mango avocado relish

February 2, 2012

For some reason, despite my almost 25 years of age, my beloved aunt does not trust me when using knives in the kitchen.

January 29, 2012 029

Every year, I am her Thanksgiving and Christmas helper, and I hear gasps of horror every time I handle a sharp object in her presence. She claims it is because I am left handed and when I hold a knife it looks weird — but she even freaks out a little bit when I peel vegetables. I am certain she is waiting for me to slice my thumb off or stab myself with a sharp object when she’s looking away.

It’s not that I’ve ever had a history with being a clumsy fool either***. I never drop anything, especially not on my feet, and I don’t jump around and squeal in pain when it feels like my toenail is about to fall off.

***that is a lie.

January 29, 2012 034

And I’m sure she is not thinking at all about that one time when I was unknowingly standing with my back about six inches away from a column in her home. Please now imagine me turning around to run away from my older sister and cousin and smacking my face right into it causing me to see stars for days.

Yeah, it’s pretty scary to think about me walking down the street, let alone in the kitchen now, right?

I kind of get where she’s coming from.

I was even scared for my own life when I was trying to magically peel and cut this mango I received in my produce box last week. At that very moment, I wished I had a mango slicer. I have three vegetable peelers. Four spatulas. 3 large serving spoons. 3 sets of measuring cups. 1 egg white separator. 2 whisks. 1 potato scrubber. 1 lettuce knife (really!??!). 1 apple corer. At least 12093209 cookie sheets.

January 29, 2012 031

But no mango slicer? Who in the heck am I?

Regardless, I worked my butt off trying to get this mango peeled. If you’re smarter than me (please be smarter than me), you’ll take a peek at these directions at how to slice a mango before you make this awesome mango avocado relish.

I don’t know why I’m calling it relish either — it’s a freaking salsa. Relish just sounds cooler and it makes me feel like I can put it on more foods — or a spoon to shovel spoonful after spoonful right into my mouth until it’s gone. No, that didn’t happen 3 hours after I made it either.

January 29, 2012 044

January 29, 2012 038

Note to self — if your lips are severely chapped and you eat an entire citrus fruit that is doused with more citrus, beware. Your lips might feel like they are burning off of your face.

So worth it.

katie February 2, 2012 at 6:09 am

I actually bought a mango pico de gallo once and it was amazing, this reminds me of that.

Looks amazing, a good superbowl appetizer ; )

Happy Thursday love!

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I didn’t think about it being a superbowl appetizer until everyone started commenting that! Woohoo looks like I was planned and organized!

Liz February 2, 2012 at 6:13 am

Ugh, mangoes are SO tough to peel, I get nervous every time I slice the skin off! This recipe looks amazing, perfect for a light Super Bowl snack. And it would be so refreshing in the summer!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy February 2, 2012 at 6:21 am

This would be great for a party or brunch- it looks so good!

Emily (Edible Psychology) February 2, 2012 at 6:23 am

This looks amazing! Lots of my favorite flavors all in one bowl!

And by the way, my mom uses the method you linked to for peeling and chopping mangoes, and it works like a dream. I can’t imagine actually trying to peel a mango, but I would be nervous watching anyone trying! Glad you still have all your fingers!

~Emily~

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:26 pm

ha – I totally peeled it. I’m not too bright.

Emily (Edible Psychology) February 3, 2012 at 5:06 am

Haha, well, I would have tried to peel it if I hadn’t seen another method! You are clearly very bright, but it’s not exactly intuitive that you would slice a mango that way. I don’t know any other fruits or veggies quite like it!

Happy Friday!

~Emily~

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 2, 2012 at 6:27 am

I didn’t even know there was such thing as a mango slicer!?!? I’d always spend endless amounts of time trying to peel and cut those things and it was always a mess! Loooooove mangos. and avocados.

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Look at Bed, Bath, and Beyond! I’m sure you could find one!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 2, 2012 at 6:49 am

yum! I honestly could eat this right now … :)

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I would invite you over but it’s long gone!

Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama February 2, 2012 at 6:50 am

I hate peeling mangoes! I will try this method next time. My 5 year old was looking over my shoulder while I was reading this and said “That looks good!”

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:29 pm

If a 5 yr old thinks this looks good, then I feel so awesome about myself. OR better yet, you should feel good about YOURSELF since your 5 yr old wants to eat this!!

jana @ newly wife healthy life February 2, 2012 at 6:50 am

I needed those mango directions! I bought a whole box at the grocery last week because they were on sale, and I swear that everytime I cut one I am either a) afraid I’ll cut my hand off or b) I end up tossing 80% of the mango because I can’t cut it off the skin/seed!

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Good luck!

Carrie February 2, 2012 at 7:02 am

I LOVE THIS COMBO! avo and mango do wonders together- salsa is also my favourite condiment, so WOO!

Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files February 2, 2012 at 7:20 am

I think a mango slicer is a good invesent they are so hard to cut!’ I love them though! The combination of avocado and mango is delicious!’

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 2, 2012 at 7:28 am

i’ve “followed” the directions plenty of times and still can’t figure out how to properly peel/slice a mango. i think i’ll look into one of these mango slicers…

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm

You and me both girlfriend. Perhaps we can find one after we go to brunch. ha!

Laura @ bloglette February 2, 2012 at 7:39 am

I’m also a lefty who sends others running the other way when I show off my “awesome” knife skills. Glad to know I’m not alone.

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:32 pm

haha – apparently we lefties are scary!!

Cara February 2, 2012 at 8:07 am

This looks awesome! I love fruit salsas.
I’m also clearly not any smarter than you because I’ve been struggling to peel and cut mangoes for years! Thanks for the link to instructions!

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I’m sure I will still struggle – no doubt.

kaity February 2, 2012 at 8:25 am

yummm love this peachmango salsa i get from costco. and guacomole.. best of both worlds def getting me a mango today!

kaity February 2, 2012 at 8:30 am

this is also random but i came across a 5k called a color run, im soo signing up wen it comes to ny i think it comes to chicago tho! it looks like fun u should check it ou

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Kaity!

Melissa February 2, 2012 at 8:41 am

I too am left handed and have the same problem but people probably shouldn’t trust me with knives. I’m terribly clumsy. I also have a problem with burning myself on pans. My boyfriend would probably ban me from the kitchen except for the fact that we would starve.

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Have you ever seen the Friends episode where “ross is fine”? The one where he gets wasted off of margaritas and keeps forgetting to use oven mitts?

Anna @ On Anna's Plate February 2, 2012 at 8:54 am

Mangoes are SO hard to peel and chop!! I’ve definitely almost chopped off a finger (or two) several times working with them…but the fruit is SO worth it :-)

This looks great!

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Hoping you still have all 10 fingers!

Liz @ An Interesting Year February 2, 2012 at 9:08 am

My mom taught me a trip for mango peeling a while ago…use a corn cob holder thingy (I’m sure those have real names, but they’re the little plastic pieces with metal prongs to hold an ear of corn) to keep the mango steady lengthwise (insert it on top, and slice the bottom to make it flat), then peel with a knife or vegetable peeler. Still hard, but makes it easier!

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Great tip! Thanks!

Christie February 2, 2012 at 10:02 am

Can’t wait to try this recipe this weekend!
Just stumbled across your blog from Sweet Tooth Sweet Life.
Read you bio and shortly I found out that you are from Illinois (me too!) and went to Illinois State (current senior!) super cool!

I am very excited to explore your blog. I am just dabbling my way into the blog world but I am loving every minute of it! Cant wait to try your recipes.

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Welcome Christie!

Mollie @ justthefrostingplease February 2, 2012 at 10:06 am

Oh man, I brought leftover taco salad for lunch today. Wish I had this to put on top!! Next time…

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family February 2, 2012 at 10:10 am

Looks like a good little dip. I may try making this with some corn added!

Faith @ For the Health of It February 2, 2012 at 10:35 am

I love the mango avocado combo. It’s definitely worth the work it took to peel the mango…and I suck at it too! It always looks mangled by the time I get to the good stuff.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 2, 2012 at 10:38 am

mango and avos are two perfect foods…and I love them together! I can’t wait for mango season to hit! I make a mango and corn salsa…I love pretty much anything with mango :)

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I’ve just been on a roll with you this week!

Katie February 2, 2012 at 10:41 am

Mango always does a weird thing to my lips…it’s very odd. But it doesn’t stop me from loving it.

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:34 pm

My father in law is allergic to citrus fruit, but he still eats it. His tongue swells up – we laugh, he doesn’t.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 2, 2012 at 11:21 am

I loathe mango pits but I absolutely love the mango, so I deal with them!

Megan @ Fiterature February 2, 2012 at 11:30 am

I am thinking about taking the rest of the day off from work, driving to the store, buying everything above and spending the remainder of the day in my PJ’s on the couch, eating it! It. Looks. That. Good.

Alas, I need said job to pay for said mango goodness, so the horrible cycle continues… :-(

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I really hope you did do that!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 2, 2012 at 11:37 am

Ooh yum! I swear all these Superbowl appetizer dishes coming up in the blog world is making me so happy because – although I don’t watch American football – they’re providing my snack lists with some much-needed overhaul and inspiration!

Brittany (healthy slice of life) February 2, 2012 at 11:41 am

Deeeeeelicious!! But I totally need to learn how to peel a mango. I always get about 2 bites out of each mango after I mutilate it :)

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:36 pm

haha – I’m sure I could have gotten a lot more mango out of this one!

Amber K February 2, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Oh I hate finding out I have any sort of cut on my face or in my mouth by eating lots of citrus. But the burn tastes so good! :)

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:36 pm

My lip is split on the side and it hurt SO bad!

Jentry Nielsen February 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm

haha my boyfriend is the same way with me in the kitchen, you accidentally slice your finger and have to get stitches one time and no one lets you live it down!!
I have an egg white separator too!!! I didn’t think many people owned those!
This mango relish/salsa concoction looks so delicious! I think it’ll make a perfect side for our Super Bowl! :) Thanks for sharing!!!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness February 2, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Love love love mango and avocado! This looks so good. I would take the burning lips as well.

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I’ll make you some in October when you’re sitting on my couch!

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Mango and avocado – that sounds like a delicious combination! Maybe this will make our superbowl menu :-)

Missy February 2, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I LOVE sprinkling cayenne on my mango so I would love this I am certain.

PS_ Have you tried Beanitos? Corn free (gluten free and vegan) “tortilla chips?”

I like them and always think of you when I have some (#creepy)…they taste like a deep-fried Mary’s Gone Cracker. They’re pretty clean too!

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I haven’t but my mom has! She LOVES them – I’ve been wanting to try them!

Marina@cowboycountryvegetarian February 2, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Oh, Yes, it is sooo worth it! Mmmmm, love it! I also love the story about you and your ant. Have to admit, when my son uses his left hand to peel/chop/cut… something it does make me nervous… because it does look weird to me. When you see people using their right hand, what do you feel/think/etc?!

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I think that they look perfectly fine! Us lefties are very accepting of others you know. ;)

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Look delicious! This would be a great Superbowl dish!

[New Balance] Nicole February 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Oh my gosh my family doesn’t like when I use knives either! I like to say it’s because I am left-handed but really I just don’t hold the knife correctly. :)

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I’d stick by you. I trust you! :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm

This is a dream recipe! I have all the ingredients at home, except cilantro which is a-okay with me cause it’s not my favorite. Must check out easy mango slicing method NOW!

cleaneatingchelsey February 2, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Good luck! I hope you like it!

Chelsea February 2, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Every fall my parents pick up a bushel of fresh peaches to make and can jars of peach salsa. I think it’s because of that, that I’ve developed a love of sweet salsas. This one looks to be worth trying! I especially love that it includes creamy avocado.

Molly February 2, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Ummmm, hello goodness! Holy cow! Thanks for sharing–what a perfect treat after a long day teaching! :)

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs February 2, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Ugh, chapped lips are definitely one of the worst feelings! Stupid cold weather! :)
Can’t wait to give this recipe a go — I’ve got a mango in the fridge that’s begging to be used, and this seems like a great use for it!

Lani February 2, 2012 at 9:01 pm

hmmmmm, this sure would be good at say, …..a Super Bowl party, now wouldn’t it????

Maureen February 2, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I love sweet fruits in my salsa! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 2, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I love this right now even though it’s February and mango is probably the last thing on people’s minds. Since my husband refuses my consistent pleas to go on a tropical vacation, I think I should just buy up all the mango and pineapple possible and pretend I’m on a beach.

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land February 3, 2012 at 12:34 am

I’ve never really been a huge fan of mango, but something tells me I would love this!

Lauren February 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I’ve definitely had to teach people how to cut a mango before. It’s quite the party trick.

Sarah February 5, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I cannot wait to make this relish asap. I am imagining in atop a bowl of black beans or as a sandwich condiment. Thanks!!!