summer reading list

June 17, 2011

If there’s one thing I love about summer (believe me, there’s more than one) it is that I have much more time to read. I have always been an avid reader. In fact, I remember one time in second grade getting in trouble during a spelling test. I wasn’t cheating — in fact, I was merely minding my own business. My fault? I was reading in between spelling words because the teacher was “going too slow for me”.

I devoured books like there was no tomorrow — I used to love the 500 Reading Minutes incentive program Six Flags Great America hosted each year for schools. Read 500 minutes and get a free ticket? Don’t mind if I do!

However, as I have gotten older, more and more tasks have gotten in the way of my love for reading. Summer is the perfect opportunity to crack open a book (or a Kindle) while tanning at the pool or on a long road trip somewhere exciting.

I’ve compiled a list of books I want to read this summer — it’s a pretty long list. It only seemed natural to share these with you as I am currently tutoring a student from last year right now! Let’s see if I can get through them all!

I actually already finished this Kristin Hannah novel. I am obsessed with everything and anything Kristin Hannah at the moment. These books are easy to read, fast paced, and Hannah does a fantastic job of weaving a story through others’ perspectives. Other Hannah books to consider: A Winter Garden, Firefly Lane, Magic Hour, and Between Sisters.

I have heard nothing but good things about this text from Donoghue. This story is about a little boy and his mother who live in a 11×11 room. It is their prison and they are being held captive by a man who Jack (the little boy) calls Old Nick. I’ve heard this book is gripping and emotional — and that Donoghue does a fantastic job portraying Jack’s voice in this piece.

Did you read all three of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books? I did — I was obsessed with them. This new book by Ann Brashares is basically a 10 year reunion of the Traveling Pants series. It follows the four girls and the twists their lives have taken since we last saw them in the third novel Brashares wrote. I am SO excited to read this book.

This book comes highly recommended. I’ve been meaning to read it for a while now. A husband and wife in India have a little girl, but to save her, have to give her away. An American doctor adopts the baby. This book weaves together the story of two families and cultures. Can’t wait to read this!

Part of me is really scared to read this novel by Stein. I’ve heard it’s a great read, but heart wrenching nonetheless. This story is told from the perspective of a dog named Enzo. I’ve always wondered what Charlie is thinking when “that crazy lady” (me”) talks to him or scolds him for being naughty.

I love Lisa Scottoline. She is a great story teller, and I was hooked on her writing style when I read the novel Look Again and Think Twice. She writes thrillers — and Save Me looks like another one.

I’ve never read anything by Kwok before, but this story sounds so intriguing.  A Chinese girl and her mother move to the United States from Hong Kong after her father dies. Kim, the young girl, struggles to work in a factory and excel in an elite private American school. Another Asian-American novel I have read and loved lately is Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Excellent read!

I just came across this book when I was at Borders the other day. This tells the story of Ginny, a woman with Asperger’s  Syndrome, faces struggles after both her parents die. Ginny’s sister, Amanda, and her disagree about what to do with the home. Ginny begins cooking and finds comfort in it, and finds the recipes she creates can conjure spirits from their past.

Believe it or not, that is actually just a dent in the list of books I want to read. I better get cracking!

And… the winner of the 85 Mini Larabars is:

image image

Eva! Please email me your mailing address, and I will get those Larabars shipped to you. And I might be able to work in some more grocery posts for you!

Question: What are some “must reads” on your summer reading list?

Monika @ Powered By Paprika June 17, 2011 at 9:32 am

I have a summer reading list page on my blog!

I love making and sticking to summer reading lists :)

I’m currently reading “What is the What” and then I’m moving on to “Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down”.. and then about a gazillion after that!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 17, 2011 at 9:46 am

I LOVE to read too! I’m currently reading The Help and it’s awesome :) I think I want to read The Hunger Games series this summer.

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 10:50 am

Read both the help and the Hunger Game Series. They are SO good!

Rachel June 17, 2011 at 9:51 am

Don’t be scared of The Art of Racing in the Rain. It’s super cute, I really loved it :) I definitely cried at a couple of parts but it was a great book.

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 10:50 am

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) June 17, 2011 at 9:55 am

YES that is one of my FAVOURITE things about summer too!! I didn’t know Ann Brashares had a new book out?! Awesome, can’t wait to get my hands on that!! :D

pumpedforpumpkin June 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

thanks for the summer reading list! I’ve been looking for some good books to read I’ll definitely be checking out a few of these :)

Katie June 17, 2011 at 10:04 am

I am such a huge book nerd. I am reading I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced. Fascinating.

I saw Room at the store and it is on my list. And my mom has three of those Kristin Hannah books on her desk. I’d never heard of her before, but I htink I’m about to steal some books…. :)

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 10:51 am

age 10 and divorced? Holy crap.

movesnmunchies June 17, 2011 at 10:06 am

.coool…ive never heard of aNY of these books!! i seriously do not read.. I should… like badly.. but i have much more important things to do!! like blog… and watch reality tv- dUH!

Val June 17, 2011 at 10:10 am

Thanks for sharing this. I love reading too but feel like I just don’t have time. I hope you talk about I you enjoyed the book or not when you are done. I love hearing book recommendations!! I’ve also heard that Room is really good. Haven’t gotten my hands on it yet though.

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 10:51 am

I always read to fall asleep. Even during the school year, I may only get through 5-10 pages a night, but at least I’m still reading!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama June 17, 2011 at 10:10 am

Great list. I literally just finished Room about 10 minutes ago. It was a fantastic read. I started it last night and couldn’t put it down.

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 10:51 am

Oh I am so pumped now!

runyogarepeat June 17, 2011 at 10:19 am

Love the list, I’ll definitely have to come back to it! I had no idea there was another Sisterhood of the traveling pants book. I really wanna read the Hunger Games books.

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 10:52 am

Hunger Games is FANTASTIC!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy June 17, 2011 at 10:21 am

Yes! More summer reads for me to check out! I’m reading about 4 books right now – but I can always add a few more! ;)

Sarah @ goingongoals June 17, 2011 at 10:27 am

I have a lot of books I have never read on my shelf that I am trying to get through this summer. Some really hot books are on there like The Girl with the Dragon Tatto and Something Borrowed and Something Blue. I can’t wait for my beach trip next week to dig into them!

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 10:52 am

Oh I want to read those too!!! :)

Kendall (On An Inhale) June 17, 2011 at 10:36 am

The Art of Racing In The Rain is AMAZING!!!! I was also scared to read it. My mom forced me to and I’m glad she did. I did cry a little bit but I was okay. I love books too. I usually go through cycles of reading 10 in a row then I dont read for a few months. Once I move and finish Teacher training I will be digging into them again. Have a great weekend!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt June 17, 2011 at 10:43 am

I love this post because I am about to put some books on my Kindle for the beach. I read Loving Frank and Little Bee recently and loved them both.

christina June 17, 2011 at 10:47 am

A few of my girlfriends and I are starting a book club! I’m so excited. The first book we’re reading is called House Rules by Jodi Picoult. I just finished Little Bee, and next I’ll read The Help.

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 10:52 am

House Rules is FANTASTIC! Little Bee was great too – so was The Help! All such great reads!!

Dominique June 17, 2011 at 10:56 am

I want to read “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” series when I go on vacation! I’ve been putting it off for way to long, it sounds so intriguing! I love a good page-turner.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 17, 2011 at 10:58 am

Loe your reading list. I’m currently reading Eat Pray Love and really enjoying it!

Jenny June 17, 2011 at 10:59 am

My sister just got Sisterhood Everlasting to read this weekend while she is at the beach and I can’t wait for her to get back and give it to me to read!! I also want to read The Art of Dancing in the Rain

Mac June 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

Look like good summer reads! I have a list on my blog, it’s not a total compilation, but it has a good start on there. I’m hoping to update it soon!

Amanda @ Running with Spoons June 17, 2011 at 11:10 am

Summer is perfect for reading! I actually just finished The Hunger Games, and now I’m moving on to The Help. I’ll have to check out some of these books on your list, though.

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 4:25 pm

GREAT reads!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes June 17, 2011 at 11:12 am

I am re-reading all of my childhood favourite this summer! ( or hope too) haha that includes Archie Comics to the Little House on the Prairie :)

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Oh I love that!!! If it were me, I’d be reading all the Babysitter Little Sister books. :)

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 17, 2011 at 11:18 am

I’m hell bent on reading every single Jodi Picoult book I haven’t already read. The Pact and Change of Heart were honestly some of the best reads I’ve ever encountered.

AAAND I have nothing but great things to say about The Help, Water for Elephants, and the Something Borrowed series.. however, considering their popularity right now, I’m sure everyone and their mother has already told you to read those if you haven’t already. ;)

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I love Jodi Picoult – The Pact was really great, but it was so so sooo heavy!

I’ve read The Help and Water for Elephants – I also have the Something Borrowed series in my car from my bestie!

missymiller June 17, 2011 at 11:29 am

We can’t forget Peas and Thankyou!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! June 17, 2011 at 11:31 am

That room book sounds so gripping! I am gonna have to pick that up…..after I finsh my school summer reading of course ;)

yourdailygrace June 17, 2011 at 11:39 am

I have so many books that I haven’t read! I usually love reading but I feel like even though it’s summer I haven’t been able to relax enough to really enjoy reading so I end up setting my book down:(

City|Life|Eats June 17, 2011 at 11:43 am

I loved the sisterhood books. Cannot wait to read Sisterhood Everlasting!!

owlmazing June 17, 2011 at 11:48 am

Recently I listened to the help and the kitchen house audio books and I read the slap by Christos Tsiolkas. The Slap was good, but it wasn’t anything ‘special’. I adored the kitchen house though! And I will definitely be referring to this list for some more summer picks!

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Kitchen House was really good – i enjoyed it a lot!

Tiff June 17, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I’ve been wanting to read Room, but I’m worried it would depress me. I read The Art of Racing in the Rain. I liked it – not love – but like. I’m currently on The Pillars of the Earth, but I’m not sure yet if I like it. Hmmm… hard to say…

Enjoy your reads!

Allison's Delicious Life June 17, 2011 at 12:15 pm

The Kitchen Daughter sounds fabulous! I love when bloggers post book recommendations. I think many of us have similar interests and share a passion for reading, which is understandable since we all love to write!

cbrady3 June 17, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Didn’t know about that new Sisterhood book! So excited now!

mego@watchmegorun June 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I literally just ordered ‘the art of racing in the rain’, I’m pumped to read it too. I also got ‘the glass castle’, which I’ve heard is amazing. I just finished “one day” (it’ll be a movie this summer). It was so good!

familyfoodfitnessandfun.com June 17, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I love your book selections! There is just something about summer that makes reading fun! I just finished Room and it was really good, I highly recommend it :) Happy reading!

fitinthemidwest June 17, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain. It’s sad, but such a good and moving story.

I just finished The Help, which was really good. I want to read Room too.

heather June 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm

You MUST read “The Art of Racing in the Rain”. It’s the BEST! I now know that when I play tug of war with my dog’s fav animal and she drops it, it’s bc it’s her fav and doesn’t want it to rip! (that didn’t give anything away, don’t worry). Such a quick read and great for the summer and if you need to use up extra boxes of kleenex!

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I’m still working on my A-Z list but other books I finding fun suggestions from others to interrupt my list. :-)

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen June 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm

The Art of Racing in the Rain is one of my absolute favorites! Definitely have the tissues handy. Let me know what you think of it!!!

Tara June 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I have to find that sisterhood of the traveling pants book! I loved that series!!! Girl in translation sounds really good to. I’m so excited to start my summer reading now!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Your summer reading list looks great! I think I’ll read some of those too – they sounds really interesting. Thanks for the ideas!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee June 17, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I’ve read Room, I highly recommend it!! It’s told completely from the perspective of the little boy, so it’s unique in a good way. I hope you enjoy it :)

Kari June 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Just bought Water for Elephants. So many people said they didn’t have an interest in reading it but once they started they just could not put it down. I sure hope that’s true, because there’s nothing better than a really good book!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 17, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I love lists like this…and i will probably not read any of them, just b/c I have no time, but I love reading excerpts of what people are reading. Strange but true :)

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm

haha that was the best comment ever.

sisrocks1996 June 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for giving me ideas! I never read anything, but I love to read! So anxious to hear what you think of all of these so maybe I can pretend I will read them someday, but really forget they exist. Seems like all I get read now a days is chick lit and Oxygen magazine! Art of Racing In The Rain though is AMAZING. Tearjerker, but a really good book none the less!

gabriellaroselli June 17, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I love reading. I’ve been breezing through books this summer cause I have a little more time on my hands. I’ve finishing up The Forgotten Garden now which was really good and makes me want to read Kate Morton’s other two books. Next is Winter Garden and I really want to read The Hunger Games series, but I’m about 105 on the waiting list in my library (no joke). I know there are some Jodi Picoult’s I need to catch up on too. I’ve read all of her books. I love getting suggestions from other people!

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I’ve never heard of Forgotten Garden – I’ll have to check it out!

izzy June 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I just devoured “Summer and the City” by the chick who wrote Sex and the City – its the second book in her “Carrie Diaries” series; so good! (I [heart] Chick-lit). I’ve just started “Skinny Dip” by Carl Hiaasen and so far, SOO good! I also recommend anything by Sophie Kinsella or Emily Giffin :)

I cant wait to read that Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants book!!!

izzyy
xox

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I’ve been reading like crazy this summer – I love that I actually have time for it now! I’m not sure what I want to read next, but so far I’ve read The Glass Castle, Fried Green Tomatoes, The Good Daughters, and Tempting Faith DiNapoli. All of them were amazing!

cleaneatingchelsey June 17, 2011 at 7:35 pm

You’re the second person who has said something about The Glass Castle – I have to get it!

Brittany June 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm

The Glass Castle was one of the only books i’ve ever read twice. Read it. You won’t regret it.

Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice June 17, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Hey Chelsea, I also read The Glass Castle (Jeanette Walls) in February. I think what I took away from the book is that – no matter what im struggling with, I have it good, and have so much to be thankful for. It has a good ending; I was inspired by it.

Would highly recommend.

Lilly June 17, 2011 at 7:52 pm

The Glass Castle was amazing, I couldn’t put it down! Also The Girl Who played with fire was good too. Thanks for the list, I will def be checking them out! I can’t wait to read more this summer :)

Tamara June 17, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I tried to get through Room, but found the voice hard to get past (grammar of an educationally and socially secluded 5-year-old). A few of the moms in my reading club had to stop reading it, while others (mothers included) found it a very strong and creative piece.

Our book club is reading The Art of Racing in the Rain right now. I LOVE having the POV from Enzo. It’s so creative and thought provoking. It is an emotional book, but still amazing.

Happy reading!

Christine June 17, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Room is great (I did a write up on it on my book blog). I give the author credit for being able to write from such a different perspective.

abznoats June 17, 2011 at 11:09 pm

On my reading list is Skinny Bitch. I am reading Eating Animals right now!

cleaneatingchelsey June 18, 2011 at 7:00 am

Eating Animals is an AWESOME read!

Marissa June 18, 2011 at 8:51 am

Ugh, I only got through ONE book (“Water for Elephants”–very good!) on “my” summer reading list before I got my school summer reading list…. now, instead of reading “The Art of Racing in the Rain” (which has been on my list FOREVER, but school = no time) I’m reading “Persuasion” by Jane Austen… which isn’t too too bad… but I still feel asleep with it lying open on my face yesterday.

Sophie @ threetimesf June 18, 2011 at 11:14 am

Wow, I loved The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants – Thank you so much for introducing me to this latest!
I am currently breezing through some Jodi Picoult, and have The Art of Racing in the Rain waiting for me….after that, I want to tackle the BBCs Big Read Top 100 (too ambitious?!)

Nicole @ Of Cookies & Carrots June 18, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I saw ROom the other day at barnes an dnoble and I really really wanted to read it! :) It’s definitely on my list. :)

n

peacebeme June 19, 2011 at 12:07 pm

You have to read “The Art of Racing in the Rain”, it is SO good. I still think about it all the time. Right now, I am reading “The Hunger Games”.

thebeautynotebooks June 19, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I LOVE A Winter’s Garden by Kristin Hannah! so much. Would you say any of her other books top that? I am worried that if I read any of her others, they just won’t compare!

cleaneatingchelsey June 20, 2011 at 6:02 am

My two other favorite by her are FIrefly Lane and Night Road – not really the same with the historical aspect, but they are fabulous reads. If you like the historical fiction weaved into present day fiction, I would suggest reading Her Mother’s Hope and Her Daughter’s Dream.

Amanda @ the beauty notebooks June 26, 2011 at 12:20 am

great, thank you!

Kaitlyn June 20, 2011 at 4:17 pm

You and I sound pretty similar! I LOVE to read, and I used to be a super fast reader as a kid. I’d get in trouble for not paying attention when we would take turns reading out loud in class for not paying attention, when in actuality I was reading ahead and didn’t know where the class was when I got called on. I’ve recently been making more of an effort to put a dent in my list since school makes it tough!

fat burning furnace ebook August 19, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Hello. Cool article. There’s a problem with the site in firefox, and you might want to test this… The browser is the market chief and a large component to folks will omit your fantastic writing due to this problem.