roasted potato broccoli and white bean soup

September 28, 2011

I think I’ve already declared my love for soup to you all.

September 27, 2011 006
I’m back to my one pot a week soup making ritual  – which is good for me. The Husband doesn’t believe it’s good for him. In fact, he deemed it “too early for soup season”. I’m sorry — but who exactly are you and how did I end up marrying you? It is never too soon for soup season you leg shaking son of a gun!

September 27, 2011 019
Can I be honest with you for a minute here? (As if I’m never honest?)

One soup that I legitimately miss is Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar soup. It’s creamy. It’s broccoli’y (?), and well, it’s everything that I can’t have. Aside from the gluten and dairy products, I’d be good to do.

So when I started making this soup, I had Panera’s in mind.

And then it turned out nothing like Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup, and believe you me, it didn’t turn out to be such a bad thing.

September 27, 2011 011

Usually when I make soup, I throw everything into a pot and call it a day. This soup actually took some time. I had to roast some vegetables. I had to actually simmer the soup. It probably took about two hours total. Sorry I’m not sorry because it’s delicious, and you should take two hours to make it anyways.

Because really when I say two hours, I don’t mean you’re standing in your kitchen for two hours. In total, you’ll probably be in your kitchen for about twenty minutes, and the other one hundred minutes can be spent doing whatever your little heart desires. Maybe you can do some laundry. Maybe you can eat some cookies. Maybe you can take a nap (yes, do that.). Whatever you do, it won’t be required that you are in the kitchen. Trust me.

September 27, 2011 018

Roasted Potato Broccoli and White Bean Soup

Serves: 4-6
Difficulty: Medium
Total Time: 1.5 — 2 hours

• 2 cans white cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 crown broccoli, chopped
  • 10-12 small red potatoes, quartered
  • 1 head garlic
  • 1/2 white onion, diced
  • 1 cup slow roasted tomatoes (or 1-15 oz can stewed tomatoes)
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1-2 tsp. basil
  • salt to taste

Directions:

We will break this recipe into two parts — the first part is roasting the vegetables. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit while you are working on quartering your potatoes and chopping your broccoli. Once your oven is preheated, spray a rectangle of foil with cooking spray and add your bulb of garlic. Toss the potatoes in one tablespoon of olive oil and place in a single layer on a roasting pan. Roast for 25 minutes before adding your broccoli for an additional 20 minutes. In total, your potatoes should roast for about 45 minutes. Once your potatoes are done, you can also remove the garlic from the oven.

When your vegetables are done roasting, you can start working on assembling the soup. Start by heating 1 tbsp. of olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot with a heavy bottom. Add your diced onion and cook, stirring frequently until the onion is translucent (~5 minutes). After your onion is translucent, add your vegetable broth and water. Then, add all of your other ingredients: white beans (drained and rinsed), roasted potatoes, broccoli, tomatoes, nutritional yeast, and spices. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat down to simmer. Once the heat is lowered to “low”, transfer two cups of the soup to a blender and puree. Add this back to the pot to thicken the soup. Continue to simmer for at least 30 minutes and serve.

September 27, 2011 017

I’m going to bring this one to the soup party.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 28, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I love Panera’s broccoli and cheddar soup! Yum.

I’m a huge soup fan too, so I’ll probably be using your soup recipes quite frequently. ;) This one looks delish!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 28, 2011 at 6:06 pm

The soup looks great and really hearty and perfect for a chill fall or winter day!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 28, 2011 at 6:08 pm

oh my god you did not just mention panera’s broccoli cheddar soup. I got that ALL THE TIME in high school. Then I realized how bad it was for me… ugh but sooo good.

cleaneatingchelsey September 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm

sometimes it’s okay to overlook the “badness” of foods – I say this because I can’t ea tthem! haha!

Bethany I. September 28, 2011 at 6:11 pm

The broccoli cheddar soup isn’t vegetarian friendly either: chicken base [chicken meat in chicken broth {chicken meat, chicken broth, chicken fat, modified corn starch and/or rice flour, salt}, salt, hydrolyzed corn and soy protein, sugar, natural flavorings, potato flour, autolyzed yeast extract, carrot powder, turmeric]
That’s from their site and I only knew this because a friend had mentioned it to me in passing since she worked there.

Bethany I. September 28, 2011 at 6:13 pm

oops the rest of my sentence didn’t make it in there.
But I used to love that soup too! It was just perfect because I love broccoli soup!
I’m definitely making your soup next week for dinner. Oh I can’t wait!

cleaneatingchelsey September 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm

grossssss!!!!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 28, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I am soo happy about all these soup recipes! Loves it as well :)

janae jacobs September 28, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I was literally waiting for this recipe all day after I saw it on your blog this morning….thank you!

cleaneatingchelsey September 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm

you’re welcome! You could have just come over for soup tonight – sheesh! ;)

Katie @ Raisins&Apples September 28, 2011 at 6:40 pm

This basically looks amazing—and relatively inexpensive, which makes me double-happy!

