roasted green cabbage

January 2, 2012

It’s only the second day of the new year, and I have already done one of the smartest things I think I will ever do in 2012. It was wild. It was crazy. I still can’t believe I did it. Let me tell you – I don’t know what I’ve been doing for the last 24.5 years of my life, but I can tell you one thing.

January 1, 2012 017

I have been roasting everything and anything other than what I really should have been roasting all along.

Cabbage.

January 1, 2012 008

In an effort to get rid of all produce that is in my fridge before Wednesday when I leave for Orlando, I needed to eat this green cabbage pronto. Despite the fact the Husband will still be here, the only thing that will be entering that boy’s mouth while I’m gone is probably pizza — which means I should get on top of preparing some foods for him to eat while I’m gone.

Roasting vegetables is my absolute favorite way to eat them. I’m a huge fan of dumping a large quantity of vegetables on a tray, drizzling them in some olive oil, and baking them until they’re crusty on the outside and deliciously tender on the inside. So why I waited this long to roast cabbage is beyond me.

January 1, 2012 015

You know what cabbage is kind of like? Brussels sprouts — also known as my most favorite vegetable in the world besides potatoes. I’ve always thought that brussels sprouts taste like tiny little cabbages and that cabbage tastes like huge brussels sprouts. So I decided to cut this cabbage into half, then into fourths, then into eighths, coat the pieces in olive oil, and drool at my oven door for 30 minutes while they cooked to perfections.

When cabbage is roasted, it takes on an almost sweet flavor and sort of melts in your mouth while still having some crunch to it. I. am. in. love.

I enjoyed these as a side dish to my dinner last night, but in reality I almost ate the entire cabbage. Nothing says Happy New Year quite like a bloated stomach from eating a pound of cabbage, right?

Right.

Khushboo January 2, 2012 at 6:14 am

Definitely never even thought to roast cabbage…good call! Roasting really does take veggies to a new level, especially cauliflower!

cleaneatingchelsey January 2, 2012 at 7:31 am

oh gosh – roasted cauliflower is like God’s gift to me.

Katie @ Raisins&Apples January 2, 2012 at 6:21 am

I adore cabbage as a side dish! It doesn’t always have to be in a slaw or soup…on its own is so much better!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 2, 2012 at 6:35 am

“I’ve always thought that brussels sprouts taste like tiny little cabbages and that cabbage tastes like huge brussels sprouts” <— that's because they're both members of the cruicerfous family and they ARE both cabbages and closely related. So yes, cabbage is sort of like one big brussel sprout!

cleaneatingchelsey January 2, 2012 at 7:30 am

Damn straight.

Cindy January 2, 2012 at 6:37 am

This looks really good but i have a question. Is the roasting time 15 miniutes or 30 minutes? It has both times in the recipe.

cleaneatingchelsey January 2, 2012 at 7:30 am

Thanks for catching that Cindy. I meant to write flip it at 15 minutes – roast it for thirty minutes total!

Hannah January 2, 2012 at 6:51 am

That sounds so yummy! I’ll have to make that next week!

Sara @my less serious life January 2, 2012 at 6:54 am

i completely understand this feeling of what have i been doing when first discovering the goodness that is roasted cabbage. i had some leftover (from making your cabbage soup, actually!) and didn’t want to waste it so i roasted it. amazing. glad to see i’m not the only one! yum!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 2, 2012 at 7:11 am

Adding more veggies is a goal of mine in the coming weeks! So this is such a timely post! Do you roast all your veggies on 425?
P.S. You should read my post today. It’ll make you smile.

cleaneatingchelsey January 2, 2012 at 7:30 am

I do roast all my veggies on 425. They’re perfection.

PS – I always read your posts. I always smile.

Linz January 2, 2012 at 7:30 am

ummmm GENIUS!!!! looks super easy and i will definitely be trying this!!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

OH MY GOSH WHAT A GOOD IDEA!!!
I love roasted vegetables, I love green cabbage….
You’re a genius!

kathleen @ the daily crumb January 2, 2012 at 7:50 am

i have never had roasted cabbage, but could live off of roasted brussels sprouts (literally), so i will have to give this a try! sometimes the simplest recipes are the yummiest!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 2, 2012 at 8:03 am

I LOVE CABBAGE! I eat it EVERYDAY! Usually steamed but I would love to try it roasted! Such a good idea!!!

Lori Lynn January 2, 2012 at 8:11 am

I never would have thought of doing that. It looks really good! I had grilled eggplant for the first time last summer, and it became one of my favorites.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 2, 2012 at 8:17 am

Why haven’t I thought of this before?! cabbage is like brussels sprouts and they are delicious roasted so I can’t believe I never thought that cabbage would be too! I always have leftover cabbage when I buy it (I swear it multiplies in the fridge) so this is perfect!

cleaneatingchelsey January 2, 2012 at 12:45 pm

my cabbage always multiplies too – what gives?

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 2, 2012 at 8:29 am

“I’ve always thought that brussels sprouts taste like tiny little cabbages and that cabbage tastes like huge brussels sprouts.” <– that made me smile- because I completely agree! This is the perfect way to make cabbage! Mmmmm!

cleaneatingchelsey January 2, 2012 at 12:44 pm

We’re always on the same page!!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 2, 2012 at 8:31 am

why have I not thought of this! Amazing, cannot wait to try :D

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 2, 2012 at 8:33 am

I taught my mother the joy of roasting vegetables while I’ve been home and she’s amazed! so easy!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate January 2, 2012 at 8:34 am

I’ve never met a roasted veggie I didn’t love :-) Love the pics here!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 2, 2012 at 8:39 am

I’ve never tried roasting cabbage, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Sounds like a winner to me!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee January 2, 2012 at 9:09 am

those are so pretty! needs to be on foodgawker. :)

cleaneatingchelsey January 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Thanks Maria! The lighting is too off for FG – they’re uber picky!

nicole marie January 2, 2012 at 9:20 am

yes yes yes! this post speaks to my heart because i am a closet cabbage roaster. ;) scrumptious, and i’ve been known to wrap it around a vegan sausage, adding marinara sauce . . . yielding vegan pigs in a blanket. please, applaud my creativity. haha. x

cleaneatingchelsey January 2, 2012 at 12:47 pm

That does sound really good!!

Autumn@Good Eats Girl January 2, 2012 at 9:41 am

You may have just changed my life with this one….I’ve never thought of roasting cabbage. YUM!! This will get done in our house soon!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 2, 2012 at 9:58 am

Honestly? I’ve never thought to do this… ever! Brilliant. We have 2 cabbages in the fridge (I don’t know what I was thinking, maybe a bit too ambitious) and I know exactly what I’m going to do with them now! Thanks for this :)

Amanda January 2, 2012 at 10:14 am

Roasting is my go-to method for cooking pretty much all vegetables, but I’ve never thought to roast cabbage! I love to saute cabbage in a little bit of olive oil, garlic, and braggs, and I bet roasting it would be amazing too. Adding cabbage to my grocery list now… :)

Samantha January 2, 2012 at 10:17 am

Yum! I’ve done this with red cabbage along with other veggies but I have a huge head of green cabbage in my fridge and will be roasteing it along with dinner tonight! Thanks for the idea! : )

Katie January 2, 2012 at 10:38 am

I’m so in love with roasted cabbage…I like to cut mine into rounds, but it always falls apart on me. I’ll have to try your wedge method. Yumm, I’m getting hungry.

cleaneatingchelsey January 2, 2012 at 12:47 pm

You’ve done it and never shared with me? Katie, I’m appalled!

M @ http://2dayzmpression.blogspot.com/ January 2, 2012 at 11:13 am

This looks delicious!!! Totally worth trying….do you usually roast only in the oven (bake or broil)?? or the bbq too?

Thanks for the great idea!

cleaneatingchelsey January 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Oh I roast on the grill during the summer – our grill is packed away for the winter though!

