grilling again

March 21, 2012

I have to say, you all sure do know how to make a girl feel like she’s not crazy. I absolutely LOVED all of the comments about something you worried a little too much about. I used a random number generator, and the winner of the bag of Love Grown Granola is Haley @ Health Freak College Girl! Congratulations — please get your mailing information to me, and I will mail that out immediately!

Time for another What I Ate Wednesday — which yes, is really everything I ate on Tuesdays. I don’t know how that all started, but it’s what all the cool kids do.

Peas and Crayons

Breakfast — 6:00 AM

It finally happened — it is way too warm in my house in the morning for me to enjoy a hot breakfast of stovetop oats. Instead, last night I prepped a batch of my voluminous overnight oats.

March 20, 2012 002

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 tbsp. Sun Warrior chocolate protein powder
  • 1/2 banana
  • strawberries
  • unsweetened coconut flakes
  • cinnamon
  • Maranatha almond butter

I bought the huge container of almond butter from Costco on Sunday, and while it’s okay, I really prefer my homemade almond butter or Trader Joe’s more. Thankfully a 26 oz. jar will last me like a week.

Lunch — 11:30 AM

Today was just a crazy day. I was up and moving all day long, even during my plan time (a lot of copies to be made!). I didn’t even have time to eat my snack that I brought which was a Fage 2% Greek yogurt.

Instead, I was just pretty hungry by the time lunch rolled around. Monday night the Husband and I got some takeout from a local restaurant I had a Groupon to. There wasn’t much for me to eat, but I got myself a large salad as part of my dinner. Since I had to spend a certain amount of money because of the Groupon, I ordered myself another salad to eat sometime during the week.

I topped the salad with some leftover tofu I had made on Sunday, and dressed it up with some balsamic and nutritional yeast. On the side, I brought along some Sabra hummus to put on the salad.

March 20, 2012 004

On the side, I ate a few servings of Trader Joe’s Crunchy Curls — they are pretty good! They’re a cross between a lentil and potato chip — I think they would be better with some sort of seasoning on them. I didn’t eat the yogurt, but I did eat a few Clementines as well as an Adora Dark Chocolate Disk.

March 20, 2012 005

Snack — 3:30 PM

On my way home, I snacked on the usual. I also talked to my mom, and she told me she was over at my sister’s and that I should come over. I was planning on taking a walk when I got home, so I laced up my sneakers and headed over to Kirstin’s!

March 13, 2012 007

We actually only live 1.1 miles away from each other (I checked on MapMyRun), so it was a nice brisk walk in the 85 degree weather (!!!). I visited with my mom, Kirstin, and Aubrey for a little while before I headed back home.

I know I haven’t posted any new pictures of the baby for a reaaallly long time, and she has gotten so big! This was a picture taken about a week ago after she was trying some pureed food — despite her happy face, she didn’t really enjoy it.

And much to my sister’s dismay, this baby girl still looks exactly like her Auntie Chelsey.

Dinner — 6:00 PM

When I got home, I quick took a shower and got to work on dinner. I broke out the grill again since it was 82 degrees in our house (nope, still not using the air conditioning… I die.). I made some Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers (recipe to come), roasted broccoli, and sweet potato wedges.

March 20, 2012 009
I reeeallly wanted a hamburger bun for these, but we didn’t have any, so I went bunless. I’m planning on eating one of these for leftovers tonight, so I’m planning on picking up some buns on my way home from school.

After dinner, I ate a few pieces of dark chocolate.

Snack — 8:00 PM

June 15, 2011 004

Recycled picture, but my snack looked similar to this — some chopped apple, love grown, and almond milk. I also had a few spoonfuls of almond butter. Nothing like coating your stomach with healthy fats before bed!

Question: Do you live within walking distance to any of your family?

Tina @ Best Body Fitness March 21, 2012 at 6:00 am

She does look so much like you!!! Is it weird that I can see you in a baby and yet we’ve never even met in person? LOL

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 6:53 am

Of course not!

Lauren March 21, 2012 at 6:02 am

I live about 10 min (driving distance) from my family. It’s just the right distance. :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:13 pm

That is a nice distance! We live about 15 minutes from both our parents.

Jordan Lynn (Ciao Cow) March 21, 2012 at 6:04 am

Those sweet potato wedges look crispy and delicious! I don’t live within walking distance of my family or driving distance for that matter. Although I love living in Seattle, it would be nice if I could see my family a little more. Your niece is super cute! :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Thank you! I’m quite partial to her, so I think so too!

Shana March 21, 2012 at 6:11 am

I love that you bring your own hummus to the restaurant! But how do you handle that awkward moment when your food arrives and you reach into your purse to grab a container of food? I always feel sorta silly and end up acting all shifty and trying not to make eye contact with anyone!

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 6:52 am

It was actually eaten at home since we took it out, BUT I have brought an entire bottle of ketchup places with me before. I just accept the fact that I’m a weirdo.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 21, 2012 at 6:14 am

I actually DO live within walking distance of a relative… Chris’s aunt lives in the same apartment complex as we do & is about a 2 minute walk away! The rest of my family is about 10 minutes by car!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile March 21, 2012 at 6:21 am

She is so adorable! Those burgers look delicious. I live about 3 hours away from my family so it would take me quite a while to walk haha

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:18 pm

haha yeah, don’t try that please!

cathy@1970kikiproject March 21, 2012 at 6:22 am

your niece is SO CUTE!!
i live in a condo building and my parents live in the building next door – very convenient when i just want to pop over! (although we do respect each other – no drop by visits!).
enjoy the heat – i will, too, here in ontario!

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Thank you! I would definitely take advantage of my parents living next door. I’d be over there ALL the time!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 21, 2012 at 6:26 am

I live 4-5 blocks from my older brother! and the second I saw that picture I thought, she has your eyes!!! Haha she does look like you! So cute.

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo March 21, 2012 at 6:29 am

My whole family is spread out, but that’s what Skype is for, right?

Aubrey is a doll! She really does look like you.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! March 21, 2012 at 6:34 am

Mmmm I could really go for a nice grilled burger right now! Buns are a necessity! LOL!

misty March 21, 2012 at 6:44 am

Hi Chelsey! Do you have an suggestions for what to put in overnight oats if you don’t like bananas? Thank you for all the great recipies! Misty

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 6:51 am

A lot of people just omit it from the recipe and use milk/yogurt as the liquid!

Khushboo March 21, 2012 at 6:51 am

I just spent last week with my cousin’s new born baby and I’m obsessed…can’t get enough of the little doll! Your niece is adorable! Unfortunately most of my people is more like flight distance as opposed to walkable…all the more reason for taking trips, right :) !

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Um yeah, me + babies = <3 I can’t get enough of them!!!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 21, 2012 at 7:00 am

It has been so nice out lately! Great eats :)

chelcie @ chelcie's food files March 21, 2012 at 7:06 am

mmm all your eats look delicious!!

Kate @ The Little Spoon Blog March 21, 2012 at 7:19 am

We have a bike path at the bottom of my street that I use to get to my aunts house (5 miles away) or I can continue and reach my other aunt (8 miles away). Conveniently I can use the same bike path to go to my favorite gfree pizza place (7 miles away) or to one of many ice cream shops (6 miles away). When I was training for my half marathon I would run to one of my aunts house for a bathroom break and some water and either run back home or they would drive me home if I was done with my mileage. It’s perfect!

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:25 pm

That sounds like an EXCELLENT set up!

Parita @ myinnershakti March 21, 2012 at 7:26 am

For a quick second I thought you had ice cream for breakfast! Haha!

And Aubrey is absolutely adorable…love that pic :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:26 pm

There wouldn’t be anything wrong with eating ice cream for breakfast!

Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 21, 2012 at 7:26 am

Haha I don’t live within walking distance to my family (hopefully within the next years will be moving closer) BUT a few months ago I set my mom up on a blind date with a man who lives downstairs in our apartment building. Well, they hit it off big time and she spends about half the week right downstairs from me now! :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:27 pm

That is FANTASTIC!

Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air March 21, 2012 at 7:30 am

1. That baby is soooo cute!!
2. I need to remember to add coconut to my oats, that’s a good choice
3. Jealous of your grill. One of the woes of apartment-life!

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm

1. Thank you.
2. It is a good choice!
3. A grill needs to be on your must have list when you get a house!

Tiff March 21, 2012 at 7:36 am

Can’t wait for the burger recipe – looks good! As for family, I wish I could walk to see them! I don’t even live in the same state as anyone in my family.

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 21, 2012 at 7:41 am

That burger looks delicious! :) I live really close to my family. I am within walking distance but it’s quicker to drive.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 21, 2012 at 7:57 am

My uncle and grandmother live within walking distance – I often stop by with my dog on long walks just to say hello! :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm

How fun!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List March 21, 2012 at 8:07 am

I live about a mile from my parents and 3 miles from Travis’!! It’s wonderful!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles March 21, 2012 at 8:08 am

I’m *so* jealous that you live a mile away from that cutie! I would give that girlie thousands of kisses per week! ….I live about a 2.5 hour drive away from my entire family- it’s quite the bummer. I love to skype with my nephew though, he gets so mad that I won’t get out of the computer! :) ……She has grown bundles, and does look just like her Auntie Chelsey!!! ADORABLE!

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm

It’s funny because even though I live a mile away, I hardly ever have a chance to just stop by because of our busy schedules!!!

Mattie @ Comfy and Confident March 21, 2012 at 8:08 am

Everything looks so good! I want to eat it all. Especially that quinoa and black bean burger. I can’t wait for the recipe.

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:35 pm

It will be up tomorrow AM!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 21, 2012 at 8:39 am

aww your little niece is adorable! i love her little headband. if i have a little girl, she’ll most likely be wearing headbands with big flowers and bows nonstop. :)
your grilled dinner looks great! looking forward to that black bean & quinoa recipe!
i WISH we lived within walking distance of our families… we barely live within a reasonable driving distance. someday we hope to live near them again though!

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Oh I’ll gocrazy with the girlie things if I ever get blessed witha little girl!

Michelle@PeachyPalate March 21, 2012 at 8:40 am

Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers! Yes Please! not quite warm enough to get the grill out in Ireland yet! :)

Debbie March 21, 2012 at 8:42 am

My daughter eats those crunchy curls in her tomato soup, instead of crackers. Yummy!

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:37 pm

That sounds like a great idea!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 21, 2012 at 8:51 am

My family lives in Michigan and I miss them so much! Luckily it’s not too far and we can visit fairly often.

Your dinner looks great, I’ll keep an eye out for the recipe!

Kelly March 21, 2012 at 9:05 am

Hi Chelsey :) The black bean and quinoa burger looks amazing! I’m always looking for new veggie burger recipes. p.s. – my house is so hot!!! My boyfriend is like your husband, doesn’t want me to turn the a/c on in March :( Hope you have a great day!

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Ugh – it was 82 in our house today. Luckily it’s cooled off since then!

The black bean burger recipe will be up tomorrow!

kathleen @ the daily crumb March 21, 2012 at 9:15 am

we are exactly 1.15 miles away from my parents and i LOVE it! will come in super handy when we have kids and need some help :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm

AMEN!

Jennifer March 21, 2012 at 9:35 am

My Sister lives 7 houses away! It is awesome, and comes in really handy for the kiddos. Our older kids are 1 year apart and our Youngers are 7 months to the day apart and will start Kindy together next year! Grandma is 4 miles away! Funny I was never EVER going to live here again after leaving for college…but life has a funny way of often presenting you with exactly what you need and I can’t imagine raising kids without my Mom and Sister by my side! Your niece is soooo cute!

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm

That is so nice! When my husband was growing up, his aunt/uncle and cousins lived right down the block as well (actually TWO sets of them did!). I think that would be so fun.

Corrie Anne March 21, 2012 at 10:27 am

Black bean quinoa burgers sounds AMAZING. What I wouldn’t give to live withing walking distance of my baby nephews & nieces. Ok and my brother & sister-in-law!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves March 21, 2012 at 10:29 am

No! But I do live within walking distance of one of my best friends. And he just started running! So I can jog over to his house, do a short run with him, then jog home.

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm

That’s fun!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 21, 2012 at 10:33 am

Normally I am all about the sweets but the burger and sweet potato wedges caught my eye today!

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 21, 2012 at 10:35 am

ugh, I would KILL to be within a short run of my family! and don’t you love that your niece looks like you? one of my sister’s three girls is my mini-me, and it makes me so happy.

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm

It does make me happy!!!

janae@hungryrunnergirl March 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

If 8 miles counts then YES:) YAY for grilling season again. NO AC still…you guys are holding strong:)

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Only one more day of extreme heat and we will have made it through!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 21, 2012 at 11:05 am

Aww she’s gotten so big! And she really DOES look like you!

At school I’m about a 1.5 hour drive from my family. It’s perfect because I can drive home for the weekend whenever I want! I would love to live in the same city as my family once I’m out of school and working though.

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola March 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

How awesome that you live so close to your family!! I love that you can walk to one another’s houses! How nice! And your niece is too cute for words! I can’t wait for you to post that veggie burger recipe- it sounds delicious and those roasted veggies look so good! Yum!

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Tomorrow AM!

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 21, 2012 at 11:51 am

Chocolate oats would hit the spot right now…… :)

Amber K March 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Almost everyone in my family lives in the same state, but not within walking distance. Thank God… ;)

Michelle (Better with Berries) March 21, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I live within walking distance of my best friend, so that counts as family :-)

And I didn’t get a chance to reply yesterday, but I was laughing when I read your story because I have a very similar one. During my senior year of college, I went on a float trip with some friends about 2 hours away from where we went to school. My stomach had been bothering me all day, and then it was just my side. By the time I went to bed it was excruciating, and I woke up in the middle of the night panicking that I had appendicitis. So my boyfriend drove me back to school (where there was a hospital) at 2am and I got a CAT scan. The results? Muscle spasm!!

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Better safe than sorry!

Jentry Nielsen March 21, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Oh I wish I lived that close to my sister and little nephew! We live 300 miles away :(

That dinner looks delicious though! I really need to try grilled the sweet potato looks so good! ha

Kelly M. March 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I walk to my parents house all the time…it is awesome having them close by! That granola looks yummy in almond milk I need to get some TONIGHT for my snack! That baby girl is adorable!

sarah (onedayiwillseethesun) March 21, 2012 at 2:53 pm

well I live with my mum so you could say we are in wallking distance:p

Kelsey March 21, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I can’t wait for the recipe for those delicious burgers! YUM!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl March 21, 2012 at 4:53 pm

You oatmeal looks great! But i really came by to check out that patty. Can’t wait to see the recipe. I love black beans patties.

Carrie@FamilyFitnessFood.com March 21, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Your oatmeal looks yummy. I’m such a huge oatmeal fan. I made one of your recipes in my WIAW post. It was so good. Thank you!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? March 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

No, unfortunately I don’t like within walking distance of family. The closest people are 5 hours away, thanks to grad school. It’s tough some times, but it really makes me appreciate going home and seeing them even more.

Elizabeth March 21, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I live 7 hours from all family and close friends. I didn’t give it much thought until I had kids and now I’d do anything to be closer. It makes me so sad that my 2 girls aren’t growing up with all their family. I am so happy to hear you have yours close by. Enjoy that!

Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection March 21, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Your niece honestly does look like you!! It’s such a blessing to live close to family…we’re about 3 hours from our closest relatives right now, including my 4-month-old godson and I really wish I lived closer.

Emily March 22, 2012 at 12:19 am

So jealous that you live walking distance to your sister! That is my dream.
I currently live 2-3 hours away from most of my family. But, my sister is planning to move (within the next year) and is seriously considering Los Angeles! To say that I’m ecstatic would be an understatement. (:
I can’t wait for the recipe for those black bean, quinoa patties!

Allie@LiveLaughEat April 3, 2012 at 8:42 pm

She really does look exactly like you!!!