hug them tight

December 15, 2012

I was going to post my second installment of the Christmas blogging challenge this morning. However, I just can’t seem to do it in light of everything that happened yesterday. My heart and my prayers go out to everyone that was affected by the terrible tragedy in Connecticut. I’m trying to work through how I am going to handle this with my students on Monday, as I am sure they will have questions and fears during our morning meeting time. I can’t imagine the magnitude of grief that community is feeling right now.  Words cannot even express it.

God's Peace

God can handle your doubt, anger, fear, grief, confusion, and questions.

source

Hug your kids a little tighter today.

Christina December 15, 2012 at 8:41 am

Praying hard.

Tracey Brown December 15, 2012 at 8:48 am

Chelsey you are a compassion and intelligent young woman and I know you will find the right words to comfort and console your charges on Monday morning. For now praise God that it was not your school and that you live to teach our youth how to move forward and improve our world little by little.

Thank you for being a teacher. It’s a role that takes a lot of courage and I know you can face Monday.

Jennifer December 15, 2012 at 9:35 am

Amen.

Ali December 15, 2012 at 9:40 am

I saw this on Facebook and thought it was a great way to see the positive in any trauma/disaster type story. Maybe it could help you on Monday:

“when I was a little boy and I would see things in the news, my mother would say, “look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” to this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words , and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers– so many caring people in this world.” (Fred Rogers)

Kim L. December 15, 2012 at 10:13 am

Well said. Praying for you as you prepare to be with your students on Monday.

Michelle December 15, 2012 at 10:13 am

Praying also.

Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 15, 2012 at 11:21 am

Words can’t express it is right. I become an absolute wreck whenever I start thinking about it… Like now :(

Angela @ Beauty in Strength December 15, 2012 at 11:46 am

Beautifully written. Prayer is the the greatest thing we can do right now. There is such a lack of love in the world and those that commit these horrific crimes are those that lack it the most. I too am struggling on how to address this with my fifth graders come Monday, but what I do know is I will try to shine as much love, truth, and spirit as I possibly can.

Christine December 15, 2012 at 11:52 am

Well said!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy December 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I’m praying. I have to stop thinking about it, because I just keep crying. If I’m feeling this way, I cannot even imagine what those who are directly affected are going through. It sickens me.

Brandy December 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I really love that second pin, do you know if it is from a devotional??

Jessica December 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Chelsey
Thank you so much for this post. I am a daily reader of your blog, a Connecticut resident as well as the girlfriend of a Connecticut educator and it is people like you who help us feel some comfort in this devastating time. Thank you from so many of us. Hug those little ones tight on Monday morning!

Katrina Marie December 15, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I immediately thought of you when this happened.
I too am praying- God bless you. It is so sad to think that every one of those children and brave adults woke up and ate breakfast yesterday morning completely unassuming. I hope those parents all hugged them tight.

lindsay December 15, 2012 at 8:45 pm

well said. hugs, prayers, and mourning

Beks December 15, 2012 at 9:24 pm

God always has the right word to say. Praying hard for everyone.

lindsay @ fuel my family December 16, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Mine both got extra hugs at midnight when i just woke up to pee :) . My oldest will be in kindergarten next year and its just so unimaginable what happened!

RBee December 16, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thanks for the verse. I’d like to add this one: “These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

Christine December 16, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I would really like to hear what questions your students have and what you tell them. How old are your students? My son is six, and I don’t think he knows anything about the shooting. But I wonder if he might hear something and whether I should mention it to him. I just can’t being to fathom what to say.