currently reading

October 16, 2012

It’s been way too long since I’ve done a book post! I’ve still been finding time to read every day, and many of you have asked me how I find the time to read as much as I do. The truth is, I don’t have a life. Okay, that might be a bit of a lie — but I will ALWAYS find time to read! I read every night before I go to bed (sometimes it’s only 10 minutes before I fall asleep — other nights it’s an hour). I have my kindle with me almost always, so whenever I get a few spare moments, I tend to read. And we usually have a lazy day during the weekend. I try to be really productive one day so I have time to relax the next. It’s all about priorities!

So, what have I been reading lately?

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Oooooh man. I’m about 75% done with this book, and I have to say that Flynn is twisted. Just like Gone Girl, this novel is filled with crazy female characters. This novel opens up with Camille, a thirty-something reporter in Chicago, being given an assignment to go back to her hometown in Missouri. There’s been two murders there, both of little girls, and they seem to be connected. She has to go to the town she left ten years ago and face her mother, Adora, who has never loved her. This novel has keep me thinking, just like Gone Girl did. I can’t wait to see how it ends!

Also on my list to be read…

White Jacket Required

Let’s Pretend this Never Happened

Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio (love her!)

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

I know I have more books on my list right now, but it’s so hard to think more than 4 or 5 books ahead at a time.

What books are on your list right now?

Brittany Moore October 16, 2012 at 6:06 am

Sharp Objects is insanely twisted! My original plan was to read Gone Girl first but the only book they had by Flynn was this book so I went ahead and purchased it not knowing what to expect. Crazy ending, I think you’ll love it!

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:06 am

I was kind of expecting that ending about the first half of the novel, and then I changed my mind and was kiiiind of surprised at the end!

Katie H. October 16, 2012 at 6:07 am

Thanks for the recommendation! I haven’t heard of this one.

I’m a big reader, too. To squeeze in more time for “reading”, I listen to audiobooks on my runs and on my commute.

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:07 am

That’s a good tip!

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 16, 2012 at 6:46 am

I can’t wait to read The Casual Vacancy!! I’m on the list at the library, patiently waiting for it to count down to me! (I put a copy on hold many months ago, so I’m “near” the front of the list at least — only 158 more people to go!!)
In the meantime, I’m more than open to recommendations — I’ve been loving the dystopic novels lately, so I might search for a few of those (while waiting for the last of the Divergent trilogy to be released on that front!).

Katie H. October 16, 2012 at 7:20 am

Haha, me too! Except I’m number 701…

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:07 am

I’ll probably just buy it! I’m too impatient! ha!

Linz @ Itz Linz October 16, 2012 at 6:51 am

I’m in the middle of I’ve Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella – a very easy, mindless read. I wish I had more time to read!

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:08 am

I’ve actually never read any of her books! I should!

Brenda October 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I loved this book. It IS mindless reading, but you need that, especially after busy work days.
Another book I read was The Time Keeper, and Those Who Save Us, both good!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 16, 2012 at 7:12 am

Wow – sounds pretty twisted to me! haha I’m in a book slump right now. This Bible study I joined is taking more of my reading time than I had anticipated.

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:09 am

That’s okay though!

Lauren October 16, 2012 at 7:18 am

Ah, I need another Gillian Flynn book! I just ready Beautiful Disaster and was really disappointed. I also just got the next 50 Shades book so that is next on my list.

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:09 am

Which one? the second or the third?

Kim L. October 16, 2012 at 7:25 am

I am currently reading Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin (she wrote the Happiness Project which I really enjoyed). On my list are Love Anthony by Lisa Genova (read her 1st two books- Still Alice and Left Neglected, both really good), Gone Girl, Where We Belong by Emily Giffin, Sutton by J.R. Moehringer (highly recommend his memoir- The Tender Bar), as well as The Casual Vacancy, Blackberry Winter and White Jacket Required! I have a book ledge on my elliptical and my Kindle fits perfectly- so I try to work out every morning and get 30-45 minutes of reading in at the same time. Win-win!!!

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:09 am

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Emily (@MotherOnADIme) October 16, 2012 at 7:29 am

I’m working my way through ‘Odd Thomas’ by Dean Koontz for my book club. I’ve never read any of Koontz’s work and it was not something I would have picked up off the shelf MYSELF, but I have been enjoying it surprisingly and it’s a nice little reminder that’s what book clubs are all about, branching out in to different genres

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:10 am

That is a great reminder!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 16, 2012 at 7:32 am

I always keep a book and my magazine stash next to the bed – definitely helps the falling asleep process!
The first two books on your list are on my “to-read” as well! I haven’t read Gone Girl yet, so I’m thinking I should pick that up.

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:10 am

It’s SOOOO good!

Abby @ Change of Pace October 16, 2012 at 7:34 am

Thanks for the reading list!
I’m currently reading The Last Letter From Your Lover by Jojo Moyes and You Are An Ironman by Jacques steinberg.
The last book I read was awesome- Molokai by Alan brennert.
Have a fabulous day!

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:10 am

LOVED that book by Moyes!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 16, 2012 at 7:50 am

Okay now I have to read Sharp Objects. And you really should read Dark Places, this months’ book club read! Even if you don’t go, I loved it!

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:11 am

I know I know!!!!!!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots October 16, 2012 at 7:52 am

ooh must add to my list!! I just read “13 Reasons why” and enjoyed it, it was a quick read I was sort of disappointed with the ending though. I am currently reading “lies that Chelsea Handler told me” which is hilarious and highly recommend it!

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:12 am

I’ve heard that about the ending of 13 Reasons Why! Although I do still want to read it.

OMG anything by Chelsea Handler is HILARIOUS. Have you read “Are You There Vodka?” or “My Horizontal Life”? Both excellent choices!!! :)

Amy @my life as a lazy girl October 16, 2012 at 7:53 am

I just finished Blackberry Winter! Love love love Sarah Jio. I’m in the middle of casual vacancy and sadly it’s pretty meh. I loved Harry potter but this doesn’t pull you in in the same way. It’s not terrible but I have no problem putting it down.

I loved gone girl so looks like sharp objects may be next on my list.

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:12 am

boooo – bring me some more harry potter!

Lindsey October 16, 2012 at 8:10 am

I am Nicolas Sparks obsessed right now, read True Believer and The Choice both were awesome.

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:12 am

I loved Nicolas Sparks a while ago – his love stories make me sigh. haha!

Beks October 16, 2012 at 8:14 am

I ahve so many wanna-reads on my Goodreads list, it’s not even funny. Right now, I’ve just finished “13 Reasons Why” for PB Finger’s Book Club, and I’m also reading “Gone Girl,” and “Inzared: Queen of the Elephants,” a wannabe “Water-for-Elephants,” I think.

Allison@commitcomplete October 16, 2012 at 8:15 am

Just finished Unorthodox, which was really good. I also want to read Casual Vacancy. I saw J.K. Rowling on Jon Stewart last night and it got me excited for the book.

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:13 am

I’ll have to look into Unorthodox!

Rachel October 16, 2012 at 9:28 am

I’m dying to read JK Rowling’s new book! :D I was a huge Harry Potter fan so I’m all for any of her writing lol

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:14 am

I heard it’s not as good as HP though! :( ::tears::

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 16, 2012 at 9:31 am

Gone Girl is definitely on my list, and now that I just finished my final Master’s portfolio project, I think I will actually be able to make time to read. I guess I need to prioritize a little more like you! ;)

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:14 am

Woohoo!!!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 16, 2012 at 9:56 am

Books are kind of my life, so I always find time to read as well. Kinda sucks when it’s only 10 minutes before I’m passing out, but I’ll take whatever I can get ;)

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:15 am

haha me too!

Lisa October 16, 2012 at 10:11 am

I’m reading the same thing!!! LOVE it so far, your right super intense!! But, it sucks you right in! And funny, because JK Rowling’s new book is next on my list! I just downloaded it to read!

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:15 am

I finished it two nights ago – wowzers!!!

Annette@FitnessPerks October 16, 2012 at 11:13 am

I want to read Gone Girl! The library wait list is freaking long though.

I haven’t had much time lately to get a ‘book list’ but I should get on that. I loooovvveee reading!

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola October 16, 2012 at 12:05 pm

People always ask me the same thing but the answer is pretty simple- I just make time to read! Plus, I get a good 30 minutes or so in naturally on my commute! And we are are reading Gone Girl for my next book club so after that I might have to check out Sharp Objects! I also have Sarah Jio’s new book on my list- her books go so fast! Right now I’m reading Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan but I just finished Sarah’s Key which was fantastic!

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:16 am

I wish I could read on my commute! That would be AWESOME.

Samantha October 16, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I just read Blackberry Winter! It is just as good as her other books!

I am currently reading Casual Vacancy and I am not sure how I feel yet. I am about a quarter of the way in and it still seems a bit slow, we shall see!

And, after Casual Vacancy I think I am going to read Gone Girl (a little late to that bandwagon…lol).

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:16 am

That’s okay – hop on!

christina October 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I definitely want to check out Gillian Flynn’s novel bc I loved Gone Girl…especially now that you call her twisted, ha!!! The JK Rowling book seems interesting as well. I started “Let’s Pretend this Never Happened” and could not do it. I just found it to be rambling and not at all funny. Interested to hear what you think! Stay nerdy!!

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:16 am

Blah. Then I don’t know if I want to reeead it! We always like the same books!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal October 16, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Hmmm maybe I’ll give the Sharp Objects book a try, I heard it was better than Gone Girl (which was good but I wasn’t SUPER into it). I’m currently reading Jodi Picoult’s Nineteen Minutes. I have the third 50 Shades book waiting for me and some other book, I forgot the name. I’m anxiously awaiting getting Cloud Atlas too.

I tried reading (well, audiobooking) The Casual Vacancy and wasn’t into it. It was kinda boring. But that’s just me.

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:17 am

It’s a LOT more twisted than Gone Girl, I’ll tell you that much!

Stephanie Raley October 16, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Im reading the paris wife. but i think Im going to look for that book you are reading next.

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:17 am

I forgot about the Paris Wife! I need to read that one too!

Amber K October 16, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I can’t even keep up with all of the various books I am reading. I did just finish a James Patterson book and I’m reading another book by Jen Lancaster.

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:18 am

i’ve never gotten into Patterson. I should give him a try because my mom has ALL of his books!

Amber K October 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm

The only bummer is he’s pretty hit and miss with me. Some of his are absolute thrilling pageturners and others…eh? The one I was reading was Don’t Blink and I just didn’t connect with a single character. It wasn’t suspenseful to see if someone died because I really didn’t care whether or not they were fine. But The Women’s Murder Club series is AMAZING and so is the Alex Cross series (and the Alex Cross movie is coming out soon!)

lisa October 23, 2012 at 6:27 pm

definitely read his early novels, and not ANYTHING that he co-authors on. I used to LOVE him..read everything I could get my hands on, and then he turned to crap. ;)

Erin October 16, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I love Sarah Jio too… Blackberry Winter is amazing!!

Emily October 16, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I just finished Bloom — in about one day — it was so good!

cleaneatingchelsey October 18, 2012 at 6:18 am

and did you cry the entire time? Yeah, me too!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 16, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I always squeeze in reading before bed too. It’s the perfect way to end the day and help me wind down for bed.

I read White Jacket Required a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it! I wonder if Jenna has a sequel in the works… I want more! Haha.

Angie @ Pint of Goals October 16, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I just placed a big order through Amazon on Friday, and my books are starting to ship! So exciting! I got The Book Whisperer (which I know you read) and Burned In (another teacher book), Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, and a handful of YA books. Right now I’m reading Loving Frank, which is about Frank Lloyd Wright’s mistress – I believe it’s historical fiction. I still haven’t read Gone Girl :( One day.

Kristin October 16, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I just read Blackberry Winter and as much as I love Sarah Jio, I just didn’t like this book.

I reccomend The Boleyn Inheritance, by Phillipa Gregory. I finished it last night and it was amazing!

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 16, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I’m the same way with reading. I’m always reading two books at a time: one on my kindle at night and one audiobook on my ipod whenever I run or drive. Sharp Objects sounds right up my alley for my next book!

Sharla October 16, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I finished White Jacket Required a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it! I’ve been looking for something to really catch my attention so need to try a few of these. Thanks!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 17, 2012 at 7:24 am

i want to read Jenna’s book too!!

Jentry Nielsen October 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Oh I’ll have to add this on my books to read list! I am currently obsessed with Nicholas Sparks as I got two of his books for my birthday. I just finished “The Guardian” it was quite twisted as well! So good though! “Bend in the Road” is the one I’m reading now it’s so good as of the first 100 pages! Definitely recommend both of them!

Natalie @ Free Range Human October 17, 2012 at 2:30 pm

The Casual Vacancy is on my bookshelf right now waiting on me! I’m also slowly working my way through the Stephanie Plum novels. I obviously was late to the party and didn’t realize how fantastic they are until recently!

Marla-Deen October 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm

After I read Gone Girl I got on this quest and read every book by Gillian Flynn – one right after another! Sharp objects was really off of my normal reads, but I did like it. You have to read Dark Places next! It’ll really keep your attention!

luv what you do October 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I finished gone girl and was thinking about picking up some of her other books. I think I should head over to Amazon now.

lorraine courtney May 30, 2013 at 9:30 am