brooklyn & emerson: 5 month update

January 30, 2014

How has yet another month passed by with our sweet little ladies? I swear some days I wake up and they have literally grown over night. This past month has been a lot of fun, and even though I’m back to work, I have had a lot of days off between winter weather closings and holidays. The more time I get to spend with them the better!

January 28, 2014 054

January 28, 2014 064

January 28, 2014 065

The girls really interact with each other a lot now. They will look at each other, smile, and hold hands. Emerson is always looking for a reaction from Brooklyn (see first picture above), and it is adorable. Like always, I want to go  through each girl individually to let you know how they are each doing!

January 28, 2014 046

Emerson (left) and Brooklyn (right)

Emerson Faith

January 28, 2014 032

Weight & Height: At her 4 month appointment, she weighed 13 pounds 3 oz, so I am more than certain that she weighs at least 14 pounds now, if not more! She also was 23.75 inches long. We have not measured them since their last appointment.

Eating: Oh this girl is quite a chunkster. She is throwing back at least 30 ounces a day. Emme gets about 20-25 oz of breast milk every day, and the rest of it is supplemented with formula. Emerson is still spitting up so so much, and I can’t wait until this child doesn’t constantly have to wear a bib! We have no started any solids yet – I think we may forgo any sort of cereal until their sensitive tummies can tolerate it.

Sleeping (naps): Emerson’s naps are all over the place. Sometimes she will sleep for 30 minutes, sometimes she will sleep for two hours. It’s really a crap shoot at this point. We are trying to get her to nap in her crib all the time, but it is really difficult. When she wakes up after a half hour and I (or my mom) try to get her to go back to sleep in there, she is so LOUD and will wake Brooklyn up. It’s easier to just separate them and put Emerson in the swing. Horrible habit, I know – but she WILL sleep in her crib for naps so at least she doesn’t have to sleep in the swing! Right now depending on the nap lengths, she will take anywhere from 3-4 naps.

Sleeping (night): Finally finally finally! Emerson has gotten much better with her nighttime sleeping this past month. She is no longer waking up at 3:30 (knock on wood) and unless she has a poop diaper, she typically doesn’t start stirring until around 5. I want their “wake time” to be 6:30-7:00, so I will usually keep sticking that pacifier back in her mouth and not get her up at that time unless she’s actually really hungry when she wakes up early (believe me, I can tell).

January 28, 2014 027

Clothing: We are in 3-6 month clothing the majority of the time. There are only a few outfits that are 0-3 month that still fit her.

Social: Oh man, this girl loves everyone and everything. She is so so smiley and is easily excitable. Emerson loves trying to get a reaction out of her sister. If they are playing together, Emme is typically looking at Brooklyn and smiling (while Brooklyn is just doing her thang!). As long as Emerson is getting attention, she is happy as a clam.

New this Month: Emme rolled from back to tummy yesterday while my mother in law was watching them! She was trying so hard for about three weeks to do it. I can’t wait to see! We also busted out the saucer this month. Emerson loves it! They’re still a little wobbly in it, so I prop a blanket in the back of it. She loves playing with all of the toys on the console!

Likes: Mommy, Daddy, her monkey pacifier, being held, singing, reading books, EATING (like a champ), her giraffe lovey, putting things over her face when she sleeps ::sigh::

Dislikes: dirty diapers, not being paid attention to, being hungry (for like more than a second), long naps, tummy time, getting her sleep sack put on at night (she knows it means “time for bed”)

Comparison

October 29, 2013 048 December 9, 2013 031

January 27, 2014 026-001 January 28, 2014 043

If you’re still reading, one more baby to go!

Brooklyn Grace

January 28, 2014 009

by far, my most favorite picture of Brooklyn. gaah!

Weight & Height: Again, she hasn’t been weighed since her 4 month appointment. At 4 months, she was 13 pounds 6 oz and was 24.25 inches long. I feel like her face filled out even more (if that’s possible!) and her thighs are getting more rolls by the day, so it’s safe to say that she is gaining weight rapidly!

Eating: Brooklyn loves to eat as well. While she started out as our pokey eater, her arms now flap and her legs kick so hard whenever she sees her bottle. I’d guess she is eating anywhere from 26-32 oz a day depending on her hunger level. Just like Emerson, she is being supplemented formula a bottle or two a day.

