the little things

October 24, 2012

Is it just me, or are the little things in life truly the things that end up making you happy on a daily basis?

Last night I started a new class for grad school, and my teacher seriously rocks. Not only is he a teacher himself (who is still in the classroom in his sixties), but he totally gets the fact that we’re busy people. We got out of class 2.5 hours early. I’m not joking you when I tell you I literally leapt down the hallway after class I was so happy.

I thought it would be fun to share a few things that seem to put a smile on my face, regardless of how my day was going before. Hopefully you’ll share some of yours as well.

• Hearing my favorite song on the radio while driving
  • Seeing Charlie’s reaction when I walk through the door, no matter if I was gone five minutes or five hours
  • My favorite baristas giving me extras for free instead of charging me an arm and a leg
  • My students giving me a picture, writing me a note, or telling me how much they love having me as their teacher
  • Watching a funny Friends clip (seriously, I had to put that one in there)
  • Babies laughing
  • feeling like I could laugh until I cry
  • Getting surprise packages/cards in the mail from good friends (Thanks, Ash and Court!)

• Seeing little boys in suits (seriously, how cute is this!?)
  • A few 75 degree days in October
  • A free night to sit and relax
  • Good news when you expect the worst
  • Turning the page in a new book
  • An unexpected hug

And just in case you want to read through about 800 more little things and nod your head at about every single one, go to this blog. I love it.

I’ll be back tomorrow with a (late) WIAW, but I thought this would be fun to share today!

Question: What little thing in life always seems to turn your mood around?

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 24, 2012 at 6:38 am

love you! and love your list. Molly always makes me feel the same, and I love when friends pop up on gchat, when the bus comes right when I get to the stop, and when I can answer a question correctly in class!

Linz @ Itz Linz October 24, 2012 at 6:41 am

Little things in life? Going for a walk and enjoying being outside and thinking about how many thinks I’m blessed like… sometimes we all need to remind ourselves of those things!

Tracey @Cooking With Love October 24, 2012 at 7:10 am

I love this list Chelsey! I feel the same way too. You don’t find many teachers in college that understand when they only teach at night and have their whole day free. I love the little things in life and we often get so caught up in our daily work life that we forget how to relax and feel all warm and cozy inside. :)

Parita October 24, 2012 at 7:15 am

I just wrote a post about the little things and how much happiness they bring. Something that always makes me smile is waking up next to my husband. Such a great way to start the day!

Lauren October 24, 2012 at 7:20 am

Love your little reminders. :) Thinking about you always lady!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 24, 2012 at 7:28 am

I love that you included babies laughing in there – that really is the cutest thing in the universe!

Katie @ Livehalffull October 24, 2012 at 7:55 am

I agree 100%-the little things make life happy! Little things that made my morning happy this morning were my hubby waking up to turn the coffee on for me before the gym and chit chat with the ladies in the locker room as I was getting ready. Plus, it’s sunny and 70 in Chicago today. This is unheard of for October so I’m enjoying it!

Bethany October 24, 2012 at 8:04 am

This was the best post to finish off my blog-reading this morning – Thank you!

Emily October 24, 2012 at 8:05 am

An awesome song that came on during spin this morning TOTALLY changed my entire outlook for the day! I love the little things in life that make me happy!!!

Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian October 24, 2012 at 8:07 am

I love this post! I love when little babies smile, when the coffee you made at home comes out perfectly, when my boyfriend surprises me with flowers or a really awesome hug when he gets home from work.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life October 24, 2012 at 8:29 am

Love you, friend! xoxo

Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome October 24, 2012 at 8:33 am

My Love Nugget (my son) blowing me kisses and waving goodbye as I drive off for the gym. Just happened last night and melted my heart :-)

christina October 24, 2012 at 8:35 am

What a great list. It’s so important to focus on what makes us happy and not letting the daily frustrations get to us! Have you ever read God Never Blinks? I think you need to check it out. I’m a huge fan of it and am telling everyone to read it. And btw, I have been watching SO much of Friends lately!

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 24, 2012 at 8:51 am

Taking the time to appreciate the little things is amazing. Life is too short not to!! I don’t know what I’d do without this ability.
I’m glad that you’ve found serenity and that you’ve found your small comfort moments. Optimism like this can’t be bought, yet another little thing to be grateful to have. :)

Natalie @ Free Range Human October 24, 2012 at 9:07 am

Have you seen the commercial of all the people laughing hysterically? Lately, it seems like that’s all it takes for me to get a little happy!

Beks October 24, 2012 at 9:09 am

Little things. Hmm…rain storms, definitely (though it’s been far too gray and misty here lately. Not rainy, but misty. It’s like living in Sherlock Holmes London without the intrigue).

Also, my kitty. She’s a bitty thing (compared to our other two cats), but she just makes me so happy. Even when she gets sick on my bed after I’ve just changed the sheets. I get annoyed, but I get over it quickly. Not like she does it on purpose. She’s just such a sweetie.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 24, 2012 at 9:10 am

Love you Chels! This is a great list… I couldn’t agree more with most of these! Babies laughing is a great one. It gets me every time! :)

Rachel October 24, 2012 at 9:48 am

Hmmm little things that make me happy are waking up to my cat snuggled next to me :D he always makes me smile haha

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 24, 2012 at 9:48 am

Some on my list: accomplishing a PR in a workout, going on a relaxing walk, a massage, reading a good book, enjoying a nice meal with family/friends, and getting love and attention from my doggies…truly unconditional love!

