coconut almond flour pancakes

March 6, 2012

Great news around the CEC household everyone — the Christmas garland has been retired to the shed for the next 9 months! It only took me threatening the Husband that he would not get served his chili last night. Low and behold, away they went!

Other than that, I’ve got nothing. Nothing other than the fact that despite it being a Tuesday, it’s going to be 58 degrees outside!!!! That’s 24 degrees warmer than it was yesterday and is more than enough to celebrate. I bet my fifth graders would be even more excited about today’s arrival except for the fact that it’s our first day of state testing — the day a fifth grader looks forward to an ISAT is the day I buy each and every one of you a gourmet chocolate bar and hand deliver it to your door.

One thing I always tell my kids before ISATs is to get a good night’s sleep and to eat a nutritious and filling breakfast. There’s nothing more annoying than hearing your own stomach growl during a testing situation and nothing more frustrating than not being able to concentrate because you are incredibly hungry. After we had that conversation during “Weekend Share” time (where the kids tell me all about their weekends and I tell them all about what’s coming up during the week), one of my students told me about how in his household, they call breakfast their “break-fast”. Yes, same word — different emphasis. It made me laugh. This same kid broke out into a Broadway musical dance behind me yesterday while he was walking back to his seat and as I was giving directions to the class.

Would you love me more if I told you I proceeded to dance and sing out my next set of directions for my kids? It’s all about the performance folks.

Okay, so what this post is really about is breakfast. A huge big hearty breakfast that won’t weigh you down but will keep you full for a really long time. I have been wanting to try almond flour for the longest time, but just got around to ordering it last week online. I knew I wanted to try almond flour pancakes, but was a bit skeptical.

March 3, 2012 001

These babies are THICK! They are also incredibly cakey and will stick with you for hours. I ate these on Saturday around 6:30 in the morning (yes, that’s an ungodly hour for breakfast on a Saturday) and couldn’t even think about eating lunch until at least 1:30. Even then, I only ate because I felt like I should. These definitely have some sticking power — they may be small, but they are definitely mighty!

My favorite way to eat pancakes is with my banana cream sauce on top and then drizzled with a little maple syrup. I’m salivating looking at these pictures.

March 3, 2012 015

March 3, 2012 009

Would I be totally crazed if I said I wish I were actually taking state tests tomorrow so I would have an excuse to stay incredibly full and alert all morning? Bring on the almond flour pancakes!

Simply Life March 6, 2012 at 6:07 am

I love a breakfast that will keep me FULL! These look great!

Jen March 6, 2012 at 6:09 am

Chelsey, do you recommend any places to order almond flour online? Was just looking for it… Thanks!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 6:14 am

I ordered these from Swanson Vitamins. Here’s the link! http://www.swansonvitamins.com/FFF004/ItemDetail

Kait March 6, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Vitacost is another great option, just FYI.

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles March 6, 2012 at 6:12 am

My kids start testing today too! For real, today! 10:00-11:30 Tues, Wed, & Thurs. Seriously, could we be a little more similar?! Hugs, luck, and peace to you today! ….I’m a tad freaked at the moment but I’ll smile and be crazy- the kids will never know how stressed I am…
I want the husband to make me these pancakes- it’s a big day for me you know. It would be such a treat :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm

We have 8:30-10:00 and then 12:30-1:30 Tuesday, Wed. and Thursday! Lots of fun for those kiddos (although they weren’t complaining with extra recess today!) ;)

Blog is the New Black March 6, 2012 at 6:18 am

You crack me up. And I want your pancakes.

Katy @ A Shot of Life March 6, 2012 at 6:24 am

Your pancakes put the bowl of oats I’m currently eating to shame. They look awesome! I’m always looking for a pancake recipe that will ‘stick’. Usually they give me a stomachache and then I’m hungry an hour later. I’ll have to scope out some almond flour!!

Our state tests start next week. Good luck to you and your kiddos!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm

And good luck to you on your new JOB!!!!!

Khushboo March 6, 2012 at 6:31 am

Ohh boy these babies look good..and the banana cream sauce sounds even better! Would it be frowned upon if I admit that I rarely ate breakfast when I was in the 5th grade? And on the rare occasion I did, it would either be strawberry-flavored milk (I loved my chemicals) or dry sugary cereal ;) !

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I rarely ate breakfast all the way up through high school! I hated it!

Kaitlyn @ Pain Can Be Fun March 6, 2012 at 6:37 am

Those look amaaaazing!
Have a good Tuesday…good luck with getting your kids through state testing!! :)

Carrie March 6, 2012 at 6:42 am

These look satisfying and thick! Love that :)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 6, 2012 at 6:47 am

These look so good!!! I’ve been curious to try almond flour for quite a while but haven’t gotten around to purchasing any!
Also, I’m with you on the weather! I opened up iGoogle to see that it was 6 degrees outside…in VT. Thank goodness I am home for spring break!

Linz @ Itz Linz March 6, 2012 at 6:51 am

YUM! our state testing doesn’t begin for another couple of weeks, but when it does my students’ homework is: go to sleep early, eat a healthy breakfast, and arrive at school on time. :) SO IMPORTANT!!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Very important! And to not freak out about the tests!

Fiona @ Well-Fed Redhead March 6, 2012 at 7:06 am

Mmm those look really delicious and hearty! When I was in elementary school I actually looked forward to state testing because it was so easy! And then we would either get half days or we would just watch movies and hang out the rest of the day after the testing was done so it was kind of like break from real school.

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I always looked forward to it too – I’m not going to lie. I was always a pretty good test taker.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 6, 2012 at 7:10 am

Woah!! That defs sounds filling! YUM :)

kaity March 6, 2012 at 7:16 am

i soo wish i saw this before i had my breakfast! making these asap, just gotta get some more almond flour! they look like big filling cookies :-) btw i made your bagels yesterday and they were gone that nite so i had to make more but did an “everythingg bagel” and your right i feel soo cool tellin people i made bagels haha!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Glad you are enjoying the bagels!

Tiff March 6, 2012 at 7:40 am

Yum – those look like real pan-cakes for break-fast! ;)

Marie-Sophie March 6, 2012 at 7:45 am

Now these look REALLY good! I would recommend Paige’s “Nutty Protein Bowl” (on http://www.runningaroundnormal.com) … similar ingredients (plus added Sunwarrrior) and with some additional chocolate chips simply mind-blowing!
Can’t wait to try your equally for-sure-mind-blowing recipe and add some chocolate chips !! :-)

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I just looked at those – they look DELICIOUS!!!

kathleen @ the daily crumb March 6, 2012 at 7:52 am

delicious!! i have been meaning to try almond flour as well (it is a staple in the paleo diet they preach to us at crossfit), but have not yet. thanks for the recipe!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Did you decide to stick with crossfit? Aaaand when’s the next weekend you’re available to go get breakfast?!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 6, 2012 at 7:55 am

Oh gosh, those do look incredibly thick and filling! I should make those for before a school day since I’m always starving by the time I get home for lunch!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Yeah I don’t think you’d be starving with these!

Marina@cowboycountryvegetarian March 6, 2012 at 8:07 am

I remember in school we were given a chocolate bar before tests too. I didn’t care because I didn’t eat ANY sweets during my school years – I hated anything sweet (except fruits, but it’s not sweets, right?). There was always an argument between my classmates who would get my chocolate. It was a very funny for me to watch…:) Breakfast. Usually it’s a bawl of oatmeal with blueberries and walnuts (come to my blog and check out the pictures). On weekends it’s pancakes (Sundays) and omelette (Saturdays). Those looks delicious. I have some almond flour, but use just a little for my breads. I shell try to make your pancakes.

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

haha as a teacher, I would just keep the chocolate you didn’t want for myself instead of having everyone else fight over it. TOo much drama!!!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 6, 2012 at 8:19 am

Wow those are incredibly thick!! They do look delicious :)

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 6, 2012 at 8:38 am

gah! I was JUST eyeing up some coconut flour in farm fresh yesterday, but wasn’t sure what I’d use it for. now I need to go snag it. ;)

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

pssssst – these are with almond flour. don’t make the mistake! I have no idea how they would hold up with coconut flour!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 6, 2012 at 8:41 am

When I first tried coconut flour pancakes, I was almost positive they were going to be inedible because of how thick they were. But they were delicious and the most filling pancakes ever. Love your banana cream sauce on these!

Frances March 6, 2012 at 8:52 am

Just made these as pre-exam fuel. Only had coconut flour on hand, but they turned out great. Super thick and tasty.

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Perfect! I’m glad they worked still!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 6, 2012 at 8:59 am

wow these look awesome! i love how thick they are. where did you buy your almond flour? it’s always so pricey in the stores!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm

On Swanson Vitamin’s website – it’s a huge bag and it was pretty cheap!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile March 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

I am dyyyyyying to try almond flour! These look wonderful, I love your idea of banana sauce. I had a protein pancake for breakfast, but these look 1000x better :D

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 6, 2012 at 10:24 am

Nothing worse than paper thin pancakes! These look amazing.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga March 6, 2012 at 10:40 am

Great looking pancakes and the Banana Cream Sauce…yum! Glad you finally handled Xmas..just think, in about 4 more months, you can take it out to get a jump on your holiday decorating :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm

hahah – I think I’ll wait until November thankyouverymuch!

Liz @ Southern Charm March 6, 2012 at 10:57 am

Oiy! This looks amazing and filling!! I HAVE to add this into my rotation!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 6, 2012 at 10:59 am

I’ve been really wanting to try almond flour too, but I hate that it’s so expensive! I keep on waiting for the Bob’s Red Mill kind to go on sale at my grocery store… but no such luck yet. :P

I seriously need to get some soon because these look amazing!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Bob’s Red Mill NEVER goes on sale at my grocery store!!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm

PS – you’re not allergic to almonds?!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 6, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Haha nope! They’re the one and only nut that I’m not allergic to. :D

Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 6, 2012 at 11:01 am

Ahhhh I feel ya on th state testing… Ours isn’t until May but I’m already stressing it. Good luck!! :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Don’t stress! I always tell myself that if I’m doing my job and the kids are learning, then there’s nothing to be worried about!

Paige @ Running Around Nromal March 6, 2012 at 11:03 am

I have been loooving my some pancakes lately! As well as almond flour. I make a mean protein bar out of just almond flour. then I tried really hard to turn it into a spring time recipe with coconut flour, and it flopped. And I gave up for now :-P

Carrie @ MyHealthyAddictions March 6, 2012 at 11:40 am

Looks like you were in Almond Heaven this morning! :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious March 6, 2012 at 11:53 am

I recently went to the bulk store and picked up a bunch of different flours (almond being one of them) and then I got home and was at a total loss as to what I was going to make – these look amazing. I think they’ll be making an appearance this weekend but I really hope it’s not at 6:30 a.m. LOL!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm

haha I hope for your sake it’s later than 6:30 too!!

Lauren March 6, 2012 at 11:55 am

Still have yet to get on the coconut flour bandwagon but I think that needs to change. I love coconut anything so flour is just naturally going to fit into my life well. These look awesome!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 7:06 pm

pssst – it’s almond flour, but someone tried it with coconut flour today and said they were delish!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats March 6, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Those look AMAZING! Especially with that sauce. I am definitely going to try these!

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola March 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Is it weird that I actually enjoyed state testing as a kid? I liked filling out the little bubbles and answering the questions and snacks were always provided! These pancakes look delicious!! One question- I have almond meal from TJs… is that the same as almond flour?

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I liked it too. :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm

and yes, almond flour/meal is the same thing!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 6, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Dang those are some thick pancakes!! With staying power like that I’ve gotta try them.

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Do it for the baby. ;)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life March 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Almond flour pancakes are the BEST and my favourite! Not at all dry and so tasty. Love them! Love the idea of putting coconut in too – the closest I’ve come to doing that is using coconut flour for some of the flour…nice idea throwing in shredded coconut!

Jen @ Whittle My Middle March 6, 2012 at 1:05 pm

These looks amazing and super filling. I especially love the looks of that Banana cream sauce. I’d probably just end up eating that by the spoonful and it would never make it on top of the pancakes.

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 7:08 pm

haha I always make a little extra and ALWAYS use my finger to scoop the bowl clean. No judging please.

Kait March 6, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Oh my these look simply fantastic (and by that I mean I’m drooling despite the fact that I just ate)!

Also that banana cream sauce…OMG I’m so excited to try this. Definitely going to be making this as soon as I get back from Vegas.

And finally…thanks for the flax egg answer. It made me laugh a little.

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 7:08 pm

haha – someone told me today they tried it with a flax egg and it worked, but they didn’t bind together quite as nicely!

Kait March 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I mean I was totally going to be the girl who asked so I appreciated it! And they get all crumbled in your mouth anyway, right?!

