my personality

April 12, 2012

The other day, Aubrey posted a really great post about personalities. She wrote about how we can read someone’s blog each and every day, but do we really “know” each other? There are so many things I keep off of the blog — for privacy, so you don’t think I’m crazy, and well, because I can’t blog everything. That would just be ridiculous.

Needless to say, as open as I am about some things, there are many others you don’t know about me. I hope these ten questions give you some insight about the kind of person I “really” am!

10 Questions About My Personality

1. When a cashier in the checkout line at the grocery store is being a grump for no reason, how do you typically react?

I always remind myself when I come in contact with people who are not in a good mood that I do not know what is happening in their life of what their situation is. They might have had a bad morning, gotten in a fight with a family member, or just might be incredibly tired. I typically give them a big smile and tell them I hope they have a great rest of their day — and thank them for their service.

I’m such a nerd, but I swear I do this.

Oh, unless they’re giving me major attitude. Like the one girl at Chipotle a few weeks ago who was rolling her eyes at me when she had to remake my burrito bowl because she wasn’t listening to what I wanted and was dumping in anything she wanted. My mom had to hold me back for telling her off.

2. Are you the type that likes going out with your girlfriends or staying in?

A little bit of both. I love going out with my friends for lunch or dinner, but I am a grandma and like being in by 9. I’m not a girl who likes to go out to bars or go dancing (except at weddings — watch out!), but a quiet lounge where I can actually hear others talk is fine by me. Other than that, I love snuggling up on my couch and reading a book or hanging out with the Husband.

3. Do you sob and get emotional watching romance movies?

I don’t sob during movies, but I do shed a few tears every now and again. I’m a very emotional person in real life — I don’t have enough emotions left to cry during a movie. ;)

4. What stresses you out the most?

Worrying — and I do a lot of it. I can worry myself into a tizzy if I don’t watch my thoughts. Thankfully I’ve gotten better at calming myself down and not doing this. I just have to face the situation and get over with it! Oh, and I worry inside my head. No one else knows I am worrying!

5. What do you think people think of you?

I am one of those people who absolutely without a doubt cares way too much about what others think about me. I have been like this for as long as I can remember. I want to be accepted and liked by others — and there have been times when I was younger that I would compromise what I thought was right so others would like me. Obviously now since I’m an adult, I do what I want but hope that others will not think poorly of me. While I say I “don’t care” what others think, that’s just a big fat lie. I’ve always been a people please, and I want others to like me. I think people think I’m an overall happy person who has a good outlook on life.

6. When you overindulge do you hit the gym to burn it all off, or just accept the indulgence and follow your same routine?

A few years ago, I probably would have taken it up an extra notch at the gym the next day. However, now I’m just okay with it. Indulgences are just that — indulgent!

7. Are you easily annoyed?

With adults, yes. With children, no. I figure adults should know how to act in social settings and should be able to take social cues. Kids are still learning and I have a lot of patience for them, or else I couldn’t be a teacher. :)

8. What do you think is your biggest personality flaw?

Overreacting. There are so many times where I freak out without thinking if I’m angry. I burst into tears if I hear bad news without knowing all the facts (or I just jump to the worst conclusion possible without thinking it through). Just ask my husband who frequently has me giving him a hug about five minutes after I stupidly say something.

9. What is one thing you don’t think people see enough of when it comes to your personality?

Well, not that I don’t think they “don’t see enough of it”, but I think people don’t realize how much I internalize. I’m really good at making people think I’m fine when something happens (that is unless they’re my family and see the real deal). I may not look stressed on the outside, but sometimes I’m a wreck on the inside and there’s a very good chance that no one will know! Yeah, healthy — right? Yeah, not so much. I just really don’t want to complain to others when I know everyone is dealing with their own problems.

10. Can you feel relaxed in a busy crowd or messy room?

Absolutely not. I can’t leave work unless my desk is cleaned off and everything is put away. I hate when I come home and there are dishes in my sink of the bed isn’t made (every day — ha!). It’s the part of me who loves to control everything. Very Type A!

Question: Answer one above about yourself!

Khushboo April 12, 2012 at 6:07 am

This was fun to read and learn more about you, Chelsey! As for question number 1, I hate to admit it but I would probably give the cashier some attitude back. I have little tolerance for unwarranted rudeness!

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:00 pm

haha! there have been times where I’ve been tempted to!

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries April 12, 2012 at 6:36 am

Welp, I know what I’m doing for my blog today.

I think this is a fabulous idea, because so often people feel like they “know” you because you write about one moment or meal of your life everyday.

I’m glad to know that after reading this, I still like you just as much :) But if you were with me in person and worrying about what others thought of you – I’d tell you to “F the haters and move forward” I used to be a “do they like me?” worrier, too :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I loved yours – I read it during my lunch hour. And you made me remember that I forgot to write down that everyone knows I’m one sarcastic lady!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 12, 2012 at 6:48 am

It always drove my best friend/college roommate nuts how she could never tell when I was frazzled, stressed, or feeling negative. I am a pretty even person on the outside- except with those people who can read me like a book- the sister was the only one who could read me- till I met the husband. It drove me NUTS that he could tell what was going on on the inside, no one else could do that (even my parents or best friends!) so how the heck could he! Drove.me.nuts. Now, I’m thankful that I don’t even have go out of my comfort zone to tell him something is wrong, he can read me.
I ,too, have zero patience for ill behaving adults- they should know better…. but I rarely get annoyed, only once in a blue moon—– crud, does while driving count?! I do get annoyed while driving.
PS- reading all of your answers confirms what a great spirit you have and that your mommy raised you well. Just look at answer number 1 to confirm. <3

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Thanks Julie! You’re so sweet!

And the Husband knows when I’m faking it too – sooo annoying, right? ;)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 12, 2012 at 6:54 am

I can be totally relaxed amongst a mess, but not in a crowd – I don’t care about things being neat and tidy, but hate a ton of noise and chaos. :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Being a 5th grader teacher, you learn to block out noise and chaos! :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 12, 2012 at 6:55 am

Love this! And when Chipotle is busy, I feel like they don’t listen and start throwing things on my salad! I once ended up with the super spicy salsa because they weren’t paying attention to me! But I’m the same way, I always smile and say thank you because I used to work in retail and I hated it when people didn’t say thank you!

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I only worked in retail for a month and I hated it. That is something I will never go back to!

Simply Life April 12, 2012 at 7:08 am

I love this! Thanks for sharing and THANK YOU for always being so honest in your posts – it is definitely appreciated! :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:07 pm

No point in putting up a facade, right?

Linz @ Itz Linz April 12, 2012 at 7:09 am

I’m totally with you on the patience thing for kids vs. adults! I wish I was a little more Type A… Throughout the day, my desk accumulates so much stuff and by the end of the day… well, it just sits there. “Organized chaos?” Yes, that’s me! I do always know where everything is though!

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:07 pm

haha I don’t know how those kinds of teachers function!!! YOu’ll have to teach me your tricks.

Michelle@PeachyPalate April 12, 2012 at 7:11 am

I immediately felt most comfortable answering my biggest flaw…that’s my flaw! I’m totally with you on the worrying and it stressing me out. When I’m not not worrying I’m worrying about why I’m not worrying!

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:08 pm

haha so many “worries” in that sentence!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 12, 2012 at 7:29 am

My answer to #7 is almost identical to yours! I exercise extreme patience when I’m at work around high schoolers all day, but I don’t have the same tolerance for adults!

Tiff April 12, 2012 at 7:34 am

Interesting idea for a survey!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 12, 2012 at 7:43 am

So fun to read this! I think my biggest personality flaw is being too hard on myself. I often put so much pressure on myself to be “perfect”, which is dumb, because that’s just not possible. And a lot of times this just ends up with me in tears or incredibly frustrated!

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I gave that up a few months ago – it feels incredibly good to not be so tough on myself!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! April 12, 2012 at 7:53 am

I am the same way when it comes to a messy room! Its when slight ocd tendencies come out! I can’t focus on moving on to the next thing until everything is put away or picked up!

Katie April 12, 2012 at 7:59 am

thanks for sharing! I love reading your posts everyday so its cool to find out a little more. I am also a HUGE worrywort as well! I internalize everything and I am always wondering how to help myself worry less. What are some techniques you use to not worry or calm yourself down when you get so worked up?

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I typically listen to encouraging music (I’m a huge fan of K-Love – google it, you can listen online!), pray, or take a walk. It gets my mind off of things!