Sleeping (naps): My once wonderful napper has disappeared! Brooklyn is trying to get by with 30 minute naps (sometimes an hour if we’re lucky) these days. They are learning at such a rapid pace, and have been in a huge storm cloud for about a month (wonder weeks anyone?), and I think that has something to do with it. I swear every day they are learning something new!

Sleeping (night): Oh my wonderful sleeper. Brooklyn is so great at night – she goes down easily with just a few pacifier replacements (which I totally have to stop doing so she can learn to self soothe). One thing that we need to get out of is that swaddle! Girlfriend loooooves being swaddled. We tried keeping her unswaddled for a few nights, she slept horrible (which meant we slept horribly), and I went right back to swaddling her. ::welp:: I figure if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I won’t start worrying until she is rolling over! After Brooklyn is asleep, she very rarely wakes up in the middle of the night. She still gets a dream feed around 10, and will typically wake around 6:30-7:00 (unless it’s yesterday morning. In that case, she woke up at 5:30 screaming to eat).

January 28, 2014 014

Clothing: 3-6 month! This little girl has a long torso. I don’t think it will be long until we switch over to 6-9 month!

Social: Brooklyn is a different baby from when she was born. She loves everyone, and she will talk all the live long day to whoever will listen. She is very observant and interested in just about everything. I watched her yesterday for 15 minutes trying to pick up a ball and transfer it to her other hand. She was so patient and just kept trying and trying. She’s the sweetest. She also never stops moving – my house will be destroyed when she starts moving!

New this Month: Brooklyn just figured out how to make a “kissing” sound with her lips. It’s pretty much the most adorable thing ever. She is also trying to roll over from her back to her tummy. Other than that, she has gotten so much better with her neck/head control. She’s not quite as wobbly as she once was! Brooklyn also loves her new saucer, and I just KNOW that if we bust out the jumper this month she will have a ball. Girlfriend does not stand, she bounces. She has also started to reach out to try to touch Charlie – the cutest!

Likes: singing songs, being swaddled, mommy, daddy, Charlie, tummy time (for about 2 minutes), her giraffe pacifier, cuddling after nap time

Dislikes: dirty diapers, being held “like a baby”, getting the sleep sack put on at bedtime, having to wait more than 3 seconds for her bottle to end up in her mouth

Comparison

October 29, 2013 040December 9, 2013 039

January 27, 2014 009-001  January 28, 2014 001

I can’t believe in just another month they will be six months old. Where does the time go? I feel so blessed to be their mama!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) January 30, 2014 at 6:07 am

They both are just so cute and have the prettiest blue eyes! I can only imagine how fun it is to watch them interact. I know I’ve said it before, but seeing your two girls gets me so excited to have my second girl in May. Though I haven’t experienced myself, sisters seem to have such a special bond. How fun that you get to watch them grow through life together!

On a more down-to-earth note, hooray for better sleep! I always said that if I can get a good night’s sleep, I can do anything!

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:36 am

Thanks Brittany! It is so so much fun – they’re hilarious with each other! I loved having a sister growing up, so I’m excited to watch sisters love on each other (or not. ;) ). I’m too excited for you come May!

Mindy January 30, 2014 at 6:53 am

Such cute little girls!! I love the pic where Emerson has her hand in Brooklyn’s mouth- too funny!!

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:14 pm

LOL – even funnier is the next one where Brooklyn is looking at me like “moooooom Emme is touching me!!!”

Danica @ It's Progression January 30, 2014 at 7:01 am

They are both just absolutely gorgeous. It’s fun to see the comparisons of how much they’ve grown!

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Thank you!

Heather @fitncookies January 30, 2014 at 7:29 am

They are too adorable for words. I love seeing how they progress! They are going to be best friends for life <3

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I am so excited for that!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 30, 2014 at 8:13 am

They are so adorable! You sure do have your hands full but it looks like you are doing an AWESOME job!

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Thank you Sara!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 30, 2014 at 8:27 am

Brooklyn’s eyes!!!! I die!

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:15 pm
Rebecca January 30, 2014 at 8:34 am

Where did you get their purple headbands? Soo cute! I want to get some for my soon-to-be-born baby girl

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 8:41 am

The headband itself is a crocheted one like this and the flower is a clip that I can change out to be put on different headbands – it’s this one in white!

Megan January 30, 2014 at 8:36 am

They are absolutely adorable! I love reading these updates – my daughter, Avery, is about one week older than your girls so I love to hear about other babies around the same age!

One question – how do you get your girls to sleep so well at night? On a bad night, Avery is sometimes up every hour or two (sometimes just wanting to chat and play with her toes)! I usually nurse her twice during the night because she will only eat 25 oz of breast milk during the day so I assume she’s hungry at times during the night. I’ve tried adding more to her bottles and she just won’t take it. I’ve thought about doing a dream feed but she’s a tummy sleeper so that seems logistically difficult! I love my little girl but Mommy is becoming a zombie!

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Honestly, I think it’s just pure luck. Although, I will say, their pediatrician is pretty no nonsense about nights. I know that some people have different beliefs and philosophies about nighttime, but my ped believes that by about 3 months, they should be able to go about 8 hours without eating at night (if not more!). They’ve always been pretty good nighttime sleepers, but one thing I have found helps is to not “reward” them for waking up in the middle of the night. Meaning, unless they are screaming bloody murder or they have a dirty diaper, I don’t pick them up if they wake up and I don’t talk to them either. I’ll still semi-comfort them/replace their pacifiers. It sounds pretty harsh, but I want them to know that nighttime is for sleeping and daytime is for playing!

Buuuuuut, again – all babies are just different regardless of what you do!

lana January 30, 2014 at 8:57 am

My son’s naps got really bad around five months too. Its a tough time!

We also swaddled him until he started trying to roll over (which was too early for me, 4-5 months, lol) We gradually weaned him from the swaddle by first leaving out just one arm for a few days. Then both arms for a bit, and then switched to a sleep sack. It was still rough for a few nights, but he almost immediately started tummy sleeping when not swaddled which he really liked.

Good luck <3

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Thanks Lana! I know I have to do it soon!

Staci January 30, 2014 at 9:11 am

I’m currently pregnant with my first baby (possibly twins!), I’m almost 8 weeks and hopefully will find out tomorrow at my ultrasound if there is another one hiding in there. We saw a flicker on the ultrasound last week that might have been a second heartbeat but couldn’t tell. I love seeing your updates and pictures of the girls, they are just adorable!!

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Congrats!!!! Please please please come back and comment on what the outcome was!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 30, 2014 at 9:19 am

What CUTIES they are! I love how you can already pick out how different their personalities are – so neat. I love Emerson’s chubby cheeks, and Brooklyn’s big eyes!

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:21 pm

:) Thanks Ash! And I have no idea why your comment went in to be moderated!

Kendra January 30, 2014 at 9:31 am

OH my! That picture where Emerson is putting her finger in Brooklyn’s mouth – THATs a keeper, too cute!

Twins are the best (I know, it sounds crazy)! I have younger twin sisters and it has been the greatest joy watching them interact and grow up together they will forEVER be best friends. My sisters are SOO different yet – the bond they have is amazing – you will love it. Never a dull moment with twins :)

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Did you have any other siblings or was it just you and your twin sisters? I’m always afraid that if we have just “one more” that child will feel left out!

Kendra January 31, 2014 at 8:25 am

I did have an older brother as well. It’s hard NOT to think that way as a mother, but honestly I am very close to each of the twins in a different way and the relationship I have with each of them is just as special as their bond together. One of them comes to me with questions and issues that she doesn’t necessarily want to share with her twin just because they are in high school and lord knows how messy high school (especially as a girl) can be! So I think she really likes having another sibling OUTside of that intense twin relationship to share things with!! Having one more would be just fine! :)

Shel@PeachyPalate January 30, 2014 at 9:40 am

They both have such big bright blue eyes!!! They actually look a little more alike in these shots! Hope you’re doing ok!

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I’m doing great! Thanks for asking!

BerryBloomXO January 30, 2014 at 11:48 am

They are so cute! I read every bit of it and ahh, they’re so adorable! Their eyes are amazing too and the headbands you put on them are lovely! haha!
I hope you continue to get better and better sleep everyday!
xoxo,

BerryBloomXO.blogspot.co.uk

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 30, 2014 at 11:51 am

Omg I can’t believe it’s been 5 months already!!! I NEED to come visit! I’ll be Molly sitting in a few weeks and hopefully I can come visit then (aka I can steal his car without actually asking…).

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 30, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Oh my gosh, that first pic of Brooklyn — so cute!! Those eyes! :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 30, 2014 at 2:09 pm

SOOOOOO adorable!! I love seeing them growing up!

And wow, I’m impressed by how much they eat! Addie has never eaten more than 27-28 oz, at the highest. And most days, she’s closer to 24 oz. I’m so impressed with your sweet little ones!! <3

Ashlee@HisnHers January 30, 2014 at 2:13 pm

You have some gorgeous little girls!!! I can’t even imagine being their mom and fighting off the boys in 15 years :-)

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Oh geez – I don’t even want to thinka bout that! Thank you!

Amanda C January 30, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Twins are the best! I went from swaddle to the aden and Anais 4 layer sleeping bags and they are the best. My friend and sister did the same and it made the transition so much easier. I think the weight of the bag helps. Anyway, just an idea! They are so so so incredibly cute!

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Thanks Amanda!

Sandra in TX January 30, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I love the baby updates. They are the most precious babies ever. Beautiful girls!

Sunny January 30, 2014 at 5:13 pm

OMG your babies are so freakin’ adorable.

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:23 pm

:) Thank you!

Amber K January 30, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Those eyes! So precious.

cleaneatingchelsey January 30, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Thank you!

Erica C January 30, 2014 at 6:31 pm

They are so adorable! I love reading their updates. :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 30, 2014 at 6:55 pm

They are the sweetest little ladies!

Linz @ Itz Linz January 31, 2014 at 6:43 am

they are both too precious!! i remember when you announced you were pregnant with the girlies!!!

april January 31, 2014 at 2:45 pm

your babies are so adorable! i can’t get over how beautiful their eyes are! i’ve always secretly wanted twins – i’m sure it is so much more work having two babies, but SO worth it :)

Carly January 31, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Your girls are so precious!! I love reading these updates =)

Corinna January 31, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Love reading your updates, Chelsey, and your whole blog for that matter. My little guy is 11 weeks old, so I like reading about your girls who are just a tad older than him so I can get an idea of what’s coming up next for him, developmentally.

char eats greens February 1, 2014 at 10:21 am

ADORABLE!!!!

Gloria Schiralli February 3, 2014 at 4:32 am

Your daughters are so unbelievably cute!! Love to see how there growing up :)

Renee @ Fit For Motherhood February 3, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Oh my they are so adorable!! Time goes by so fast. McKenzie and McKayla have gone through some funny nap schedules and just when I think we are getting it back under control they surprise me. :) I think their funny napping started at about 5 months or so too. :)

Katie A February 4, 2014 at 8:41 am

Your girls are adorable!! I have a one month old little girl who loves to have things (hands, blankets, etc) over her mouth when she sleeps like Emerson and it worries the crap out of her mama!!

Annette@FitnessPerks February 4, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Oh they are so dang cute!! I love how they interact with each other now. SO darling!!

Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life February 4, 2014 at 4:08 pm

They are just too cute for words! Time just keeps going quicker the older they will get! Enjoy every moment with your adorable girls!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat February 5, 2014 at 8:57 am

Oh my gosh, they’re so adorable! Love these pics and update!!

Amanda @ A Latte Learn February 5, 2014 at 3:09 pm

You have the cutest pair of little girls around!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! February 7, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Those eyes on Brooklyn! I love the pictures of them together interacting. One of my good friends has twin girls who are about 1, and they are absolutely hilarious together. They constantly make faces at each other and talk in their own language. I love babysitting them just so I can watch them play together!

Christian February 11, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Lovely babies… Do you have videos of them on YouTube? Looking forward on your next posts for little Brooklyn and Emerson. :)

Alissa @ Eat Clean Beauty Queen February 12, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Your girls are BEAUTIFUL! Those baby blues on Brooklyn are to die for. It’s so fun to hear about how they’re growing so differently1 Soak it up the time with them.. it goes by so quickly!

Kelly February 26, 2014 at 3:12 pm

They are just so gorgeous!! :)