weird appetite

March 28, 2012

Why hello there! I must tell you the truth — I missed you all on my unexpected “day off”. Truth is, I got home pretty late from a fun night on Monday. Seeing as an extra hour of sleep was calling my name instead of writing a post, it was off to bed for me. That and I am much obsessed with my new book, Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult.

Peas and Crayons

Are you ready for the weirdest day of eats ever? For once in my life, I really didn’t have much of an appetite yesterday. I just honored my body and didn’t force anything. I ate when I was hungry and didn’t freak out that I wasn’t “getting enough food”. I’m sure I’ll make up for it tomorrow.

Breakfast — 6:45 AM

Breakfast was actually eaten at my cousin’s house yesterday morning. My aunt who typically watches my goddaughter Mia is out of town this week. Luckily for Melissa (my cousin), I am off this week so I am able to watch Mia in the mornings. That means I get to spend some time with an adorable 7 month old who enjoys smiling more than life.

Breakfast was eaten while Mia was trying to decide whether she was tired and if she should go back to sleep (answer: yes she was tired and yes she should have gone back to sleep — did she? no…). I wasn’t too hungry because of my large dinner the night before, so I cut back on the oats today to have a smaller portion.

March 27, 2012 012
The usual chocolate protein oats, cooked with 1/3 cup oats instead of 1/2 cup. It was delicious!

The rest of my time at my cousin’s was spent playing with Mia (she really likes Itsy Bitsy Spider) until my other aunt got there to relieve me until tomorrow.

When I got home, I was incredibly tired and crabby. Going to bed at 11 and getting up at 5 does not work well with my body. I had about an hour to kill before I had to head off for my volunteer session at the Vegan Cafe, so I crawled right back into bed and fell asleep at lightning speed. The Husband had to laugh when he walked into our room and saw me snuggling up to catch some snoozes.

It was pretty nice outside today, and I was planning on taking a walk at some point anyways, so I decided to walk to the Vegan Cafe. It is about a 2 mile walk each way, so you better believe I counted that as my exercise today!

I had a great time catching up with everyone, and I can’t wait until the summer when I have more time to commit to volunteering and helping out around the cafe. I drank part one of my lunch around 1:30 when one of the other volunteers made some green juice for everyone. I wasn’t really hungry, but figured I should get some nutrients into my body since I had been on my feet for about 3 hours already at that point.

Lunch Part 1 — 1:30

March 27, 2012 014

I’m pretty sure this had spinach, kale, lemon, lime, apples, and ginger. It was pretty good! It was made in the Vitamix, so it was kind of pulpy, but I didn’t mind. It had a great lime flavor to it!

I bid adieu to the cafe around 2:00 and started my walk home. On the way, I decided to stop at the store to pick up a few things for the Husband and came home for my second lunch while watching Ellen (one of the best parts about Spring Break).

Lunch Part 2 — 3:00

Last night on our fun dinner (which you will hear about tomorrow), I picked up something to eat today for lunch — a salmon roll! Hint: it’s raw. Hint: there’s really no salmon in it.

March 27, 2012 016
I also ate a coconut macaroon the size of a tennis ball. I’m not joking.

March 27, 2012 017

And a few handfuls of puffins were also consumed.

Dinner — 6:30 PM

March 27, 2012 020
Dinner was quick and easy. I wish it weren’t so boring, but this is one of my most favorite things to eat when it’s warm outside — a salad and sweet potato. The salad was filled to the brim with avocado and I topped it with hummus so it would keep me full.

I finished dinner with a few squares of dark chocolate, and I’m sure there will be a snack at some point tonight — I’m feeling granola (are you surprised?).

Aaaand I also realized that a large majority of my foods today were raw! Interesting!

Question: Have you ever eaten raw or eaten at a raw restaurant before?

katie March 28, 2012 at 6:13 am

Wow that macaroon is huge, biggest one I think I have ever seen! Looks so good!

Glad your week is going good and how sweet you get to watch your goddaughter! I bet she is adorable!

