband of mine will do the same thing, sometimes it’s harder getting him to eat something than the 3 year old.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count October 28, 2011 at 5:55 am

That looks so GOOD!!

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas October 28, 2011 at 6:02 am

I can relate! My family tends to think “vegan + healthy” is code for “tastes like sock.” Whenever I give them a meal that proves this thinking wrong, they then go on to tell their friends how they ate a really awesome vegan meal. Yea yea yea….

Sophie @ threetimesf October 28, 2011 at 6:07 am

Haha good interpretation of his comments! I love squash soup – never tried it with apples though..Mmmmmmm :) (I may or may not be dribbling slightly at the thought..)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 28, 2011 at 10:26 am

That soup looks yum! And the shape of that bowl is awesome – loooove it.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Yum, so autumnal. And the bowl is so cute! Now go eat some more so you turn back from blue to orange.

And no guac??? Oh well, more for you.

Victoria October 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm

This looks amazing! I may make this, this weekend! nom nom

Tim October 28, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I believe your husband should consider himself lucky that he has a wife who cooks such wonderful recipes. Since subscribing to your blog I have tried several recipes that I just love. I have a butternut squash on the counter and I may use it to make this soup. I have made butternut squash fries a couple of times recently, so it might be time to try something different and new.

Jasmine D November 9, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Just turned the slow cooker on!! ….. now I just have to wait 6 whole hours :S

pat brennan February 15, 2012 at 4:25 pm

the recipe sounds sooo good but I need to know how much of the spices to add. Cinnamon, ginger etc/ seems to me that this is important and makes the recipe work. Help!

cleaneatingchelsey February 15, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I add a LOT of cinnamon (probably close to 1 T), and about half the amount of nutmeg – go from your taste buds from there!

Helen October 10, 2012 at 9:52 am

this was loved my the whole family, my son put a little curry powder in his and that was nice too thanks for your recipe

lindsay December 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Hi! I am including this in my slow cooker recipe collection here http://mommyssweetconfessions.blogspot.com/2012/12/34-slow-cooker-soups-stews-and-chilis.html

Amy November 18, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I made it this morning. I cannot wait to have it for dinner! It already smells so good…

cleaneatingchelsey November 18, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Great! Let me know how you like it!