Missy September 28, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Ladle worthy. You done good.
PS– Is nutritional yeast ever optional? LOL.

cleaneatingchelsey September 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm

not for me!

Jenny September 28, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I have a feeling the hubs didn’t miss his meat at all tonight! you’re going to convert him in no time ;) !

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 28, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I’m glad you gave good “roasting” instructions…roasted broccoli last week for a little too long – boy, did it stink!!! shew!

cleaneatingchelsey September 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm

haha! Yes, broccoli definitely does not need as much time as potatoes!

Tiffany September 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Oh my goodness that soup looks divine! I can’t wait to make it. Thanks for sharing and getting us ready for soup season.

Tiffany
heandsheeatclean.com

Christina @ The Athletarian September 28, 2011 at 7:52 pm

THANK YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 28, 2011 at 7:56 pm

How awesome is this word “”broccoli’y (?)”"
Answer: AWESOME …..and so is Panera- I ate there today, rare. It’s been years and it was delicious. I drove the 3.5 hours to the dr. and decided Panera would make the day brighter!

cleaneatingchelsey September 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Okay, you really DO live out in the sticks, don’t you?

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Why is the soup at Panera so darn delicious?! WHY?! :-)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama September 28, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I make soup about once a week all winter too. Love it. Soups with roasted vegetables are the best!

Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection September 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I can’t wait to try out this recipe! I’m a soup lover too…I even eat it throughout the summer, not as often, but I still crave it during those hot months…weird? maybe. but it works for me! : )

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Can I please be invited to the soup party? The first thing I thought of when I read the title of the post was actually Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar! I do miss it. I seriously think I need to make this soup this week. Maybe it’ll be not 80F here!

Chelsea September 28, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I get panera’s broccoli cheddar soup EVERY time I go there! Hey at least I don’t get it in the bread bowl anymore, right?! This looks mighty delicious though! I just wish I had a day where I was home for two hours and not asleep haha.

Felicia @ Natural + Balanced September 28, 2011 at 9:44 pm

i love making soup! this looks delicious :)

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land September 28, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I never really thought of myself as a soup person, but I am realizing that once the weather turned to fall, it is all I can think about. Move over salads, soup is moving in! I will definitely be trying this recipe–it looks fantastic!

Lara @TresLaLa September 29, 2011 at 12:16 am

I’ve got an idea! You make the soup, I’ll nap, then I’ll eat the soup. Good deal?

Karen @ She Flies With Her Own Wings September 29, 2011 at 12:30 am

I just had a delicious minestrone soup for dinner, it is definitely getting to be soup season!
I’ve never been a fan of creamy soups, but this one looks light & healthy enough to catch my interest. I’ll keep it in mind as the days start getting colder!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 29, 2011 at 6:33 am

This soup looks so worth the effort to make it!

I’ve never had any Panera soups or salads, but I JUST discovered that we actually have one in Canada! Of course, it has to be 2.5 hours away from where I go to school. :P

Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 29, 2011 at 11:39 am

Yum, this one looks so rich and satisfying. It truly looks like a dinner in a bowl :) .

Anna September 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I’m also a teacher and am all about making soup for the week. Every Sunday, I make a big Crockpot full of soup or curry and then divvy it up between 5 containers. This looks like a keeper! Thanks for a new recipe!

Alicia F. September 30, 2011 at 8:07 am

I LOVE soup!!! I make it the summer sometimes and my hubby thinks I’m crazy! lol
Thanks for sharing this! I am TOTALLY making it next week! :-)

Corrina_R September 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Hi Chelsey, I am just writing out this soup recipe and wondering when I put the roasted garlic in? Thanks, I am excited to make it :)

cleaneatingchelsey October 1, 2011 at 6:39 am

You can putthe roasted garlic in when you put in all of the other roasted vegetables!

jordanarae October 2, 2011 at 10:30 am

Just finished making this yesterday with my slow cooker and I think I got it down to 12 physical minutes in the kitchen! If I just could have had my boyfriend as my sous-chef I could have had it down to 5. However he chose hockey over dicing. Boys.

caren @ voodies October 1, 2012 at 10:18 am

Ah, this soup looks GORGEOUS!! I just found your blog and I’m in love. As a fellow clean eater, I can’t get enough of healthy recipes.

XO

Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre October 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Making this….immediately. Pinned, saved, and bookmarked.

Caroline October 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Made this last night. Had 2 bowls for dinner, a bowl for breakfast, and am about to eat another for tonight’s dinner as well…. so, yeah, it is freaking delicious!! THANK YOU!!