fill me up blueberry pancakes

August 13, 2011

I have a favorite pancake recipe I like to make.

It’s so much my favorite, in fact, that I don’t even need to use a recipe. Well, that may be because I’m the one who concocted it. But, if I were to use someone else’s recipe, I so wouldn’t need that measly little piece of paper getting splashed with pancake batter because I don’t know where to put it.

July 29, 2011 010

The same thing happens every single time I make these pancakes. I get the batter all ready, look at it, and think “really? that’s all i get today? come on chels — indulge a little. live on the wild side. why don’t you eat six of these little guys?”

Then, I turn on the burners, pour 1/4 cup batter into three perfectly portioned blueberry pancakes and get angry.

These look like toddler pancakes. Seriously? A four year old could eat these and still have room for like five sippy cups of juice.

Apparently I need to invest in sippy cups.

::sigh::

August 13, 2011 023

Then when it comes time to actually sit down and eat, I’m still mad. Sure, I have piled on the toppings (my favorite sauce consists of: 1 tbsp. maple syrup, 1/2 smashed banana, 1 tbsp. peanut butter, and 2 tbsp. almond milk microwaved for 30 seconds), but if I’m going to be eating pancakes, they should be so large they are taking over my plate. Don’t I know anything!?

August 13, 2011 027

Then the kicker comes. I start eating, and by the end of the second pancakes, these bad boys have already dominated my stomach. I’m full. I could stop eating. I don’t need anything more. But I keep on trucking. That third pancake calls to me like a new Coach purse at the beginning of a season.

And so I eat it. Then I curse myself for eating pancakes right before hot yoga class. But they’re good — they’re really really good.

August 13, 2011 030
Fill Me Up Blueberry Pancakes(serves one)

• 1/4 cup gluten free flour
  • 1/4 cup gluten free oats
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • cinnamon (as much as you’d like!)
  • 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. ground flax + 3 tbsp. water, mixed and left to sit for 5 minutes)
  • 1 and 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp. almond milk
  • 1/3 cup blueberries

Directions: Start by preparing your flax egg. Mix 1 tbsp. ground flax with 3 tbsp. warm water and leave to sit while you prepare the rest of the batter. Meanwhile, combine your flour, oats, baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix your dry ingredients together, and then begin adding your wet ingredients (applesauce, flax egg, almond milk, vanilla extract). Mix until all ingredients are combined and then gently fold in your blueberries. Heat a greased griddle pan to medium high heat and pour equally sized portions of the pancake batter onto the griddle. Wait until bubbles start to appear on the perimeter of the pancakes (~2-3 minutes), and flip. Cook for another 1-2 minutes and serve with your favorite toppings!

August 13, 2011 026
Now that I am sufficiently stuffed, I suppose I should roll myself and put on some yoga pants. Fortunately I have a an excuse for that (going to yoga), but even if I didn’t, I’d still be wearing them all day.

Gosh, I love these pancakes.

Question: Have you ever had a meal where you thought it wouldn’t fill you up and you were surprised when you were stuffed afterwards?

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 13, 2011 at 7:24 am

Pancakes always remind me of the weekend :-) These look like the perfect Saturday morning breakfast!

I’m always surprised by how FILLING smoothies are. By the end of mine, I feel like I’m about to burst!

Jaime August 13, 2011 at 7:26 am

Non-fat, flat pancakes? Aren’t truly pancakes. Sorry.

cleaneatingchelsey August 13, 2011 at 7:30 am

Thanks for your opinion Jaime. Luckily the great thing about the blog world is you don’t have to try anything you don’t want to. And seeing as this is a positive space, next time I would love for you to keep it positive. Thanks!

Jaime August 13, 2011 at 10:52 am

I wasn’t trying to come off mean; sorry if I did. I just don’t understand why everyone tries so hard to eliminate/minimize fat from recipes. It’s necessary and vital to our bodies. And it makes things taste good.

cleaneatingchelsey August 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm

No problem Jaime – I absolutely do NOT eliminate fat. In fact, I embrace it. If you read before the recipe, you’ll see how I topped my pancakes with peanut butter, which is one of the reasons why they “stick” for so long. Also, the protein and fat from the flax also help to keep the fullness factor.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} August 13, 2011 at 7:28 am

I feel like everything fills me up quickly these days. I guess the little baby is taking up all the room in there!