Ashley @ LibertyBelles October 24, 2012 at 10:03 am

My work schedule is very volatile so unexpectedly getting out of work early really makes me happy! Also my bf emailed me a couple youtube comedy clips of Aziz Ansari (Tom from Parks and Recreation) sooo funny. Totally brightened my day! Seriously go Youtube is “Harris” skit!

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 24, 2012 at 10:24 am

Love this post. It’s definitely the little things that make my day – like when a complete stranger gives you a compliment or does something kind just because. Or when a friend I haven’t seen or talked to in a while texts/calls just to say hi and they miss me. :) Have a great day!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 24, 2012 at 10:24 am

Watching an episode of ‘Friends’ always makes me happy too!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 24, 2012 at 11:11 am

I definitely agree that it’s all about the little things. Getting complimented by a stranger is something that always puts a smile on my face. Same goes for puppy paws, laughing babies, and cappuccinos :D

Missy October 24, 2012 at 11:19 am

I just need to be sure you have this website bookmarked (0:

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 24, 2012 at 11:21 am

:) Ditto to the little things- they are what makes life worth living, they get us from moment to moment and when we learn to be thankful for the little things- life just seems to glow.
Little things: a sunny day, a long walk, a good prayer, hearing a child laugh with their whole heart, a true smile, hearing a good verse that you neeeeeded to hear, the perfect glass of wine :)
Your teacher must REALLY ROCK! Good teachers are such a blessing- so inspiring and you can learn sooooo much by their actions!

Dr. Mark October 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm

It’s the little things in life that make the difference…indeed. The key is in recognizing them. There are people who experience all those things and don’t appreciate them. You have to be happy already to see them :)

Tina @ Best Body Fitness October 24, 2012 at 12:38 pm

So many good little things. Although I’m a bit bummed I’m not in there somewhere. Oh, wait. I’m a BIG THING. I get it now. ;) #imsohumble

PS – We need a catch up SOON!

Olviya @servingsisters.com October 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I was reading this on my way to class, and when I got there and saw that it was cancelled I knew I had to comment;) cancelled classes make me happy…and so does coffee. The smell of freshly ground beans bring a smile to my face, the first sip of coffee-deliciousness takes my happiness to another level:)

Amber K October 24, 2012 at 1:08 pm

The little things in life…I agree! They don’t always occur to me in the moment, but they make me smile. Like when a stranger holds the door open for me or my husband grabs my hand in the grocery store.

Verenique B October 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm

one thing that puts a huge smile on my face.
my sweet 4yo girls giving me a huge hug and saying “i love you mommy!”
:) :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 24, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Definitely my pug! No matter how bad of a day I have, I can’t possibly look at him without smiling!

Cara October 24, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Great post Chelsey! Thanks for the reminder to appreciate the little things in life, they are truly what matter.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 24, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Love this! Seeing elderly couples going on walks together, experiencing an unusually warm day in the fall, and treating myself to takeout always turns my mood around!

Danica @ It's Progression October 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Love this post–it’s so easy to appreciate the little things yet so important to embrace them!
Every time I get a little note/picture from one of my students it never fails to make me smile and just feel loved and appreciated. The innocence behind it is the best part.

STUFT Mama October 25, 2012 at 12:19 am

Oh yay- love this post Chelsea. Just sitting with my boys and either singing or reading a book makes any poopy day better. :)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 25, 2012 at 8:58 am

Love this post, I especially agree with hearing your favorite song, watching a favorite show (Friends!), and your dog’s reaction when you walk in the door (SO happy!!). I had a lot of little things go my way yesterday too, and it was great. I was so thankful and fully appreciated them!

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles October 25, 2012 at 9:59 am

Agreed, it really is the little things. I just have to remind myself to stop and appreciate them more often!

Irina @ Chocolatea Time October 25, 2012 at 10:29 am

I completely agree – it’s really the little things that make me happiest in a given moment. Waking up to sunny skies and chirping birds, having time to make a special breakfast, foamy coffee, crisp fall air…the list is endless if you really think about it!

K October 25, 2012 at 11:48 am

I just found your blog today and it was right on time! Literally every thing you listed makes me smile (except the 2nd one, since I don’t know Charlie lol…but I get the idea :-) . Thanks so much – your post just turned my mood around!

Annette@FitnessPerks October 25, 2012 at 1:10 pm

GREAT list! Kissing my husband before falling asleep. Having a nice long chat with a sister. Clicking “buy” on Amazon. (someone had to say it!) Walking through crunchy leaves. Staring out my window to the snow-covered mountains!

Lindsay October 25, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I love this :) Have you seen Thought Catalog’s list of perfect life moments? http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/32-of-lifes-perfect-moments/ If you haven’t, I had to share!!!

Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition October 25, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Love this post! I definitely agree with all of these:)

funnyclipsonline October 26, 2012 at 2:04 am

It is really interesting for me to read this article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them.

funniest videos

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 26, 2012 at 5:53 pm

It really is the little things in life that make it so special. One of my favorite things is a baby smile. It always makes me so happy inside. :)