Emily (Edible Psychology) January 2, 2012 at 11:16 am

I have never thought of roasting cabbage! Sounds good!

And I really enjoyed reading about your plan/resolution for 2012. I like the idea of focusing on just one thing. Best wishes for 2012! I hope it is out of control in a really wonderful way!

cleaneatingchelsey January 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thanks Emily!

Suzi January 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I really like this idea. Never tried it but I am going to. I wouln’t have ever thought to roast cabbage but hey why not. Happy New Year.

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 2, 2012 at 12:08 pm

This is the second time I have seen roasted cabbage…Now I am definitely going to have to try this! :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life January 2, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I LOVE Brussels and I love shredded cabbage instead of lettuce in salads – so I cannot imagine not loving this. Yummay!

Katy @ A Shot of Life January 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I absolutely LOVE roasted cabbage! I make it the same way, and in fact, it’s on my menu for dinner tonight. :) Happy New Year!

Amy B @ Second City Randomness January 2, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Brussel sprouts were the best thing I learned to make last year. I always did wonder what would happen if you do the same with cabbage…

Btw, I hope you ended up having a good new years! Did you find an open ice rink after all?

Amber K January 2, 2012 at 2:15 pm

What a great idea! My husband hates cabbage, but I’ve already shown him how things can taste way better after roasting. I never would have thought to roast cabbage, but it sounds soo good. I also love brussel sprouts and I haven’t even thought to roast them either. Duh! Delicious.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 2, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Yumyum cabbage yum (this might actually make me enjoy the stuff)

COME COOK FOR ME.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Wow this is something I’ve never though to do before! I haven’t met a roasted vegetable that I don’t like, so I will definitely have to try this! :D

Crystal @ Tea Leaves and Vanilla January 2, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I often don’t buy cabbage because I don’t know what to do with the rest of it after I use 1/4 for a coleslaw. This is a great idea! I will be trying this in the future.

I love to roast yukon gold potatoes cut into wedges with olive oil, fresh rosemary, and garlic. Mmm!

Jen January 2, 2012 at 6:19 pm

It has never occurred to me to roast a cabbage, but this looks really delicious!

Bethany January 2, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Thanks for posting this idea! I just bought cabbage today and was noticing how inexpensive it is compared to so many veggies and thinking that I needed to figure out more ways to serve it.

Pure2raw twins January 2, 2012 at 7:19 pm

love cabbage. love it raw, making my own kraut. also loved it braised, so this recipe sounds wonderful!

Jordan January 2, 2012 at 7:29 pm

That sounds delicious! I have to say I am a HUGE veggie fan – carrots and broccoli rock my world haha. I love your recipes and look forward to reading more of them in 2012!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) January 2, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Brilliant! Why didn’t I think of that?? I must try it.

Emily January 2, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Since roasted vegetables seem to make their way into my meals on a daily basis, I can’t believe that I’ve never tried this. It sounds amazing! And your presentation is gorgeous.
What a perfect way to kick off the new year!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy January 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I’m a huge fan of roasted veggies, too – so freaking easy and delicious! Next up? Cabbage!!! I never thought I’d say this – but I’m kind of salivating thinking about it! haha

Sarah January 2, 2012 at 11:39 pm

This. is. genius!

Ameena January 3, 2012 at 2:04 am

I’ve never thought to roast cabbage but it looks delicious. And easy! I’ll definitely be trying this soon.

Happy 2012 Chelsey! Glad the year is off to a good start for you!

Katie January 4, 2012 at 6:22 am

I just ate a half a head of roasted purple cabbage for dinner and it was SO delicious… thank you for this simple but amazing idea.. yum!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 24, 2012 at 6:42 pm

This is my new favorite way to eat cabbage. SO GOOD.

Mindi October 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm

LOVE your blog!!

Andrea September 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Just found this and will be having this for dinner!!!

trukfit t shirts October 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm

What’s Developing i am a newcomer to this, I located this I’ve noticed It definitely helpful and contains helped all of us out masses. I dream to contribute & help out different people like the nation’s aided all of us. Great project.