Lindsay@Fuel My Family March 6, 2012 at 1:10 pm

These look aweomse. I love thick dense pancakes! I have a hard time staying full so maybe I should try these. It takes 5 large pancakes and 3 egg omelet to hold me over for 3 hours tops.

Amber K March 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Bah! I have got to find another kind of nutty flour because I’m tired of having to miss out on awesome pancakes!

Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm

OMG I love pancakes!!! They are my favorite weekend breakfast treat…is it Saturday yet??

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I’m counting down the daaays!!!

Katie March 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Coconut flour!! I’m so obsessed. Then you go adding almond flour?! You just blew my mind.

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Why thanks lady – and PS how do you make your crack butter? (almond butter) I just made another batch and it is NOTHING compared to the jar of yours I finished this morning. I need the secrets!!!

Wendi March 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm

What do you think about substituting the almond flour with oat flour?

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I think you could definitely do that! The consistency might change!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 6, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Those look like some filling, yummy pancakes!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Those sound delicious!!! What an incredible recipe! :D

Sarah @ studiofood March 6, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Yum, these look amazing. I think I’m going to have to start ordering all my strange food things online… I can’t find almond flour, coconut flour or chickpea flour anywhere!!!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Online is better – and cheaper!!

Kelly March 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Chelsey, where do you order it online? I bought it at the store last night for about $12.50…the cheapest I can find it online is Amazon for around $9.50. Is that a good price or do you have a better source?

cleaneatingchelsey March 9, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I bought it from Swanson Vitamins: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/FFF004/ItemDetail

It’s only $6.00!

Kelly March 9, 2012 at 5:23 pm

…. 8-) Well, that’s certainly better than $12.50!!! Thank you–will go send them some business!

Jentry Nielsen March 6, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Currently drooling! ha These sound so good! I was scrolling down and was hopping you were going to put the recipe for the banana cream sauce, so glad you did! Now I just need to get my hands on some almond flour, I do have been taking forever to take the plunge. But this recipe gives me the perfect excuse!

glidingcalm March 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm

wow wow wow! so gorgeous ! ill have to try theseeee!!

Leah Hintz March 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I just got a container of coconut flour shipped to me today. I’ve never cooked with it, but I bet coconut flour pancakes would be just as delicious!!!

cleaneatingchelsey March 6, 2012 at 7:15 pm

pssst – these use almond flour, BUT!!! Someone told me they made them with coconut flour today and it worked out well.

Annie @ What's Annie Making? March 6, 2012 at 7:26 pm

WOW!!!! Those are so thick! And that banana cream sauce looks like I could just eat it straight with a spoon.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 6, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I gave up sugar and all sweeteners for Lent, so this banana cream topping is JUST what I need! Thank you!

Lily March 6, 2012 at 8:57 pm

YUMMMMMM!!!

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy March 6, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Almond flour keeps turning up in my life! I think I’m going to have to get me some next time I’m at the store…these look amazing!

Corrie Anne March 6, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Ohh… yum. I’ve been wanting an excuse to buy almond flour!! Haha. I should’ve had some of these before I took the Praxis!! :)

Emilia March 7, 2012 at 3:01 am

Wow, wow, wow. I’ve bought almond flour a couple times before (to make macaron) but never really knew any other uses for it. You’ve definitely made me want to go out and buy a bag right now!
I remember those days of standardized testing, the one day of the year my parents would let me have a bagel for breakfast on a weekday! I bet these would have been much more filling ;)

Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp March 7, 2012 at 11:41 am

I am so grateful my first graders don’t have testing! I remember those days and do NOT miss them one bit. Good luck to you and your kiddos!

beti March 7, 2012 at 10:17 pm

they look really thick fluffy and delicious, simply perfect

Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat March 12, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I just want to let you know…I just made these tonight to take with me to work tomorrow, and of course I had to have a little taste!! Looks wise, I had an epic fail (I’m pretty sure my griddle wasn’t hot enough when I started) But besides the mangled pancakes I got out of it, the flavor is out of this world!! Thanks SO much for the recipe, and once I make myself a nice looking batch I’ll be sure to post pics on my blog and link them back here :) Love the banana cream sauce too!!

Jen September 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I always buy my almond flour from Honeyville Grain. They have blanched and natural. Wait for their sales, you can get 15 to 20% off. Sign up for their newsletter: