whipped banana and pear scottish oats

March 31, 2011

I have to confess something to you today.

Last night, I woke up about 10 times in the middle of the night thinking it was morning. I also thought it was Sunday. Both of these things made me sad. Why? It wasn’t breakfast time, and Sunday means I go back to work the following day.

There was a reason why I was looking forward to breakfast so much.

Mach 31, 2011 012

I always make sure to start each day with a healthy and wholesome breakfast, filled to the brim with healthy fats, protein, and fiber. It gets me going off to a good start.

Charlie  likes fiber too.. in the form of tree branches.

Mach 31, 2011 029

Yes, he is actually biting a branch off the tree. For real, that dog has a stomach of steel. That can’t taste good.

Although, this coming from the dog who thought my socks tasted good

The other morning, I ran out of rolled oats. It was a tragedy. I almost cried until I realized I had some steel cut oats hiding out in my pantry. While steel cut oats are not even a close second to rolled oats, I decided to take matters into my own hands and create a delicious breakfast. Every time I’ve eaten steel cut oats, it hasn’t kept me for full quite as long as the regular oats do.

Not to mention the 25 minute cook time they have!

So I decided to take these…

March 30, 2011 001

And turn them into this!

March 30, 2011 004
Basically, I took about a cup of steel cut oats and ground them up in my mini processor for about a minute. What I ended up with was powder with a few oat chunks mixed in.

Blogging behind the scenes:

March 30, 2011 006
My steel cut oat guard dog:

March 30, 2011 007
Can you believe that yesterday was the first time I ever ate Scottish oats? I don’t know what took me so long, but I am addicted. These are creamy, but chewy at the same time. I would also be telling the truth when I say this keeps me full for a whole five hours. That’s ridiculously unheard of! Usually I am scrounging around for a snack after 3 hours.

I may not be Scottish, but those Scots know what they’re doing over there.

Mach 31, 2011 005

Whipped Banana and Pear Scottish Oats

• 1/4 cup ground steel cut oats
  • 1 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 banana, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 pear, diced

Mach 31, 2011 004

Directions: Grind your steel cut oats in a food processor for 1-2 minutes until almost smooth. Measure out 1/4 cup and place in a small saucepan. Add your water, milk, vanilla, and chia seeds — whisk until smooth. Put the saucepan over a medium high heated burner and thinly slice your banana into the saucepan. When your liquid comes to a rapid boil, whisk your  banana into your oats continuously until smooth. Lower the heat to medium and stir occasionally, heating for another 5-6 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed to your desired consistency.

While your oats are cooking, dice your pear and gently fold in half of them in the last minute of cooking. Transfer your oats to your favorite breakfast bowl and top with cinnamon and remaining diced pear.

Mach 31, 2011 006

I know what you’re thinking right now. There are just a few options:

Wow — Chelsey makes the best breakfasts in the world!”

I’d wake up a zillion times in the middle of night thinking about this too!”

What is she thinking!??!?!? WHERE IS THE PEANUT BUTTER!?”

I’m sorry if I scared you folks. There was peanut butter.. and coconut.. an perhaps some crumbled banana cookie action added after my photography session. Nothing says love like lukewarm Scottish oats (it was cold outside!) with some peanut butter on top.

But I think you’d agree that it was best I did make this my main selling point:

Mach 31, 2011 013
In all honesty though, this breakfast made me want to swim in a sea of Scottish oats.

Just like Charlie wanted to swim in his breakfast this morning.

Mach 31, 2011 015
Yes, that would be mulch. Mmmm — fiber.

Question: What is your family’s nationality? I am Irish, German, Finnish, and Slovak! Not an ounce of Scot in me!

Kristin @ FoodFash March 31, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I’ve never thought of a pear/banana combo, but it sounds delish!

Emily March 31, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Hahaha aw, Charlie is adorable!
I am English, Irish, Scottish, and Dutch which makes for a not so gorgeous complexion when I get too much sun…

cleaneatingchelsey March 31, 2011 at 6:52 pm

My Husband is Dutch. His favorite saying is: “If you ain’t Dutch, you ain’t much.” Boooo.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

Your husband is awesome. Straight up.