Sarah @BlondeBostonian April 12, 2012 at 8:18 am

It sounds like we’re very similar, Chelsey! I also can’t deal with mess and internalize everything! Type A to the max

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 12, 2012 at 8:45 am

oh my goodness, would it be creepy if i told you i’d answer each of these questions almost exactly the same? holy moly, you’re right, we’re so alike! haha. the only one i’d differ on is the one that you said you internalize stuff and people have a hard time knowing if something is wrong with you. i pretty much wear my emotions on my sleeve, which is good sometimes, but other times i wish i wasn’t like that.

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I knew you’d be similar!! lol!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 12, 2012 at 8:49 am

In regards to #1…I had an almost identical experience at a Chipotle in D.C. except she was rolling her eyes and then bitching me out to her coworker in spanish about me adding things and changing my mind. Would’ve worked like a charm if I wasn’t a spanish major in college. So I responded back to her in Spanish saying “I understand everything you’re saying. Good try.” Then she just handed my burrito bowl to the cashier and wouldn’t look at me.

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm

hahaha I love stories like that!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance April 12, 2012 at 8:54 am

Girl, you practically just described ME! I’m a huge internalizer, but that’s something I’m progressively working on through my faith and relationship with Will. Same with overreacting, and same with wanting everyone to like me.
I’m non-confrontational by nature, so I like to avoid arguments or quarrels rather than begin them. It sounds like a good thing, but things can really pile up after a while!

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Oh I am so non-confrontational… and so ALLL talk. I swore up and down I was going to confront someone today about something that bothered me and I totally chickened out!

Tracey April 12, 2012 at 9:07 am

Oh my goodness, we are one in the same! I would have answered practically every question the same! Total worrier, overreact and think the worst, internalize wayyy too much, care what others think- especially as a kid, and easily annoyed/shocked with adults who don’t act appropriately in social settings. However, I find myself being extra nice to grumpy people out of spite, not because I feel bad! ha. Although, I do try to tell myself that more often, especially when their income relies on my tip. Great post!

christina April 12, 2012 at 9:13 am

Aww may I please copy this? This is a good one!!
I love the way you answered #1. So true. You just never know what someone is going through! I try not to react negatively toward them and remember just that…and leave with a smile :)

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm

You sure can, although it’s not mine to copy! I know Aubrey is interested in seeing how many people answer it though!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 12, 2012 at 9:38 am

We have so much in common! I’m pretty sure I’ll be filling out this survey on my blog very soon!
#4- I also worry way too much. It makes me anxious, over-emotional and sometimes, kind of a mess. I’m learning to stop worrying about things that haven’t even happened yet, but it’s difficult!

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I agree – I feel like I’m bipolar in that sense too which is something I didn’t write about. I worry myself to the ground and then I do a complete 180 and tell myself there’s nothing to worry about and go on my merry little way!

Parita @ myinnershakti April 12, 2012 at 9:56 am

Loved reading more about you. You’re right, reading someone’s blog doesn’t always give you a 360 degree perspective on her life and who she is as a person.

And umm, Chelsey, we are the same person, except for the fact that I don’t internalize. Everything I’m feeling shows on my face and in my body language. I’m working on that though.

Mila @ loftyappetite April 12, 2012 at 10:12 am

I loved reading this! I could relate with so many of your answers. I can’t handle messes either and love a good night in. I find that the “internalize” trait you mentioned is so common in teachers. I’m not a teacher, but I’ve heard more than 1 of my teacher friends mention this! Very interesting! I’m going to write my own version of this survey on my blog, if you don’t mind!

Lisa April 12, 2012 at 10:47 am

Oh I love this survey! Girl, we have almost everything in common! Crazy! Except I totally sob during movies, is it sad that most commercials make me cry too? Yah, got to work on that one. It can be embarrassing if I’m out with people and I cry during a commercial.

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 12, 2012 at 11:10 am

The last one…I am not relaxed in a messy room! I actually sometimes stop certain baking projects when my kitchen is out of control messy and dirty dishes everywhere because I can’t even concentrate on the recipe at a certain point, only all that mess going on around me! lol

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 12, 2012 at 11:15 am

I think you are my clone haha. I agreed with everything you just said about yourself … too funny! I’m glad you shared. I’m somewhat new to your blog, so it’s nice to learn more about you!!

Brittany @Little b's healthy habits April 12, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I feel the same way! Before I read through this I thought about doing it on my blog, but now theres really no use because it seems that Chelsey and I are the exact same person!

Ellie @ healthy belly ellie April 12, 2012 at 11:17 am

I’m the same way with internalizing emotions… I am getting better at it, but it’s tough! I just don’t want to be a burden to others by letting out all my problems…

I guess that’s what therapists are for ;) or friends….

Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 12, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Raising my hand as an eternal people pleaser myself, but I’m getting better. I think because we moved so much when I was a kid, I learned fast how to fit in with new groups of friends, at new schools etc and that was usually by just working out what everyone liked and then bringing out only the aspects of my personality that fit with that, and hiding the others. I still do this a bit today, and it’s bad. For example, I have a really girlie side to me and a really practical ‘male’ side. If I’m around a girl who quickly lets me know how much girlie girls annoy her I will quickly stuff that side of myself away and bring out the all-male no-frills side. Haha now I sound like I’m completely bipolar. I don’t do it for long, but just if I know I’m just spending a few hours with this person and it’s going to make life easier, I do it, and it’s not that healthy! I’ve learned now not to do it with people I genuinely want to get to know, at least. I’ll work on it for the rest of the time!

Gabby @ the veggie nook April 12, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Ummm so basically we are the same person- over-worrier, overreactor, huge internalizer, cares a little too much about what people think, love staying in and try to remember I don’t know everyone’s story when they are rude or short with me. Every answer you wrote was pretty much what I was thinking for my own answer. It was a little eerie but so cool! Awesome post, I really enjoyed reading it :)

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 12, 2012 at 12:53 pm

So, I’m probably one of the messiest females you will ever meet….. My husband likes everything perfectly clean and tidy while I could lounge around with a messy house and not think anything about it! When it’s time to clean I want to go hibernate somewhere! Ha but I must admit I like the look of our house when it’s clean I just don’t enjoy, okay I hate, the cleaning part!

Lizzie @TheWeekdayVegan April 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Wow, I would actually give shockingly similar answers to most of those questions! For #1, I like to say hello to the cashier by name from their nametag–my mom taught me to do this, and I have found it really makes a difference. Often cashiers seem to think that no one cares to know their name or have a real conversation, so I call them by name which they typically appreciate, and then try to remember them for the next time I go in that store. I must say, it works! One of the grouchiest cashiers I have ever met now beams everytime I walk in the store and we chat!

Amber K April 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I am totally an internalizer as well. Except with certain people. My husband and best friend can read every emotion I have. They know when I’m being totally fake because I’m upset or in pain and don’t want the other people we’re around to know.

Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 12, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I still like you and maybe even more so since you are so open about admitting “flaws” in your personality. I can relate to so many things that you said and think we are similar in our type-A mentality. With #3 we are twins!

Carol @ Lucky Zucca April 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Hahaha I feel like you just wrote my biography. This was really interesting! Thanks for sharing Chelsey :)

Tina @ Best Body Fitness April 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Love learning more about you…although I already knew a lot of it from our chats and things. Plus, we’re like the same person anyways. ;)

Meg April 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Well you and I are both worriers girl! I seriously get stomach aches because I worry so much sometimes. I am getting better though.

Katie April 12, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Um, we’re basically the same person. Seriously – there is not one thing up there that is also not true about me. Maybe I’ll just copy and paste this post to my own blog…

Oh wait, I don’t like dancing. Ever.

cleaneatingchelsey April 13, 2012 at 6:03 am

I can see you busting a move – come on!

Ashley @ Freckles and Spice April 12, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I am on point with you on a lot of these – especially the type a, worrying, internalizing, and change in attitude on indulging and working out.
I do however get annoyed, or rather easily frazzled, by kids.

elise April 13, 2012 at 11:47 am

i realize a lot of people have said this, but i seriously felt like i was reading about myself when i read this.
conclusion: we may be the same person.
the amount of patience i have for people relies entirely on how much i perceive them to be sorry or not. if they are rude and indifferent, im not likely to be very tolerant. but im still not one to raise a scene or anything. i just get obnoxiously passive aggressive.

Gabby Bladdick April 15, 2012 at 7:04 pm

We are the same person! Worrying is my biggest flaw and I do it all the time. Also a huge overreactor and totally have a type-A personality. Love this survey!