Blueberry pancakes are so perfect when fresh berries are in season. Great recipe!

Kate August 13, 2011 at 7:34 am

These look great I have yet to get a good gluten free pancake so im impressed with yours plus anything blueberry has me falling in love!

Jeni Clark August 13, 2011 at 7:35 am

HI there!
I too am a blogger from Lockport! How Cool! http://www.realnutritionblog.blogspot.com
Wanted to mention Digestive Wellness… FABULOUS ingredients for us GF folks! For those of us with a compromised gut, grains of any kind wreak havoc on the GI track. We switched to Almond Flour, Pecan Flour, Coconut Flour etc.. and saw amazing results in healing our GI tract. The recipes are amazing! Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS diet–Campbell-McBride) is a great resource for those looking to move beyond Gluten Intolerance.
Happy Blogging! :)
Jeni~

Corey @ Learning Patience August 13, 2011 at 7:36 am

Those look great! I’m always shocked at how filling eggs whites are — you think – oh that’s not going to fill me up but man those little things are so full of protein! Happy Saturday to you! xoxo from Trinidad

Sweet and Savvy August 13, 2011 at 7:38 am

I’m not normally a fan of blueberry flavored things… but this recipe looks Like a perfect weekend breakfast!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas August 13, 2011 at 7:41 am

I have a fear that foods will not fill me up! Besides loving my oats – I often worry that other breakfast options will leave me feeling hungry! I suppose it would be best if I branched out!

Kelsey @ My Search of Summer August 13, 2011 at 7:41 am

Those look delicious. I’ll be having pancakes this morning as well but have to wait until after my run!

Jaime August 13, 2011 at 7:42 am

just wanted to say that *this* Jaime loves you and your pancakes :-)

cleaneatingchelsey August 13, 2011 at 7:53 am

ahahah Thanks Jaime!

Gina @ running to the kitchen August 13, 2011 at 7:45 am

I love ad hate when that happens! Hate it bc I hate wasting food but love it bc it usually means whatever I was eating was good and filling! Blueberries are my favorite :)

kaila @ healthy helper! August 13, 2011 at 7:50 am

I wish I could get filled up that easily! I have to eat a ton for breakfast….I’m starvin when I wake up in the morning!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 13, 2011 at 8:06 am

Yum these look great!

It’s pretty hard to fill me up ;)

Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze August 13, 2011 at 8:17 am

My eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach. I always think I can eat so much, but then I get full so quickly!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 13, 2011 at 8:21 am

Perfect weekend meal! these look fantastic :)

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 13, 2011 at 8:23 am

Perfect looking pancakes :D I always think the same thing about pancakes… I can’t believe that 3 or 4 could fill me up, but they always seem to. Still, I don’t usually mess with my oatmeal breakfasts… pancakes are a dinner food ;)

Katie @ Raisins&Apples August 13, 2011 at 8:30 am

I had pancakes for breakfast, too! Wish I ha seen these ones before I whipped up my regular protein ‘cakes :)

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. August 13, 2011 at 8:44 am

Pancakes always surprise me by filling me up before I’m close to being done with them! I load mine up with walnuts as well and it gives them an extra crunch, which some might find odd in a pancake, but my honey and I love it!

Lauren August 13, 2011 at 9:24 am

Those look so good! I have a habit of making pancakes on Sunday – I think I’ll try these out tomorrow!

I’m always surprised at how quickly veggies fill me up! Unfortunately, the filled-up feeling from them doesn’t have much staying power and I find myself hungry again an hour later.

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 13, 2011 at 9:28 am

LOVE your recipe! (pat yourself on the back you smart cookie!) :P ….I love your positive space Chelsey and your kind way of stating that. This is why you are a ROCK STAR BLOGGER! ……I am always surprised at how 100 calories of popcorn fills me up!
Happy Saturday!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy August 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

These sound delicious! I need to make pancakes more often! Enjoy yoga!!! :)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 13, 2011 at 11:28 am

I totally know what you mean–I always think 3 pancakes won’t fill me up, but I always end up stuffed.

It doubt myself every time, despite the fact that I’ve made pancakes a gajillion times.

I wonder if Web MD has a diagnosis for pancake paranoia? ;)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 13, 2011 at 11:30 am

Yum Yum Yum!!! Those pancakes look delicious. I’m on a total pancake kick right now, no idea why!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 13, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Yum! Blueberry pancakes are my all time favorite “fancier” breakfast! :)

Ayla August 13, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Those pancakes look great Chelsey!! I’m saving the recipe and will most likely be making it for breakfast tomorrow. I haven’t had pancakes in forever and these look absolutely perfect, especially because starting today, I’m giving gluten-free a go.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm

PANNNCAKE PARTY!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Vegan AND gf pancakes can be tricky! You totally succeeded in making these look amazing! I have one pancake recipe on my site (vegan, GF, topped with blueberries) and am always looking for more vegan/gf recipes…thank you! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 13, 2011 at 3:48 pm

These look great! I looooove blueberry pancakes. :D I always think that my pancakes won’t fill me up either. But they leave me just as full as a bowl of oatmeal.

I’m always surprised when tiny meals at upscale restaurants fill me up. I guess it’s because they use so many rich ingredients that even a little portion is enough to satisfy me!

Pure2raw twins August 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm

yum gluten free and vegan pancakes! we love making pancakes too! the other weekend we actually had a pancake shown down, so we ate a lot of pancakes! haha fun times – pancakes are the best!

Jess August 13, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Those look amazing!! :D I love pancakes–but they MUST be filling!!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 13, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Yumm! A perfect Saturday morning breakfast if you ask me, blueberries are the perfect addition :)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate August 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm

These look awesome :)

Molly August 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Those look so good!

katie August 13, 2011 at 6:18 pm

happy saturday!

Mmmmmm these look good! I wish my pancakes turned out like this when I make them! Im trying to perfect coconut flour pancakes, having no success! lol

xoxo <3

cleaneatingchelsey August 13, 2011 at 6:40 pm

ugh coconut flour pancakes are a mess – I’ve totally tried it before.

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 13, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Those pancakes look.insanely.delicious. yummy!!

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) August 14, 2011 at 12:20 am

Hi Chelsey! I have a question…do you use the bob’s redmill all purpose gluten free flour? I’m new to GF eating and so I’m still trying to figure out baking gluten free.

P.S. You’re so cute! I love reading your stories and thoughts. I definitely have that feeling all the time but I keep on truckin’ because I just love food too much :X

cleaneatingchelsey August 14, 2011 at 6:53 am

I do use that flour! It’s super easy because you don’t have to work with 5 different flour proportions.

Lucy @ Porridge and Parsnips August 14, 2011 at 3:23 am

These pancakes look fantastic!

I picked up some reduced blueberries a couple of days ago & still have some to use up…so I am going to go into the kitchen right now & make these for my Sunday breakfast! Thanks!! :-D

Lucy @ Porridge and Parsnips August 14, 2011 at 3:55 am

Verdict: Taste fantastic, presentation fail! I think I under measured my oats & flour (I don’t get on well with cups!!) so the mix was too liquidy – it all merged together in the pan, oops!! I still ate it all though, delicious, & I am now happily full! :) Thanks again!

cleaneatingchelsey August 14, 2011 at 6:52 am

Oh no! :) One thing I do if I have a liquidy batter, I just keep adding more flour until it fits my needs! :)

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee August 14, 2011 at 9:02 am

Salad with cottage cheese and edamame is surprisingly filling!! Also veggie stuffed bell peppers. This recipe is amazing!

Julia August 14, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Oh my goodness, Chelsey! I was so excited to see this recipe, since I went vegan I thought I couldn’t have pancakes anymore. 2 years later these gems proved me wrong! I made them this morning for my dad (non-veg) and myself. SO DELICIOUS! I made them with whole grain spelt flour and regular rolled oats, but they were hearty, rich, and unbelievably good! I am so full and energized, a feeling I never got with pancakes from a box. Thanks for the recipe, it made our Sunday!

xo Julia

Jennifer August 14, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I made these pancakes for lunch today and they are delicious! They remind me of the recipe that my mom’s friend’s Irish mother used to make–only yours, Chelsey, are considerably healthier :) I sang the praises of this recipe to my mom, so now she has it and will, I’m sure, be making them soon!

Thanks!

Erica @ A Healthy Habit August 14, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Just came across your blog and I love that a lot of your focus is on gluten free goodies. My dad recently got diagnosed and your recipes/info are so helpful!

cleaneatingchelsey August 14, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Thanks for reading Erica!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles August 14, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Mmmmm pancakes are my absolute favorite!! I always get a side with my wraps and sandwiches, thinking they won’t fill me up (salads too), but they ALWAYS do! It’s fine, then I end up with a second meal later in the day.

Season July 28, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I just want to say bravo!! Not only for obviously clean DELISH food (I am GF Vegan, soy free, corn free-YIKES!), but, for being direct and kind to the young lady who was so negative. Too bad she didn’t have any good suggestion either. Have a wonderful day and I will be sharing this on the radio!!

Katie September 21, 2012 at 11:38 am

I made these today- SO amazing!! I topped mine with peanut butter sauce and more blueberries. These turned out better for me than your other blueberry pancake recipe. Can’t wait to make them for my family!

Amy October 26, 2012 at 1:44 pm

This recipe looks amazing! 6 months ago I was tested & found out I’m gluten intolerant & that I’m allergic to a bunch of foods including eggs, corn, rice, soy, oats, dairy and a few other items. I’m also supposed to be eating foods with a low glycemic index. Obviously having to change my entire diet & lifestyle was a MAJOR adjustment! But I’m feeling so much better now that I’ve eliminated those things!

Now I guess you could say that I’m basically eating vegan, gluten free & somewhat of a paleo diet? :) Lately I’ve been getting bored with my diet though & have been scouring the internet for recipes. I stumbled across your website & thought a lot of your recipes soundedgreat! I noticed a lot of them have oats in them though & since I’m allergic to oats, I was wondering if I could still make these recipes & substitute something else in for them? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Miranda December 15, 2012 at 9:05 am

I tried this recipe this morning, and it was great! Certainly a keeper, and it really did feel me up! Applesauce works great in it as a fat substitute :)

Vienna January 14, 2013 at 12:04 am

Yay, these didn’t give me an insulin spike like regular pancakes! I felt satiated. They were hearty with nice texture. I didn’t have applesauce, so I skipped it altogether and added liquid stevia instead. The batter was really thick and I had to cook them quite long, but even so, were so good. Topped with coconut oil mixed with more stevia before eating.

Lilly January 22, 2013 at 8:54 am

Hi there! Wondering if there is a sub. For flax egg. I only have whole seeds. Upon reply…I’m making these bad boys!

Vienna January 23, 2013 at 5:27 pm

If you have a coffee or spice grinder, grind up the seeds in the amount that you use them. There are recipes for Ener-G, and other vegan eggs like banana, yogurt, tofu if you google. This one looks interesting but never tried myself:

I obtained this from the kidshealth.org website. I have had the best success with the third one:
“When preparing your own food, you can substitute one of these egg alternatives in your recipes. Each of these replaces one egg (these substitutes may not work as well in recipes that call for more than three eggs):

* 1 teaspoon baking powder + 1 tablespoon liquid + 1 tablespoon vinegar
* 1 teaspoon yeast dissolved in ¼ cup warm water
* 1½ tablespoons water + 1½ tablespoons oil + 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 tablespoon pureed fruit such as apricots or bananas”

Cheryl July 28, 2013 at 11:47 am

These pancakes are awesome! I promptly made another batch, because I wanted more immediately! I used millet flour, omitted vanilla extract (didn’t have any), subbed water for almond milk (also didn’t have any), added a little carob powder and traded cherries for blueberries. So good!

Kelly December 31, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Hello, I was wondering if almond flour or oat flour would work as the flour? Thanks!

cleaneatingchelsey January 4, 2014 at 9:49 am

Absolutely! Almond flour will make the consistency a little different and they won’t rise quite as much, and oat flour will give it a heavier consistency… but both will work!