I wish I could come up with an equally clever saying about being Lebanese or Italian.

Kelsey @ Unmitigated Grub March 31, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Delicious! I’ve never had Scottish oats before either. I’m a lot of things, but most prominently Irish and German… Glad you added the pb :)

Jessica @ How Sweet March 31, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I really love steel cut oats, but have yet to try scottish. I think you convinced me!

Tara @ The Game of Life March 31, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I have never had steel cut oats either!! Definitely trying these soon!!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl March 31, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Awww, Charlie is so cute!

I’ve never had scottish oats before! These look great!

Mandi March 31, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I don’t think I would have ever thought of adding pear to oatmeal, that actually sounds delicious. Also, I’ve never tried scottish oats before, but am now so intrigued I might have too. :)

Hungry Dancer March 31, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I’ve never had scottish oats!! Need to try them!!

Parita @ myinnershakti March 31, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I actually like steel cut oats better than regular – I think it’s a texture thing! And I am 100% Indian (to the best of my knowledge)!

Amy @ Second City Randomness March 31, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I’m pure German. Soooo boring…

Lauren March 31, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Dogs eat the weirdest things. You have me craving Scottish oats!

Kristi @ KristiAteIt March 31, 2011 at 7:10 pm

It’s funny that you mentioned no peanut butter. I actually read it, went back and read it again and was like..I feel like she is missing something! I have to admit though, I never thought peanut butter! hahah I just knew something was off.
I’m mostly Irish and Danish…although I don’t look Irish at all!

karenlovescardio March 31, 2011 at 7:12 pm

that bowl of oats looks fantastic! I have never had Scottish oats either, but I assure you, that’s going to change. Great blog, I just came across it today:) I’m adding you to my list!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy March 31, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I love Scottish oats! I’m going to have to grind up my steel cut oats now! I’ve had a bag forever, but I don’t want to cook them for 25 minutes!

I’m mostly German with a little Irish thrown in!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 31, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I’m Scottish! :-) But I’ve never had Scottish oats. This needs to change immediately.

fitnessnfoodiegirl March 31, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Charlie is so adorable! Those oats look awesome as well!
I am mostly Welsh with a little bit of German thrown in.

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com March 31, 2011 at 7:40 pm

THOSE LOOK AMAZING!! I really was worried that the PB was missing!!! I am like charlie and like to get my fiber in the form of branches too ha:) You are HILARIOUS!!! I am danish and german:) Hope you are having an amazing night and I won’t tell anyone about your toe:)

carlydeal March 31, 2011 at 8:17 pm

My family heritage is all over the map, but my bf is Italian. I’ve adopted the Italian so I have an excuse to drink wine and be extremely loud!

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 7:11 am

haha I love that you “adopted” Italian!

Katy (The Singing Runner) March 31, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Looks delicious!

I am Irish, Italian, and Polish…. you would think that I would be able to drink a lot of liquor and beer…but I am such a lightweight! ;)

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 7:11 am

I’m Irish too – and yes, I’m also a lightweight

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 31, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I am a European Mutt. Russian, Polish, German, Swedish, and others too.

I love your oats. The chia in them look soooo good! :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 7:11 am

Mutts are the best! You’ve got a little bit of everything!!

katshealthcorner March 31, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Oh my gosh Chelsey!!!!! I never would have thought to grind up my steel cut oats! That is AWESOME! :D

megpinkgiggles March 31, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I’m Polish and Dutch. Pretty amazing combo if I do say so myself :P

Lesley Lifting Life March 31, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Gotta love that tree bark fiber ;) haha.

Rosalie March 31, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Not really related to this post, but I wanted to extend a big “Thank you” to you. I love to bring in baked goods for my various classes and I’ve felt wretched when my new friend who has Celiac couldn’t partake. I made your cranberry coconut muffins (with a few adjustments–brown rice and sorghum flours, hazelnut oil, honey, and I soaked the craisins and used that soaking liquid to make the flax egg) yesterday and they proved a resounding success. So again, thank you!