Happy Wednesday! <3

Kathleen @ The Daily Crumb March 28, 2012 at 6:18 am

Mmmm puffins. Possibly my #1 weakness in life! I have never been to a raw restaurant but really want to try Karyn’s in Limcoln Park. Can’t wait to eat where you went!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:24 am

okay so I read this comment AFTER I read your other comment. So funny that you said you wanted to go to the place I went to! We’ll make it there together!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles March 28, 2012 at 6:40 am

Happy Spring break! ENJOY!!! :) …..That salmon roll- Mmmmm! And there is no salmon in it, I’m excited! ……A 4 mile walk, you better believe that is exercise! That is what I did yesterday, it was such a beautiful day!
Spring Break made me *super* excited for summer and the chance to live again! I can’t wait till May!!! :) Enjoy your Ellen watching days!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:24 am

Did you have your SB this week? If so, I hope you enjoyed it!

Khushboo March 28, 2012 at 6:44 am

Waaait a second: where are the almonds & raisins :) ! I know what you mean about salad/baked potato being boring yet your favorite thing to eat! The same goes for me with eggs….I seem to eat them all the time but they’re just so easy and taste delicious every time- plus the varieties are endless!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:24 am

haha they took a hiatus!

Kristen M March 28, 2012 at 6:50 am

The Vegan Cafe looks awesome!! I love raw foods and try to stick to 90% raw – quite the challenge during the winter months however. The Borrowed Earth Cafe in Downer’s Grove is a wonderful raw restaurant with insanely nice owners – you should definitely check it out! Plus it is right across the street from the tivoli & bowling alley so you can catch a flick for $4 & bowl all the energy from your meal. Loooveeeee raw foods – glad to see it is catching on more in the burbs! :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:29 am

I’ve been there before actually! We went last year. It was really good! I loved their pizza.

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 28, 2012 at 6:56 am

I love sweet potatoes year round as a quick n’ easy dinner! In fact, I had one last night!
I’ve never been to a raw cafe before but I’ve always wanted to check one out!

Linz @ Itz Linz March 28, 2012 at 6:57 am

I took a raw vegan class before thanks to groupon and it was AWESOME! I was amazed at what the chef was able to create and how unbelievable delicious everything was!!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:30 am

That sounds neat! The Vegan Cafe offers raw cooking classes – they love to educate!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 28, 2012 at 6:58 am

Awesome eats! That green juice sounds fab :)

Blog is the New Black March 28, 2012 at 7:06 am

Just started the new JP book, too! She’s my fav!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:30 am

I finished it yesterday. It was so good.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 28, 2012 at 7:17 am

I’ve never been to a raw restaurant, but I’m sure it would be good! I’m pretty open to anything!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 28, 2012 at 7:23 am

I’ve never been to a raw restaurant before! And I doubt I ever will unless a nut-free raw restaurant opens (or hey, maybe I should just open one? ;) ). That “salmon” roll seriously looks delicious though!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:31 am

Yeah, nuts and raw restaurants are kind of the norm unfortunately!

Tiff March 28, 2012 at 7:33 am

I’m glad you caught up on some sleep, though I must admit, I’m pretty jealous. I need spring break!!!! :)

To answer your question, no raw diet here. Never visited a raw restaurant either.

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:32 am

They’re fun! You shold definitely try to get to one!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) March 28, 2012 at 7:58 am

Wish we lived closer and I could bring H to come play with you and Mia! I’m not sure raw would work well for me long term, but I eat salad raw ;)

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:33 am

haha I eat salad raw too – I could never eat raw all the time, but it’s fun to experiment!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List March 28, 2012 at 8:13 am

You? Granola? Never!!

cleaneatingchelsey March 28, 2012 at 10:33 am

I know, right? It seems quite out of character for me.

Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls March 28, 2012 at 8:58 am

Ah I’m reading Lone Wolf too and I love it! I’m only about halfway through it though so don’t ruin anything!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:33 am

I won’t ruin anything – but I will tell you I finished it yesterday and it was fantastic!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 28, 2012 at 9:17 am

Wow, that tennis ball treat looks unreal.
I’m in the market for a new book… I think I’ll check this Lone Wolf thing out!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:33 am

It was unreal – so delicious!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 28, 2012 at 9:24 am

Was wondering where you were…sleeping and reading a book are VERY good reasons not to be spending time blogging :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:34 am

I’ve got to spend more time enjoying my spring break, right?

Faith @ For the Health of It March 28, 2012 at 10:19 am

Ooh, now you have me wondering what’s really in that salmon roll. It looks FANTASTIC! I totally miss fish sushi – it would be so fun to mix it up with a raw roll…

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:34 am

It was just a bunch of vegetables – lol and I think some walnuts mixed with butternut squash? I think that was the “salmon”

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 28, 2012 at 10:26 am

i had a weird appetite yesterday too, but it was the opposite as your’s… i felt like i was eating a ton all day long and i was still hungry. oh well, i lived it up and kept eating. ;) a salad and baked sweet potato is often my “go-to” quick and easy meal too. i could never get sick of them!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:46 am

I definitely have days like that too!

Suzie March 28, 2012 at 10:26 am

Wow, your day of eats simple looked perfect! I’m craving some sushi now… and I love yams, I probably eat them 3 times a week!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:47 am

I’m craving REAL sushi now!

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 28, 2012 at 10:32 am

Any time I start reading a Jodi Picoult book, I have to schedule to put my life on hold. She’s a master. And I’m obsessed with everything she writes. Too much?

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 6:47 am

Not. At. All.

I completely understand!

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola March 28, 2012 at 11:43 am

Yay for spring break!!! How nice that you got to watch the little one and then I would have totally used that hour for sleep too. In college if I even had an hour between classes I would fit in a nap! I miss those days! And I love green juice but am not sure how I’d feel about the pulp! And that macaroon looks so good!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I miss those days too! I used to love sleeping in between classes!

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 28, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Did you make that macaroon? You’re adorable with the way you write, so fun!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I did not make the macaroon – I bought it at RAW which is downtown in the French market in Chicago.

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 30, 2012 at 3:33 pm

you should totally recreate a healthy version for healthy aperture! you could do it Chelsey!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Holy cow that’s a macaroon?!?! Me want.

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 3:10 pm

It’s quite large, no?

Amber K March 28, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I have eaten at a raw restaurant before, but it was super expensive. Too expensive considering I was starving again within an hour. But I guess eating more often is part of the point?

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 3:11 pm

That’s so weird – I’m always STUFFED when I leave raw places! They are pretty expensive though.

Michelle (Peachy Palate) March 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm

The “salmon” roll…I am intrigued but I’ll be honest I’m more taken by the coconut macaroon!!! Did you make it? If you did I NEED the recipe!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I did not make it – I bought it at RAW which is a raw place in Chicago.

Michelle (Peachy Palate) March 31, 2012 at 11:15 am

ah! You should give go give it a go recreating it :)

Elizabeth March 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Your days eats look fab! I do about 75% of my daily meals raw. I find it just makes me feel so good! If you ever come to Charlotte, NC, let me know. I will take you to the most fabulous restaurant called Luna’s Living Kitchen. It uses all organic, local, raw & vegan ingredients. It is simply divine.

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I’ve heard all about that restaurant!

Lisa March 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Glad you enjoyed time with your goddaughter! I love how big that macaroon is, that’s more my style. I’ve been having a hard time reading this week. I keep on falling asleep during the book, bad sign I guess eh. Sweet potatoes are the best for an easy dinner!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I’ve had no problems reading my books this week, but I’ve had a huge problem keeping up on blogs!

Coco March 28, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Um.. yum.. where can I get one of those macaroons?! They thing looks epic!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm

RAW in Chicago!

Katie March 28, 2012 at 3:07 pm

That macaroon!!! I waaaant it.

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 28, 2012 at 3:47 pm

That macaroon looks REALLY good! Who cares that it’s the size of a tennis ball?! ;)

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Not me! I loved every bite!

Emily March 28, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I love raw restaurants. It’s so neat that you’re able to volunteer over there during the summer- jealous! The raw/vegan restaurant right around the corner from me offers cooking classes and raw-food support groups on the weekend. I’m planning to start taking them soon! It will help expand my cooking horizons.
And I had a salad and sweet potato for lunch today! Too funny. That’s definitely my go-to summertime meal.

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm

That sounds like so much fun!

Lauren March 28, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I’m totally intrigued by this salmonless salmon roll! It looks incredible!

Lauren @ Fun, fit and Fabulous! March 28, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I went to a raw cafe the other day and it was delicious! I had the most amazing avocado hummus with capers. It was delicious!!!

cleaneatingchelsey March 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm