cabbage lentil soup

November 16, 2011

Do you know what makes everyone happy?

November 15, 2011 009

Soup.

Soup makes everyone happy.

Yes, even when it looks like this. Ugly shades of brown and green with lentils that the Husband said look like something I won’t ever repeat on a food blog. Because you might never come back here again.

But for real, I need to get some (crabby) people some soup. Because there’s a few people out there who need to chillax, eat some soup, and be happy. I’m praying to God that it cures them of their crankiness for at least a week until I make another pot.

November 15, 2011 017

Let’s take for instance — Aubrey. Now, I know she’s only like 2 months old (today actually!!), but girl was a big old ball of crankiness yesterday afternoon when I had time to go visit. Apparently my mom warned me about the crab monster, but I don’t remember this ever happening. Doesn’t Aubrey know that when I come over, she’s supposed to put on a smile, talk pretty to me, and leave all the tired and crabby tears until I leave for her mama? Apparently not. She’ll learn quick. Only because I bribe with food. And clothes. And kisses.

I’m also pointing my finger at you, lady who was almost in my trunk and passed me going 230923091 miles per hour on the highway yesterday. I’m going to advise you to turn your radio to the Christmas station, sing along to “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas”, and put a smile on your face like I was when I was unknowingly going under the speed limit when you passed me. And no, I did not appreciate that little “wave” you gave to me either. Chill out. You can thank me later.

November 15, 2011 022

And I suppose if I’m perfectly honest with myself, I should probably go swimming in a big vat of soup. Don’t tell anyone… but I’ve been a little bit crabby lately. Although if you live with me (::ahem:: husband) you probably already know this while I am ranting and raving during dinner. Or maybe you got the jist of the situation when I gave you the evil glare when you tried to sit on the good cushion of the couch last night. Stop looking at me funny, people — the good cushion exists.

It comes and it goes — mainly on how much soup I am eating. Little soup = big crab. Lotsa soup = happy as a clam. I wish I were joking, but all I can do when I eat soup is smile, which usually results in a lot of spillage, but that’s okay because I’m happy to be eating soup.

November 15, 2011 006

November 15, 2011 014

Unfortunately, my soup is gone. The whole pot in three days. Be afraid friends, be very afraid.

If you know what’s best for you, someone will box up some soup and send it to me.

Please?

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I have been on a soup making craze too! Haha This looks great :)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Mmm this sounds so good!! I used to HATE cabbage as a kid, and haven’t had it since then, but this looks so tempting I might just have to bring it back into my life! :P

P.S. Your photos are GORGEOUS! Your photography is amazing!!

cleaneatingchelsey November 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Thank you! I was getting upset because they were not looking crisp lately, and then I cleaned the lens. Um, duh.

Bethany @Bethany's Befuddled Brain November 16, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I love cabbage soup! I’ve always added seitan, but I’ll definitely have to try it with lentils.
I know what you mean about being happy when you have a lot of soup. I have been eating at my veggie chili for about 3 days now and I love it! However, I decided tonight I should probably eat something else because I felt that if I ate it again I’d turn into chili. But I’m definitely having it tomorrow :)

Katie @ Raisins&Apples November 16, 2011 at 5:18 pm

This makes me happy that I have lentils in the pantry and no dinner plans this weekend.

And I made bagels today! They didn’t rise much but they were still light and delicious!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! November 16, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I just made cabbage lentil stew!!! They pair SO well together! Love the sweetness of cabbage this time of year!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 16, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Cabbage soup brings back childhood memories. I was not a fan then but tastes have changed :)

chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files November 16, 2011 at 6:27 pm

yay I can’t wait to try this recipe! I made your stuffed pepper soup that had lentils in it and LOVED it!

julie @ peanut butter fingers November 16, 2011 at 6:30 pm

HOORAY! I think I have all these things!!! Hopefully making this for dinner tomorrow night…

Lauren November 16, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Soup does make everyone happy!! :) Especially this one. This one will make everyone happy and healthy.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm

If only everyone listened to Christmas classics on the road. There would be fewer accidents, and I would be less enraged every afternoon around 6 p.m.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I gotta be honest – hubby is right – this doesn’t look so great (not your pics!!) BUT I LOVE cabbage soup, so I’ll have to try this one!

Kit-Kat November 16, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I love cabbage, and I lentils also are very popular around here…. especially the orange variety!!! :-)

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 16, 2011 at 8:27 pm

nothing better than a new soup recipe! this looks delicious :)

i’ve been crabby too. i blame it on the cold.

Pure2raw twins November 16, 2011 at 8:55 pm

oh yum! love the idea of cabbage and lentils together

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 16, 2011 at 9:41 pm

The idea of cabbage in soup has always weirded me out for some reason. But I trust your judgment, so I know this must be good! All I need to do now is pick up a head of cabbage and I’ll be all set to make it!

Corrina_R November 16, 2011 at 9:41 pm

mmmmmmmmm I love all of your soup recipes and I can’t wait to try this one!! What kind of dry lentils do you buy?

cleaneatingchelsey November 17, 2011 at 5:49 am

I think these were the french ones? Or the green ones? I’m not sure.

Katie November 16, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Yessss for soup. I’ve been wanting some new recipes as the weather gets colder and colder.

And the good couch cushion totally exists. I’m sitting on it right now.

Khushboo November 16, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Despite the gross cabbage soup diet, I actually love cabbage soup…especially Chinese-style with soy sauce & sesame oil!

Sarah November 17, 2011 at 12:45 am

i absolutely love boiled cabbage. Especially with onion and garlic. Thats about as soupy as i get but its so good!

Kara November 17, 2011 at 1:46 am

This looks fantastic! Can’t wait to try it!

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas November 17, 2011 at 5:42 am

Awesome recipe…there is nothing better than a bowl of soup to cure the soul! :D

Tessa @ Amazing Asset November 17, 2011 at 6:40 am

Yumm great recipe! The only problem I would have is that I would literally not be able to be in the same room with a person after this meal for several hours… TMI? Certainly, but lentils and cabbage will do that! haha

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles November 17, 2011 at 9:15 am

Crabby drivers are the worst! Pretty much any delicious food un-crabifies me though so my grumpiness is generally short-lived!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life November 17, 2011 at 10:48 am

Seriously, I love anything with boiled cabbage. This is weird, but true. And I LOVE your dishes!

Your photography is looking brilliant – that lighting set-up was well worth it! So well lit!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Sooooo making this next week!

Julie November 17, 2011 at 8:00 pm

This looks great! And probably much less sodium than the canned lentil soup I had last night.

Nicole November 19, 2011 at 6:54 pm

This looks great. Quick question, is it 1 tbsp. each of fresh or dried spices? Thanks

cleaneatingchelsey November 19, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Dry!

Lori Dziedzic January 29, 2012 at 5:19 pm

just made this recipe and at the point of simmering, I added a left over ham bone and some diced ham………….smells yummy!!!

Alisha @ pink spatulas October 7, 2012 at 7:40 am

I love this soup! I made it last winter and I am making it again this coming week for lunches.

Tara G. January 8, 2013 at 6:22 pm

This is the best soup I have ever made. Just delicious! Thank you for such a great recipe!!!!!

Summerhorse January 20, 2013 at 9:31 pm

This was truly delicious – but, beware. Sometimes dried legumes take longer than recipes call for to get tender. I cooked this according to the directions and then kept cooking. The lentils were barely tender enough to eat, much less al dente. Just allow plenty of time in case the stubborn lentils need a bit more time. Otherwise – yummy.

Christine March 5, 2013 at 11:33 am

Just made it and tasting it… it’s excellent. Thank you for the recipe!

Tara March 6, 2013 at 10:14 am

Thanks for the recipe, think I can use red lentils for this (have a bag but never cooked the red, not sure if they cook differently?)
I think I would also add a can of diced tomotoes, YUM!

Jen May 30, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Mmm! This soup is delicious, it isn’t winter but it is a cold rainy and cloudy day so this soup was just the thing we needed. I also added some white mushrooms in there because I had them. I am adding this to my rotation of soups :)

Elizabeth July 1, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Love your website – soooo extensive. Thanks for so many recipes. Go Veg!!! Elizabeth

Crista October 23, 2013 at 10:55 pm

it’s been a while since i’ve used cabbage in a recipe… it’s about time i do!

Star Wars Tiny Death Star Hack December 30, 2013 at 7:36 pm

These are genuinely wonderful ideas in on the topic of blogging.

You have touched some pleasant things here. Any way keep up wrinting.