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 7:12 am

:) I am so glad you like them!!!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 31, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Swiss, Swiss, German, and English!! great b-fast idea :)

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 31, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Irish all the way! :)

Dorry March 31, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I love Scottish oats! And I need to add pear to my next bowl (just have to wait until Easter since I gave up cereal for Lent!) :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 7:12 am

Oh my gosh – oats count as cereal?!?! I would be lost.

Christina @ Food.Fun.Fabulous. March 31, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Your oats look so good! I’ve never had Scottish oats, I’m usually fine with the old-fashioned rolled oats. As for my heritage – I’m Polish, French, and German!

IHeartVegetables March 31, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Mmmm I LOVE Pears! But for some reason, when I’m at the store, I always go for apples instead. I need to expand my fruit repertoire

Trisha March 31, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I don’t think I would sleep at ALL knowing I had that for breakfast. I get so excited when I wake up and think about eating. Really. That looks so good!

Maryann (The Balanced Bean) March 31, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Ive got some steel cut oats in my pantry just waiting for some grinding! Def will be trying that soon.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 31, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Those look SO creamy and delicious!

Alba April 1, 2011 at 12:53 am

Once my pears turn into a lighter colour (they’re grass green and rock hard at the moment it’s insane), I’m DEFINITELY making this!

I’m Maltese with Greek and English heritage – yay!

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 7:13 am

unripe pears are the WORST!!!

megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 1, 2011 at 3:31 am

Ahh I want to swim in a sea of scottish oats too, now! Looks delicious!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 1, 2011 at 6:19 am

I’ve got Scot in me, so I’ll take credit for the invention :) I love those oats but I never make them because they take so damn long to cook!! Wahhh.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 1, 2011 at 6:30 am

Those sound yummy! Love the behind the scenes action too. I’m usually on the floor shooting my food too…and have to crop out little feet so many times! LOL

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 7:13 am

haha I have to crop out some ridiculous things sometimes too.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 1, 2011 at 7:07 am

I woke up in the middle of the night too and I was starving! So I had my “first” breakfast of granola at 4 am haha!

I’ve never ventured out into other types of oats either, but I’m curious to try them now. Especially if they can keep you full for 5 hours! That’s practically unheard of for me!

Alyssa April 1, 2011 at 7:28 am

AH, that looks deeelish! I’m British, French, and German… but I grew up in England, just a little south of Scotland! :) Does that count? ;)

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 7:58 am

::gasp:: That’s so cool! DO you have a fun accent?

Lisa @ Healthy Diaries April 1, 2011 at 7:52 am

I’ve never had Scottish oats before but have always seen them. I love steel cut oats but only eat them 1-2 a month since they take so long to cook! :)

I’m 100% Italian. Both my parents were born there.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 1, 2011 at 8:00 am

Lol I used to get so confused when I first started blog reading, cos I live in England and Scottish oats are the most common thing EVER!! So I wondered why people got so excited about them! :P

Your oats look DELISH, and I was slightly worried about the lack of PB!! Hahaha!! :D

My momma is Indian, and my Dad’s American, but we live in England :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 8:34 am

That’s an interesting combo to be rooted in England! haha I love it!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 1, 2011 at 8:03 am

Those oats look fantastic!
My dog likes socks too, and acorns, strange creatures.

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 8:33 am

Yeah apparently he doesn’t like squirrels. He barked at one for a good 40 minutes yesterday.

Sami April 1, 2011 at 8:15 am

mmmm. pears are so juicy right now! <3 great combo of adding them to the banana oats!

fashionfitnessfoodie April 1, 2011 at 8:53 am

Never thought of banana and pear together! I actually have both on hand which is weird because I rarely buy pears. Must be fate :)

Alicia April 1, 2011 at 9:23 am

Yum! Have not had steel cut oats before but I just bought some last weekend at whole foods! I’m definitely looking forward to tryin them now! My background is Italian :) my dad was born there, and my mom is a mix of thing, scottish ( she has red hair! ) and even some native! And I think French. Just a mut lol

Jenny April 1, 2011 at 9:39 am

Love that pear combo with the oats. I’ve never had my oats with pears, looks delish and definitely not complete without a glob of some pb :) My nationality is Cuban which is pretty much 80% of the Miami population lol

Kelly April 1, 2011 at 9:47 am

I love Scottish Oats…now that I switched to those I could never go back to rolled oats ever!

simplynutritiouskate April 1, 2011 at 9:55 am

Yum those oats look delish, I love your green bowl I have one from crate and barrel in blue and I LOVE it!

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 10:09 am

I have the stacking set – I love them!

Katie April 1, 2011 at 9:55 am

I have to try scottish oats! I bought some buckwheat groats last week to try too!

I am italian , irish, and german!!

Hope us girls can schedule a fun weekend meetup in july!!!!!

Happy Weekend! xoxo

Jess April 1, 2011 at 10:21 am

I have been waking up in the middle of the night CONSTANTLY wishing it was time for breakfast.
I am Irish and German!

Katie @ peacebeme April 1, 2011 at 10:32 am

I am just a mutt of all the western european countries combined. ;) Mostly German, but including English, French, Spanish, Irish, and Welsh. My fiance is half Scottish and half Filipino, so our kids would have even more to add to the list. I enjoyed reading everyone’s responses to this question.

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 10:59 am

Wow! You’ve got a lot of nationalities going on there!

Allison @ Runs A Latte April 1, 2011 at 11:01 am

Your oats look amazing! I still haven’t tried adding chia seeds to my oats, yet. But hey, at least it’s Friday and Sunday’s almost here!

Ameena April 1, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I am too impatient to make anything other than quick cooking oats! I am impatient because I am half -Indian…we are known for our short tempers!!

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm

ahaha!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie April 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I am Russian. Like Ameena, I only make quick oats due to patience issues.

Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) April 1, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Mmmm, looking good girl!

yourdailygrace April 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I’m Irish and English:) It’s like 75% English to 25% Irish. I’d like to visit both of my homelands though, I’ll eat some oatmeal for you while I’m there!

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I’ve been to England before – absolutely beautiful!

Freya April 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Oh yes – that bowl is right up my street!
I’m Dutch, British, German, Italian and Swedish. I thiiink…

cleaneatingchelsey April 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I don’t know why, but I always find it fascinating that when people live in England they’re not 100% British!!

movesnmunchies April 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm

can you make oats look any more appealing?!?
im 1/2 irish and then welsh, american, and a wee bit of polish i fink

Danielle April 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Mmmmmmm – that sounded amazing! I’m so trying that next chance I get :-)

Oh, and I’m croatian & italian

Alexa @ Simple Eats April 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Scottish oats + pear = two of my favorite things!!
I’m almost ALL German, a little bit English and a tid bit Cherokee!

Krista @ Journey to a Healthy Berg April 1, 2011 at 4:49 pm

haha, my first thought honestly was “where’s the peanut butter?!”

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 1, 2011 at 10:27 pm

When we switched our dog to Science Diet (at the request of the vet) she started eating tree bark, sticks, rocks, hay… anything she could get her paws on. It was horrible!
I am French, Dutch, and German.

cleaneatingchelsey April 2, 2011 at 7:05 am

That’s so weird!! Charlie eats Natural Choice Nutro Max!

Tiffany April 2, 2011 at 2:14 am

I’m 100% Scottish…ever so slightly dull I am (:
Thick oats are the best, my mum always starts her day with her porridge! It’s amazing how long they can keep you full for, and yummmyyy!

Luv What You Do April 9, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I made this oatmeal this morning (with apple since my man took the last pear to work) and it was super easy and so good! What makes it Scottish Oats?

I’m a bit of a mutt, some Russian, Norwegian, Scottish, and Irish…

Ps How exciting to finally have some spring time weather in Chi Town!!!

Vienna March 29, 2013 at 2:20 pm

This smelled like banana bread as it cooked! A fun way to vary the texture by blending and maybe lowering the calorie count by adding so much liquid? If so, I still added the calories right back in with a topping of almond butter. :) The pears came across as being kind of tart, actually, a surprise in each bit. This was a good sugar-free morning cereal to try something different. I like the creaminess of it, and that it has some protein in it too. A good base to try other add-ins with.