my very first camping experience

October 23, 2012

Admit it — you were out scouring Indiana for me for the last 24 hours in fear that I got eaten by a bear. I did not get eaten, and I also survived my first camping trip! I was insanely proud of myself, and I can’t lie — I even enjoyed it!

Being the high maintenance person that I am, I decided I could only take 24 hours of camping my first go around. Okay, I retract that last statement. I don’t think there is anything wrong with liking a warm bed, a full bathroom, and access to all the food in your kitchen at all times. Not high maintenance.

Everyone else in our group, however, showed up late Friday night to get settled in. The Husband left early Friday morning with Charlie because he had a new toy to pick up in Tennessee (a 4-wheeler), so I drove down by myself on Saturday morning.

From what I can tell though, the shenanigans started once everyone arrived. From the looks of things, my sister in law got a little cross eyed from drinking too much, everyone enjoyed being hygienic, and I have no idea about the feet other than the fact that the Husband probably freaked out because he hates feet so much. That’s all I can give you on those interesting pictures.

camping12

The drive down on Saturday was wonderful — I had a Starbuck’s iced coffee (a little treat!), some music, and a very clear road. By the time I arrived, everyone was getting out of bed and making breakfast and hanging out. Once everyone was done eating, we cleaned up and headed out to Shades State Park for a little hiking adventure.

camping123
One thing you must understand about my family is that they don’t follow the rules… like ever. Coming from a family of rule followers, this has expanded my horizon to a whole new world. We went onto the “easy” trails, but of course we all veered off course and ended up spending three to four hours climbing hills, trying not to step in puddles, and getting extremely dirty in the process.

I think this next picture sums it all up…

camping24

We did stop to try and take a few group pictures. Unfortunately, Charlie didn’t get the memo. He was too busy trying to look for squirrels in the trees.

553411_4200855414016_973075347_n

Once we got back from hiking, it was already around 5 PM and we were starving. Instead of waiting any longer, the boys got the fire going again, Lani got the chili going, and we all sat around the campfire for hours.

camping2
And because s’mores weren’t enough, we made sure to roast some s’mores cookies. What I would have given for a gluten free one!

camping
Everyone hit the hay kind of early on Saturday night from such a long day, and I am so happy that the Husband’s aunt and uncle let me crash in their camper. I had a nice warm bunk and got a great night’s sleep because of it.

I even told the Husband if he dropped thousands of dollars on a camper I would be willing to do it again. Talk about sacrifice, people.

409238_4200856694048_705985084_n

molly @ heart, sole & cereal October 23, 2012 at 6:16 am

i haven’t been camping in my adult life and honestly i kind of agreed with your initial assessment – i feel like there’s nothing wrong with enjoying a hot shower and nice cozy bed. however, that trip looks like so much fun it might almost be worth it. obviously i would need a camper as well. and potentially a hot tub but i’m not sure how that could be arranged.

Michelle@Peachy Palate October 23, 2012 at 6:24 am

Looks like an awesome camping trip! I’ve never been “proper” camping. We did the whole France camping thing when we were younger but the tents were like little house with gas hobs and what not!

Linz @ Itz Linz October 23, 2012 at 6:56 am

haha glad you enjoyed your first camping experience! my family tries to go every couple years or so… we always bring an air matress!! and my mom always stays in a hotel/motel/something with a real bed close. or she doesn’t join us.

Parita October 23, 2012 at 7:02 am

Fun! I’m not a big “be out in nature for more than a few hours” type person so I’m impressed! I used to go to the campground with my best friend’s family growing up, and it was quite the expereience. :) Glad you had good time!

Sarah Waninger October 23, 2012 at 7:08 am

I’m from IN, where did you stay? Would’ve loved to have met up!

Lauren October 23, 2012 at 7:13 am

Haha, you and me are one in the same!! The only way I will go camping is if it involves a really nice camper or cabin with wi-fi, a hot shower, and good food. High maintenance maybe, but I have my priorities. :)

Kelsey October 23, 2012 at 7:20 am

Haha, I love the update! It’s so fun to read!

When I was little I l loved going camping for a weekend with my family. Now, I agree – 24 is just long enough!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats October 23, 2012 at 7:27 am

Looks like so much fun! Now that I think of it, I’ve never actually gone “real” camping and pitched a tent but it sure would be interesting!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 23, 2012 at 7:36 am

You made some great memories = a successful weekend (in my opinion)….. You rule breakers ;)

Kim@hungryhealthygirl October 23, 2012 at 7:37 am

I am so much like you. I am all for sitting around the campfire eating s’mores, but when it’s time to go to bed I want a comfy place to sleep. Looks like a blast!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 23, 2012 at 7:39 am

I’m glad you had fun, it looks like a blast!! (I’m one of those crazies that looooves camping) And there were HILLS in that picture! Haha

Chana October 23, 2012 at 7:42 am

That is a great picture of the group at the end!! I am right there with you on the camping and needing a bed and a bathroom! When I was younger (teenager) the idea of sleeping in a tent didn’t bother me at all. Now in my early 30′s I need my comfort. We have now started using cabins at our State Park and that is so much better!! Plus, with 2 boys (4 and 1) I tell the hubby that we need that comfort for the kids! LOL.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 23, 2012 at 7:51 am

glad you enjoyed the experience! I love camping so much, but I can usually only take a couple days at a time. Then I start to miss the kitchen/showering regularly too much. The hiking trip looks like a lot of fun!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots October 23, 2012 at 8:00 am

glad you had fun!! I dont know if i could do it!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige October 23, 2012 at 8:06 am

What a trooper, Chelsey! We have similar views of camping. It’s the bugs for me!!

christina October 23, 2012 at 8:33 am

Love all the pictures. Glad you survived!!

Beks October 23, 2012 at 8:34 am

We have a pop up camper, and camping has been much more enjoyable since getting it back in 1998. I’m up off the ground, my feet stay dry when it’s raining. Good times. Pretty sure you can rent them from places that sell campers.

I miss hiking, though. Haven’t gone on a good hike in YEARS!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life October 23, 2012 at 8:56 am

Hahaha, so much fun!
I’ve been camping a few times, and it was total tent-style. No running water, no bathrooms…NOTHING. Each time has actually been on an island, so we had to travel there by boat, too.
The things we do for the men in our lives. ;)

Natalie @ Free Range Human October 23, 2012 at 8:57 am

So glad you had fun and enjoyed the outdoors! I’m pretending I didn’t see that part about going off trail ;)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 23, 2012 at 9:00 am

Glad you enjoyed it! Looks fun!

Cara's Healthy Cravings October 23, 2012 at 9:09 am

Congratulations!
You should continue to embrace camping…it allows you to fully appreciate and see so many beautiful spots around your area and the country.

Rachel October 23, 2012 at 9:46 am

haha sounds like you had fun! I’m too scared to go camping… the extent of me “roughing it” is going upstate to my aunts cabin haha and by cabin I mean house lol

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 23, 2012 at 9:54 am

Smores cookies? hmm…pretty much sounds amazing! Glad you survived ;)

Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 23, 2012 at 9:54 am

My favorite part of camping? How even the most basic food tastes amazing. Like I could be eating a slice of plain bread and think it’s the greatest thing I’ve ever had. Glad you had a good time :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 23, 2012 at 9:59 am

That looks like so much fun!!! I’m glad you had a great time. :)

Lisa October 23, 2012 at 10:15 am

Glad to hear you survived and had a great time;) It looks like a lot of fun! Not too sure if I could do it though! The bugs and all those things is what really puts me off. Fine, not doing my hair or makeup my be part of that too. Oh and my comfy bed…I have issues possibly.

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 23, 2012 at 10:21 am

I’m glad that you had fun! I’m sure the camper made things much better :) . I’ve slept on the hard, cold ground, and it was probably a once in a lifetime experience :) .

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) October 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm

You made it- hooray! ;)
I actually love camping, but Ill admit I love coming back to a hot shower afterwards, too!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com October 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I LOVE camping but don’t get to go very often. It looks like you had a great time-think you’ll go again???

Amber K October 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Growing up we went camping pretty much every weekend. I have only gone a couple of times as an adult and I prefer hotel rooms… or at least an RV.

janetha {meals & moves} October 23, 2012 at 3:13 pm

i am so glad you went camping! it’s the best.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Glad you survived! I guess I could manage 1 day of camping… especially if I could sleep in a “real bed,” but any more than that… no thanks!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 23, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Yay I’m glad you made it out in one piece! It looks like you guys had a good time – I always love getting to sit around a campfire and just hang out with my friends/family! Also is it just me or does chili (or any other food) made on a camping trip taste a million times better than anything you could make at home?

Lani October 23, 2012 at 8:55 pm

You DID it! So proud of you Chelsey. I will be sure to pass this on to our dear friend Katie, so she can read all about your adventures! Can’t believe you pulled it off-I know how much you were looking forward to it. Thanks for always keeping us readers laughing with your off beat sense of humor.

Katie October 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Chels… I am sad you didnt mention me eating the moss.. (see above.) Next recipe has to include it… but other than that, i enjoyed seeing your lovely photos. Adam does not appreciate the one of us all by the fire. his face is lovely.

Aldis Miller October 30, 2012 at 12:43 am

Hey that’s great. 24 hours camping sounds cool. camping with a group is always a fun experience. what did you enjoyed the most during the camping?