chewy pumpkin spice granola bars

October 11, 2011

Have you entered my Daily Gourmet giveaway yet? Enter here!

It’s been three days.

October 10, 2011 011-1

I swear, that was the hardest three days of my life. Okay, I lied. The hardest three days of my life was probably something other than not posting a pumpkin recipe for a short amount of time. #dramaqueen

On Sunday, when we were driving downtown to watch the Chicago Marathon, I couldn’t help but notice my friend whip out her pumpkin spice granola bar. I have to be honest with you, I was a little bit jealous. And when I say a little bit, I mean I was jealous in a bad way. Jealous like “I want your new Ugg boots the first snow of the season” jealous. Yeah, it was bad.

October 10, 2011 008-1
So we had this conversation about how those granola bars are wheat free, but oats can be contaminated with gluten, blah blah blah. Long story short, I couldn’t eat the granola bar. Nor can I find one on the market that appeals to my taste buds, which was causing a problem for me.

October 10, 2011 007-1
Almost instantly, I began thinking of a recipe that could compare to her granola bar. I wanted a bar that was chewy and flavorful with different textures throughout. We’ve got a winner, folks!

October 10, 2011 031-1
Now the only problem I am having is keeping myself away from the pan that I baked these in. Although, I’m not quite sure that’s such a problem — mainly because they’re not in the pan anymore. I guess I should have said the only problem I am having is keeping myself away from the bag I put these in after I took them out of the pan. Much better.

October 10, 2011 013

I no longer have any reason to be jealous of granola bars.

Go make these. Now.

Lauren October 11, 2011 at 6:06 am

I love chewy bars! These look fantastic!

katie October 11, 2011 at 6:16 am

Cherry has my heart!

These look so good, and chewy is a must for me!

Happy Tuesday!

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign October 11, 2011 at 6:27 am

Ooo I will be making these stat! I love granola bars that have all kinds of different tastes and textures in them.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 11, 2011 at 6:27 am

Great recipe! Looks really good, and perfect to take to school :)

Khushboo October 11, 2011 at 6:28 am

Quaker, you are going dooown! These look so yum- love how easy they seem! And chances of getting bored is zilch because you can just sub in ingredients! Merci!

Heather October 11, 2011 at 6:32 am

Oh, Chelsey. You’ve done it again. These look fantastic!

MilesMusclesMom October 11, 2011 at 6:36 am

and we have love.
these look amazing. cannot wait to make them :) thank you

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 11, 2011 at 6:42 am

These look awesome and what a great way to combine everyone’s fave ingredient this time of year: pumpkin! and put it in bar form. Nice :)

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! October 11, 2011 at 6:44 am

I’m obsessed with pumpkin granola bars as well. They just hit the spot!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 11, 2011 at 6:47 am

Oh yum! These look fabulous, Chelsea! And, I wont judge you for bringing pumpkin back, even though you promised you’d take a little break. I’ve been having it daily, too!

cleaneatingchelsey October 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm

It’s beeing giving me the tan glow I need this time of year. ;)

katie @KatieDid October 11, 2011 at 6:53 am

haha I’m pretty sure the word pumpkin has crept into my blog posts for the past few weeks in some form or another also. This past weekend I watched people race giant hollowed out pumpkins as boats in a lake- that pretty much trumped all pumpkin posts of mine hah.

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 11, 2011 at 7:00 am

I was jealous and I wasn’t even in the car. Like you have the angle student- and that student’s mom brings you a coconut or something else delicious and ‘exotic’ :)
I’ll be making these! Tomorrow?! Yep, I’ll pencil you in!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 11, 2011 at 7:19 am

those look so good! I usually bring a granola bar to school with me every day for an afternoon snack, I should make these! It would be much cheaper than the ones I buy!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 11, 2011 at 7:21 am

Ahh this is the story of my life. I can never eat store bought granola bars! :(

These look amazing though and I will definitely be making them!

cleaneatingchelsey October 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm

You can eat these though!

Marijke October 11, 2011 at 7:35 am

These look delicious! I am bookmarking this recipe for when I get my hands on some pumpkin!!!

Katie October 11, 2011 at 7:38 am

I WILL gobble these up by the fistful this week…bookmaking and adding the ingredients to my grocery list for today! Thaaank you! And happy Tuesday – hope those little 5th graders are sweet to you today. :-)

cleaneatingchelsey October 11, 2011 at 12:06 pm

woohoo! let me know how you like them!

Rhonda G. October 11, 2011 at 7:44 am

omg! THANK YOU for posting this! it doesn’t have honey in it! first recipe for granola bars that i’ve seen without honey! we have severe allergies in our house to honey! will definitely be trying these!

cleaneatingchelsey October 11, 2011 at 12:06 pm

so glad they will work for you and your family, Rhonda!

Lindsay @ biking before bed October 11, 2011 at 7:57 am

Wow those look like the would rock the socks off any store bought granola bar. And I actually have every ingredient in my pantry. That never happens! Remind me to hide my Uggs if u ever visit my home:)

cleaneatingchelsey October 11, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I’ll make you these bars if you let me steal your uggs. Fair deal.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 11, 2011 at 8:07 am

Yummy! Those look great, and I think they’ll make it on my weekend to-do list!

Rebecca October 11, 2011 at 8:08 am

I love that I’m benefiting from your bar envy :) These are going to make an incredible lunch box addition…you know to make that girl with the microwaved mac n’ cheese jealous ;)

Pure2raw twins October 11, 2011 at 8:08 am

YUM! these bars look great love that addition of pumpkin…love my pumpkin :)

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) October 11, 2011 at 8:19 am

Wow how incredibly yummy, I love granola bars :D

Shannon @ Healthiful Balance October 11, 2011 at 8:34 am

These look great! I’ve never made my own bars before but will def make these sometime! :D

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 11, 2011 at 9:05 am

Ditto what everybody else said. These are great. These rock. I’ll make these. Yadda yadda.
The real question is: are you excited about the socks???

cleaneatingchelsey October 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I am excited about the socks. Are you excited about your surprise? You should be!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm

uhhh..yeah!! Like Christmas morning excited! Just mailed yours today – should get there on thursday or friday!!! weeeee!!

nicole marie October 11, 2011 at 9:22 am

anything with cranberries makes me so happy.
i met my best non-sister friend, through my dog, through cranberries! long story. :)
thank you for another fab recipe!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 11, 2011 at 9:59 am

My granola bars tend to fall apart when I cut them up– I need to try this recipe, because yours look perfect!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 11, 2011 at 9:59 am

The special granola bars. I’ve been waiting like…12 hours for this recipe. ;)

cleaneatingchelsey October 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm

haha yay!

Kristine @ Running on Hungry October 11, 2011 at 10:36 am

I LOVE this recipe and I love it even more because I have EVERYTHING necessary to make it in my kitchen! I’ve been looking for a yummy recipe for my can of pumpkin!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

These looks delish & I love all of the ingredients! I’ve never made my own granola bars, but I might be giving these a try soon!

Laura (NourishandBloom) October 11, 2011 at 10:48 am

Just what I’ve been wanting to make for my kiddos (and I will snag some myself!) … Gluten Free guaranteed in your own kitchen! This recipe will work with almond butter or coconut too… I can see them all now in my future! : )

Katie @ Raisins&Apples October 11, 2011 at 11:43 am

dried cranberries + pumpkin = happy

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 11, 2011 at 11:43 am

Ooh yummy! The chewier the better for granola bars for me and I love that these are sweetened with agave nectar. Thanks!

Amber K October 11, 2011 at 11:49 am

Chewy bars are the best! These look delicious.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm

This sounds like granola bar heaven!

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life October 11, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I totally just book marked this page! I’m so going to make them this weekend or sooner! YUM! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land October 11, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I was just thinking this morning how I need to make some granola bars for snacks for my kiddos–and I don’t hate the fact that these just happen to be gluten free *and* contain pumpkin. It’s a win-win situation.

Michaela October 11, 2011 at 1:51 pm

yuuuuuuuum! I love bars so much and these seem perfect with the different flavours and textures… guess I have a recipe to make tomorrow afternoon ;)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 11, 2011 at 2:10 pm

These look SOOOO good! I love pumpkin baked goods! I can’t believe these have no oil added either! Thats awesome!

Brittany October 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I was just thinking that I need a new granola bar recipe. Thank you Chelsey!!

char @ char on a mission October 11, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I WOULD make these right now, if I didn’t have to leave for work in 15 mins…damn work. I LOVE chewy granola bars though and these are perfect for packing to take to uni with me! I need more snack ideas lately because I’ve turned into such a snacker! ah!

Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza October 11, 2011 at 2:21 pm

What a great looking recipe! I’ve yet to attempt my own granola bars, but I think I just may tackle it soon! I’ve been in a baking mood lately! :)

Courtney October 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm

These look so good. I’ve been loving granola bars lately, and these are going on my list for next week’s eats. =)

Fred smith October 11, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Hey- looks awesome. Maybe you could work on making it possible to print recipe. Just hoping you can do that.

cleaneatingchelsey October 11, 2011 at 8:36 pm

ask and you shall receive!

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) October 11, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Chelsey!!! Thank you sooo much for posting this recipe. I love that I actually have all the ingredients because it doesn’t call for fancy shmancy stuff. There’s nothing I hate more than getting excited about a recipe and realizing that the ingredients would cost me a fortune (and that I wouldn’t be able to find them at my local market anyway). I can’t wait to try these!

Emily October 11, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Mmmm…chewy bars are my favorite! And, of course, anything with pumpkin is a win in my book!

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) October 11, 2011 at 9:55 pm

PS have you been refrigerating the leftovers?

cleaneatingchelsey October 12, 2011 at 5:49 am

no, but in a few days, they’ll probably be put into the freezer!

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles October 11, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Mmmm, can it be the weekend already so I can get in the mood to bake?

Alexis @ hummusapien October 11, 2011 at 10:21 pm

i’m obsessed with everything pumpkin…so I’ll have to make these for sure! Plus I just got some new pumpkin pie spice from TJ’s. I love how easy these are :)

Natalie @ Cinnamon Bums October 11, 2011 at 11:58 pm

um these look amazing! pumpkin + granola = 2 of my favorite things. this is going on my pinterest right about now!

Amy October 22, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I made these last weekend. They are very yummy and, although I think I added a little too much liquid (I subbed the maple syrup for some berry syrup I had so perhaps it lost some of that needed sugar), they still stayed together though perhaps weren’t as ‘chewy’ as yours.

alison November 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I just made these and they are great!

felice September 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I just made these, but with some modifications and they are yummy. I did not have pumpkin puree on hand so I used apple sauce instead. I omitted the chocolate chips and added pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds. This is a great base recipe, I can’t wait to try it with pumpkin puree! Thanks for sharing.

Life's a Bowl October 16, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I’m totally taking your advice and making these ASAP, yum!!! I’m gonna have to make them this weekend while the hubby is out doing something or else I bet that he’ll eat them all straight out of the pan!

Bonny October 21, 2012 at 11:53 am

I think you have a typo somewhere in your recipe. You do not have oat flour in the ingredients list but you have oat flour in the directions??????

cleaneatingchelsey October 22, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Nope, there’s no typo! If you look above at the directions, the 2 cups oats says divided. You use 1/2 cup of oats to process into oat flour. Enjoy!